US Open Tennis

:shitwine:

It is early doors, as the tournament is next month, but it's jus been announced that Rafa Nadal has pulled out :o

Dusk_Till_Dawn

As much as I love Rafa, this is pleasing news.

Murray will win it.

On this occasion, I'm keeping quiet.

Although I would like to point out that Laura Robson will never win a Grand Slam.

18Jambo_dave74

Murray will be seeded 3rd then.

Shame for Nadal as injuries have prevented him from potentially winning more slams. Federer has been very lucky with injuries in his career.

Mr Romanov Saviour of HMFC

On this occasion, I'm keeping quiet.

Although I would like to point out that Laura Robson will never win a Grand Slam.

:lol:

Don't be like that, DTD.

The opens wouldn't be the same without you acting like a tit.

Of course she won't, she's just a bunter! :teehee:

Murray will be seeded 3rd then.

Shame for Nadal as injuries have prevented him from potentially winning more slams. Federer has been very lucky with injuries in his career.

tbf its the style of nadal which has caused his injuries, but without that style he IMO wouldn't have won as much has he has.

Dusk_Till_Dawn

:lol:

Don't be like that, DTD.

The opens wouldn't be the same without you telling the truth and correcting over-estimates of Murray's ability and prospects.

I know, I know but I'm losing confidence in my predictions.

I P Knightley

tbf its the style of nadal which has caused his injuries, but without that style he IMO wouldn't have won as much has he has.

Exactly - it's chicken and egg stuff. Nadal's success is built on him punishing his body; Federer appears almost effortless. If Nadal had a similar, smooth style, there's no way he would boss all those matches on clay. I wrote him off (due to injuries) too early and am loathe to do so again but I think we'll only see Ledley King style intermittent appearances from him for the next couple of years. I hope not - I hope he's around into his 30s - but it doesn't look great.

I know, I know but I'm losing confidence in my predictions.

Stick with the Robson one and you'll be fine. Hewitt won't win either.

Cincy 1,000 getting busy now. Djokovic just started against Seppi; Murray's match with Querrey to follow and we'll see whether his dodgy knee is fit and able to take him into the US Open.

shaun.lawson

This is gonna be a Murray-Del Potro shoot-out. Watch the latter closely. :thumbsup:

This is gonna be a Murray-Del Potro shoot-out. Watch the latter closely. :thumbsup:

After the shocker you hd during Wimbledon, this is a MASSIVE call :lol:

shaun.lawson

After the shocker you hd during Wimbledon, this is a MASSIVE call :lol:

Sure is. But I just can't see Djokovic turning it around in time, and I don't think Federer's got anything left to prove to anyone. Delpo, meanwhile, is probably right at the point of turning it into a Big Five of men's tennis: he's advanced back to a very, very high level on the evidence of what he did in London - on his least favourite surface too.

I P Knightley

Sure is. But I just can't see Djokovic turning it around in time, and I don't think Federer's got anything left to prove to anyone. Delpo, meanwhile, is probably right at the point of turning it into a Big Five of men's tennis: he's advanced back to a very, very high level on the evidence of what he did in London - on his least favourite surface too.

I agree about Delpo finally getting back in where he would have been had he not busted his w####ng spanners and then suffered the cruellest of draws in tournaments as he climbed back (regularly meeting Nadal or Djoko (or other high seeds) in round 2 when he was going in unseeded).

Not so sure about your comment regarding the guy who won last week's ATP 1,000 event. OK, a weakened field but weakened because the others withdrew through a fatigue or niggling injuries that Djokovic appears to be able to withstand. He's nowhere near the level of first half of 2011 but he's not got a huge amount of turning around to do.

Meanwhile, Britain's gold medallist and Grand Slam finalist has been in imperious action this afternoon. You wouldn't know it if you went looking at the BBC Sport website for your sports news because (a) it's not a tournament in London and (b ) there's some English friendly football on. I despair.

Gavsy Van Gaverson

I agree about Delpo finally getting back in where he would have been had he not busted his w####ng spanners and then suffered the cruellest of draws in tournaments as he climbed back (regularly meeting Nadal or Djoko (or other high seeds) in round 2 when he was going in unseeded).

Not so sure about your comment regarding the guy who won last week's ATP 1,000 event. OK, a weakened field but weakened because the others withdrew through a fatigue or niggling injuries that Djokovic appears to be able to withstand. He's nowhere near the level of first half of 2011 but he's not got a huge amount of turning around to do.

Meanwhile, Britain's gold medallist and Grand Slam finalist has been in imperious action this afternoon. You wouldn't know it if you went looking at the BBC Sport website for your sports news because (a) it's not a tournament in London and (b ) there's some English friendly football on. I despair.

I was looking for Murray's result on the BBC site earlier as I missed it on Sky Sports. I thought he had maybe pulled out injured as I couldn't find it.

:facepalm:

The thing with Djokovic is I don't think his Olympic tournament was down to bad form, rather it was coming up against an unstoppable Andy Murray.

So we'll see how he goes, I reckon he'll be there or thereabouts. Murray will surely never have a better chance though. Nadal out, broke down a barrier of winning a big tournament, destroyed Federer when it mattered, finally gained acceptance from Britain, on his favourite surface ...

Gavsy Van Gaverson

Del Potro has just injured his left wrist in his match with Troicki. Still playing on but struggling.

Has the curse of Lawson struck before a major this time :laugh:

Tommy Wiseau

Lawson predicts Del Potro before every major :lol: Step up from Tipsy etc as he is actually a contender, but... nah :lol:

Murray has gone over a massive hurdle with the way he dismantled Djoko and then took Fed in a best of 5 at the Olympics. I have to say I have caught myself really believing this is the one. It's the perfect stage, the perfect surface, the perfect time in his career, Fed can't keep the consistency up forever, Nadal is injured and Djoko is suffering a hangover from his incredible last couple of years. Even in Cincinnati, he has made hard work of matches he used to breeze.

I really don't think Murray is going to have a better chance - he's playing the tennis of his career at the moment and, most importantly, believes he can do it.

Gavsy Van Gaverson

I'm watching Murray v Chardy at the moment. Chardy won the 1st set 6-4 and is now leading 3-2 in the 2nd set and has broke Murray 3 times.

I'm watching Murray v Chardy at the moment. Chardy won the 1st set 6-4 and is now leading 3-2 in the 2nd set and has broke Murray 3 times.

Not playing great but then he had a bit of a mare before Wimbledon as well.

This US open is without a doubt Murrays best chance.

He has been playing consistantly well in the majors for two years now but in that time has came up against unstoppable opposition.

Now he has no Rafa and Fed will now be in the realisation of no matter what he does in tennis it is unlikely that he will ever win the 'Gold' Slam and Djokovic has mentally had to get over not winning the French and being the first person since Laver to hold all 4 slams.

For both of them to lose in the final of there respective milestone matches will have an impact on them as its unlikely either will reach that stage again.

Now is the time for Murray but it could be an improving Del Porto that becomes his biggest challenge at the US this year.

Suprising result. Cant help but feel Murray probably had his mind on the the US open. He lost in the first round at Queens so its probably a blessing in disguise. Making sure he is fresh for the one that matters hopefully.

shaun.lawson

Del Potro has just injured his left wrist in his match with Troicki. Still playing on but struggling.

Has the curse of Lawson struck before a major this time :laugh:

Cursed them both within 24 hours! :lol:

AP and TW are right, though: regardless of today's result, this is without question Murray's best ever chance. And he surely won't ever get a better one afterwards.

Sergio Garcia

I called this after the Gold medal match in Olympics and I think the bronze medalists will win out.

Watching the final in Cincinatti between Federer and Djokovic and Djokovic is playing terrible

lost the first set 6-0 and winning 2-1 in the second set, has hit 5 double faults, Federer isnt really playing brilliant just alot of mistakes from Novak. Sign of things to come in US Open?

I P Knightley

That's the draw out. Couple of interesting quarter-finals if things go with seed through the first rounds:

Murray will come across Tsonga - always the potential of a good ding-dong there but in the 2nd quarter, Djokovic is lined up to meet Del Potro. After the Olympics, I think Djoko will be out for revenge and that could be a belter.

The other two are a bit less appealing: Federer in with Berdych and Ferrer with Tipsarevic. Wouldn't mind if either of those quarters saw upsets with 2 or 3 other guys coming through to match up.

The seeded semi-finalists are Federer v Murray and Djoko v Ferrer.

That's the draw out. Couple of interesting quarter-finals if things go with seed through the first rounds:

Murray will come across Tsonga - always the potential of a good ding-dong there but in the 2nd quarter, Djokovic is lined up to meet Del Potro. After the Olympics, I think Djoko will be out for revenge and that could be a belter.

The other two are a bit less appealing: Federer in with Berdych and Ferrer with Tipsarevic. Wouldn't mind if either of those quarters saw upsets with 2 or 3 other guys coming through to match up.

It's a shame that Murray and JMDP have been given the Lawson Curse :sob:

shaun.lawson

Now, how can I possibly get this even more wrong than last time eh?

Predictions

Semi-Finals

Federer v Murray

Ferrer v Del Potro

Final

Murray v Del Potro

Champion

Del Potro :o

The winner of Fed - Murray wins it imo. :o

Del Potro could well be in the final but Lawson has probably ruined that. :o

shaun.lawson

Health warning (1): Murray heads into this US Open with a whole two - that's two - hard court matches under his belt this summer. And Raonic, who's due a big scalp at a Slam, and Tsonga aren't exactly ideal if he's to make the semis either.

Health warning (2): Mr Federer won Cincinnati without even losing his serve in the whole event. It was almost as though the Olympics had never even happened. :o

Health warning (3): How will Delpo's wrist hold up?

Yes, I'm getting anxious already. :turned:

Health warning (1): Murray heads into this US Open with a whole two - that's two - hard court matches under his belt this summer.

Isnt that 1 more match than he had on the grass court? Losing 1st round at queens

shaun.lawson

Isnt that 1 more match than he had on the grass court? Losing 1st round at queens

Well yes - but that's because the entire grass court season only consists of two tournaments! :lol:

And best not to get ahead of ourselves anyway. A lot of pundits are tipping Raonic to take Murray out in the last 16. :ninja:

Gavsy Van Gaverson

Well yes - but that's because the entire grass court season only consists of two tournaments! :lol:

And best not to get ahead of ourselves anyway. A lot of pundits are tipping Raonic to take Murray out in the last 16. :ninja:

I'd say that more pundits think Murray will win the whole tournament than are saying he'll lose to Raonic.

Bloody raining again in New York. They really need to get a roof on one of their stadium courts. Not an easy task given their size though :laugh:

Also, why do they still not cover the courts when it rains? :facepalm:

Gavsy Van Gaverson

Probably because its very easy to get dry. Players due on in 5 minutes.

It can still take up to half an hour to dry those courts. From a tv perspective it seems crazy that they'd take that additional time to get the players back on court.

Murray been fairly average so far but won the first set 6-2 and is now 5-4 up in the second set.

Sergio Garcia

Murray wins in straight sets 6-2 6-4 6-1

:thumbsup:

A funny game where he was scarely at his best, safely through which is all that matters at this stage.

Gavsy Van Gaverson

A funny game where he was scarely at his best, safely through which is all that matters at this stage.

Aye he certainly wasn't impressed by his performance but it is all about getting through the early rounds.

I'd say that more pundits think Murray will win the whole tournament than are saying he'll lose to Raonic.

Bloody raining again in New York. They really need to get a roof on one of their stadium courts. Not an easy task given their size though :laugh:

Also, why do they still not cover the courts when it rains? :facepalm:

The organisers say it makes the courts look ugly!

Raonic is suppose to be a the threat to Murray in his quarter? Unlikely - 2-1 down to a clay courter. Really struggling.

Gavsy Van Gaverson

Raonic is suppose to be a the threat to Murray in his quarter? Unlikely - 2-1 down to a clay courter. Really struggling.

2-1 down in sets and a break down.

Shaun strikes again :facepalm:

2-2 Dug himself out of a hole there. Hardly inspiring form that would have Murray worried.

Gavsy Van Gaverson

2-2 Dug himself out of a hole there. Hardly inspiring form that would have Murray worried.

This match could still go either way.

I agree that Murray would beat Raonic no problem based on this performance.

Nalbandian pulls out of US Open. Del Potro to play a lucky loser.

Murray last on Ashe tomorrow.

Could that mean a few beers at home watching the tennis, quick shower, then off to the station for the 6.52 train to Liverpool?

Could that mean a few beers at home watching the tennis, quick shower, then off to the station for the 6.52 train to Liverpool?

Sky saying they think Murray will be on around 2am.

shaun.lawson

It is probably sensible to wait until someone I've mentioned as a possible threat (but not tipped: I have Murray as runner-up) has actually lost before making such claims. :ninja:

Rising stars get themselves up for the big possible breakthrough matches. They're very often not at all focused for matches such as Raonic's yesterday. But he got through; therefore, he's still a threat.

Hope nobody followed the Metro's tip on Karlovic to beat Wang. Thankfully I never. Appalling stuff. Papers should be banned from discussing betting.

Sergio Garcia

Hope nobody followed the Metro's tip on Karlovic to beat Wang. Thankfully I never. Appalling stuff. Papers should be banned from discussing betting.

Metro are usually quite decent from a betting perspective. Not at all tips will win, otherwise they'd be called Cast Iron Certainties

Gavsy Van Gaverson

It is probably sensible to wait until someone I've mentioned as a possible threat (but not tipped: I have Murray as runner-up) has actually lost before making such claims. :ninja:

Rising stars get themselves up for the big possible breakthrough matches. They're very often not at all focused for matches such as Raonic's yesterday. But he got through; therefore, he's still a threat.

Very true :laugh:

Archived