Scottish independence and devolution superthread

Happy Hearts

Just a sample, and a rumour about a sample. And biddys. Don't cash in just yet.

Edinburgh votes should count for double

#we'refromthecapital

Did that independence woman just say the threats from Westminster are the worst any government have ever gin it's people? Jeezo, what utter trip. God forbid if these people ever had to endure real persecution,

And so it begins the right wing Tories start the chat around exclusion of Scottish Members from some affairs though you have to laugh at the talk of wanting equal powers to those of the Scottish parliament..... I was not aware we had more power than the UK parliament or will do so.

That 'West Lothian question' never really went away did it.

The move to federalism within the UK has truly begun.

Did that independence woman just say the threats from Westminster are the worst any government have ever gin it's people? Jeezo, what utter trip. God forbid if these people ever had to endure real persecution,

Atrocious stuff.

When did postal votes become so prevalent?

I think I heard Ruth Davidson say approx 18% of the vote was postal. She was also very bullish with the No split, could be as high as 70/30 to No

ruth Davidson absolutely giddy

Maybe she's been near the catnip. I think over the piece she has been one of the better campaigners. It must be tricky being a tory in this debate. Compare to Nicola Sturgeons "We will not be ruled by Tory Toffs" tirades. That may have won her some votes in certain areas but it alienated others and showed up her true colours.

ToadKiller Dog

I think I heard Ruth Davidson say approx 18% of the vote was postal. She was also very bullish with the No split, could be as high as 70/30 to No

Are they talking about Edinburgh postal votes or nation wide ?

Maybe she's been near the catnip. I think over the piece she has been one of the better campaigners. It must be tricky being a tory in this debate. Compare to Nicola Sturgeons "We will not be ruled by Tory Toffs" tirades. That may have won her some votes in certain areas but it alienated others and showed up her true colours.

However what she said was partly correct.. we are ruled by a bunch of toffs.........look at the cabinet and where they were schooled.

Labour has a similar feel to it on a UK level.......we do not have a mix of population representing the people.

And so it begins the right wing Tories start the chat around exclusion of Scottish Members from some affairs though you have to laugh at the talk of wanting equal powers to those of the Scottish parliament..... I was not aware we had more power than the UK parliament or will do so.

That 'West Lothian question' never really went away did it.

The move to federalism within the UK has truly begun.

I've always wondered why should Scottish MPs get a vote on mates which don't effect us? A federal UK sounds good to me

Eldar Hadzimehmedovic

Not confirmed but initial view looks around 71% yes in Dundee

I take it there were no polls for specific regions, otherwise these figures don't mean very much. :)

Despite the prediction that this might embolden or encourage Irish republicans, I can't see a mention of this referendum on the An Phoblacht webpage.

If Yes get above 45% and lose then the SNP will have won in any case.

I was wondering when that would appear. In a way thats understandable as Devo max has been won. However true Independence is gone for a generation.

Hibs cup final chat. You can sing as loud as you want. You lose, you lose. Deal with it.

Highlands apparently big Yes win as well, samples from a couple of boxes have them between 55-65% Yes, depends how that translates across all the boxes of course.

I assume you mean for doing so well to get close (if indeed this is what happens) but not sure how the SNP could claim that as a win?

Not confirmed but initial view looks around 71% yes in Dundee

Presumably that's from a Yes Twitter source. If Dundee votes 71-29 Yes then Yes will win by 2-to-1 nationwide. Do you really think that will happen?

The bookies odds have nothing to do with their assessment of Yes votes or No votes. The odds are determined by the bets, so if the bookies are showing long odds for Yes and short odds for No all that means is that most of the money is being bet on No - but it doesn't mean that bookies have some kind of inside knowledge of the count. Why would it?

Not according to Paddy Power the other night. There's not enough money taken in to make a difference on politics and the odds are pretty much made up with intel.

However what she said was partly correct.. we are ruled by a bunch of toffs.........look at the cabinet and where they were schooled.

Labour has a similar feel to it on a UK level.......we do not have a mix of population representing the people.

It doesn't matter if she is correct or not - the point was she immediately alienated a large number of potential support for Yes, and at the same time started dividing the nation. That divisiveness got worse when "Team Scotland" appeared, implying if you didn't vote Yes you were not Scottish. Again that divisive campaigning I think may prove costly to them. Well I hope so anyway - long way to go.

ToadKiller Dog

Presumably that's from a Yes Twitter source. If Dundee votes 71-29 Yes then Yes will win by 2-to-1 nationwide. Do you really think that will happen?

Dundee could be an exception it is a big SNP area but not that big

Not according to Paddy Power the other night. There's not enough money taken in to make a difference on politics and the odds are pretty much made up with intel.

I missed that. Got a link?

I take it there were no polls for specific regions, otherwise these figures don't mean very much. :)

Yes the polls do split be region, but the accuracy reduces the more you split. Glasgow is yes in polls, as is Dundee. Borders very strong No, Aberdeen No.

It doesn't matter if she is correct or not - the point was she immediately alienated a large number of potential support for Yes, and at the same time started dividing the nation. That divisiveness got worse when "Team Scotland" appeared, implying if you didn't vote Yes you were not Scottish. Again that divisive campaigning I think may prove costly to them. Well I hope so anyway - long way to go.

So she was right

Hardly going to split the vote of those who would be upset at that remark.....'the toffs' were pretty much No in any case and remember you address your remarks to get votes from the majority not to suck up to 'the toffs'......not that I'm suggesting you are one of course :bucktooth:

Edited by CJGJ

Yes the polls do split be region, but the accuracy reduces the more you split. Glasgow is yes in polls, as is Dundee. Borders very strong No, Aberdeen No.

Glasgow was all over the place in polls...but more often No than Yes.