Ryder Cup Thread

Sergio Garcia

Sergio Garcia

Now that all the automatic qualifying is done and dusted it's wild card selection time for the European Ryder Cup team tomorrow meaning Ryder Cup excitement is really starting to build in the golfing world. Taking place at Medinah Country Club in Illinois from the 28th of September to 30th, one of the greatest sporting events outside the footballing world is soon to be upon us rolleyes.gif

Here's the team make ups as we know them so far

Team Europe:

Captain: Jose Maria Olazabal Vice Captains: Thomas Bjorn, Darren Clarke, Paul McGinley and Miguel Angel Jimenez

Players: Rory McIlroy, Justin Rose, Paul Lawrie, Graeme McDowell, Francesco Molinari, Luke Donald, Lee Westwood, Sergio Garcia, Peter Hanson, Martin Kaymer and two wildcards (announced tomorrow at 11am)

Think every man and his dog agrees that Poults should be picked for one of the wildcards but the second pick is a much tougher call between the inform rookie Nicolas Colsaerts and 3 time major winner Padraig Harrington. Both finished tied 19th this weekend in their respective tournaments (NC in the Johnnie Walker and PH in the star-studded Barclays field) so it really is a close call. For me I think Harrington should get the nod but got a feeling that Jos? will give Colsaerts the chance.

Team USA:

Captain: Davis Love III Vice Captains: Fred Couples, Mike Hulbert, Jeff Sluman and Scott Verplank

Players: Tiger Woods, Bubba Watson, Jason Dufner (Rookie), Keegan Bradley ?, Webb Simpson ?, Zach Johnson, Matt Kuchar ,Phil Mickelson and 4 wildcards being announced on September the 4th.

After the Barclay's this week it really is wide open for the 4 Captain's pick for the American team from the following players Steve Stricker, Hunter Mahan, Jim Furyk, Rickie Fowler, Dustin Johnson, Brandt Snedeker, Kyle Stanley and Nick Watney. All have good cases to be involved but the experience of Stricker and Furyk gives them a better chance of getting two of the four slots. For me the positivity and recent form of Snedeker would make him one of the other picks along with either Hunter Mahan or Rickie Fowler for the last berth. Be an interesting call from Davis Love III but with a minimum of three rookies already in his team it'll be a tough call.

For those not immersed in all things Ryder Cup the match is set up over 3 days, with 28 points available with the winner needing 14 1/2 points or for us European 14 points to retain and the schedule is broke down into the following.

Day 1: Friday sees 4 foursomes (alternate shots) matches in the morning and 4 fourball (better ball) in the afternoon.

Day 2: Saturday sees 4 foursomes matches in the morning and 4 fourball in the afternoon

and Day 3: Sunday sees all 24 players involved in the 12 singles matches.

Whoever gets the nod for the team it is sure to be a great spectacle as always and all that's left for me to say is #TEAMEUROPE all the way

shaun.lawson

Couple of things:

1. No disrespect intended to the obviously knowledgeable OP, but can we lose this "Team Europe" and "Team USA" bollocks? We're not American. Why can't it just be "Europe" and "USA"? :huh:

2. How absolutely ******* hopeless does that American team look? :woot: I know it's on their territory an'all, but Europe must be very warm favourites indeed.

rossthejambo

One of the best weekends of sport of the year, really been spoiled this year with the Olympics, Euros and now this.

Wildcards for Europe, I think Jose will go with Poulter and Harrington and Davis Love III will go with Stricker, Furyk, Mahan and Snedeker. Fowler had a great debut Ryder Cup at Celtic Manor last time but his form this year has been poor so think that'll count against him.

Europe have a much stronger team than the US but on home soil you can't rule the Americans out. Should be a cracker.

Couple of things:

1. No disrespect intended to the obviously knowledgeable OP, but can we lose this "Team Europe" and "Team USA" bollocks? We're not American. Why can't it just be "Europe" and "USA"? :huh:

2. How absolutely ******* hopeless does that American team look? :woot: I know it's on their territory an'all, but Europe must be very warm favourites indeed.

The American team looks quite a bit stronger than the European team imo.

shaun.lawson

Seriously?

Maybe I'm a bit 1990s about all this; I just can't believe where American golf appears to be now compared with what it was back then. I also think, in terms of recent Ryder Cups, it's almost been a question of knowing beforehand which European captains - because of their personalities - seemed like winners, and which like losers.

Faldo and James were both too divisive, especially the former; Monty, Woosie and especially the utterly perfect Langer (who I seriously wish could be captain every single time TBH) were just never going to come up short. Unlike some of their other captains, I don't think Love will let the US down at all - but I'm very confident in Ollie's abilities. He's got exactly the right temperament for the job I'd say.

Sergio Garcia

Couple of things:

The Team Europe and Team USA tags are how they are described throughout Ryder Cup coverage and websites etc plus its better for hashtags on the old twitter!

I don't think the American team looks hopeless at all in fact quite the opposite. The bookies have the USA as favourites at the minute which given the closeness of the teams and with home advantage is understandable.

And Ross I agree with your picks but the consensus stateside is that Davis Love wants Fowler in the team and is prepared to overlook his recent form to get him involved. Apart from his win at the Well Fargo earlier in year I can't remember him in contention all year.

I think for the Americans Furyk, Stricker and Mahan are locks to be picked. The other one is tough to call, Snedeker probably deserves it, but with Watney winning the Barclays tonight he's got to be a good shout to get the last place.

I think for the Americans Furyk, Stricker and Mahan are locks to be picked. The other one is tough to call, Snedeker probably deserves it, but with Watney winning the Barclays tonight he's got to be a good shout to get the last place.

rossthejambo

The Team Europe and Team USA tags are how they are described throughout Ryder Cup coverage and websites etc plus its better for hashtags on the old twitter!

I don't think the American team looks hopeless at all in fact quite the opposite. The bookies have the USA as favourites at the minute which given the closeness of the teams and with home advantage is understandable.

And Ross I agree with your picks but the consensus stateside is that Davis Love wants Fowler in the team and is prepared to overlook his recent form to get him involved. Apart from his win at the Well Fargo earlier in year I can't remember him in contention all year.

Fowler's performance at the last Ryder Cup was sensational in fairness, so I can see why he might be high up on the list despite his form. It's worked before for Europe when picking certain players. Some players are just better at matchplay and maybe Rickie is one of them.

I've had a further look at it and I'm not so sure about Snedeker anymore, he's had a solid year and a bit but with the other players who haven't made the list he might not be as attractive a choice as the other 4.

I would have to agree with you and I think the Americans will win this one, though it will be very close.

Shaun, do you have "expert" analysis on every sporting event going? It certainly seems so. Though just how expert that opinion is, I'll let others decide!

Walter Bishop

I cant see anything other than a victory for Europe in this one, the European team is as strong as i have ever seen. Poulter is a cert though i think Olazabal may surprise us with his other pick.

We have some potentially outstanding pairings with Garcia and Donald sure to team up again.

Rory McIlroy (NI) Age: 23 Caps: 1

Justin Rose (Eng) Age: 32 Caps: 1

Graeme McDowell (NI) Age: 33 Caps: 2

Paul Lawrie (Sco) Age: 43 Caps: 1

Francesco Molinari (Ita) Age: 29 Caps: 1

Luke Donald (Eng) Age: 34 Caps: 3

Lee Westwood (Eng) Age: 39 Caps: 7

Sergio Garcia (Spa) Age: 32 Caps: 5

Peter Hanson (Swe) Age: 34 Caps: 1

Martin Kaymer (Ger) Age: 27 Caps: 1

Ian Poulter

Nicolas Colsaerts

Mr Brightside

Poulter & Colsaerts get the nod.

PS, Shaun, that USA team is anything but hopeless. :rofl:

I think that's a good shout. Harrington doesn't really have a good ryder cup record compared to his individual golfing record.

The team format suits some players and doesn't suit others.

rossthejambo

Surprised with that tbh, but Colsaerts is in form just now so could be a good choice.

Sergio Garcia

As expected from Jose to give the nod to Colsaerts. I think Harrington's reading of greens in foursomes and fourballs will be missed but it's still a very strong European team.

Agree with HJ Simpson, the wildcard choices for the US could make a strong team on their own.

As expected from Jose to give the nod to Colsaerts. I think Harrington's reading of greens in foursomes and fourballs will be missed but it's still a very strong European team.

Agree with HJ Simpson, the wildcard choices for the US could make a strong team on their own.

Lookin at the US team just now, I'd say that Woods, Mickelson & Watson are so eratic days you don't know what you will get from them one hole to the next let alone over three says. Dufner & Bradley will be solid if not specatular.

Looking at their difinates thus far, I think Kuchar is the only one I'd 100% say would definately strengthen Europe over the 3 days.

The Establishment

For those who are surprised with Colsaerts pick, he did win the World Matchplay earlier this year which contained many of "Team Europe".

He is also a known long hitter (arguably longest on tour). With Medinah being very long he will be ideal for the fourballs although I am unsure who you'd pair him with.

I think our first choice pairings should be:

Rose/Poulter

Garcia/Donald

McIlroy/McDowell

Westwood/Lawrie

Two very strong teams, the US probably looking slightly stronger although not a lot in it.

I used to love the Ryder Cup but find it a bit of a strange event now. Europe are always well up for it and treat it as a major competition whereas many of the US players don't seem to see it as that important compared to the other tournaments and will be more than likely prioritsing the PGA playoffs ahead of the Ryder Cup. Its almost like an end of season exhibition type event to them. Its the same in the media, here we see lots of build up and anticipation however I rememebr being in the US back in 2004 and it was a struggle to find coverage of the final day ahead of the NFL and whatever else was on that day.

Why the {I'll do it now so the mods don't have to edit it} does each team need/have so many vice-captains?

Walter Bishop

Why the {I'll do it now so the mods don't have to edit it} does each team need/have so many vice-captains?

The feeling is that on days 1 and 2 there are only ever 4 matches at anyone time so each match has a vice-captain follow it, leaving the captain to go from match to match.

Sexton Hardcastle

Holidays to use so the Friday and Monday will be booked off.

Fair looking forward to this.

Looking forward to this. Always a highlight of the sporting calendar.

Loving the fact Sergio is back in the team. He comes to life at the Ryder Cup and his enthusiasm is infectious.

Both teams look strong but Europe has the edge imo. Although anything can happen in a Ryder Cup. It won't be won by more than two points either way I reckon.

poulter was an absolute no-brainer. he's a great competitor and is also in form and becoming a far better and more consistent player than he ever was.

colsaerts is a slight risk but he could just as easily turn out to be an inspired choice.

the american team is certainly not hopeless but yet again i'm already thinking that europe will win comfortably. the european team is packed with players who will thoroughly relish the competition again. not only that but they are simply a better group of players than anything the americans can put together.

my initial score prediction is about 16-12 europe.

shaun.lawson

my initial score prediction is about 16-12 europe.

USA! USA! USA! 13 - 15 Yurp :thumbsup:

Sergio Garcia

I will wait until nearer the time and the Americans finalise there team before making predictions.

Out of interest for any Jambos in the vicinity of Carluke, big group of us have booked the snug in the Kirkton for the Sunday singles (Sounds a bit like a speed dating club but its not) lager and golf will be the order of the day, more the merrier.

Sergio Garcia

For those interested Davis Love announces his 4 wild cards at 3:15 on Sky Sports News. The talk now stateside is that Stricker, Snedeker, Furyk and Dustin Johnson should get the nod with Mahan being unlucky to be left out.

Rickie Fowler's name is still being bandied about by some but as has been said earlier in the thread his form this year and in recent weeks isn't nothing to write him about.

For those interested Davis Love announces his 4 wild cards at 3:15 on Sky Sports News. The talk now stateside is that Stricker, Snedeker, Furyk and Dustin Johnson should get the nod with Mahan being unlucky to be left out.

Rickie Fowler's name is still being bandied about by some but as has been said earlier in the thread his form this year and in recent weeks isn't nothing to write him about.

Did Dustin Johnson not make the top 8? I'm quite surprised at that.

EDIT - Just looked it up, 15th. That's a lot lower than I expected him to be. Stricker and Furyk are stick ons IMO. It's the other 2 that will be quite interesting.

Sergio Garcia

EDIT - Just looked it up, 15th. That's a lot lower than I expected him to be. Stricker and Furyk are stick ons IMO. It's the other 2 that will be quite interesting.

I was surprised to see he was as low as that. I had assumed Furyk was a stick on but it seems out of the 4 I posted earlier he is the one that might miss out, Snedeker and Johnson recent form has impressed. I would give Furyk the nod, his experience will prove vital.

We'll soon find out at any case.

DJ was injured (Back) first part of the season which explains why so low.

Good picks

I agree.

Although his recent form hasn't been great (bascially gave away two tournaments) Furyk is still a gritty competitor and someone you'd want beside you in the trenches.

Fowler hasn't had a great year, neither has Mahan, see you can understand why they didn't get picked. Snedeker's putting has been highlighted by DL3 as being a factor behind him getting picked. Presumably if he stinks the place out tee to green it won't really come into it!

My only concern in the European team would be Kaymer, who has had a very ordinary season, but maybe he'll find some inspiration once it gets going.

I can see the Euro team slightly shading it, but this could be one the closest contests there's been for a long time, wouldn't surprise me if it ends in a tie and Europe retains the trophy.

At least it's being played on a decent course, not like last time at the phnoey composite course that is Celtic Manor.

I agree.

Although his recent form hasn't been great (bascially gave away two tournaments) Furyk is still a gritty competitor and someone you'd want beside you in the trenches.

Fowler hasn't had a great year, neither has Mahan, see you can understand why they didn't get picked. Snedeker's putting has been highlighted by DL3 as being a factor behind him getting picked. Presumably if he stinks the place out tee to green it won't really come into it!

My only concern in the European team would be Kaymer, who has had a very ordinary season, but maybe he'll find some inspiration once it gets going.

I can see the Euro team slightly shading it, but this could be one the closest contests there's been for a long time, wouldn't surprise me if it ends in a tie and Europe retains the trophy.

At least it's being played on a decent course, not like last time at the phnoey composite course that is Celtic Manor.

I agree about Kaymer, if he fell out the top 10, there's no way he'd be going giving his season so far. That and his performance at the last Ryder Cup wasn't exactly anything to write home about.

I quite liked Celtic Manor tbh, I think if it hadn't been for the weather then nothing would have been said about it.

Totally agree about Kaymer.

He's been in pretty rotten form since he won the PGA and that was over 2 years ago now.

More likely to miss a cut than be in contention these days, but that's the way it goes, he must have done something to retain his status up there!

I agree about Kaymer, if he fell out the top 10, there's no way he'd be going giving his season so far. That and his performance at the last Ryder Cup wasn't exactly anything to write home about.

I quite liked Celtic Manor tbh, I think if it hadn't been for the weather then nothing would have been said about it.

I'm not blaming the course for the bad weather, but the very fact that it took ages before they decided which 18 of the 27 holes there would be used speaks volumes.

Unfortunately in Celtic Manor's case it was a case of that particular Ryder Cup going to the highest bidder, i.e. multi millionaire Terry Matthews and not a quality established course.

And don't get me started on the venue for 2014!

The PGA Centenary isn't even the best course at Gleneagles, never mind Scotland!

I'm not blaming the course for the bad weather, but the very fact that it took ages before they decided which 18 of the 27 holes there would be used speaks volumes.

Unfortunately in Celtic Manor's case it was a case of that particular Ryder Cup going to the highest bidder, i.e. multi millionaire Terry Matthews and not a quality established course.

The PGA Centenary isn't even the best course at Gleneagles, never mind Scotland!

The course for Gleneagles is truly dreadful and I see major issues with it.

Its dull and lacks any substance to it at all :down:

The Mighty Thor

Correct.

Gleneagles at the end of Spetember will be a mud-bath. It was absolutely soaking a few weeks ago for the Johnnie Walker at the end of August and despite the changes to 18 it's still not a great course..

needn't have any worries about kaymer. he's just as likely to have a decent RC as an in-form team mate is of having a shit one.

the relative comfort of matchplay can easily result in a player hitting better form opposed to the more disciplined medal play. any lingering thoughts about swing problems may just be put to the back of his mind while concentrating on his head-to-head matches. i think those sort of problems come more to the fore when a player is under pressure to produce scores. to be on the safe side, he should probably be left out of the first round of 4-somes. an out of form player should never be left out completely out of the first two days. he should always be given a couple of games.

mark james gave no game time to andy coltart, jean van de velde and jarmo sandelin before the 1999 RC singles. one of the most ridiculous decisions i can ever think of in golf.

good picks by USA. furyk and stricker were no-brainers really.

• 2 weeks later...

I realise that says that the 4somes will be starting at half 12, but does it suggest what time they will actually be kicking off. Looking like taking a half day's out the question so will be hoping I don't miss too much by the time I get home at 4ish.

I realise that says that the 4somes will be starting at half 12, but does it suggest what time they will actually be kicking off. Looking like taking a half day's out the question so will be hoping I don't miss too much by the time I get home at 4ish.

Meant to add that in, foursomes will start at 1.20pm each day as far as I can see from website.

• 2 weeks later...

2 days to go until it all starts and excitement is starting to build here at Garcia Towers.

Practice pairing for the first two days for Team Europe and Team USA;

Yesterday's Fourballs

Donald - Westwood

Poulter - Rose

McDowell -McIIroy

Garcia - Lawrie

Molinari - Hanson

Kaymer - Colsaerts

Mickelson - Bradley

Watson - Simpson

Stricker - Woods

Snedeker - Furyk

D. Johnson - Kuchner

Z. Johnson - Dufner

Today's Foursomes (on course at the minute)

Poulter - Rose

Hanson - Kaymer

Garcia - Donald

McDowell - McIIroy

Westwood - Lawrie

Molinari - Colsaerts

Mickelson - Bradley

Dufner - Z. Johnson

Furyk - Snedeker

Watson - Simpson

Woods - Stricker

D.Johnson - Kuchar

The Mighty Thor

Really looking forward to this now :thumbsup:

loving the chirp from the septics about rowdy crowds....they're shitting it. Fact :smug:

fancy backing europe, 7/4 with betfair.

i have hate issues with webb simpson, i cant stand the man and hope he gets thrashed in every game he plays, then we wont need to hear his pro god gash, along with zach johnson.

remember when zach won a few months ago ....... i would like to thank my wife, kids ,family but MOST of all LORD JESUS CHRIST. :rolleyes:

Archived