What time is 'the back of (insert hour here)'?

HampdenHearts

My friend was picking me up at 'the back of 12' today, now I class the back of 12 as between 12.00 and 12.15.

He then picked me up at 12.35 which I was like 'but you said the back of 12' and said yes 12.35 is the back of 12.

I have heard people claim different times, I would just like to get a majority verdict.

What time do YOU think is 'the back of 12'?

• Replies 149
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Nah I was in my house but I am generally an impatient guy, hate waiting about.

Thank you Sergio.

I'm the same, if someone is picking me up /meeting me I hate when they are late without good reason or letting me know. One of the only times I'm impatient.

I always took it as meaning after half past, ie the back of the hour meaning nearer the end of the hour than the start

I also hated it when I was younger and just moaned about why I wasnt being given a rough time ie "about" half 12.

"About" is a time everyone can understand, might be 5 or 10 minutes before or after but you still generally knew

I always took it as meaning after half past, ie the back of the hour meaning nearer the end of the hour than the start

I also hated it when I was younger and just moaned about why I wasnt being given a rough time ie "about" half 12.

"About" is a time everyone can understand, might be 5 or 10 minutes before or after but you still generally knew

Nah mate, back of 12 is between 12 and 12.15. thumbsup.gif

12.35 is taking the piss. angry.gif

Nah mate, back of 12 is between 12 and 12.15. thumbsup.gif

12.35 is taking the piss. angry.gif

Why not say "just after 12"?

Its obvious his mate thinks the same as me therefore we are right :thumbsup:

Why not say "just after 12"?

Its obvious his mate thinks the same as me therefore we are right :thumbsup:

Did your mum not tell you that 2 wrongs never make a right. tongue.gif

On another note ......

Why do people say that the ball hits the back of the net when a goal is scored? Surely it hits the front of it. blink.gif

My friend was picking me up at 'the back of 12' today, now I class the back of 12 as between 12.00 and 12.15.

He then picked me up at 12.35 which I was like 'but you said the back of 12' and said yes 12.35 is the back of 12.

I have heard people claim different times, I would just like to get a majority verdict.

The back of twelve is 12.35 in your mates eyes. I used to have a mate who got so pedantic about time that I bumped him as he was stressing me out about 20 minutes. I then realised that time is the only thing that friends have for each other..............but it was too late.

On another note ......

Why do people say that the ball hits the back of the net when a goal is scored? Surely it hits the front of it. blink.gif

sensationalism.

On another note ......

And those disgusting people who shit at the back of a tree... :angry:

if i'm picking someone up and tell them it will be the back of 12 that means anything from 12.01 until the last possible minute where i can pick them up, drive like a maniac, run when we park and just make it with seconds to spare for the start no matter what time that is. :ninja:

can never understand when folk complain, we made it. :ermm:

That's spooky! I was honestly thinking about the same thing before I logged in to KB. :unsure:

I'd say just after the hour and quarter past the hour.

Up until about quarter past in my books.

The People's Chimp

Just after the hour.

Spot on. You could stretch to quarter past, but it's really as you say, just after the hour.

BoJack Horseman

This crops up a lot as it's something I've never really understood. If there's so much confusion as to what "the back of" something is then why use it as time at all? Just say when you'll be there. I've never told someone I'll be anywhere at the back of any time.

Logically, if you think about the phrase, at the earliest it would be 12.30. I'd say 12.45 was the back of 12. If there was a queue of 60 people, and you were in position 45, you'd be pretty close to the back of the queue. Laying the minutes out has the same result. Minute 1 - 15 is clearly the front of the hour, and 45 - 60 is the back.

Could it be that on the hour you would turn an hourglass back over on itself!

Anyway 12.01 - 12:14 is what I would class as being the back of 12!

I'd say as most others here, that "the back of 12" is 12.00 to 12.15, though I wouldn't have too much of a problem if someone else meant up to 12.29, as the "back of 12".

Anything after 12.30 though would be considered the front of 1.00. :turned:

My personal explanation is that just after (12) is behind 12 or at the back of 12, so "the back of 12.00" is anytime "just after" 12.00. After 12.15 would be "before 12.30".

Exactly as you have it. With a period of grace towards 20 past.

BoJack Horseman

Those saying 12.01 - 12.15. What's your explanation for it, other than that's what you've always known it as? If you had no prior knowledge of the term, how would you work out what it meant?

Stuart McNeill

You could also possibly say that 1-15minutes will be at the back of the hour. 60, 59, 58 ... 3, 2, 1. Does that make sense :s?

Well it does to me!

12:00-12:15 is back of 12.

BoJack Horseman

If you had shite day yesterday, and today you said "yeah, I was glad to see the back of thursday", you'd mean the end of it right?

Arnold Rothstein

Those saying 12.01 - 12.15. What's your explanation for it, other than that's what you've always known it as? If you had no prior knowledge of the term, how would you work out what it meant?

I always assumed it was 'the back of' as in 'coming just after'. Not often used in other examples granted but you could say a bus has come just at the back of another.

BoJack Horseman

I always assumed it was 'the back of' as in 'coming just after'. Not often used in other examples granted but you could say a bus has come just at the back of another.

That makes a bit more sense. I guess I'm looking at it as 'the back of the 12th hour' rather than 'the back of 12 o'clock'.

That makes a bit more sense. I guess I'm looking at it as 'the back of the 12th hour' rather than 'the back of 12 o'clock'.

The back of the 12th hour would be around 11.45. As soon as it hits 12 you are into the 13th hour of the day.

BoJack Horseman

The back of the 12th hour would be around 11.45. As soon as it hits 12 you are into the 13th hour of the day.

Semantics. You know what I meant.

Semantics. You know what I meant.

I know what you meant yes.

I'm just pointing out why those who think the back of 12 is 12.30-13.00 are wrong.

My understanding is the" back of" the hour would be around a quarter past until half past.Anything before that would be "jist efter" the hour.

If someone said the back of 12 and you had no idea what they meant then surely you would ask for clarification. Whereby they would tell you that it is between 12 and 12.15.

thumbs_up.gif

BoJack Horseman

If someone said the back of 12 and you had no idea what they meant then surely you would ask for clarification. Whereby they would tell you that it is between 12 and 12.15.

thumbs_up.gif

The equivalent of "I'd google it". I mean if you had to work it out by yourself. How would you go about it and what conclusion would you come to.

I think the back of a time is until quarter past the hour. I always assumed "the back of" was due to this time being "behind" the hour mark if you think of moving through time in a sequence.

I'm with Walter on this one. My mum always uses the phrase and I always thought it was about the 45-50 mark because logically that's the back end of the hour.

Its upto 12:15 its 15 minutes added to the back of the 12th hour like it has been added as additional time to that hour.

Therefore the back of 12 is the 15mins immediately following the last hour.

• 1 year later...
BoJack Horseman

Right this has come up again. Folk are still saying it's just after the hour with absolutely no rhyme or reason. The only explanation seems to be "that's just what it is". This thread hasn't helped, it's just more people saying that's what it is without explaining it logically. There's only 2 ways I can logically break down the phrase "the back of 12".

a) If it's 12 o'clock and you put the clock back 10 minutes, it's 11.50. Which means 11.50 is at the back of 12, as you had to put the clock back to get to that point. The back of 12 is 11.50.

b) you see the hour as a whole, and the back of it is the final minutes of the hour. Which would make the back of 12 more like 12.50.

Now remember, the phrase is the "the back of 12", 12 is the reference point, and you're meeting at the back of it. You're not meeting when 12 is at the back of you. You're meeting at the back of 12.

Say What Again
b) you see the hour as a whole, and the back of it is the final minutes of the hour. Which would make the back of 12 more like 12.50.

That's always been my take. If I said to her I'd be home from the pub at the back of 7, that meant 7:59 :lol:

Right this has come up again. Folk are still saying it's just after the hour with absolutely no rhyme or reason. The only explanation seems to be "that's just what it is". This thread hasn't helped, it's just more people saying that's what it is without explaining it logically. There's only 2 ways I can logically break down the phrase "the back of 12".

a) If it's 12 o'clock and you put the clock back 10 minutes, it's 11.50. Which means 11.50 is at the back of 12, as you had to put the clock back to get to that point. The back of 12 is 11.50.

B) you see the hour as a whole, and the back of it is the final minutes of the hour. Which would make the back of 12 more like 12.50.

Now remember, the phrase is the "the back of 12", 12 is the reference point, and you're meeting at the back of it. You're not meeting when 12 is at the back of you. You're meeting at the back of 12.

It's the back side of 12. Once you've gone past someone you can see their back. Once you've gone past twelve it's the back of it.

You've gone down a rabbit hole trying to prove it on taking apart the words. That's silly because it's an old phrase and the words have altered - just as 12 o'clock means twelve of the clock, "the back of 12" means the back side. Phrases alter their words but their meaning remains.

BoJack Horseman

It's the back side of 12. Once you've gone past someone you can see their back. Once you've gone past twelve it's the back of it.

You've gone down a rabbit hole trying to prove it on taking apart the words. That's silly because it's an old phrase and the words have altered - just as 12 o'clock means twelve of the clock, "the back of 12" means the back side. Phrases alter their words but their meaning remains.

See this is where I disagree. Once you go past someone, you're in front of them, and they see your back. So if I'm at the back of someone, they're in front of me. So if I'm 11.50, there's 12 ahead of me, and I'm at the back of it.

Say it's a horse race, and the horse called 12 is up the front, and the horse called 11.50 is at the back. 11.50 is at the back of 12.

Archived