"Illegal" parking tickets

Piper X

Not sure if anyone can help here!

About a year ago I received one of these parking tickets at a supermarket car park because I had out stayed my welcome!

A fellow Kickbacker had advised that these tickets were illegal and had advised to ignore all letters. He also posted a template letter to send off to the offending company, should they become persistant. I did this and never heard from them again. Perfect!

A friend of mine has now received one of these tickets, and I advised the same. He has now received a third letter basically telling him to pay up or legal action will be forthcoming. THe fine has went from ?30 to ?115.

Does anyone remenber the thread and (long shot here) still have a copy of that template letter? Or should he just ignore again? (I have replaced my computer since my dealings with them and never thought to keep a copy of the template!)

Thanks in advance!

He should ignore again. They are trying to put the frighteners on him.

If it's not from the Police or the Council, ignore.

EDIT - i would even avoid replying to them or using any template letter. It just lets them know you are acknowledging it.

Sterling Archer

Yeah got one at the Southern General Hospital recently. Sneakily put in one of those covers that makes it look official.

Promptly stuck in the bin and forgotten about.

Ignore it.

The "parking ticket" is basically an "invitation to pay".

Don't enter into any correspondence, or do anything that would tacitly suggest you accept their conditions.

See www.pepipoo.com for anything to do with traffic offences - speeding, parking tickets etc.

And a guide specific to private parking tickets here: http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/reclaim/private-parking-tickets

Ive had my ticket passed on to debt collectors who say I have one more chance or they are coming to my door and that, said letter went down the pan with my fat one that night and not heard a peep since

He should ignore again. They are trying to put the frighteners on him.

If it's not from the Police or the Council, ignore.

EDIT - i would even avoid replying to them or using any template letter. It just lets them know you are acknowledging it.

This, in particular the edit. :thumb:

Could a person who receives one of these debt collectors letters not sue for the stress caused by such threats?

They can't collect the debt without a court order.

These charges are perfectly legal and if you have parked in a car park with a number of signs where it is obvious that you are entering in to a contract with the owner of the car park then it is likely you would be required to pay the outstanding amount in the 'invoice' sent you if it went to court and you were the driver.

The position is though that they have only sent the letter to the registered keeper of the vehicle whose details they have obtained from the DVLA. It is only possible for the driver to enter in to a contact with the owner of the car park and they will be unable to prove who the driver was. Unless you tell them it was you or someone else then for all they know there could be about 50 people who could have driven your car at that time and you don't have to tell them.

There should be enough in here to keep you going.......

http://www.hmfckickback.co.uk/index.php?/topic/88622-help-with-a-parking-ticket/page__p__2084510__hl

Ignore the scammers. Its a scam - nothing more, nothing less. Not technically illegal, but all you've got is an unenforceable invoice.

Don't ignore a council ticket, don't ignore the Sheriff court. Do ignore these scammers, the debt collectors (who have no power, unless appointed by the court - which you would have been invited to defend) and do ignore their pet lawyers.

The whole private parking industry is a scam - designed to prey on the weak and vulnerable. Don't give them a penny.

From what I have been told (never looked it up so might be wrong). Private car parks can fine you x% of what it costs to park on their premises for say an hour. As parking in supermarkets cost ?0 per hour they can legally fine you ?0.

P.S if this is wrong nobody tell me as it amuses me every time I see that ticket **** when we park in Sainsburys before every home game.

Not sure if anyone can help here!

About a year ago I received one of these parking tickets at a supermarket car park because I had out stayed my welcome!

A fellow Kickbacker had advised that these tickets were illegal and had advised to ignore all letters. He also posted a template letter to send off to the offending company, should they become persistant. I did this and never heard from them again. Perfect!

A friend of mine has now received one of these tickets, and I advised the same. He has now received a third letter basically telling him to pay up or legal action will be forthcoming. THe fine has went from ?30 to ?115.

Does anyone remenber the thread and (long shot here) still have a copy of that template letter? Or should he just ignore again? (I have replaced my computer since my dealings with them and never thought to keep a copy of the template!)

Thanks in advance!

I Got one of these and they tried ramping it up to 150 quid i ended up calling them and saying that the person they were looking for no longer stayed at this address , they asked if i had a forwarding address for the culprit.

I Informed them as far as i was aware he had emigrated to Australia :whistling:

I Casually informed them any future correspondace sent here would be binned :blink:

NEVER HEARD A THING AGAIN AND THAT WAS ABOUT 4 YEARS AGO :thumbsup:

They can't collect the debt without a court order.

These charges are perfectly legal and if you have parked in a car park with a number of signs where it is obvious that you are entering in to a contract with the owner of the car park then it is likely you would be required to pay the outstanding amount in the 'invoice' sent you if it went to court and you were the driver.

The position is though that they have only sent the letter to the registered keeper of the vehicle whose details they have obtained from the DVLA. It is only possible for the driver to enter in to a contact with the owner of the car park and they will be unable to prove who the driver was. Unless you tell them it was you or someone else then for all they know there could be about 50 people who could have driven your car at that time and you don't have to tell them.

This, can we make this advice a sticky so that we don't get one of these thread every couple of weeks. whistling.gif

Archived