Scottish independence and devolution superthread

Happy Hearts

Geoff Kilpatrick

Hibs cup final chat. You can sing as loud as you want. You lose, you lose. Deal with it.

That's being saved for Facebook later ;)

I missed that. Got a link?

The page has been taken down but I noticed earlier that oddschecker had a pie chart that showed most bets were placed on a yes outcome. Not sure if that was quantity of bets or monetary amount.

So she was right

Hardly going to split the vote of those who would be upset at that remark.....the toffs were pretty much No in any case and remember you address your remarks to get votes from the majority not to suck up to 'the toffs'......not that I'm suggesting you are one of course :bucktooth:

you may be right that she wouldn't get much votes from the Toffs anyway, but the "Team Scotland" campaign defo was stupid, imo. That alienated further potential voters, as well as divided the country further. I really resent any implication that as a No voter I am somehow not Scottish.

Yet you have a problem with Scottish MPs voting on English matters? :unsure:

Yes. What's the problem with that? And how is it incompatible with a wish for a federal uk? We have different parliaments, which is good (I am Scottish and British). When a decision is being taken in Westminster which doesn't effect Scotland, why should Scottish MPs have a say and potentially swing that result. English MPs don't vote on devolved matters in Holyrood of course.

Edited by jambo1185

Dundee could be an exception it is a big SNP area but not that big

Dundee voted 47% SNP at the 2011 election, 3% higher than the national average, but not all that out of line.

The page has been taken down but I noticed earlier that oddschecker had a pie chart that showed most bets were placed on a yes outcome. Not sure if that was quantity of bets or monetary amount.

I saw that too.. strange it appears to have been taken down but the majority of bets were on Yes.........mind you that might just have been for the price

Glasgow was all over the place in polls...but more often No than Yes.

Not in the ones I read but granted I didn't go through all of them. Maybe Ruth Davidson should go and have a nice cup of tea for a while

I missed that. Got a link?

Sorry, I don't. But he was on Scotland Tonight after the news. It's basically betting in play. If someone goes 1-0 up the odds shorten. 2-0, further still, regardless of the money being placed.

Obviously bookies "hedge their bets" but it's much more scientific these days.

I saw that too.. strange it appears to have been taken down but the majority of bets were on Yes.........mind you that might just have been for the price

Pity that has been taken down as it was interesting to watch the movement...assume the books are now being closed?

you may be right that she wouldn't get much votes from the Toffs anyway, but the "Team Scotland" campaign defo was stupid, imo. That alienated further potential voters, as well as divided the country further. I really resent any implication that as a No voter I am somehow not Scottish.

And quite right too.....we are all children of our country and entitled to vote however we want.

(Imagine we banned upper public schooled persons for a few years from being in Parliament and the upper reaches of the civil service......what would happen ?......sometimes I feel it is seen by many upper class Tories and others as a nice job to be seen to do rather than wanting to do.)

Edited by CJGJ

It's basically betting in play. If someone goes 1-0 up the odds shorten.

But doesn't that happen because of the fact that there is betting in play, so money tends to pile in from punters on the team that has just gone 1-0 ahead?

Pity that has been taken down as it was interesting to watch the movement...assume the books are now being closed?

Betfair exchange still open. You will get about 10/1 on Yes last time I looked. Still a lot of money being traded.

So it's looking like a no vote.

It will all come around again in 20 years max. If England haven't kicked us out first.

Wonder if our share of the UK debt will be higher, lower or much the same by then?

Knowing us, we will probably vote YES in 2034 with a huge UK debt share and it would have been better to have gone now.

:)

Edited by DETTY29

http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/news/politics/referendum/5924052/david-cameron-devolution-plans.html

Big Davy C to announce dramatic changes to how Britain is governed...

A move to federalism?

For simple men like myself, can you explain what it means in laymans terms? Most of the jargon during the referendum has meant nothing to me!

I mean by federalism.

Edited by donaldmclachlan

It will all come around again in 20 years max. If England haven't kicked us out first.

Wonder if our share of the UK debt will be higher, lower or much the same by then?

Knowing us, we will probably vote YES in 2034 with a huge UK debt share and it would have been better to have gone now.

:)

Many of us may have been long gone by then :bucktooth:

I still say it's too early to tell. We need a couple of declarations.

Here's a table showing the vote percentages at the 2011 election (regional vote) by council area. Some estimates for constituencies that break across more than one council ares, so if anyone has better figures please say so.

2011 scottish election percentages by council area.pdf

But doesn't that happen because of the fact that there is betting in play, so money tends to pile in from punters on the team that has just gone 1-0 ahead?

I think it's more on the probability of the result and to entice money to be placed on the contrary.

NB. I'm no bookie and certainly not claiming to be an expert on the subject. Paddy seemed to know a bit about it though.

The one thing I found quite surprising near the end of this campaign was the amount of people, on both sides who were dead set in what they were voting changing their minds late on. Best friend that I'm on holiday with was always a no but voted yes, another frI end who gave many reasons for voting yes and he voted no. Many others swithered at the last minute. It's certainly been very interesting!

http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/news/politics/referendum/5924052/david-cameron-devolution-plans.html

Big Davy C to announce dramatic changes to how Britain is governed...

A move to federalism?

I hope so.

The danger is that the age of the nation state is in decline as economic states/alliances/federal entities grow. Scotland could be independent and arrive at the party just as everyone else is leaving.

Truth be told Salmond, knows this and that is why the "independence" he seeks would retain a significant umbilical cord with UK (or the EU). It really is "Indy Light" and not dissimilar to a federal UK.

Betting (on bet365) gets suspended as soon as a goal is scored, in fact because they operate a delay on their site it is suspended usually before you see the goal so can't be that.

Geoff Kilpatrick

For simple men like myself, can you explain what it means in laymans terms? Most of the jargon during the referendum has meant nothing to me!

I mean by federalism.

Federalism essentially empowers each government level to be fully in charge of its laws and budget, whilst deferring to an overall federal level for key powers such as macroeconomic policy, defence, citizenship, border control and foreign policy.

North Lanarkshire votes Yes !!!!

51 to 49 forecast

If that is true then it's pointing to a Yes vote that more or less matches the combined SNP-Green percentage in 2011. In North Lanarkshire they polled 51% (48 for SNP and 3 for Green).

The combined SNP-Green percentage nationwide in 2011 was 48.4%.

Federalism essentially empowers each government level to be fully in charge of its laws and budget, whilst deferring to an overall federal level for key powers such as macroeconomic policy, defence, citizenship, border control and foreign policy.

Pretty good summing up there.

I mean by federalism.

It's a system where in the UKs case the 4 parts (Scot, Eng, Wal & NI) all have their own governments but share power with a central power.

Each part could raise own local taxes to a certain extent & the federal (central) government would also collect taxes.

I guess it's kinda like Devo Max for each of the UKs nations - we'd share defence & foreign policy etc.

Hope that makes sense

I would too if you could produce a link so I can see what he said. :thumbsup:

Google it.

Or listen to the evidence posted here in the last half hour. I'm not the only one saying it. :thumbsup: