Blast from the past - 1985 Documentary re West Ham

Sherlock

Anyone of a certain vintage will remember this documentary.

Timers of top-loading VHS machines all over the country were programmed to record it.

It's worth watching for the haircuts (perms, wedges & mullets) and the clothes (Benetton, ski jumpers & tight jeans) alone.

The full 51 minute film is below....

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-1997606021322612799&hl=en

Caveat: This isn't intended as a 'hooliganism is great' thread. I got sent the link and thought other posters of a similar age would enjoy it.

LOL

Hooligan.

Up at Man Utd - "Call yourself West Ham?"

The clip of a goal going in and all you see is a pair of crutches being wave aloft is genius! (Chelsea 22mins 50secs in)

LOL

Hooligan.

Up at Man Utd - "Call yourself West Ham?"

The clip of a goal going in and all you see is a pair of crutches being wave aloft is genius! (Chelsea 22mins 50secs in)

Admit it Boris, you had a back perm in the mid 80's, didn't you? :biggrin:

Admit it Boris, you had a back perm in the mid 80's, didn't you? :biggrin:

Hehehe

My hair is naturally "wavy", so when growing it long at the back for the "Charlie Nick"* look it all came quite easily...Not a Waddle cut though. Then in 86 I had the proverbial kicked out of me and my lovely Reebok runners stolen from my feet by **** so I thought that whole fashion was more trouble than it was worth.

Cue flat top haircut and embracement of The Smiths etc

You seem to know an awful lot about those times though...hmmm....sounds like you may have had one too!:rolleyes:

*who in there right mind would now wish to go for the "Charlie Nick" look????

Hehehe

My hair is naturally "wavy", so when growing it long at the back for the "Charlie Nick"* look it all came quite easily...Not a Waddle cut though. Then in 86 I had the proverbial kicked out of me and my lovely Reebok runners stolen from my feet by **** so I thought that whole fashion was more trouble than it was worth.

Cue flat top haircut and embracement of The Smiths etc

You seem to know an awful lot about those times though...hmmm....sounds like you may have had one too!:rolleyes:

*who in there right mind would now wish to go for the "Charlie Nick" look????

At the time, the Charlie Nick was the mutt's nut's but even back in those days, i was never patient enough to grow my hair.

I settled for the classic wedge.

Do the stars (****) above indicate hibs, gers, tic's or just general s cum?

At the time, the Charlie Nick was the mutt's nut's but even back in those days, i was never patient enough to grow my hair.

I settled for the classic wedge.

Do the stars (****) above indicate hibs, gers, tic's or just general s cum?

General low life - ironically I think they were Hearts "boys" at the time, all about 18 when I was 15.

General low life - ironically I think they were Hearts "boys" at the time, all about 18 when I was 15.

That's not so good Boris, but it was perhaps your own fault for not having the classic emblem badge pinned to the bottom of your collar.;)

Nelly Terraces

I've had the, ahem, 'pleasure' of meeting some of the blokes in that documentary c/o the ex, who is a big West Ham fan. Anyone whose drank in the Prince of Wales boozer round the back of Upton Park tube station will know what I mean. Used to be lots of ex ICF boys in there, Bill Gardiner etc. Actually, most of them are sound, Bill espesh who thinks it was all taken too seriously and prefered to talk about the laughs they used to have, not the trouble. I still have this on vid and the quality is well ropey, so good to see it here.

Must look out my paisley pattern shirt and Lois flares to wear whilst watching!

NT - yes, I did have my barnet slighty longer at the back. Errr, didn't everyone!?

That's not so good Boris, but it was perhaps your own fault for not having the classic emblem badge pinned to the bottom of your collar.;)

I had my "Road to Hampden" tee shirt on underneath and I may well have had a Hearts lapel badge on too!!

Legend - the Hanging Judge. "He was asking for it..."

I had my "Road to Hampden" tee shirt on underneath and I may well have had a Hearts lapel badge on too!!

Legend - the Hanging Judge. "He was asking for it..."

If your assailant was wearing a paisley pattern shirt and Lois flares, with hair slightly longer at the back, then i think i may know who it was.

NT, can you account for your whereabouts when Boris and his runners parted company?

Got to 15 mins and it froze.... downloading it now.

The same thing happened a couple of times with me Kenny, i just nudged the wee tracker forward to get it moving again and then pulled it back to where i was.

Ray Winstone
Baws... downloaded it and its still sticking at 13mins... aarrghh.

You just have to coax it on slightly - move the bar below the film along and it should buffer out - I had trouble with it as well.

Was only born in 88 but it makes me laugh to think people dressed like that and had hair like that back then!

Some of the 'top boys' seem thick as ****!

Adi Dassler

There was a Millwall one filmed in the late 70's i think, and it's even funnier than this.

"And if any Northern ponce wants to have a go at me, i'll stick a glass in his face".

Or words to that effect.

From memory i think Carlton Leach (Rise of The Footsoldier) is in that West Ham one.

Terrible Trio
"And if any Northern ponce wants to have a go at me, i'll stick a glass in his face".

bloke should have gone to specsavers

was he not billy the wolf or something like that - must have been related in someway to harry the dog

Nelly Terraces
bloke should have gone to specsavers

was he not billy the wolf or something like that - must have been related in someway to harry the dog

If it's the one where their on a bus and he's giving it "We're here for a p**s up and punch up' then that's Harry the Dog.

You just have to coax it on slightly - move the bar below the film along and it should buffer out - I had trouble with it as well.

Was only born in 88 but it makes me laugh to think people dressed like that and had hair like that back then!

Some of the 'top boys' seem thick as ****!

What are you trying to say nancy boy. :)

Us East End boys were hard.

28dres2.jpg

• 11 years later...

Hey guys, I was wondering if you still have the documentary? I'm writting a paper about hooliganism in England. This documentary would be a huge help. Thank you in advance

58 minutes ago, Lind said:

Hey guys, I was wondering if you still have the documentary? I'm writting a paper about hooliganism in England. This documentary would be a huge help. Thank you in advance

Not the same film, but could be useful to you

On 24/04/2008 at 18:01, Adi Dassler said:

There was a Millwall one filmed in the late 70's i think, and it's even funnier than this.

Or words to that effect.

From memory i think Carlton Leach (Rise of The Footsoldier) is in that West Ham one.

Panorama, 1977 was the year

Its on YouTube but I don’t know how to put up a link 

Harry the dog and friends 

William H. Bonney
1 hour ago, theshed said:

Panorama, 1977 was the year

Its on YouTube but I don’t know how to put up a link 

Harry the dog and friends 

Harry the dog is the absolute spit of Simon day. Both in appearance and voice. 

I got caught up in a West Ham fight with West Brom in 1980. 16 years old. It was f’n terrifying. It’s one thing running about chasing folk quite another some lunatic smacking folk with two hammers

been here before
8 hours ago, Lind said:

I.D

Shadwell

Gumbo

'nuff said.