BarneyBattles

What boys / school team did you play for and when?

Craig Gordons Gloves

edit - wrong thread

Edited by Craig Gordons Gloves

Australis

Inch primary, now Liberton Primary.

Won the Epsaa cup beating Craigmillar 1973-74 :sunny:

Cruyff Turn

10th Leith BB's

Hermitage Park

Leith Athletic

Thurlaston

Late 70s - Bonnington primary and Leith BBs (the church on Gt Junction St close to Ard Records, possibly 23rd BBs).

Just started training with Hutchie and got picked for Leith schools before getting ran over and ending up in hospital for 3 months and didn't really play in a team again until I started playing in the Sunday pub leagues for a laugh. More enthusiasm than talent

alwaysthereinspirit

You beat us 2-1. We scored first with a penalty.

Rick Grimes

Salvesen around 1985 as a goalkeeper for the under 10s. Wasn't too bad but was too wee so shifted outfield the next season where I was woeful.

Other than that only my shite secondary school team and the Edinburgh University Hearts supporters team - volunteered to be captain for that and somehow found myself on the team sheet every week playing the Rudi style attacking left midfield role :lol:

Edit: just realised I answered this four years ago....

Edited by Rick Grimes

Morgan

Genuinely never heard of Inch primary.

Where's that? Is it in Edinburgh?

smiler

Genuinely never heard of Inch primary.

Where's that? Is it in Edinburgh?

You know it is.

I recall you previously, on another thread, pretending not to have heard of said area.

Morgan

You know it is.

I recall you previously, on another thread, pretending not to have heard of said area.

Not me.

Never heard of it.

If I knew where it was I wouldn't have asked.

Footballfirst

Benarty Primary in Ballingry, Fife around 1966/67. I played in the same team as Doug Rougvie.

I was never good enough to play at Beath Senior High School. However my contemporaries at Beath included, later to be SPL/SFL managers, Jim Leishman, Dick Campbell, his twin Ian Campbell, plus the then Scottish Schools captain Gordon Pate who was signed by Dunfermline, but didn't make it as a pro.

Shanghai Hearts

Melbourne Thistle i think-Pre 80's but I was young

Inch Boys Club- U9/10/11-1980

Broughton Boys Club- U14 1 1984

Captais CabinU15/16 1985/86

The Ginger Jambo

Cavalry Park - 2004 - 2008

Edina Hibs - 2008 - 2009

Leith Athletic - 2009 - 2012

AC Oxgangs - 2012 - 2013

Leith Athletic - 2013 - 2015

Royal High Primary - 2006 - 2010

Portobello High - 2010 - 2012, 2013 - 2014

I won the Edinburgh Schools Cup with Porty in S1 and countless trophies with Royal High

The Ginger Jambo

In terms of players I've played with, I've played with Ross King (Billy and Adam's younger brother). That's all I can think of in terms of people who have made it somewhat

Kiwidoug

I once played in a pre-season friendly for Ferranti Thistle.  If I'd known that one day they would be thrashing hibs in a Cup final I would have tried harder.

Eno

Shortly after U16's I discovered clubbing so most things are a blur tbh. I said Milk Cup but I might be getting it (name) mixed up. It was held in Paisley I think but if you were there I'm fairly sure you'd remember it :lol: Brian took the whole team there in his tiny white van and we got pulled over. He had to take half the team and come back for the rest :)

Aye there were quite a few lads from those areas. Forgot about Brian's pony!

Haha. Think I would've remembered that right enough. I don't think I was there then. I'll bet Brian still had his paint tins in the back too!!

Just remembered another name - Damien the goalie - he and his dad had their own gardening business from Barnton if I remember?

Must'very played along side you at some point by the sounds of it.

BelgeJambo

Melbourne Thistle i think-Pre 80's but I was young

Inch Boys Club- U9/10/11-1980

Broughton Boys Club- U14 1 1984

Captais CabinU15/16 1985/86

Played pre-season friendlies against Melbourne Thistle - Great coach there, think his name was Sandy ????  Sadly no longer with us

Diadora Van Basten

Meadowmill 84 - 86

Salvesen 86 - 87

Deerpark 87 - 89

Musselburgh Windsor 89 - 90

S form with Dunfermline

Luscious Laryea

Played for Boroughmuir through high school - best player played with was Eddie Mearns (as many will know he was one of the big prospects for Hearts when he was about 17/18). He was outstanding back then, real shame he could never say no to a bevvy.

John Findlay

Indeed only the big 3 in Pompey now Nelson Sultan and Collingwood. Left in 2005 after 23 years not the same Navy but good piss ups with ships football teams around the globe

Oh yes the social side was brilliant.

My favourite was whilst on the Fife we had 10 days in Keil for Keil Woche. Big sailing regatta.

Got invited to play the Keil council workers. Drew 3-3. Afterwards back to the town hall for the biggest free scran and booze I'd ever seen. Had a two day hangover after that.

BelgeJambo

Oh yes the social side was brilliant.

My favourite was whilst on the Fife we had 10 days in Keil for Keil Woche. Big sailing regatta.

Got invited to play the Keil council workers. Drew 3-3. Afterwards back to the town hall for the biggest free scran and booze I'd ever seen. Had a two day hangover after that.

Call me a black cat - Had a similar doo in Aberdeen with the Scylla - affiliated city.  Game against some Army Regiment, playing in goal, came out with my leg raised to catch a ball and took the pongo out in his midriff, all hell broke loose. 

Had a reception in the City Hall with the Lord Provost - free scran and booze, in moderation of course.

Lord Provost asked if we had enjoyed our visit to Aberdeen and I highlighted the fact that the tour of the football club was disappointing - No players, No Fergie, no anybody.  Day we sailed, the LP turns up at the ship with a full set of Aberdeen strips for the ship's football team.

Happy Days

PresleyJenks

Currie Youth Club 1987-1992

Glenpark 1993

North Merchiston 18's 1994

Links United 18's 1995

Edinburgh Rose 1996-1999

Musselburgh Juniors 1999 for three months!

Balerno Athletic 1999-2007

Rudolf's Mate

Haha. Think I would've remembered that right enough. I don't think I was there then. I'll bet Brian still had his paint tins in the back too!!

Just remembered another name - Damien the goalie - he and his dad had their own gardening business from Barnton if I remember?

Must'very played along side you at some point by the sounds of it.

Aye the van was still packed with all his paint gear. It was one of those tiny things, might have been called caddy, but it wasn't even half a van and one gust of wind would blow the thing over :lol:

We must have crossed paths that's for sure.

AlimOzturk

Edina Hibs under a guy called Eric McEwan :facepalm:

Edited by AlimOzturk

Morgan

Edina Hibs :facepalm:

I know! :facepalm:

John Findlay

Call me a black cat - Had a similar doo in Aberdeen with the Scylla - affiliated city.  Game against some Army Regiment, playing in goal, came out with my leg raised to catch a ball and took the pongo out in his midriff, all hell broke loose. 

Had a reception in the City Hall with the Lord Provost - free scran and booze, in moderation of course.

Lord Provost asked if we had enjoyed our visit to Aberdeen and I highlighted the fact that the tour of the football club was disappointing - No players, No Fergie, no anybody.  Day we sailed, the LP turns up at the ship with a full set of Aberdeen strips for the ship's football team.

Happy Days

Aberdeen was my last ever run ashore in the Navy. November 89 whilst on the Andromeda. They through a civic reception for us as we would be paying off and Scylla was coming back after a refit. When she came back Aberdeen were throwing a civic reception for her again too. According to the Lady Provost. Aberdeen City had a special entertainment fund that dated back to Robert The Bruce. It was only for entertaining visitors. Receptions were so lavish as the fund had loads of money in it and they couldn't spend it all.

The Tackle

Me too.

My bursd got picked ahead of me :facepalm:

:sob:

Remember I used to score own goals just to piss people off :lol: wee fud.

BelgeJambo

Aberdeen was my last ever run ashore in the Navy. November 89 whilst on the Andromeda. They through a civic reception for us as we would be paying off and Scylla was coming back after a refit. When she came back Aberdeen were throwing a civic reception for her again too. According to the Lady Provost. Aberdeen City had a special entertainment fund that dated back to Robert The Bruce. It was only for entertaining visitors. Receptions were so lavish as the fund had loads of money in it and they couldn't spend it all.

I gave it my all to lighten their funding issue

gashauskis9

Pinkie St Peters primary from 88 to 90.

Musselburgh Grammar from 90 to 93.

Dalkeith Thistle from 88 to 92.

Cider and pizza put an end to it!

Edited by Gashauskis9

Thaw

The 3rd 'B' Boys' Brigade, but I only got a game to bring the average age down (there was a maximum).

Ross-l

Craigmillar primary

Castleview BC

Boys brigade can't remember the company but they operated out of niddrie mill primary

Tynie

Hearts

REME

Linlithgow rose

airdriejambo3

Craigentinny 93-97

Sherwood 94-96ish (Coached by the managerial legend that is Gary Locke)

Broxburn Jambo

I saw all the posts about the number of people that played BB football, I played for the 46th Edinburgh Company in the late 60s, BB football was always a grounding for any boy, no matter what your standard was, the good players went on to boys clubs at that time also played on a Saturday.

On that note does anyone remember playing the BB 5 a sides up at the Pleasance, not a game for the faint hearted!!!

andythejambo

Hands up if you were ever greetin after either being hit in the face by a MouldMaster OR heedered the lace on a a filly when it was soaking wet. sad.gif

You were usually too stunned to be greetin - and you walked about for 2 days with ertiM retsamdluoM stamped across your forehead !!

livi

'BarneyBattles', on 11 Jul 2012 - 9:28 PM, said:snapback.png

You are welcome mate - always happy to give a fellow ex Porty and crossroads boy the chance to reminisce! I wonder when porty started football teams then? I was there 83-86 and while there was always a team, it still smacked of not quite being as acceptable as rugby,

Cuthbertson used to let folk off with detention if they preferred the odd hsped ball and we were grudgingly admired/acknowledged for being a cracking football team.

Your a lot younger than me :verymad: and my first year was the very first that the new school was open in 1963 but I remember Cuthbertson, a sod of a man. Took great delight in pinching the ball off us whenever he could find an excuse to spoil our game during the breaks, along with a few other teachers. I think there was 5 of my year played for Crossroads and some others for Salvesen, Tynecastle and Royston, the top 4 teams in Edinburgh at the time. We'd have had a great school team and did have an absolutely sh*t rugby team with only the guys who couldn't play football interested. Not sure when Porty started playing football, re-started actually, as I remember photos in the library of school teams with plenty of trophies. But Crossroads was a great club to play for, with Bob McAully, the Rangers scout, never far away. You always knew he was watching as you could smell his cigar as soon as he turned up lol

I started reading this thread and realised it started about 4 years ago. 

I must have been around when you played Allyjambo

I started at Duddingston Primary  and played for Edinburgh Schools with Shuggie Shaw.

Then went to Porty High when it 1st opened so no football.  Played for Crossroads and remember the Free Canteen after training.  You went in to the room for the prize and there was John Greig, Sandy Jardine or Alan Anderson sitting there talking to Eric.  Starstuck we were.  Eric Gardiner always called me a "Guiser" as I hated training but loved playing football).  Eric always wore a white teeshirt. He must have had one for every day of the week.  He was a great guy.

I then played for Musselburgh BL, then Links Utd and Inch Rob Roy.  Played with some great players in these days.

Probably stopped playing too early but hated training.  Regreted it too late.

We must have crossed paths in the past and great to remember good times.

Edited by livi

andythejambo

Gracemount Primary 1966-1968 (Inspector's Cup and School Board Cup Double - Also Craigour League Winners) - coached by the late Mr Chisholm

Pleasance Boys Club 1968-1973

Royal High (1970 - 1974) co-founder of the Football team - raised the money for the first set of goals and lined the crappiest pitch available handed to us by Pro-Rugby PE teachers.

Royal Bank - Edinburgh Amateurs (1974 - 1986)

Dundee Star (Dundee Arms) 1978-1981

Laird & Dog 1981 - 1984

Gracemount Villa 1984 - 1985

Links Hearts 1985 - 1990

IMS (London Midweek) 1988 - 1996

Rainbow Hearts SC 1989 - 2004

Carrick1874

Dalry Primary

North Merchieston

Medwin Star

Gorgie Hearts

The back garden with my two boys

alicante jambo

Played in the same school team as Gordon Rae (Lasswade) Played for United Crossroads (now defunct I believe but a great club which produced a lot of very good players back then) at the same time. He went to Bonnyrigg Rose, bulked himself up and did all the right things after school. I went to Arniston Rangers and got clobbered off the park for a year before giving it up.

arniston my local junior team when i stayed in scotland.What year did you play for them?I was asked to go trial with them but ended fighting and breaking my hand 2 days before needless to say geaorge bowmaker manager at the time wasnt interested after that.

2205ian

I played in goals for our Primary School Campie vs Wallyford c 1970.

My boyhood hero being Cruikie I saved a penalty that meant

we only lost 16-0 rather than 17!

I left Campie in 1969 & remember plenty of heavy defeats by Wallyford & Pinkie in my time.

I still remember beating Wallyford "B" team 7 - 2 which probably was our best ever result......however it was likely P7 vs P5  in our favour! Having said that we were usually good for a win vs Whitecraig.

It's always good to say I played in Maroon & White at primary.......stopped playing at Secondary level.....two fold, "not good enough & followed The Famous home & away"

Watching The Jambos was more important than playing on a Saturday as a 12 year old despite our lack of trophies, that's why 1998 Scottish Cup win will always be a "special" day

BarneyBattles

'BarneyBattles', on 11 Jul 2012 - 9:28 PM, said:snapback.png

I started reading this thread and realised it started about 4 years ago.

I must have been around when you played Allyjambo

I started at Duddingston Primary and played for Edinburgh Schools with Shuggie Shaw.

Then went to Porty High when it 1st opened so no football. Played for Crossroads and remember the Free Canteen after training. You went in to the room for the prize and there was John Greig, Sandy Jardine or Alan Anderson sitting there talking to Eric. Starstuck we were. Eric Gardiner always called me a "Guiser" as I hated training but loved playing football). Eric always wore a white teeshirt. He must have had one for every day of the week. He was a great guy.

I then played for Musselburgh BL, then Links Utd and Inch Rob Roy. Played with some great players in these days.

Probably stopped playing too early but hated training. Regreted it too late.

We must have crossed paths in the past and great to remember good times.

I also played for united crossroads. Eric was a great man. Alan Anderson was still turning up and playing with the kids in the mid 80s when I was there.

Player of the year dos in the Berry Suite abbeyhill. Them were the days.

jambo1963

Hunters tryst (early seventies) Firhill Edina Hibs(with maroon t shirt underneath strip)

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Tapatalk

Edited by jambo1963

carnockjambo

Pilton Sporting Club mid seventies until 1981. Craigmuir until 1977. Ainslie Park 1977 to 1981. Telford College 1982 until 1986

carnockjambo

Craigmuir primary 74-76

Ansliepark high 77 to 79

Pilton Sporting Club

Tynecastle boys club

Fort boys club

played against Gary Mckay, Dave Bowman ,John Roberton, jimmy Sanderson, Yogi hughes, David Rennie, mickey weir

carnockjambo

I must have played alongside you at sometime. What's your name ?

Edited by carnockjambo

carnockjambo

Craigmuir primary 74-76

Ansliepark high 77 to 79

Pilton Sporting Club

Tynecastle boys club

Fort boys club

played against Gary Mckay, Dave Bowman ,John Roberton, jimmy Sanderson, Yogi hughes, David Rennie, mickey weir

. I must have played alongside u at some point ?

carnockjambo

Craigmuir primary 74-76

Ansliepark high 77 to 79

Pilton Sporting Club

Tynecastle boys club

Fort boys club

. I must have played alongside u at some point ?

Skacel'sLeftFoot

Almondbank Primary, Livingston up to 1984

Craigshill High, Livingston up to 1989. We won the school league in 1989 (http://www.lsfa.co.uk/LeagueHistory/index/251) and I got PPOTY. Vewy pwoud.

Played for West Lothian Schools in a two leg game against East Kilbride. Played with Paul Dickov who was up front and I was on the left wing. He was much better than me. Clearly. Good times.

Edited by Skacel'sLeftFoot

Skacel'sLeftFoot

Southside Police (A divison) 1956-1964/5 ish

You still playing . F Troop 1995-2000 then the fun left the job. It's never returned.

wavydavy

Murrayburn Primary (Inspectors cup winning side too long ago to remember the date)

Whitson Star

Longstone Hearts

Played rugby and continued with that at the expense of the football.

hectornicol

Goalkeeper

Schools

Preston Street 75-77

Boroughmuir 77-78 ( I was that bad at rugby)

Portobello High 78-82 ( we had a wee fat striker that wasn't too bad called Robertson don't know what happened to him)

Clubs (too many to mention) but main ones

Tynecastle BC

Northfield BC

North Merchiston

Cavalry Park

Leith Victoria

Merchiston Roseberry

Port of Leith

Linden

Edited by hectornicol

Jambo314

Just come across this thread as wasn't a member of the forum when it started.

Played Sat/Sun for a lot of clubs.

All dates and names may not be correct due to it being many years ago, now aged 60 😁

Silverknowes Primary 60's

Craigroyston High School 70's ... ( Gordon Strachan played in the team 2 years above I think? )

Pilton Sporting Club ... early/mid 70's

Edina Hibs ... early/mid 70's

Edinburgh Thistle ... mid 70's

Melbourne Thistle ... mid/late 70's

St Bernard's ... late 70's

Parkvale ... early/mid 80's 

Groathill Thistle mid 80's

The Gunners ( pub ) mid 80's

Powderhall Arms ( pub ) mid/late 80's

46 BB'S .... last game I played broken ankle playing against Muirhouse Violet 

Golf was my next hobby😆