Scottish independence and devolution superthread

Happy Hearts

Have to say, I have been impressed by Jim Murphy. He's speaking so well.

Have to agree with that, Murphy has been excellent so far.

Fear wins the day. Pensioner power also! Electorate has spoken though, quite clearly.

Are the fears reasonable or not? Quite a few companies with no partisan opinion have stated that they think Yes would be harmful.

And pensioners are as much a part of Scotland as anybody else.

J.T.F.Robertson

Look - if the independence grass roots movement wants to get any kind of traction next time it needs to sort out what it is going to do about currency, pensions, immigration etc BEFORE the vote

People need to be given the opportunity to make an informed choice rather than be treated like extras from Braveheart.

I'm sure some of those minor details will be apparent to them before their next attempt.

Ah, the Braveheart stuff. Excellent.

Most of the areas you refer to above would have been thrashed out in post-referendum negotiations. Compared to the level of scrutiny all of the Yes campaign's policies were subjected to, the No campaign's increased powers package appears to have been swallowed hook, line and sinker despite having no substance or detail whatsoever.

Sorry, you cannot sell fresh air to people. We all need some substantive information on the constitutional, societal and economic changes that we are being asked to accept.

Both sides are guilty of being vague but BT at least has the solid foundation of the status quo to fall back upon. The Yes proposals have one page in the entire White Paper that discusses solid fact.

alwaysthereinspirit

What do you think Brown, Miliband, Cameron and the Labour love train have been doing? There is not one word - not a single word - of the increased powers package in writing anywhere. This is playing from the head?

A pictures worth a thousand words.

Taped video maybe even more.

If it's a no vote we are creating a whole new kind of history. Scotland at the forefront of changing and evolving the Union. Amazing.

Can't bear these yes voters on Tuesday claiming Scotland has let itself down. I, and the majority of No voters, did so with confidence and pride.

Inverclyde could shift the overall majority to Yes for a short while I suspect?

Are the fears reasonable or not? Quite a few companies with no partisan opinion have stated that they think Yes would be harmful.

And pensioners are as much a part of Scotland as anybody else.

We will never know!

I don't think I suggested they weren't. I was simply stating that this particular group of people predominantly vote no, according to polls. It seems , I think, that older people have swung the balance. Just my opinion though.

Ooft. Inverclyde could not have been closer. Tiny no majority. Incredible.

Might need to wear the Union Jack cuff links to work tomorrow.

Wore mine today :)

Sorry, you cannot sell fresh air to people. We all need some substantive information on the constitutional, societal and economic changes that we are being asked to accept.

If there are a large number of voters who have gone for no on the basis of the "timetable", it looks as if the Scottish people have just bought fresh air in a big way, so I can't agree with this.

Jeez - that's close.

Game over for Yes already I think.

it's starting to look that way, i hope the vote is close though

If there are a large number of voters who have gone for no on the basis of the "timetable", it looks as if the Scottish people have just bought fresh air in a big way, so I can't agree with this.

Have they though? No real shift in polls after the vow.

J.T.F.Robertson

We will never know!

I don't think I suggested they weren't. I was simply stating that this particular group of people predominantly vote no, according to polls. It seems , I think, that older people have swung the balance. Just my opinion though.

Someone always does. Had it been the younger crowd would it have been worthy of comment?

And lowering the eligible age to sixteen .........

Sorry, I disagree. Yes we're not offering the status quo, it was an offer of change without any substance behind it. On the other hand, have been offering a safer route via more gradual change.

Guest GhostHunter

You just need to look at the "safe bet" Yes councils pre-counting, areas like the Western Isles and Inverclyde - they are trending to No, and this will only be amplified as the bigger councils declare.

Salmond and the Yes campaign look to have underestimated the power of people's job security, pensions and currency quite massively - and should have concentrated on answers for those huge concerns instead of soapboxing the scaremongerer speeches.

Have they though? No real shift in polls after the vow.

It depends when you date the "vow" from. There has certainly been a shift in the mood of the campaign since the timetable was promised. Of course, there may well be many other factors involved.