Zaliukas

liam11

Francis Albert

:lol: You serious ?

You Rate the player highly, and want to put him on a pedestal, and, I think, he is a decent club professional but no more than that. Our views don`t match, as the rarely do in football. But your post concludes, that i am talking rubbish and you are 100% right ???? So who`s post needs condemned ? through gritted teeth of course ???

Yes, seriously responding to your post.

Put him on a pedestal? No. I've never suggested he is a legend.

But "captain in name only"? In that respect you are in my opinion talking rubbish.

• Replies 272
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Zal is a very good player at the level he is playing now. The odd howler is what stops him getting offers so far to play at a higher level. If a % of those who constantly knock him don't admit the undercurrents in their make up then so be it but it is usually their overblown criticism that causes others to defend the player.

Drewjambobusby

Yes, seriously responding to your post.

Put him on a pedestal? No. I've never suggested he is a legend.

But "captain in name only"? In that respect you are in my opinion talking rubbish.

In your opinion being the key. Just don`t be so quick to dismiss another persons opinion ? It is after all what makes Football great ?

I have always believed Webster to be a better player, and IMO directs the defence. I also think that Zaluikas is a better player now ,than before Webster came. Perhaps that is because there is less reliance on solely Zaluikas. I think they are a great pairing, with potential to get better (if they stay). As i say this is all my opinion and i am quite prepared to accept it won`t match others. Still mine though.

Francis Albert

In your opinion being the key. Just don`t be so quick to dismiss another persons opinion ? It is after all what makes Football great ?

I have always believed Webster to be a better player, and IMO directs the defence. I also think that Zaluikas is a better player now ,than before Webster came. Perhaps that is because there is less reliance on solely Zaluikas. I think they are a great pairing, with potential to get better (if they stay). As i say this is all my opinion and i am quite prepared to accept it won`t match others. Still mine though.

You mean like responding to people's opinion (not mine) that he is a legend with "do me a favour"? Sounds to me a bit like you are saying that opinion is rubbish. Which of course you are free to do and in fact I agree with your opinion on that one.

But I still think your opinion that Zal is captain in name only is rubbish. .

As Webster is meant to be "far superior" I'm surprised that EPL teams aren't interested in him, especially after he was such a great success when he slithered off to Wigan. That's the same Wigan where Gary Caldwell, yes Gary feckin Calwell has been playing consistently for a number of years now. :rolleyes:

Webster was also a massive success when he fulfilled his 'dream move' to Deidco. :rolleyes:

Seems he's found his level at top half SPL teams like Dundee Utd and Hearts. <_<

Anyway, Magnificent Marius is open to extending his stay at a club he loves despite the abuse from arseholes. :)

Drewjambobusby

You mean like responding to people's opinion (not mine) that he is a legend with "do me a favour"? Sounds to me a bit like you are saying that opinion is rubbish. Which of course you are free to do and in fact I agree with your opinion on that one.

But I still think your opinion that Zal is captain in name only is rubbish. .

Yep.Fair, and bang to rights. Maybe "Do me a favour" bit over the top. Still think your wrong though :thumbsup:

Anyway we have good partnership in Webster and Zaluikas.Long may it continue.

Francis Albert

Yep.Fair, and bang to rights. Maybe "Do me a favour" bit over the top. Still think your wrong though :thumbsup:

Anyway we have good partnership in Webster and Zaluikas.Long may it continue.

Agreed.

I suppose I'd be pushing my luck if I suggested Drew Busby isn't a legend either? :)

Drewjambobusby

Anyway, Magnificent Marius is open to extending his stay at a club he loves despite the abuse from arseholes

And i hope he stays. The difference in your other references are, that Managers of Bigger Clubs (Dundee.Utd excluded) spotted something in Webster ,that thus far no-one has spotted in Zaluikas ? Hence he got his chance , regardless of whether he took it or not.

If Zaluikas improves who knows ?

Only the opinion of one of the arseholes you refer to, of course :rolleyes:

As Webster is meant to be "far superior" I'm surprised that EPL teams aren't interested in him, especially after he was such a great success when he slithered off to Wigan. That's the same Wigan where Gary Caldwell, yes Gary feckin Calwell has been playing consistently for a number of years now. :rolleyes:

Webster was also a massive success when he fulfilled his 'dream move' to Deidco. :rolleyes:

Seems he's found his level at top half SPL teams like Dundee Utd and Hearts. <_<

Anyway, Magnificent Marius is open to extending his stay at a club he loves despite the abuse from arseholes. :)

Andy Webster had the ability to win a move to the Premiership and Rangers, Zaliukas won't ever have that unfortunately.

Ironically, Zali's only chance to move to Rangers was to move down 3 divisions.

I think they're on about the same level now, just Zaliukas has a mistake in him.

Drewjambobusby

Agreed.

I suppose I'd be pushing my luck if I suggested Drew Busby isn't a legend either? :)

Steady saaaan.

The Buzzbomb fought all day, bled maroon and came at a time when we were desperate for someone to call a legend !!! We haven`t reached that stage yet have we ?? :whistling:

By the way he could play a bit too.

I've clocked two punters on here buming up old Bombscare,and they don't even go to the games :lol:

I've clocked many, many punters on Kickback laying into him over the years, and they don't even go to the games :lol:

Works both ways Winnie.

just as a matter of intrest who was the last Hearts captain or cenre back to score two goals in a cup game...apart from ZAL

Captain Fantastic in October 2005. (Not a cup game though)

just as a matter of intrest who was the last Hearts captain or cenre back to score two goals in a cup game...apart from ZAL

Shame he isn't too adept at keeping them out at the other end. As Alan hansen says, defenders must be able to defend first and foremost.

I've clocked two punters on here buming up old Bombscare,and they don't even go to the games :lol:

On this thread? Name names, Winston. :)

On this thread? Name names, Winston. :)

No need, they are very easy to spot, they never comment with any accuracy until 6pm on a Sunday (unless it is a televised game).

The Great Khali

Shame he isn't too adept at keeping them out at the other end. As Alan hansen says, defenders must be able to defend first and foremost.

Zal > Hansen.

Zal is perfectly adept at "keeping them out at the other end" thank you very much.

Zal is perfectly able to "defend first and foremost" aswell thank you very much.

Six years at the club, and a great servant. Im sure if he was Scottish he would be a legend! Zal is not perfect but by far one of the top 5 defenders in Scotland, would some people prefer Gary Kenneth ?????

The Great Khali

Six years at the club, and a great servant. Im sure if he was Scottish he would be a legend! Zal is not perfect but by far one of the top 5 defenders in Scotland, would some people prefer Gary Kenneth ?????

People on here want Kenneth and Mcpake :facepalm:

Zal > Hansen.

Zal is perfectly adept at "keeping them out at the other end" thank you very much.

Zal is perfectly able to "defend first and foremost" aswell thank you very much.

Amen

I wonder which defenders these stay away fans would employ with our limited wages budget, why not throw it out there who we could get to replace Zal or Webby for ?4k per week? I have always like Zal not just because he has played almost 200 games for Hearts and captained our side to the biggest ever Derby (which came with a winners medal) but he doesnt let people get to him and carries on regardless, maybe his greatest part of his game?? Some people make mistakes the true charachter of a person is how you recover, 1 mistake lead to a goal then Zal scored the same amount of goals in one game than Sutton scored in the whole season yet he still gets abuse !!!

People on here want Kenneth and Mcpake :facepalm:

That was not me suggesting I want Kenneth but others would prefer him over Zal, lets get that straight :)

The Great Khali

That was not me suggesting I want Kenneth but others would prefer him over Zal, lets get that straight :)

:lol: it was meant to say "wanted" not "want"

:thumbsup:

I also dont WANT kenneth in the way I WANT Rudi :) anyway zal's contract has ages to go but why not get Mike ashley to arrange a new contract for him with Romanov, 8 years please :)

No need, they are very easy to spot, they never comment with any accuracy until 6pm on a Sunday (unless it is a televised game).

I'm possibly being daft here, but, I go to the games and if I was to comment on a player or performance, it wouldn't be whilst I was at the game. It would most likely be when I get home, sixish* at the earliest normally.

*very rarely go straight home but I live on Gorgie Road so could be home for five.

I'm possibly being daft here, but, I go to the games and if I was to comment on a player or performance, it wouldn't be whilst I was at the game. It would most likely be when I get home, sixish* at the earliest normally.

*very rarely go straight home but I live on Gorgie Road so could be home for five.

I think he's making the point nothing is said by them until the highlights come on the beeb website at tea time on Sunday

Shut the **** up please. Your opinions on Zaliukas are not valid.

It's normally six on a Sunday before the highlights are on TV. That is when some of our more insightful correspondents are able to talk to what happened.

It's normally six on a Sunday before the highlights are on TV. That is when some of our more insightful correspondents are able to talk to what happened.

Ah! With you now. I missed the reference to the highlights. In all seriousness though, I don't think I could judge a performance based on highlights. Yeah, you could isolate a bad mistake, but not a performance. Do folk really do that?

Sorry, silly question.

Ah! With you now. I missed the reference to the highlights. In all seriousness though, I don't think I could judge a performance based on highlights. Yeah, you could isolate a bad mistake, but not a performance. Do folk really do that?

Sorry, silly question.

There's a few and not the obviously expat or distant supporters.

The highlights are poor and often unrepresentative (Livi's highlights from Tuesday showed how bad the Beeb can be) but that won't stop judgements being based simply on what is shown.

Cant be ersed reading this thread. All that matters is Zaliukas is a Hearts player, a Hearts legend, our Cup Winning Captain, and one of the damn finest defenders in Scottish football.

He makes the odd mistake, and it normally leads to a goal. So ****** what. If he was perfect he wouldn't be gracing the Tynecastle turf.

But, surprisingly enough, xenophobia isn't. :geek:

Deary me, Zal made a howler which casued a goal so we shouldn't comment as it would be xenophobic? What is the reason when people comment on Jamie when he makes a howler? :ninja:

I fInd it a amusing that folk say he makes such mistakes every week, but they rarely go to games.

Just to put them straight. He does not.

I fInd it a amusing that folk say he makes such mistakes every week, but they rarely go to games.

I've heard that the people who say such things tend to watch Hearts matches whilst hiding behind their sofas :whistling:

Has he got as many or more OGs than other Hearts players past or present even the great Gary Mckay has an OG to his credit, or dis credit(I know he got a hatrick that day)

Not to adept, well greater men than you think he's good at what he does or he wouldn't be a pro footballer, club captain and full internation.

John Lennon's anutie said you wont make a living out of playing that guitar..... dosen't make it right though, and I would rather take Jock Stein's word over hansen any day as Jock Stein was the first manager in scotland to intoduce attacking full backs.

One day in May

I dont really see the need for the webster - zal comparisons as they are a fantastic partnership.

Imo Zal has improved through having Webster beside him. On the other side Webster settled back in so well an upped his game through having Zal beside him.

Zal has been fantastic for us however just because someine does criticise him does not mean they are racist. Simple maybe but not racist!

Allowayjambo1874

Is zal not on a huge contract at the moment? I'm sure he negotiated direct with vlad last time and it was serious cash way over what we can now afford. I think he loves it here and would stay but i worry he's 29 and may be looking for a big pay at this stage of his career as it may be his last chance to cash in. I've got a feeling that we won't be able to even match his current deal let alone improve it.

I hope I'm wrong and it's done and dusted soon but not many contract extensions have been that straight forward recently.

Zal > Hansen.

:lol:

Deary me, Zal made a howler which casued a goal so we shouldn't comment as it would be xenophobic? What is the reason when people comment on Jamie when he makes a howler? :ninja:

Dave, context is everything! Read your post I replied to and then mine.

Not sure where the racism bit comes from though. Howlers are race independent. :cool_shades:

But, surprisingly enough, xenophobia isn't. :geek:

Surprised you missed it!

Linking the view that our captain is nothing more than an average, bog standard player with xenophobia is nonsense. The bottom line is that far too many folk on here have a jaundiced view of the relative qualities of players pulling on a maroon jersey and Zal is a great example and he will forever split opinion. I recall many on here telling us how good Eggert Johnsson was before he left for a 'step up' and now he cant even make the 18 man match day squad at Wolves. We have had many good quality players down the years but Skacel apart, we have been bereft of quality for a couple of seasons at least and on current showings, only the boy Paterson has any prospect of moving on to better standard in the future. We are consumed with mediocrity but we are not alone.

Francis Albert

The level of abuse (from a small minority) at a few of our Lithuanian players has exceeded anything I've heard in 50 years. Miko and a few others attracted howls of almost sub-human ferocity from some around me in the main stand. Xenophobia may be the wrong accusation - it may be just association with Vlad and indirectly directed at Vlad rather than the player. Not nice, nevertheless.

I am not saying this is an issue or much of one in the case of Zal. More of a "if a dog gets a bad name" syndrome I think.

Drewjambobusby

The level of abuse (from a small minority) at a few of our Lithuanian players has exceeded anything I've heard in 50 years. Miko and a few others attracted howls of almost sub-human ferocity from some around me in the main stand. Xenophobia may be the wrong accusation - it may be just association with Vlad and indirectly directed at Vlad rather than the player. Not nice, nevertheless.

I am not saying this is an issue or much of one in the case of Zal. More of a "if a dog gets a bad name" syndrome I think.

Think you may have a point. Not in case of me personally, but a point all the same. I personally don`t care what nationality he is. If he`s good enough ,he is good enough. I just don`t think Zal is as good, as some on here would have you believe. Yes he is a decent player, but certainly not outstanding. Maybe it`s just me, being tired of his errors ,but i still think he makes way more, than should be expected of a "Class" act ??

The People's Chimp

He is well known by other SPL teams as having the propensity to switch off - that second of simply not concentrating/losing focus/switching off, however you want to look at it - and teams play on that. I've heard it direct from (a friend who is) an employee at another SPL club that one of the first things that his team is told in pre match discussions about hearts is Zal's tendency to lose concentration and get caught out. They know that if they press him, or sniff around that area of the pitch, then there's a chance he'll have one of those moments and feck up.

He is, that aside, an excellent CB, and has been a great servant to the club. If he didn't have the propensity to lose concentration, he'd probably be stepping up a level after this contract. As it is, I can't see that happening.

To say he makes those mistakes every week is hyperbole, but he does have the potential to make those mistakes in each game.

Drewjambobusby

He is well known by other SPL teams as having the propensity to switch off - that second of simply not concentrating/losing focus/switching off, however you want to look at it - and teams play on that. I've heard it direct from an employee at another SPL club that one of the first things that his team is told in pre match discussions about hearts is Zal's tendency to lose concentration and get caught out. They know that if they press him, or sniff around that area of the pitch, then there's a chance he'll have one of those moments and feck up.

He is, that aside, an excellent CB, and has been a great servant to the club. If he didn't have the propensity to lose concentration, he'd probably be stepping up a level after this contract. As it is, I can't see that happening.

To say he makes those mistakes every week is hyperbole, but he does have the potential to make those mistakes in each game.

Pretty much where i am with him. Only exception is, that i wouldn`t say he is excellent. Unfortunately, a decent Striker would get serious change, more often than not ,against Zal. He has bags of potential, but seriously believe, he thinks he is better than he actually is, and piss farts about, trying to strut out of defence, instead of doing the simple things well. I do think he has improved that side of his game since him and Webster teamed up, but don`t think he will ever shake off the lapses in concentration. All good players have an arrogance about them on the park. I think Zal has that arrogance, but don`t think he has the talent to back it up. Still decent though as i have said. Just don`t share the view he is "Captain Fantastic" etc.

Drewjambobusby

One of the things I like about him are the strutting runs out of defence. A marvellous sight!

:rolleyes: Fair enough. Except when he stands on the ball , the guy runs through and blasts it in the back of the net ????

I must admit. I cannot remember ANY Central Defender, that makes me cringe more than ZAL when he has the ball in and around our 18 yard line. For me that is the crux of the matter. I should have confidence but i don`t, and clearly from some of the posts neither do others.

Drewjambobusby

If he wasn't prone to mistakes he would have left the club a long time ago.

As someone said earlier in the thread. Are we to be grateful for his "Moments" ?

As someone said earlier in the thread. Are we to be grateful for his "Moments" ?

No. No one's saying that we've to be grateful for his 'moments'.

Saying that is substantially different from saying that a less mistake-prone Zal would probably not be with us.

Not quite sure why the 'grateful' line gets trotted out so often.

Archived