Not good enough McGlynn

McCrae

McGlynn needs to get the team to perform in the league. Just cant seem Ito get the team motivated for these games.

Looks lost and clueless.

If he says that we were tired due toThursday after making one forced change, a week after saying the same thing up at Aberdeen, he is a plumb.

I don't think it's McGlynn's fault today. Everyone seemed satisfied with the line-up before kick off, and I don't think his instructions included Sutton not moving up front and Novikovas to aim his crosses about 10 feet above everyones heads.

Optimus Prime

McGlynn seems to be ok at setting sides up to be hard to beat against perhaps higher calibre opponents but he doesn't seem to have a clue when the onus is on us to break the opposition down.

Not mcglynns fault that he brought on stevenson who then give us a bit more upfront only to then move him to defensive midfield?? CLUELESS

Malcolm Tucker

Blaming McGlynn? Really?!

I don't think its his fault that individual players couldn't hit a cows arse with a banjo.

Knee-jerk finger pointing is bad for you, kids.

CavySlaveJambo

Its the scoring aspect yet again. Was the same last season and the season before.

Would help if people ran onto balls going across the front of goal

The team started slow today. It's up to McGlynn to get them pumped up.

Team were all over the place today, no clear pattern of play... Hit and hope.

Against Liverpool it was a shop window for the players and they were up for it.

McGlynn's job is too make sure the team does well in the bread and. butter games.

So far he is not doing it.

It's not the first time we've lost to a team that we should have beaten and it won't be the last.

Sure, we're pissed off, but hey ho, that's what supporting Hearts is all about. I'm over it already.

Suspect Janny's got his suit pressed waiting for the day...

So he's doing the laundry is he?

Cos, he's doing feck all else!

Not mcglynns fault that he brought on stevenson who then give us a bit more upfront only to then move him to defensive midfield?? CLUELESS

I think Stevenson was trying to find space - we were static, which hampered the game of Taouil as well.

We don't appear to have the players to break teams down - we need a proper striker or a Rudi Skacel-type player, which we unfortunately don't have, and McGlynn can't do much about.

Why did he take Barr off but keep Taouil and Novikovas on for 90 minutes? Why did he move Stevenson into midfield when we were creating chances and looked lively with him upfront?

That was pish.

oh ah grantona

It's not the first time we've lost to a team that we should have beaten and it won't be the last.

Sure, we're pissed off, but hey ho, that's what supporting Hearts is all about. I'm over it already.

And here is a massive problem with hearts clueless manager and clueless fans

oh ah grantona

No pace at all no drive no nothing, can anybody say dundee have better players than us?? I sat NO problem is from the bench

Stevo should have started. Carrick was struggling and should have been removed at half time. Arvy was done after an hour and needed subbing. Bad decisions all day from mcglynn.

I can't see how we could have fielded a better side?

I do think the formation was wrong tho... Sutton should never be playing up front on his own... and defo not at home against the bottom of the league club.

He tried about every combination he could today. Sutton was dire, didn't move at all. Novikovas had one of his off days. They packed the midfield and we couldn't find a way through them. I don't think McGlynn could have done much more.

Why stevenson ended up going further and further back down the pitch after every sub is beyond me. He had our only 2 chances of the game and looked like to only one who would score.

Mr Romanov Saviour of HMFC

It's now officially a bad start to the season.

We couldn't have asked for an easier start and we are sitting on 6 points? Beat at home off a mob who were set up for the first division and who hadn't scored an SPL goal yet? Oh dear.

This could be a very bad season.

Johanes de Silentio

Why stevenson ended up going further and further back down the pitch after every sub is beyond me. He had our only 2 chances of the game and looked like to only one who would score.

This.

Mental.

ArmiyaRomanova

Don't think there was any real lack of effort today from most of the players.

But there was a real lack of invention, guile and penetration.

Thinking about it, with Temps gone there's now almost no-one in the team that can provide entertaining play (and Temps was inconsistent).

Sutton is absolutely honking, but we don't appear to have anyone else.

We have no creativity in midfield.

Our wingers can't cross a ball.

Our shooting from outside the box is diabolical.

We don't have Rudi to score goals out of nothing.

These are all problems that we don't look like overcoming.

My feelings exactly... our 'talented' youngsters are going to struggle this season and if we do not get someone who can score goals... it is going to be torture... lucky to make top six kind of season.

Side not strong enough for a sustained league campaign.

We couldn't have asked for an easier start and we are sitting on 6 points? Beat at home off a mob who were set up for the first division and who hadn't scored an SPL goal yet? Oh dear.

Nah there is enough garbage in this league that we'll be ok. I settled for an inconsistent season ages ago when most of the senior players left. We'll win some, lose some and be mid-table mediocrity at the end. Only hope is that we blood young players properly. Problem is that there are a large number of Hearts fans who have excessive expectations of a young, inexperienced team.

Not JM's fault today IMO. Players might want to have a look at themselves though.

Really... So what do you think our game plan was today?

It appeared we had no plan and that's the managers fault.

With PS and JJ it was clear how they wanted the team to play.... With JM it's a muddle.

Johanes de Silentio

Side not strong enough for a sustained league campaign.

Can't believe people really though we could finish second after losing Kello, Black, and Rudi.

Patrick Bateman

As mentioned, his first mistake was in picking an XI which had ran themselves into the ground on Thursday. Secondly, persisting in Taouil playing just in front of the centrehalves, he is ineffective beyond being an accident waiting to happen. Thirdly, he has changed set piece takes from Grainger, who had a number of assists, to Novikovas, who isn't good with them. We even allowed Grainger to take one corner, which was dangerous, then went back to Novikovas. Fourthly, playing through our centrehalves and hoofing it mindlessly to Sutton isn't acceptable at this level of football.

McGlynn strikes me as someone who, despite noticing his tactics are wrong, will refuse to change them. As the above, and his earlier persistence with McGowan as an attacking midfielder, show a level of incompetency and arrogance which is very worrying. We had the chance to go top and McGlynn's tactics throughout this season have undermined our efforts. Struggled against 10 men St Johnstone, were woeful against Hibs, threw away points against ICT and held on against Aberdeen. In every game I've seen, we've lost the midfield, mainly because we don't have one. This may be acceptable for the Raith Rovers of this world, but not us. McGlynn isn't even living up to the very low expectations I had of him on his arrival.

I think Stevenson was trying to find space - we were static, which hampered the game of Taouil as well.

We don't appear to have the players to break teams down - we need a proper striker or a Rudi Skacel-type player, which we unfortunately don't have, and McGlynn can't do much about.

Nope. He instructed Paterson to go up front and Stevo to play in behind. This was minutes after our best period of play with Ryan in the foremost attacking position.

Jesus that was frustrating.

Nah there is enough garbage in this league that we'll be ok. I settled for an inconsistent season ages ago when most of the senior players left. We'll win some, lose some and be mid-table mediocrity at the end. Only hope is that we blood young players properly. Problem is that there are a large number of Hearts fans who have excessive expectations of a young, inexperienced team.

Do you think McGlynn is the right man to blood our youngsters properly? They need a leader in the dug out... Instead we have Frank Spencer.

loveofthegame

There's only so much blame that can be put on McGlynn IMO. Just doesn't have the players.

No-one with the ability to play a killer pass from midfield, and even if there was no-one with the ability to make the required run. No-one to ping one in from 30 yards. No-one to out muscle and defender and power a header in regardless of how good a ball the wide men put in.

With no creative central midfield players, no quality attacking mid and no decent strikers, what hope has he got?!

He put out a team that pissed all over Dundee, but couldn't score. Not his fault that we are missing all these chances unless he is starting himself up top.

Spot on, sadly.

Can't believe people really though we could finish second after losing Kello, Black, and Rudi.

Where did i say we'd finish second?

I meant top six (at least), European football is a must too... maybe not second... but certainly not falling on our arse to Dundee at home.

Johanes de Silentio

Where did i say we'd finish second?

I meant top six (at least), European football is a must too... maybe not second... but certainly not falling on our arse to Dundee at home.

I didn't say you did - some did.

ArmiyaRomanova

As mentioned, his first mistake was in picking an XI which had ran themselves into the ground on Thursday. Secondly, persisting in Taouil playing just in front of the centrehalves, he is ineffective beyond being an accident waiting to happen. Thirdly, he has changed set piece takes from Grainger, who had a number of assists, to Novikovas, who isn't good with them. We even allowed Grainger to take one corner, which was dangerous, then went back to Novikovas. Fourthly, playing through our centrehalves and hoofing it mindlessly to Sutton isn't acceptable at this level of football.

Spot on.

Unfortunately we don't have anything like another XI to field. Not without losing heavily.

And there's the problem - as the season drags on, all we need is three injuries and we'll be in relegation difficulty unless there are several new arrivals at the end of the year. And one or two departures.

Mr Romanov Saviour of HMFC

It's a bit of a myth about this supposedly inexperienced young team to be honest.

Players with SPL experience who featured today:

Sutton

MacDonald

Taouil

Barr

Stevenson

Webster

Zaliukas

Grainger

Gowser

Driver

Players who would fall into the young and inexperienced bracket

Paterson

Carrick

Walker

I really don't see how that can be described as young and inexperienced by any stretch of the imagination

The White Cockade

its the Glasgow Mafia I tell ya

They are always to blame

Maybe losing Temps is a bigger blow than "the rat was pish good riddance" brigade would have us believe

We are obviously short up front but that is not McGlynn's fault

Still a shocking result with the players we have against a poor team destined for relegation but Hearts always tend

to lose the games you think will be easy

loveofthegame

It's a bit of a myth about this supposedly inexperienced young team to be honest.

Players with SPL experience who featured today:

Sutton

MacDonald

Taouil

Barr

Stevenson

Webster

Zaliukas

Grainger

Gowser

Driver

Players who would fall into the young and inexperienced bracket

Paterson

Carrick

Walker

I really don't see how that can be described as young and inexperienced by any stretch of the imagination

Spot on. As was your earlier post about it being a poor start. If you'd allowed me to hand pick our start it would have looked a lot like the 5 fixtures we have just played.

As for inexperienced. The bench maybe, but certainly not the team that started.

As I said in my last post, the players we have just aren't good enough. No creativity and no real spark.

We lost the last little bit of creativity/spark we had to Rangers on Fri night.

What's doing my nut in at the moment is that we haven't looked to change the team (much) after the midweek games. We have a big squad, albeit young, but surely we can freshen things up now and again? Last week at Aberdeen I thought we were sluggish and lucky therefore I can only assume lessons were not learned. Give the younger lads a chance and see what happens. We don't have to play the same players every week, it's not the 80's. We need to be brave and do the right thing because our young players have huge potential.

Really? Hiya new boy. :)

On the topic, I can see why McGlynn is getting a bit of stick as he (rightly) got praise for the way we performed against Liverpool. For me, there were two glaringly obvious failings of our play.

1) We seem to have this tactic where Webster/Zaliukas will wander into the wide areas, take the ball into the opposition half then lump it diagonally for the back post-ish area (for this read Rab Douglas' hands)

2) We always want to just take any free kick immediately. Now, sometimes that is good and sometimes just passing to feet is what is needed. There is no harm in taking your time though, especially when there are opposition players right by you.

As much as I loved both Liverpool games, Europe is gone now, we need to concentrate on our league form. I'm sorry, but the microscope is on McGlynn and he needs to get the best out of the bunch he has.

:thumbsup:

Dusk_Till_Dawn

Our team is basically pish and this season is likely to be the same. We've probably had our fun v Liverpool, with the exception of violating hibs

Johanes de Silentio

What's doing my nut in at the moment is that we haven't looked to change the team (much) after the midweek games. We have a big squad, albeit young, but surely we can freshen things up now and again? Last week at Aberdeen I thought we were sluggish and lucky therefore I can only assume lessons were not learned. Give the younger lads a chance and see what happens. We don't have to play the same players every week, it's not the 80's. We need to be brave and do the right thing because our young players have huge potential.

I remember when Levein was in charge - we had a league game on the Sunday after a Thursday night European tie, and Levein chose to make a lot of changes due to possible tiredeness - we lost 1-0 to Livi - after the game, Levein said 'from now on I'll play my strongest team until they drop.'

We've not been great all season, domestically before anyone says Liverpool, which has to fall at the feet of McGlynn.

Today though, I don't really blame him, on another day we'd have destroyed that shower of pish. It just didn't go for us.

Summary of what I think about the season so far, with the players at his disposal and the games we've had, we should be comfortably top of the table.

Archived