Best headphones for Ipod

davemclaren

Got an Ipod Classic for Chrimbo. Any recommendations on a decent pair of headphones for them? I like a strong bass sound. :)

Tazio is 100% correct IMO. I love those Bose noise reduction head phones. Fantastic but pricey

Tazio is 100% correct IMO. I love those Bose noise reduction head phones. Fantastic but pricey

Pay for the name. Better 'lesser' named products out there at a reduced price.

However people love to follow names ................ (over quality) .........

;)

Those aren't the noise reduction ones Tom. I bought them in the states for $179, the noise reduction ones were around the $249 mark. Even I couldn't work out how to justify that.

Damn good though, I hear things on tracks I didn't realise were there before. The only downside is that they are so good they also show up poor production.

I've got these, and haven't heard anything better.

Maybe hide the receipt from the wife though?

Bose

You ain't kidding about hiding the receipt are you? :eek:

;)

Part of my work includes professional audio. I spent a long time choosing those headphones. And as for the name I would never buy Bose professional speakers as they are poor for the money, these headphones justify the price.

;)

Ignoring the irony, name them. :P

;)

Believe me Ive tried others and as I say in "my opinion" Bose are the best ones, certainly best for me. I have the noise reduction ones and nothing that I have tried come close. Sure they are expensive but good things typically are. Is it any coincidence that you haven't told us what the other "unbranded" ones are

Believe me Ive tried others and as I say in "my opinion" Bose are the best ones, certainly best for me. I have the noise reduction ones and nothing that I have tried come close

Likewise and found quite a few better.

I will put it down to personal preference , however a few respected magazines seemed to agree with me.

Taz, do the headphones twist?

I mean can you swivel the the actual bits that cover your ears.

Yes, up and own, side to side. Lovely soft foam as well. Not the best for DJ work though as they have a lot of bass.

I had a pair of Griffin ear thumps, decent and very reasonably priced, you can get them for around the ?15 mark, maybe cheaper on Ebay.

Then I bought these

http://www.bose.com/controller?event=view_product_page_event&product=triport_ie_headphones_index

Totally different view of music. These just blew everything else I've heard away. I got them off Ebay for about ?45 which was a bargain, I think they retail at about ?75 here.

Like any music system it's only as good as the weakest link, for MP3 players that's usually the headphones. If you're spending around ?200 for a decent MP3 player why skimp on crappy headphones?

Yes, up and own, side to side. Lovely soft foam as well. Not the best for DJ work though as they have a lot of bass.

A quality mixer like my Rane badboy take out all of the bass so that's not a problem. Have you tried DJing before? You obviously know that we usually mix with the top end sounds like cymbols and snares etc

I had a pair of Griffin ear thumps, decent and very reasonably priced, you can get them for around the ?15 mark, maybe cheaper on Ebay.

Then I bought these

http://www.bose.com/controller?event=view_product_page_event&product=triport_ie_headphones_index

Totally different view of music. These just blew everything else I've heard away. I got them off Ebay for about ?45 which was a bargain, I think they retail at about ?75 here.

Like any music system it's only as good as the weakest link, for MP3 players that's usually the headphones. If you're spending around ?200 for a decent MP3 player why skimp on crappy headphones?

They look superb.

Read a couple of customer reviews and they sound like next level quality.

A quality mixer like my Rane badboy take out all of the bass so that's not a problem. Have you tried DJing before? You obviously know that we usually mix with the top end sounds like cymbols and snares etc

Not my thing as I'm pretty sure I would be rotten at it. Just dealt with a lot of DJ's over the years. Generally they are trying to borrow stuff as they seem to have a complete inability to remember all their cables etc:527:

Likewise and found quite a few better.

I will put it down to personal preference , however a few respected magazines seemed to agree with me.

But they were that good that their names escape you;)

But they were that good that their names escape you;)

Not escapes. I spent a few months testing IMO the best ones.

I aint doing your homework.

Each to their own.

IMO Bose came nowhere near others ......

;)

Not my thing as I'm pretty sure I would be rotten at it. Just dealt with a lot of DJ's over the years. Generally they are trying to borrow stuff as they seem to have a complete inability to remember all their cables etc:527:

Sounds about right.

It's always 4-ways i forget.

Each to their own.

;)

I dont need their names, I was just curious. I'm perfectly happy with my overpriced Bose. But as I said price is, or can be for the most part a reflection of quality. For instance there is a reason that a Mercedes or BMW are more expensive than a Vauxhall.

Each to their own.

;)

Thanks for contributing then. :wacko:

Each to their own.

;)

how do you rate sennheisers?

A few guys i know that DJ swear by them but i like the chunky sony ones here

79ce_1.JPG

They cling on quite tightly and they perform well at club volume. The sennheisers slip off, are more expensive and look plasticy. They also don't seem to sound much better.

If you spend serious dosh Sennheisers are very good. I have a pair of their in ear ones around the ?40 mark and they are excellent. I also have a pair of their lower end professionals for work and they are also very good and could be used for portable work. Shure are also making good kit just now. It's all down to preference really and I would never buy before spending a long time comparing once you get to that sort of budget.

If you spend serious dosh Sennheisers are very good. I have a pair of their in ear ones around the ?40 mark and they are excellent. I also have a pair of their lower end professionals for work and they are also very good and could be used for portable work. Shure are also making good kit just now. It's all down to preference really and I would never buy before spending a long time comparing once you get to that sort of budget.

These are the ones that many DJs i know use.

ec85_1.JPG

HD25's, i'm not a fan.

I like shure stuff i use these shure white label carts, they are tremendous. Really light, amazing tracking and don't damage your vinyl, even if scratching.

a5_2.JPG

I P Knightley

No mysteries from me here:

Tried Sennheisers costing about ?35 and they fell to bits.

Then got Bose Triport in-ear (no shame, I bought the 'name') and the difference was amazing. Bit of a hassle with the interchangeable ear-size thingies and eventually, the cable went just beside the jack. No hesitation in replacing them but am off to the States next month and might just look at the noise-reduction ones.

Really should have in-ear, though as the others won't go below my cycle helmet!

The Mighty Thor
No mysteries from me here:

Tried Sennheisers costing about ?35 and they fell to bits.

Then got Bose Triport in-ear (no shame, I bought the 'name') and the difference was amazing. Bit of a hassle with the interchangeable ear-size thingies and eventually, the cable went just beside the jack. No hesitation in replacing them but am off to the States next month and might just look at the noise-reduction ones.

Really should have in-ear, though as the others won't go below my cycle helmet!

I bought the Bose Triports about a year ago and they are the bollox. A wee bit more expensive but well worth the dough.

Aural peasant that i am, but I bought a ?5 set of JVC in ear headphones from Sainsbury's and they are really good for me and my Nano. Ok, they aren't world beaters but for me they do the job.

Got an ipod classic and the poor sound with the headphones drove me nuts. Didnt want to spend to much as the headphones i use for my mp3 players get pretty battered so bought sennheiser PX100's for ?20 on amazon and they are superb. Only problem is they are open backed so use them on public transport at loud volumes ay everybody hears it.

These are the ones that many DJs i know use.

ec85_1.JPG

HD25's, i'm not a fan.

I like shure stuff i use these shure white label carts, they are tremendous. Really light, amazing tracking and don't damage your vinyl, even if scratching.

a5_2.JPG

I liked these, with agood system around you and good booth etc they are good.... but they dint cut out enuff out side noise.

The chunky Sony are good all though they had a fault and loads had to be recalled a year or so ago, its in the bracket joining the head phone to the band.

I've got a pair of Sennheiser HD580's for my hi-fi and they are excellant. I've tried various Sennheisers for the Ipod and they are all good but not as good as the Shure E3c's that I use now.

Shure has got a new range out -

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Shure-Se210-Sound-Isolating-Earphones/dp/B000POFA1A/ref=pd_bbs_2?ie=UTF8&s=gateway&qid=1200920004&sr=8-2

http://www.shure.co.uk/PersonalAudio/index.htm

The People's Chimp
how do you rate sennheisers?

A few guys i know that DJ swear by them but i like the chunky sony ones here

79ce_1.JPG

They cling on quite tightly and they perform well at club volume. The sennheisers slip off, are more expensive and look plasticy. They also don't seem to sound much better.

yeah those sonys are great. Really chunky, great performance.

I got a pair of icon skullcandy headphones with a subscription to a skiing magazine. they're usually only 20 quid, but they're a great set of headphones for riding with, light and with a nice, punchy sound.

yeah those sonys are great. Really chunky, great performance.

I got a pair of icon skullcandy headphones with a subscription to a skiing magazine. they're usually only 20 quid, but they're a great set of headphones for riding with, light and with a nice, punchy sound.

I'm on my 3rd pair of these Sony phones. The first 2 lasted 5 years each which is not bad considering how much i use them.

Ive got some Sennheiser HD 650. They cost me an arm and a leg a few years back but are outstandingly good for sitting at home producing music on cubase or playing games etc. Would never take them out as they are too big for portable iPod wandering around stuff. Plus they cost more than an iPod so if I got robbed id be bartering with the robber. Take the pod leaves my headphones.

Would really like some iPod headphones that played loud. The standard ones are a bit quiet for me. Im not the sort of guy that fills the top deck of a bus with my tunes but if im wandering the streets I like to have my fav songs cranked.

So does anybody know any iPod headphones that play loud ? (and are in the ear portable)

The People's Chimp
Ive got some Sennheiser HD 650. They cost me an arm and a leg a few years back but are outstandingly good for sitting at home producing music on cubase or playing games etc. Would never take them out as they are too big for portable iPod wandering around stuff. Plus they cost more than an iPod so if I got robbed id be bartering with the robber. Take the pod leaves my headphones.

Would really like some iPod headphones that played loud. The standard ones are a bit quiet for me. Im not the sort of guy that fills the top deck of a bus with my tunes but if im wandering the streets I like to have my fav songs cranked.

So does anybody know any iPod headphones that play loud ? (and are in the ear portable)

You could always download the hack that allows you to crank the ipod's volume....:whistling:

The Wicker Man

Depends what style of ear phone you prefer and budget

These are not too bad - Etymotic ER-6i iPod Earphones ( at around ?60)

The Mighty Thor
You could always download the hack that allows you to crank the ipod's volume....:whistling:

Cheers mate!

Just finished doing this. It certainly frees up the volume a huge amount.

:527:

Cheers mate!

Just finished doing this. It certainly frees up the volume a huge amount.

:527:

Do you not find the standard volume enough? I only have mine not even a third of the way up and i use it everyday on the train and find no problem with it. Your ears get used to the low volume after a couple of minutes and you can hear the music just as well as it would be loud. Protects your ears as well.

The Mighty Thor
Do you not find the standard volume enough? I only have mine not even a third of the way up and i use it everyday on the train and find no problem with it. Your ears get used to the low volume after a couple of minutes and you can hear the music just as well as it would be loud. Protects your ears as well.

eh? What was that? :P

I'll test it out on the tube tomorrow and let you know the results!

Archived