Scottish independence and devolution superthread

Happy Hearts

Just got back from amazing, spontaneous rally on the Meadows (see pic below)

Cooking tea and listening to the Average White Band. They inspire me cos they are a soul band from Dundee, white but never average, and when I lived in the US in the 1990s I saw them tour, wowing large, black audiences, headlining above War and the Ohio Players.

They showed to me that if you have belief in yourself, if you're a Scottish band playing soul music, for example, you can do ANYTHING.

Complete opposite of Better Together, in other words.

Let's show the world on Thursday that we have courage, we're not scared to stand up for ourselves.

Meadows today:

http://www.edinburghnews.scotsman.com/news/thousands-flood-capital-for-referendum-campaign-1-3541389

Will NO voters have to give their AWB albums?

Edited by systemx

Malinga the Swinga

A result either way by just 1 or 2 per cent will leave a sour taste for years. For such a major decision like leaving the UK, a small majority is no good to anyone. Don't think there will be civil disorder, just a whole lot of angry Scots (so no change there).

Bring back 70s style class war! :lol:

Mind you, the "war" wouldn't last long. The rich would have pissed off southbound.

What will they do when they burst through the gates to start ransacking homes of the rich and meet bemused SNP politicians and pro-independence millionaires screaming "I'm one of you really!"

Caspian Primrose

The audiences in the TV debates are getting a lot more raucous. Even when I discuss it with friends, family or work mates discussions are getting a bit more heated. Good to see so many feel passionately about this.

North Berwick Jambo

BT blew it by picking the wrong strategy from the very beginning of the campaign, hope and an overall will for change will always defeat fear. YES will win by at least 6%.

A result either way by just 1 or 2 per cent will leave a sour taste for years. For such a major decision like leaving the UK, a small majority is no good to anyone. Don't think there will be civil disorder, just a whole lot of angry Scots (so no change there).

Fortunately I think there will be a pretty decent majority in favour of No, something like 57/43.

Fortunately in respect of your post, unfortunately in that I would love to be wrong.

BT blew it by picking the wrong strategy from the very beginning of the campaign, hope and an overall will for change will always defeat fear. YES will win by at least 6%.

Have you been conducting your own polls?

Caspian Primrose

Quebec rejected their chance for Independence in favour of the status quo. They regret it now though, big time.

North Berwick Jambo

Have you been conducting your own polls?

No, have you? I believe that all those important undecided voters will chose to vote for change by a slight majority and that Yes will win by 54% to 48%.

Malinga the Swinga

No, have you? I believe that all those important undecided voters will chose to vote for change by a slight majority and that Yes will win by 54% to 48%.

If it's 54 v 48, then I want a recount.

ToadKiller Dog

Bring back 70s style class war! :lol:

Mind you, the "war" wouldn't last long. The rich would have pissed off southbound.

What Rich , I thought they were all pissing off on Friday the 19th after the Yes vote rather than stay in Fidel Salmonds Cuba of the North Atlantic ?

At the end of the day if you are not sure about voting yes/no, ask yourself if you believe in Alex "sound bites/accuse Westminister of scaremongering" Salmond.

Once its a yes, there is no going back and I'm not sure people fully appreciate that. This is not a vote that can be changed 4 years down the line.

Quebec rejected their chance for Independence in favour of the status quo. They regret it now though, big time.

nonsense. support for quebec separation is nearly dead.

At the end of the day if you are not sure about voting yes/no, ask yourself if you believe in Alex "sound bites/accuse Westminister of scaremongering" Salmond.

Once its a yes, there is no going back and I'm not sure people fully appreciate that. This is not a vote that can be changed 4 years down the line.

I really think that people voting yes are not aware that there is no going back.

I have heard some say they will give it a go and see!

Thats 102%. But point taken - I go with 55 to 45 for No as I think a lot of the Undecideds will just stick with what we have.

If Yes win, it will be by small majority. I go for 53 No, 47 Yes and a 86% turnout. The remaining 14% should not be allowed out.

I think voting should be compulsory.

Always have done......to dismiss the sacrifice given to ensure this right is inexcusable,imo.

Will NO voters have to give their AWB albums?

Hadn't thought of that.

But come to think of it, in the event of a Yes vote, will accept all donations by PM

Hatred of what Tories did 30 years ago is like the continuation of sectarian nonsense over in Glasgow where kids believe in the division due to their parents and grandparents passing down the hatred.

That's where a lot of the oil money went in the 80s, balancing the books on poorly performing Scottish businesses losing ?2bn a year which needed tough decisions made. The Tories made the unpopular decisions, sometimes you have to in order to get stability.

Malinga the Swinga

Always have done......to dismiss the sacrifice given to ensure this right is inexcusable,imo.

At least we agree on something. Only those who are ill and can't make vote should be excused. Not bothering is not good enough. Maybe add Hibees to that as well as they must be insane!

Really?

That's silly in my opinion. Why vote if you don't give a ****?

Malinga the Swinga

Hatred of what Tories did 30 years ago is like the continuation of sectarian nonsense over in Glasgow where kids believe in the division due to their parents and grandparents passing down the hatred.

That's where a lot of the oil money went in the 80s, balancing the books on poorly performing Scottish businesses losing ?2bn a year which needed tough decisions made. The Tories made the unpopular decisions, sometimes you have to in order to get stability.

Hope you have a Tin Hat ready.

Holy shit!!

Can you post a reference to back that up?

If you can I might change my vote.

Geoff Kilpatrick

Voting is compulsory here.

As a result Victoria elected a Motoring Enthusiast Party member into the Federal Senate with 0.51% of a first preference vote! :lol:

Wow....comparing the radical change in British politics in the Eighties and it's effects.....with the numbskull nonsense of the less intelligent of Glasgow's residents?

Em......naw!

Maybe if they had to they might develop more of a ****.......maybe!

Nah they would just put an x wherever and walk back out. Pointless in my opinion.

[modedit]

Nope, I'm eating popcorn at the side, laughing at the nonsense! :)

Probably safer....will be cookoo here on Friday.

Voting is compulsory here.

As a result Victoria elected a Motoring Enthusiast Party member into the Federal Senate with 0.51% of a first preference vote! :lol:

I'd rather have that than some in the parliament at the moment!

[modedit]

My problem is that when I see people posting what I think is shite I will pull them up for it, just like I'd expect them to do to me.

Why do think its shite? Do you not think some people are voting with no knowledge that there is no going back?

Really?

Why do think its shite? Do you not think some people are voting with no knowledge that there is no going back?

Really?

No I don't believe that, not for one minute.

that's ridiculous - to boil the whole thing down to what one man has been saying. utterly absurd, and if i take your point to be 'westminster can't surely be overstating/downright lying about the risks?', then...well...whatever, can i suggest you go and put your thinking cap back on.

Calm down.

If you honestly think voters are not swayed either way going in to the last week with what Salmond is saying then you are very naive. Going in to the last week, this will be won or lost by people who at this moment in time they are not sure what way to vote.

Truth be told, if you cant see this you are not being the poster boy for the yes vote.

Really?

I believe there will be many people voting Yes without really thinking about it......equally,there will be No voters who may deeply regret their decision....for the country's sake, I hope not!

I believe there will be many people voting Yes without really thinking about it......equally,there will be No voters who may deeply regret their decision....for the country's sake, I hope not!

Come on Boab, they might vote without giving it much thought but thinking that we can give it a try first and see if it's any good?

If there really are folk like that then I am due an apology to GBJambo and I despair for them.

Come on Boab, they might vote without giving it much thought but thinking that we can give it a try first and see if it's any good?

If there really are folk like that then I am due an apology to GBJambo and I despair for them.

No,i'm a Yes......em...whit?

All i'm saying is that a lot of people....in any vote.....don't really sit and weigh up the pros and cons of a particular party....or idea.

Some of the stupidity of the general public is hard to digest,,,but it exists....in spades.

If people really get stressed about stuff like that then maybe just remember that there will be a more engaged person than you voting the opposite way and a less engaged person voting the same way.

All evens out over course of a season or something.

Patronisingly repeating that a 'Yes' vote is forever probably does No more harm than good in my humble opinion. The twenty or so space cadets who think that way aren't going to have the self-awareness to realise they are being called out.

Just got back from amazing, spontaneous rally on the Meadows (see pic below)

Cooking tea and listening to the Average White Band. They inspire me cos they are a soul band from Dundee, white but never average, and when I lived in the US in the 1990s I saw them tour, wowing large, black audiences, headlining above War and the Ohio Players.

They showed to me that if you have belief in yourself, if you're a Scottish band playing soul music, for example, you can do ANYTHING.

Complete opposite of Better Together, in other words.

Let's show the world on Thursday that we have courage, we're not scared to stand up for ourselves.

Meadows today:

http://www.edinburghnews.scotsman.com/news/thousands-flood-capital-for-referendum-campaign-1-3541389

Tenuous post of the thread.

Yeh, let's destroy a country that has been successful for hundreds of years, been respected throughout the world, has a seat on Security council of UN and is a major player in the world, to simply, in your words, smash the Tories.

Let's destroy the armed forces that have fought and died together for centuries to simply, in your words, smash the Tories.

Let's put thousands of jobs at risk, let's risk thousands of children's futures to simply, in your words, smash the Tories.

If that is your sole consideration, then I really despair for Scotland's future.

It's painful isn't it.