BarneyBattles

What boys / school team did you play for and when?

Walter Burns
37 minutes ago, Jambo314 said:

Just come across this thread as wasn't a member of the forum when it started.

Played Sat/Sun for a lot of clubs.

All dates and names may not be correct due to it being many years ago, now aged 60 😁

Silverknowes Primary 60's

Craigroyston High School 70's ... ( Gordon Strachan played in the team 2 years above I think? )

Pilton Sporting Club ... early/mid 70's

Edina Hibs ... early/mid 70's

Edinburgh Thistle ... mid 70's

Melbourne Thistle ... mid/late 70's

St Bernard's ... late 70's

Parkvale ... early/mid 80's 

Groathill Thistle mid 80's

The Gunners ( pub ) mid 80's

Powderhall Arms ( pub ) mid/late 80's

46 BB'S .... last game I played broken ankle playing against Muirhouse Violet 

Golf was my next hobby😆

Did you play at St David's 5 a side for Pilton Sporting club....played for them until we moved to take over Longstone Hearts......played in team with Bimbo Currie....John Calvey....Omo....had a great team.....won the John White memorial trophy... then got beat by Kilmarnock s form team...

Jambo314
1 minute ago, Walter Burns said:

Did you play at St David's 5 a side for Pilton Sporting club....played for them until we moved to take over Longstone Hearts......played in team with Bimbo Currie....John Calvey....Omo....had a great team.....won the John White memorial trophy... then got beat by Kilmarnock s form team...

Yes, they all played in the same team as me, Rab Lettuce was the manager under 13's or there abouts, were all good friends of mine😊 also use to play 5 asides over at Craigroyston school, the Tigers being my team, played in Maroon obviously with my dad being the coach😁

Walter Burns
1 hour ago, Jambo314 said:

Yes, they all played in the same team as me, Rab Lettuce was the manager under 13's or there abouts, were all good friends of mine😊 also use to play 5 asides over at Craigroyston school, the Tigers being my team, played in Maroon obviously with my dad being the coach😁

Must have been in same team....👌👌

Maroon tinted glasses 2

Murrayburn primary (Calder shield winners 82 or 3), played against Henry Smith's lad in the final and got Henry to sign my shin pads. 

Glenpark

Parents separated so moved to other side of edinburgh and royal high primary didn't have a footy team until the year after I left. 

Went to Porty high (same time as Chester and Flo) but ended up in the rugby team then got distracted by boobs and my sporting career ended. 

Jambo314
1 hour ago, Walter Burns said:

Must have been in same team....👌👌

We did indeed after our DM 

portobellojambo1

Parsons Green Primary School 1963-1968

41st Boys Brigade, Duddingston - 1965--68

United Crossroads - 1967

Tynecastle Boys Club - 1967-1968

Portobello Thistle Boys Club - 1968-1972

( I was at Portobello High School and left in 1974, and they had not long started playing football, it was a rugby school prior to that. I had a brain haemorrhage at age 16.5 and that brought my football playing intentions to a close for a few years. In my early/mid 20's I went back to playing again for Portobello in the local Sunday League, but by then I had been attracted to alcohol, cigarettes and a lot less training, and that only lasted for 2/3 years. During my working life I did play 5 a sides for a period, between ages  35-40, but at coming up for 64 I'm now comfortable just going along every weekend to watch HMFC).

Rudiscoresagain

Drylaw Primary

Gracemount Secondary

United Crossroads

mid 60s to mid 70s
Happy days. Eric Gardner, Tam McLeod & Bert Pruce in charge at Crossroads. 

j1964m
On 12/06/2016 at 09:05, carnockjambo said:

I must have played alongside you at sometime. What's your name ?

John mitchell

luckyBatistuta

Always thought I was a decent player, but I was pish really...that fekn sniper in the stand was partly to blame🤬

Sciennes Primary 

Edina Hibs

55th Cluny Boys Brigade

Class of 75

19th Edinburgh Boys Brigade from 86 to 92 and Lasswade High from 90 to 93. Played in team with Locke and Gary Naismith. Ian Murray and I had a Hearts supporters team at Edinburgh University where we played every week. Called the team the Tynie Terrors. When I look back not the best name. 

Edited by Class of 75

John Findlay

First team I ever played for was my uncle Robert's called Newbridge United

Back in 1971/2. Was in Dalmuir and were named as such as the Erskine bridge had just opened.

First school team was Pirniehall primary

Aged 10 in 1973 and also Fettison/Lauriston boys club then too.

Next school team was St Catherine's 1974/1975. Took over from a certain Scott Wilson as the school goalie as he had moved on to secondary school. Remember that school team having our photo in the Evening News.

1975-1979. School team St Thomas of Aquinas.

1975-1979, Boys club(s)  St Bernsrds and Royston boys club.

Edited by John Findlay

John Findlay
12 hours ago, Walter Burns said:

Do you mean James Calvey? I lived in the next stair to the Calvey's in Ferry Road Drive I was no 4 they were no 6. I remember a James and Thomas Calvey.

Rab Lettuce. If his son was named Russell then I was in the Pirnihall school team with his son.

robbo1874
12 hours ago, Jambo314 said:

Rab Lettuce

Ha worked with him,he was known as the cabbage (original I know)! 

I was an apprentice. 

There was quite a lot of nasty stuff said about him at work behind his back. Won't repeat it because I have no idea if true. 

Walter Burns
Just now, John Findlay said:

Do you mean James Calvey? I lived in the next stair to the Calvey's in Ferry Road Drive I was no 4 they were no 6. I remember a James and Thomas Calvey.

Rab Lettuce. If his son was named Russell then I was in the Pirnihall school team with his son.

No definitely John....I was at school with him....James was his younger brother..not sure about Rabs son ..do know he stayed in Stockbridge....

munro9

Parsons Green Primary ( same time as Davie Bowman and Robbo or Pop as he was known then)

Northfield Boys Club

United Crossroads (late 70s -early 80s)

Hector Riva

Oxgangs primary, Corstorphine primary , Craigmount High and Maybury thistle the early days. I wasn't very good.                                  I'v been waiting since 1974 for another club to come in for me.:phface:

Edited by Hector Riva

tynietot

Played for Easthouses boys club in the seventies.

In 1977 we went to the south of France to play in a “World Cup” type competition representing Scotland.(under 12’s)

There was a fair few Jambos in that squad, wondered if there was any of them on kickback?

grumpy rebus

Blackhall PS around 76/77

Broomhall Saints 80/81 (possibly)

Then Sunday league later. 

Found out I was a better egg chaser so stuck to that. Anytime I played football, I looked like an egg chaser - physical, but with “limited” technique 😂😂😂

alanbauld

I was once second reserve for Craiglochart primary in the 1950's. I had just come to Edinburgh from the Isle of Rum and never kicked a ball in my life other than a few weeks in Craiglochart playground, lucky there were no substitutions in these days which probably saved me from a very early end to my career. Did play a couple of times for Rangers but that was the Bulawayo Rangers.

TypoonJambo
53 minutes ago, robbo1874 said:

I was an apprentice. 

There was quite a lot of nasty stuff said about him at work behind his back. Won't repeat it because I have no idea if true. 

Was he a painter decorator? Was a mate of my younger brother, Willy Bennett. You may have also played with him. 

Jambo314
3 minutes ago, TypoonJambo said:

Was he a painter decorator? Was a mate of my younger brother, Willy Bennett. You may have also played with him. 

Yes, Rab was painter/decorator.

Jambo314
1 hour ago, John Findlay said:

James and Thomas, who may have been twins were a few years younger? John was the oldest.

Jambo314
1 hour ago, robbo1874 said:

I was an apprentice. 

Yes, there were rumours going around in later years.

John Findlay
1 hour ago, Walter Burns said:

No definitely John....I was at school with him....James was his younger brother..not sure about Rabs son ..do know he stayed in Stockbridge....

Thanks. The lettuces I knew stayed in West Granton in the houses that are long gone. I remember as a teenager playing fitbaw in St David's school on a Sunday afternoon. James Calvey played then along with the three Smith boys and a put 4 of the MacGregor brothers.

At 57 this year I think I may be a mere youngster😉

John Findlay
16 minutes ago, Jambo314 said:

James and Thomas, who may have been twins were a few years younger? John was the oldest.

Thanks for that. They may have been twins. Over 40 years ago now so the memory could be playing tricks on me.

Hashimoto
13 hours ago, Jambo314 said:

Rab Lettuce.....There's a name from the past! I knew him from Muirhouse Terrace back in the early, mid 1960's We all used to all play football on the big green behind what used to be Ferranti's

TypoonJambo
1 minute ago, Hashimoto said:

Rab Lettuce.....There's a name from the past! I knew him from Muirhouse Terrace back in the early, mid 1960's We all used to all play football on the big green behind what used to be Ferranti's

Happy days, im from place west and we had massive games there and on the grass by the primary school. Also remember the BT apprentices had to give up climbing up their poles when all you scumbags from the terrace started shooting them with air rifles😊

Bringitbak

Gylemuir primary, 

Tall oaks

Broomhall saints

Craigmount high

Hutchie

Porty thistle 

Sighthill amateurs

Clerry hearts

Gauntlet

Liberton cropley

Edin City. 

Still kicking a ball for work team. Long recovery time now tho!!! 

robbo1874
31 minutes ago, Jambo314 said:

Yes, there were rumours going around in later years.

Some pretty horrible stuff said about him. Given it was about 1983 ish you can imagine what it was like.

Seemed like a quiet decent guy but only worked with him a few times. He  was fitba mad back then. Always playing or training some team

EH23-Jambo

Woodburn Hearts

Dalkeith Thistle

Dalkeith Boys Club

Hibs Nil
On 10/07/2012 at 21:02, moogsy said:

D Mains Primary from about 95-99

Leith Athletic from 95-97 roughly

Cramond Boys Club from about 97-00

Also trained with St Johnstone Boys at Meadowbank for a couple of months while at Cramond.

Chucked it in 1st year.

:sob:

I started Cramond Boys Club (as Dynamo Cramond) in 1979-ish. Amazing to see it go on to such great things.

Dannie Boy

Burdiehouse Primary.    1963/64 
Gracemount Secondary  3rd year 

Scouts league on Saturdays.

Played rugby for the first two years at secondary school as to many bloody Hearts players in the first team 😡 stuff being 6th reserve and hanging around the touchline getting soaked on a wet Saturday morning. 

Did play for one of the Edinburgh City teams back in the 70s but burds got my attention and exercise routines. 
Miraculously played semi pro in Australia for a few years in the 80s.

Great bump.

Edited by Dannie Boy

Hibs Nil

Cramond Primary - late 70s

Cramond Boys Club - late 70s / early 80s

Broomhall Saints - 83-ish

Royal High - early 80s

Heriot-Watt - late 80s

Real Maroon - the first few years, which I think was 2003/4-ish?

Robbo Is God

I can't quite remember the years but started around 91/92ish:

Dalkeith BC

Danderhall Primary

Danderhall BC

Edina Hibs

Dalkeith High

Dalkeith BC

Musselburgh Athletic

Scouted by Hearts, asked to go for a trial with Wolves (said no, don't know why!) Trained with Gala Fairydean before ankle injury ended me. Not sure if I was all that good, just a stupidly fast striker 

Absolute Scenes

Only ever played for Seton Boys FC from 7s to 11s, over 10 years a servant - the worst team in the worst league. Last ever league game we played before the team folded, we beat Edina Hibs 8-0 B) what a lap of honour it was for the 12 spectators that day.

Edited by Absolute Scenes

buzzbomb
2 hours ago, Walter Burns said:

John is the Janny at craigroyston.

Hashimoto
57 minutes ago, TypoonJambo said:

Happy days, im from place west and we had massive games there and on the grass by the primary school. Also remember the BT apprentices had to give up climbing up their poles when all you scumbags from the terrace started shooting them with air rifles😊

I ended up working for BT. Did my pole climbing and lead plumbing courses at Muirhouse. The air rifle stories are legendary. In defense we were not responsible for setting fire to the primary school!

Jambo314
4 minutes ago, buzzbomb said:

Ah is he, last time I spoke to him many years ago he was scaffolding I think he said?

Clever footballer, played in a good Links Utd side.

ScottieMac17

Bonnyrigg Rose

Hobos Youth team

Salvesen BC

Livingston

Currie Star

Bonnyrigg Rose

Civil Service Strollers Jnrs

Whitehill Jnrs

Selkirk Jnrs

maroondevo52

Tollcross Primary.

Tynecastle High.

Hutchie Vale.

East Ham.

Masonic

lorne 90s

redpath 90s & 2000s

leith athletic 2000s

trinity 2000s

lochend 2000s

John Findlay
1 hour ago, Jambo314 said:

Ah is he, last time I spoke to him many years ago he was scaffolding I think he said?

Clever footballer, played in a good Links Utd side.

James was a not bad player too.

grumpy rebus
1 hour ago, Hibs Nil said:

Cramond Primary - late 70s

Cramond Boys Club - late 70s / early 80s

Broomhall Saints - 83-ish

Royal High - early 80s

Heriot-Watt - late 80s

Real Maroon - the first few years, which I think was 2003/4-ish?

we must’ve been at the Royal High at a similar time. I left in 83!!

Class of 75
1 hour ago, Robbo Is God said:

I can't quite remember the years but started around 91/92ish:

Dalkeith BC

Danderhall Primary

Danderhall BC

Edina Hibs

Dalkeith High

Dalkeith BC

Musselburgh Athletic

Scouted by Hearts, asked to go for a trial with Wolves (said no, don't know why!) Trained with Gala Fairydean before ankle injury ended me. Not sure if I was all that good, just a stupidly fast striker 

Hi mate just reading through these posts and saw your moniker. The man is indeed, totally agree. 

Dayman

Royal High 2004-2010 

Hutchy 2004-2006

Cowdenbeath 2006-2007

Spartans 2007-2009

Salvy 2009-2011

I feel very young after reading some comments on here..!

TypoonJambo
1 hour ago, Hashimoto said:

I ended up working for BT. Did my pole climbing and lead plumbing courses at Muirhouse. The air rifle stories are legendary. In defense we were not responsible for setting fire to the primary school!

Nope, that was, allegedly, my wee cousin Allen. 

TypoonJambo
1 hour ago, buzzbomb said:

Facility manager i think you meant. 😁

TypoonJambo
2 hours ago, robbo1874 said:

Some pretty horrible stuff said about him. Given it was about 1983 ish you can imagine what it was like.

Seemed like a quiet decent guy but only worked with him a few times. He  was fitba mad back then. Always playing or training some team

Ive met him many times, as i said my brother worked with him for many years. Done a lot for young footballers. I like to think, just a quite, private bloke. 

robbo1874
13 minutes ago, TypoonJambo said:

Ive met him many times, as i said my brother worked with him for many years. Done a lot for young footballers. I like to think, just a quite, private bloke. 

Aye totally..

Ken what it's like back then though. If you're a wee bit different at all people were pretty savage/ignorant

jambo east anglia

Tollcross Primary in the late 60s.  Regular Saturday morning gubbings at Meggetland then walk home by the canal so I could spend the bus fare on sweets at the wee shop (which I think was someone's house).