Vegans

Generic Username

17 minutes ago, AlimOzturk said:

This is possibly the most stupid post I have read on Kickback. Well done...some achievement. 

2qcr1l.jpg

If it's already dead, what's the difference? I'm not advocating farming humans but as soon as a person is dead, it's no longer a person. It's flesh. Same as cow flesh, pig flesh, horse flesh or dog flesh. 

Clearly, if I had an emotional connection to the person previously, I wouldn't bother. Same as I wouldn't bother eating my pet dog or pet cow if I had one. But if it was some random punter, if someone said this is a paedo you've never met, for example, and we've put a bolt gun through his head, minced him, turned him in to a patty and slapped it on a bun, as I said, pass me the ketchup, I'll give it a go. 

Edited by Normthebarman

• Replies 640
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• i8hibsh

• Dawnrazor

• Maple Leaf

• Governor Tarkin

10 minutes ago, Normthebarman said:

If it's already dead, what's the difference? I'm not advocating farming humans but as soon as a person is dead, it's no longer a person. It's flesh. Same as cow flesh, pig flesh, horse flesh or dog flesh. 

You are a troll or a sociopath. Either way..get help. 

8 minutes ago, AlimOzturk said:

You are a troll or a sociopath. Either way..get help. 

Definitely not a troll. I did once worry that I was a psychopath but the general opinion is if you're worried you might be a psychopath, chances are you aren't. I don't deny that I lack a certain level of empathy with people I have no connection to though. 

I'm also not saying I'm for human burgers to be a regular thing. But the question was asked "Would I eat human flesh?"

I'm saying "Yeah, given the right circumstances, why not?" 

Edited by Normthebarman

Auld Reekin'
8 hours ago, ri Alban said:

I wonder if the ones bothering the vegan folk on the thread would eat human flesh. It's meat , and there's plenty of it, so why not. 

This thread has made me change my veiw. Small steps.

Haven't read through all of the thread, but I don't see anything of what you're claiming from any of the posts after I joined it. The only reason I posted in the first place was that a proponent of veganism (not themselves a vegan though - make of that what you will) was calling for the shutting-down of the dairy industry and that we all cease consuming any dairy products. I felt that this was an extreme and blinkered position to adopt.

I have no problems with vegans or vegetarians as such, nor with their diets and chosen lifestyles, but I do have a big problem with being told what I should or shouldn't eat by the extremist / activist factions of either community (or, indeed, by anyone else who isn't a health or dietary professional). I certainly would never try, and have never tried, to tell a vegan or vegetarian what they should, or shouldn't, be eating - that's their business and none of mine.

Dusk_Till_Dawn
2 minutes ago, Auld Reekin' said:

Haven't read through all of the thread, but I don't see anything of what you're claiming from any of the posts after I joined it. The only reason I posted in the first place was that a proponent of veganism (not themselves a vegan though - make of that what you will) was calling for the shutting-down of the dairy industry and that we all cease consuming any dairy products. I felt that this was an extreme and blinkered position to adopt.

I have no problems with vegans or vegetarians as such, nor with their diets and chosen lifestyles, but I do have a big problem with being told what I should or shouldn't eat by the extremist / activist factions of either community (or, indeed, by anyone else who isn't a health or dietary professional). I certainly would never try, and have never tried, to tell a vegan or vegetarian what they should, or shouldn't, be eating - that's their business and none of mine.

There is a reason why you shouldn’t have a problem with being told about it and that’s because the current rate of meat consumption is unsustainable globally. We’re all going to have to start cutting back and leaning towards a more veggie lifestyle.

I’m not really bothered tbh. I like meat and eat plenty of it but I can see the health benefits of eating less

There is at the top. That's what started me.  

I just want some ideas for non meat dishes, if that's ok. I eat meat but I'd like to not.

So keysies :2thumbsup:

Ach, give it a few more years and our meat will all be grown in labs anyway. No harm to the environment, everyone's happy. Win win! 

Auld Reekin'
3 minutes ago, Dusk_Till_Dawn said:

There is a reason why you shouldn’t have a problem with being told about it and that’s because the current rate of meat consumption is unsustainable globally. We’re all going to have to start cutting back and leaning towards a more veggie lifestyle.

I’m not really bothered tbh. I like meat and eat plenty of it but I can see the health benefits of eating less

Agree with much of what you say, but I'm not prepared to give the extremists any of my attention on this or any other subject.

Auld Reekin'
5 minutes ago, ri Alban said:

There is at the top. That's what started me.  

I just want some ideas for non meat dishes, if that's ok. I eat meat but I'd like to not.

So keysies :2thumbsup:

Fine by me - I'm bemused as to why you'd suggest it wouldn't be...

1 minute ago, Auld Reekin' said:

Fine by me - I'm bemused as to why you'd suggest it wouldn't be...

Sorry, didn't mean to be such an arse. Unintentional cockwombling from masel.?

Auld Reekin'
6 minutes ago, Normthebarman said:

If I ever have to have my foot amputated, I invite everyone in JKB land to eat me. That's ****ing awesome. 

Marination in red wine then long, slow, braising is the way to go with the tougher cuts such as that...   :thumbsup:

Auld Reekin'
11 minutes ago, ri Alban said:

Sorry, didn't mean to be such an arse. Unintentional cockwombling from masel.?

I too am guilty of all-too-frequent arseholery.

Marination in red wine then long, slow, braising is the way to go with the tougher cuts such as that...   :thumbsup:

Yeah, not sure I'd go for tacos. Probably shred it in the slow cooker with a BBQ sauce. 

Governor Tarkin

I too am guilty of all-too-frequent arseholery.

Nowhere near as frequent as ri Alban though. :lol:

Governor Tarkin
1 minute ago, Normthebarman said:

Yeah, not sure I'd go for tacos. Probably shred it in the slow cooker with a BBQ sauce. 

Will you be removing the toe nails first?

Auld Reekin'
1 minute ago, Normthebarman said:

Keep the bones to boil-up for stock of course.

Just now, Governor Tarkin said:

Will you be removing the toe nails first?

Of course. I'd shave the hair off too. I'm not a monster! 

Auld Reekin'
1 minute ago, Governor Tarkin said:

That's the nicest thing anyone has ever said to me on here...   :wub:

7 minutes ago, Auld Reekin' said:

With some fava beans and a nice chianti. 

EarlyFamousImperatorangel-small.gif

Edited by Ray Gin

Auld Reekin'
3 minutes ago, Ray Gin said:

With some fava beans and a nice chianti. 

EarlyFamousImperatorangel-small.gif

If you like: I'd go for root-veg and a robust Puglian red personally.

10 hours ago, Maple Leaf said:

The topic is vegans.  A plant-based diet is healthier than a meat-based diet.  The evidence in support of that is overwhelming.  Figure out the details for yourself, whatever is best for you.

I've not seen any evidence of that. Do you have any links to it?

41 minutes ago, Governor Tarkin said:

Your greenhouse is at your feet. After that statement. :)

Governor Tarkin
8 minutes ago, ri Alban said:

Your greenhouse is at your feet. After that statement. :)

:muggy: Bugger.

AlphonseCapone
46 minutes ago, Maple Leaf said:

Google is your friend.  Here's one link:

https://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/322072.php

As with all "evidence" I've read on this topic, there are too many limitations with methodology to say anything conclusively. Most often, there is lack of sample sizes, follow up or even basic controls, such as how health conscious each group are in general, deprivation etc.

Your link is simply a summary of abstracts that haven't even went through peer reviewed journals. 

I'm not trying to be arsey but what you claimed is one of these things thrown around a lot these days when the truth is the science is very young and limited at the moment. People rarely read beyond abstracts and critically analyse the methodology. When you do, there are a lot of issues. 

14 minutes ago, AlphonseCapone said:

As with all "evidence" I've read on this topic, there are too many limitations with methodology to say anything conclusively. Most often, there is lack of sample sizes, follow up or even basic controls, such as how health conscious each group are in general, deprivation etc.

Your link is simply a summary of abstracts that haven't even went through peer reviewed journals. 

I'm not trying to be arsey but what you claimed is one of these things thrown around a lot these days when the truth is the science is very young and limited at the moment. People rarely read beyond abstracts and critically analyse the methodology. When you do, there are a lot of issues. 

When it comes to health matters, and that includes diet, people should read as much of the available material as possible, then decide what is best for themselves.  Nutrition has been a controversial topic for as long as I remember.  There was a time that people even believed that sugar was a healthy thing to eat.

Captain Sausage

So ‘the evidence in support is overwhelming’ has now been downgraded to ‘I read lots that backs up my base assumption so I must be right’. 

Cool.

17 minutes ago, Captain Sausage said:

So ‘the evidence in support is overwhelming’ has now been downgraded to ‘I read lots that backs up my base assumption so I must be right’. 

Cool.

Check for yourself.

You'll not find lots of studies that say eating a diet of animal meat is good for you.  But you'll find lots of studies that say eating a plant based diet is good for you.  That equates to overwhelming to me.

btw, Captain, Sausages are not good for you.  :wink:

Captain Sausage
6 minutes ago, Maple Leaf said:

Check for yourself.

You'll not find lots of studies that say eating a diet of animal meat is good for you.  But you'll find lots of studies that say eating a plant based diet is good for you.  That equates to overwhelming to me.

btw, Captain, Sausages are not good for you.  :wink:

All part of a ‘balanced diet’, I assure you sir. 

I think the truth is, like everything, in the middle. A bit of meat, a bit of veg, a bit of carbs. It’s probably best we get a little bit of it all. 

3 hours ago, Maple Leaf said:

Google is your friend.  Here's one link:

https://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/322072.php

Thanks.

I did Google it, but there were no articles showing anything inherently better about a plant based diet. That article is no different.

All it shows is vegetarian diets are generally better than the standard western diet. Which is no surprise. Its correlation, not causation. More veg, less sugar, less refined carbs, moderate grass fed meat will achieve the same results as that article. It's also not a peer reviewed document.

As I say, I'm yet to read anything that shows a plant based diet is better. As I mentioned on this thread before, even if you ate 90% plant based and topped it up with 10% from eggs and a grass fed steak twice a month you'd be better off for it.

5 minutes ago, Captain Sausage said:

All part of a ‘balanced diet’, I assure you sir. 

I think the truth is, like everything, in the middle. A bit of meat, a bit of veg, a bit of carbs. It’s probably best we get a little bit of it all. 

Yep, which is why I'm still an omnivore. :thumb:

But I have family members who have been vegan for years and they are as healthy as all get out.

42 minutes ago, hughesie27 said:

Has anyone actually been harassed by an Activist Vegan in real life?

I haven't but there was a bunch who stormed some steak house down south and disrupted a bunch of diners. There was also some turkey farmer who got dogs abuse along with his staff, but that kind of backfired as he ended up having his most successful Christmas ever. 

47 minutes ago, hughesie27 said:

Has anyone actually been harassed by an Activist Vegan in real life?

The activist vegans I know, through my family, conduct demonstrations outside slaughterhouses, and delay trucks entering the premises for a maximum of two minutes.  They also hand out leaflets to motorists.  Police and/or site security staff are always on hand and the whole thing is done in a calm and orderly manner, so I'm told.

Those groups have an unwritten code not to harass restaurants or individual diners. 

8 hours ago, ri Alban said:

Sorry, didn't mean to be such an arse. .

Just as well - you'd probably be marinated, barbecued and eaten by 90% of the posters on this thread.  :cheese:

16 minutes ago, jonesy said:

You mean it's not? :)

Just don't understand why folk get so bothered by what others eat. Most vegans are fine. However, there's nowt as zealous as a convert... And they are often a pain.

True with everything, usually. Christian, Muslim, vegan, murderer, ex smoker. I'm just an ex smoker. Atm.  But It doesn't really bother me if folk smoke around me (Unless they think they can smoke where they like, as in my van or house). I could start again right now and I've been off them over 9 years. 

6 hours ago, Ulysses said:

Just as well - you'd probably be marinated, barbecued and eaten by 90% of the posters on this thread.  :cheese:

:isee:

14 hours ago, Governor Tarkin said:

:muggy: Bugger.

No thanks! You've had enough for your Christmas.

Edited by ri Alban

Bumping this to say if you want a decent vegan food joint then get yourself to nicolson square on a friday or saturday evening for 'the meatiest vegan burgers in edinburgh'

Thi sis my neighbours business, just trying to drum up some interest (Marvin is his name)tell him Paul sent you!!