most iconic hearts picture ever....

droid

12 hours ago, Morgan said:

What a feckin post!  

I’ve had many a pint with Bernie.  (Penthouse).  A great memory of Big Bernie at Gayfield too.

Legend.

As was Rover.

Had a few pints with Bernie in Worthies then the Clock Inn after a Celtic game. Around Christmas 1992, iirc. Beat them 1-0. Quite a few Celtic lived in Dalry, according to BB, and were in the pub. Came close to kicking off but didn't. 

Rover was there, too. 😊

Also had a few in the Tree on another occasion. 

Edited by martoon

• Replies 299
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Hearts Heritage

• dannymack

• Hendricks

• Morgan

6 minutes ago, 3fingersreid said:

😂😂

our bus was down by the waste land beside the corrugated towers ( what the **** were they?) it was certainly less than friendly but Hearts gave as good as they got 😂😂

Parkhead really was a bomb site. Genuine bandit country but I still felt safe with those lads around. They kept an eye on us younger lads and made sure we came to no harm. 

There is no club like Heart of Midlothian and our magnificent support. 

Can't believe this wasn't on here.

Still gives me goosebumps when I see it. Was a special game, and a special penalty save

Kello.jpg.3614fad329c1bc0e733aa7e7f38dd986.jpg

Worthing Jambo
On 14/07/2020 at 18:46, 3fingersreid said:

F93561E8-DB23-40F4-BE1D-25FD1E8C4350.jpeg

Who is the wee dug in the picture?

Never noticed it before.

Worthing Jambo
On 14/07/2020 at 22:06, Morgan said:

What a feckin post!  

I’ve had many a pint with Bernie.  (Penthouse).  A great memory of Big Bernie at Gayfield too.

Legend.

As was Rover.

I heard Bernie was a quiet lad before the Penthouse corrupted him.

Edit: Also, was the back room not the original venue for the Mercer take over?

He was supposed to go to a meeting there but instead turned up at the Orwell a couple of days later?

Edited by Worthing Jambo

1 minute ago, Worthing Jambo said:

Who is the wee dug in the picture?

Never noticed it before.

It’s blackie the cat😂👍

Worthing Jambo
4 minutes ago, jamboozy said:

It’s blackie the cat😂👍

I wasn’t sure but it looked too big for a cat 😂

Edited by Worthing Jambo

John Findlay
22 hours ago, martoon said:

Had a few pints with Bernie in Worthies then the Clock Inn after a Celtic game. Around Christmas 1992, iirc. Beat them 1-0. Quite a few Celtic lived in Dalry, according to BB, and were in the pub. Came close to kicking off but didn't. 

Rover was there, too. 😊

Also had a few in the Tree on another occasion. 

I remember Annfield, Stirling Albion's old ground and they had a covered end behind one of the goals. Lots of Hearts buses arrived at the sametime and we forced open a gate and all piled in.

Sure big Bernie was down the front with his dog and this police inspector went over to him and started waving his finger in his face. Someone shouted stick the heid on him Bernie, he did and total mayhem ensued. We won the game 4-2, but Stirling Albion scored in the first minute, more crowd trouble ensued.

On 11/07/2012 at 07:19, Buffalo Bill said:

Some good ones ...

hearts-image-1-996471305.jpg

10.jpg

2_5.jpg

I joined the Police in 2002. In 2012 my Sergeant, who is also a Jambo put me at the front of this parade from the City Chambers to Tyney. That's me to the left of the cop standing side on on the right of the picture. You have good days at work but none will ever better that one

On 11/07/2012 at 11:59, moogsy said:

195863-skacel-in-talks-with-hearts-over-return-410x230.jpg

_60352444_6951711.jpg

I love this one. You can see what it means to the big fella

2 hours ago, John Findlay said:

I remember Annfield, Stirling Albion's old ground and they had a covered end behind one of the goals. Lots of Hearts buses arrived at the sametime and we forced open a gate and all piled in.

Sure big Bernie was down the front with his dog and this police inspector went over to him and started waving his finger in his face. Someone shouted stick the heid on him Bernie, he did and total mayhem ensued. We won the game 4-2, but Stirling Albion scored in the first minute, more crowd trouble ensued.

:4_1_72:

5 hours ago, John Findlay said:

He was some bloke, was Bernie.

He also had a heart of gold.

Apparently, he got the nickname ‘Bernie’ because he looked like Bernie Winters from the comedy duo, Mike and Bernie.  :lol: 

TorinoJambo
5 hours ago, John Findlay said:

I missed that game as I was getting married that day. Some guys from our bus(Penicuik) came to the night do and told me. I wasn't surprised. My first experience of Bernie was at the semi final replay with Dumbarton at Hampden (won 3-0). Me and two mates were standing near him. He was absolutely blootered and by the end of the game could hardly stand. We offered to help get him back to his bus. Easier said than done. I think it took about 10 of us to grapple him along. What a man!!!

Either the 1952 Scottish Cup Semi Final * or the 1954 Scottish League Cup Final.

* Over 90k 1st game, over 80k 2nd game and over 60k for the 3rd game 

Over the 3 games, over 230.000 fans attended the Heart of Midlothian v Motherwell Scottish Cup Semi Finals.

Motherwell (N) 4-2 (SLCF) 23.10.1954 Captains shake at start.jpg

22games nro

Had a lump in my throat the 1st time I saw this saw it and it does the same to me every time I see it .

THERE_BUT_NOT_THERE_HEARTS_FC_005.jpg

29 minutes ago, 22games nro said:

Had a lump in my throat the 1st time I saw this saw it and it does the same to me every time I see it .

THERE_BUT_NOT_THERE_HEARTS_FC_005.jpg

Very poignant

On 11/07/2012 at 20:33, Harry Palmer said:

rudi1.jpg

That was my desktop screen for a longtime, it is a fantastic picture and absolutely catches everything about that day in one magnificently framed shot.  

Fozzy on the Fence is exactly the same, everything a great picture should be, a perfect capture of a split moment in time. 

This one isn't quite iconic, but I remember seeing it in Nat Geo over 30+ years ago and it popped up on an advert on my Facebook the other week so had to grab a download.

Screenshot_20200708_132115_com.android.chrome.jpg

SectionDJambo
10 hours ago, Gulf Jambo said:

Still gives me goosebumps when I see it. Was a special game, and a special penalty save

It was a fitting tribute to a great player who, not for the first time, was treated badly by the Hearts board at the end of his time with us.

It is one of the consolations of suffering the late 60s and 70s, that those of us around got to see this great goalkeeper.

heartandsoul
14 minutes ago, SectionDJambo said:

It was a fitting tribute to a great player who, not for the first time, was treated badly by the Hearts board at the end of his time with us.

It is one of the consolations of suffering the late 60s and 70s, that those of us around got to see this great goalkeeper.

Kello was magnificent that day with his tribute to Cruickie.

TyphoonJambo
11 hours ago, Gulf Jambo said:

TyphoonJambo

Still makes me fill up. Tremendous tribute. I really really wish we could have made it up with him before he passed. A legend 

SectionDJambo
1 minute ago, TypoonJambo said:

Still makes me fill up. Tremendous tribute. I really really wish we could have made it up with him before he passed. A legend 

I think, from memory, to be fair, Hearts did try, once the club had changed hands from the board that we all despised. Seem to remember a story of Alan Anderson trying to persuade him to come back to Tynecastle.

What a reception he would have got.

TyphoonJambo
6 minutes ago, SectionDJambo said:

I think, from memory, to be fair, Hearts did try, once the club had changed hands from the board that we all despised. Seem to remember a story of Alan Anderson trying to persuade him to come back to Tynecastle.

What a reception he would have got.

I would have travelled back for that. Makes you wonder though, just how bad we treated him? 

Taken roughly from the same place. 

Donaldson School in the background the ideal feature to measure up with.

FB_IMG_1539801970029.jpg

IMG_20181017_222829.jpg

6 hours ago, assessor said:

Loved the big sign .queued many a time looking up at it...

They changed the font design in the late 60's im led to believe.

FB_IMG_1525642052437.jpg

On 16/07/2020 at 09:09, Gulf Jambo said:

Awesome Picture, superb save. Respect to MK...

14 hours ago, NLTFTh said:

Awesome Picture, superb save. Respect to MK...

It still gives me chills. 

There was an aura around Tynecastle that day. 

Felt like he was destined to save that penalty