BarneyBattles

What boys / school team did you play for and when?

tommylorry

Stevie Mac.....Salvesen Boys club. 1982, Now there's a player !

Budgie.

BOTH? :woot:

Too young for the laced ball! ;)

Teuchterjambo

Thank you mate, appreciate the sentiments. I'm in Staggs with John, Willie and the rest occasionally for a pint. If you see me pop over and say hello.

Remember Tam well from my time in Musselburgh many years ago - played a bit of youth football with him and met him a few years ago at the Eskmills Bowling Club - hadn't seen him for years but we had a good natter about old times and the Hearts.

Sorry to hear he is no longer with us - a really decent guy.

Ah Staggs now that brings back the memories although I was more of an Auld Hoose man myself but frequented Staggs occasionally and that is where I had my first ever pint.

Flankengott

Tam McGinn mate. Think he stopped about '84.

He must have stopped just before I started with Musselburgh. With other people's comments sorry I missed him.

Floyd

Hands up if you were ever greetin after either being hit in the face by a MouldMaster OR heedered the lace on a a filly when it was soaking wet. :(

Lost a tooth getting hit square in the face with a mould master, knocked me clean out...............

After I fell backwards and hit my head off the post after it hit me.

:sob:

bobskeldon

Lost a tooth getting hit square in the face with a mould master, knocked me clean out...............

After I fell backwards and hit my head off the post after it hit me.

:sob:

Aye but were you greetin?

Edited by bobskeldon

heartgarfunkel

Im a bit of a dinosaur so i hope this works.

55457125362331475072077.jpg

59895725362419808396568.jpg

Brilliant! I ken loads of those Porty boys!

j1964m

Craigmuir primary 74-76

Ansliepark high 77 to 79

Pilton Sporting Club

Tynecastle boys club

Fort boys club

played against Gary Mckay, Dave Bowman ,John Roberton, jimmy Sanderson, Yogi hughes, David Rennie, mickey weir

rodger whittaker

Cheers mate, nice to know how well thought of he was. He would've absolutely loved May 19th!!

Remember Tam well from my time in Musselburgh many years ago - played a bit of youth football with him and met him a few years ago at the Eskmills Bowling Club - hadn't seen him for years but we had a good natter about old times and the Hearts.

Sorry to hear he is no longer with us - a really decent guy.

Ah Staggs now that brings back the memories although I was more of an Auld Hoose man myself but frequented Staggs occasionally and that is where I had my first ever pint.

Drewjambobusby

just give me the ball ya penisya *****

Yes of course your Ball Hogging skills are what stopped you becoming a "Great" However, your pishing in the showers, and over your team mates also made a difference !!!!!!

Drewjambobusby

just give me the ball ya penisya *****

Yes of course your Ball Hogging skills are what stopped you becoming a "Great" However, your pishing in the showers, and over your team mates also made a difference !!!!!!

stevie ed

Brunstane primary around 1971 with Gogo reilly, Laurie tulloch etc. On to porty high, fall out with Mr Cuthbertson who says you play rugby or nothing.

Never played again until early eighties with Portfield . Lasted about ten years until the club broke up.

Couple of good years @Bank Villa and played Sunday with Newcraighall.

Only played with Newcraighall for next 5 or so years until they broke up.

Persuaded out of retirement @ ripe old age of 35 by Leith Vics, played until 41,then finally hanging up the boots.

Still play fives with some of the old Vics.

swavkav

not so much about boys clubs, but I will be making my debut for Ryman League outfit Aveley FC on the 7th of next month. bricking it i is.

DG_HMFC

Spooky mate, what year were you at Craiglockhart?

Played with them at primary and then with Tynie also, followed by spells at Merchie boys, Tynecastle Boys, Hutchi Vale ( booo ) - I was a bit of a mercenary!!

Don't know why it's taken me 4 years to reply to this   :lol:  anyway... I started Craiglockhart about '88

Edit: I played in the same team as our ex-coach and new 'Beath manager Liam Fox.

Edited by DG_HMFC

j.jonah.jamieboy

Drumbrae primary, played in goals for a truly awful team, regular m.o.t.m awards despite 10-0 humpings

Craigmount h.s 91-95 great team back then

boys clubs 

Salvy for about 2 games 

Broomhall saints haha

Tall oaks  92-95ish

then started looking old enough to get in the Swiss and the football took a back seat.

Anyone else ever attend the Ian St John soccer camp at riccarton? happy days for 2 glorious weeks every summer.

pcw1874

St Catherine's Primary School (Edinburgh) 1978 - 1981

Holyrood High School (Edinburgh) 1982 - 1986

Tynecastle Boys Club 1980 - 1985

North Merchiston Boys Club 1986

Ayr United Boys Club 1986 - 1988

Shug73

Sherwood Boys Club 84-86 (U12 & U13's). Stopped playing after the coach dropped me in favour of a big fat lad as I had refused to play one weekened when my Grandad died. One of the worst decisions of my young life. Took up playing computer games instead  :rolleyes5: Had the pleasure of receiving my player of the year award for the U12's from Robbo and Gary Mackay.

Captain at Lasswade Primary 84-85. Gary Locke was in the team. He was only in Primary 5 playing against lads in P6 & 7. Unfortunately Lasswade High didn't have a team when I was there due to ongoing PE staff industrial action I think.

Edited by Shug73

jb102

You are indeed Correct it was Mr Chung who took the school team, Craiglockhart Primary also I am bound to ken you mate.

Went to both School's around the same time

I was at Craiglockhart on and off from 73 to 80 and remember a p7 teacher taking the football.I think his name was Mr Barry.

My memory of the team we had then is we were pish and I didn't stand out at RB.

It should have been ten

Gracemount High and Tynecastle FC. My son plays for both of them now too.

Edited by It should have been ten

The White Cockade

Gracemount Primary School

Gracemount Rovers

Mcalford

Inch Boys Club - up to 1994

Salvesen Boys Club - 1994-95

Fernieside Boys Club 1995-98

Went to Tynie but only played a couple time, my school team reached the final and 1 man alone got us to that final, now the Cowdenbeath manager.

Morgan

Few games for Edina Hibs (sorry), a team called Jims boys club and a 'guest appearance' for Tynie Boys Club when they went down to Manchester to take in a Man.U v Liverpool game.

CollyWolly

Played in the same school team as Gordon Rae (Lasswade) Played for United Crossroads (now defunct I believe but a great club which produced a lot of very good players back then) at the same time. He went to Bonnyrigg Rose, bulked himself up and did all the right things after school. I went to Arniston Rangers and got clobbered off the park for a year before giving it up.

John Findlay

Craigmuir primary 74-76

Ansliepark high 77 to 79

Pilton Sporting Club

Tynecastle boys club

Fort boys club

played against Gary Mckay, Dave Bowman ,John Roberton, jimmy Sanderson, Yogi hughes, David Rennie, mickey weir

Craigmuir primary 74-76

Ansliepark high 77 to 79

Pilton Sporting Club

Tynecastle boys club

Fort boys club

Pirniehall primary 1973-1974.

St Catherine's primary 1974-1975.

St Thomas's secondary 1975-1979.

Fettison Laurieston boys club 1973.

St Bernard's boys club 1975, 1976, 1977 and 1979.

Royston boys club 1978.

I think that's right.

tian447

I don't want to brag, but I play 5 a side twice a week at SoccerWorld in Dundee.

Semi-professional and all that :lol:

tian447

Few games for Edina Hibs (sorry), a team called Jims boys club and a 'guest appearance' for Tynie Boys Club when they went down to Manchester to take in a Man.U v Liverpool game.

That sounds sketchy as **** :rofl:

jimmy-savile-photographed-in-2007.jpg

hurdie

Comiston Primary circa 76/77

Thats it.

I was pish.  :thumbsdown:

Hearts Heritage

I played in goals for our Primary School Campie vs Wallyford c 1970.

My boyhood hero being Cruikie I saved a penalty that meant

we only lost 16-0 rather than 17!

Morgan

That sounds sketchy as **** :rofl:

jimmy-savile-photographed-in-2007.jpg

I know!

:gok:

moonraker

Bit of a memory test at my advanced age.

Never played for 1st Team at Port High School as we had a team that won everything except Scottish Cup (Injury ridden team lost to Holyrood in final)

Portobello United (became Thistle later)

Queens Park BC. (Managed 1 game for Edinburgh Under 18 select keeping Eamonn Bannon on bench)

Cavalry Park Under 21

In Edinburgh area played Amateur for Gimerton Leith Vics and Knightsridge Thistle

On Saturdays Port Villa in Maybury Sunday league and CSA in Health Board league.Left Edinburgh in 89 at age of 30. Who knew I would finally retire at age of 55 After playing for West Swindon, Raychem, Village Inn and AFC Greendown. Art a range of different levels from Wilts League div 1 to Swindon Sunday League div 7

Edited by moonraker

moonraker

Brunstane primary around 1971 with Gogo reilly, Laurie tulloch etc. On to porty high, fall out with Mr Cuthbertson who says you play rugby or nothing.

Never played again until early eighties with Portfield . Lasted about ten years until the club broke up.

Persuaded out of retirement @ ripe old age of 35 by Leith Vics, played until 41,then finally hanging up the boots.

Who is still playing out of the auld Vics Guys? Andy Gibson? Andy Young, Gordo Fruish? I was at Brunstane as well. Knew a lot of the Portfield guys Billy Kilgour in particular. Played wi Laurie Tulloch and his brother Malkie at Port Villa Edited by moonraker

moonraker

Let's not mention how that game turned out, but I think you managed 2 games for PVC.

Even I managed one game for them

moonraker

Never realised how old this thread was. Thought it seemed familiar, probably contributed the same stuff 2-3 years ago. Hope I was consistent.

Oneneilberry

Never realised how old this thread was. Thought it seemed familiar, probably contributed the same stuff 2-3 years ago. Hope I was consistent.

Me neither ,I read the teams on a post and thought I must know this guy before realising it was me

Hector Riva

Oxgangs (the old primary) and Corstorphine 

meister

I was a one club man, goalie for Inverkeithing Boys Club for about 4 years in the mid-90's

Managed one game for Inverkeithing High School against Madras college as well.

tian447

Me neither ,I read the teams on a post and thought I must know this guy before realising it was me

:groundhog:

Brilliant :lol:

DG_HMFC

Inch Boys Club - up to 1994

Salvesen Boys Club - 1994-95

Fernieside Boys Club 1995-98

Went to Tynie but only played a couple time, my school team reached the final and 1 man alone got us to that final, now the Cowdenbeath manager.

I would've played in the same team as you at Tynie.

There was a few decent players in that Tynecastle team.

BelgeJambo

Not Many Borders on this thread - no distinguished career for me

Eyemouth Colts - Walls Cup winners in early 80s - scored a goal in a 4-3 win against Hawick Waverly

Ayton Amateurs - Scored 5 in one game and my brother scored 3 in a 10-2 win against Innerleithen

Played half a season for High Valleyfield when based at Rosyth Naval Base

Played for HMS Scylla, HMS Edinburgh, HMS Anglesey and Managed HMS Birmingham 1st XI

John Findlay

Not Many Borders on this thread - no distinguished career for me

Eyemouth Colts - Walls Cup winners in early 80s - scored a goal in a 4-3 win against Hawick Waverly

Ayton Amateurs - Scored 5 in one game and my brother scored 3 in a 10-2 win against Innerleithen

Played half a season for High Valleyfield when based at Rosyth Naval Base

Played for HMS Scylla, HMS Edinburgh, HMS Anglesey and Managed HMS Birmingham 1st XI

Well if we are going to include Navy teams.

Ships first XI Intrepid, Fife, Andromeda and Brazen. Shore establishments. HMS Mercury in 1983. Played against Alan Ball's Portsmouth in a pre- season game and had Mark Hateley score twice against us when beating us 2-3. Mercury again in 1986.

tian447

Ships first XI Intrepid, Fife, Andromeda and Brazen. Shore establishments. HMS Mercury in 1983. Played against Alan Ball's Portsmouth in a pre- season game and had Mark Hateley score twice against us when beating us 2-3. Mercury again in 1986.

I've got images in my head of a game on an Aircraft carrier being interrupted as planes land in the middle of it :lol:

BelgeJambo

Communicator?

Eno

Boroughmuir

St Bernard's 86-90

Guernsey Rovers

Guernsey Rangers

Cruciate injury = fat bassa & game over http://www.hmfckickback.co.uk/public/style_emoticons/#EMO_DIR#/sob.png

Memory not that great but, I played for St. Bernard's u18's around 89-90 under Brian Davis/Foster and beasted at training by Kaiser!

Done well in the Scottish that year too if I remember. Guys like Woody(keeper), Broughie,Wayne,Lawrence,nizzy(strikers),Craig Ferrier,Stuart Mckenzie then on to u21's with likes of Ian Gourley, Johnny Milne, Colin, Stuart Hay? All played with Centre Court on a Sunday too!2 x John's (CH & keeper) then Stu introduced us to the Wine Glass at the south side and the rest is history as they say......

John Findlay

Communicator?

I was mate. Ex Communications Yeoman.

Joined up 4th September 1979. Left April 16th 1990.

Mercury long gone now. Along with Dryad. Everything seaman comms and weapon wise all done at Collingwood now. Totally different Navy now.

Rudolf's Mate

Memory not that great but, I played for St. Bernard's u18's around 89-90 under Brian Davis/Foster and beasted at training by Kaiser!

Done well in the Scottish that year too if I remember. Guys like Woody(keeper), Broughie,Wayne,Lawrence,nizzy(strikers),Craig Ferrier,Stuart Mckenzie then on to u21's with likes of Ian Gourley, Johnny Milne, Colin, Stuart Hay? All played with Centre Court on a Sunday too!2 x John's (CH & keeper) then Stu introduced us to the Wine Glass at the south side and the rest is history as they say......

Aye my memories a bit hazy though a lot of those guys were in the same team though think it was U16's. I came back for a while at the next age group up but not for long.

Brian took me and Craig into a local Stockbridge hotel for our first pints. The guy behind the bar asked our age and we said 15 to which they all burst out laughing. He knew the guy well but had expected us to be clever enough to say older.

I can't remember his name but it might have been the same keeper you've mentioned. If it was he ended up at Newtongrange Star.

Did you ever play in the Milk Cup with St Bernard's?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Buffalo Bill

Played in goals for Stenhouse Primary School in 83/84 & 85/85. Played only one season for Tynecastle High (87/88) due to school strikes.

Played one season for BMC (82/83) then Hutchison Vale from 1983  -1987. Lost my place to Alan Combe :what:

Edited by Buffalo Bill

Eno

Aye my memories a bit hazy though a lot of those guys were in the same team though think it was U16's. I came back for a while at the next age group up but not for long.

Brian took me and Craig into a local Stockbridge hotel for our first pints. The guy behind the bar asked our age and we said 15 to which they all burst out laughing. He knew the guy well but had expected us to be clever enough to say older.

I can't remember his name but it might have been the same keeper you've mentioned. If it was he ended up at Newtongrange Star.

Did you ever play in the Milk Cup with St Bernard's?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Could've played in the egg cup....lol, I wouldn't remember my memory's shocking!

Can't remember John's 2nd name but he was a big gentle giant with really short blonde hair. Sure he stayed down at Pilton or Telford area. Forgot about Neil Brien too(sorry Neily).

Not seen Brian snr or Jnr in years, bet he's still got his ponytail too :D

Do you remember Wayne? Black guy, off his head, think he was from Muirhouse, big Jambo too?

Was a few of us from Oxgangs/Colinton Mains in the teams back then.

Fxxx the SPFL

Roseburn primary 67/68 we were gash the only team we ever beat was Donaldson's deaf and dumb school the referee had a whistle and a white hankie which he waved in the air when making a decision. Can't remember who if anybody coached us could have been the janny but I was the smallest player guess what position I played yes you've guessed correctly Goalkeeper. I must have not been too bad ended up with the nickname Lev after a certain Mr Yashin for you oldies out there.

BelgeJambo

I was mate. Ex Communications Yeoman.

Joined up 4th September 1979. Left April 16th 1990.

Mercury long gone now. Along with Dryad. Everything seaman comms and weapon wise all done at Collingwood now. Totally different Navy now.

Indeed only the big 3 in Pompey now Nelson Sultan and Collingwood. Left in 2005 after 23 years not the same Navy but good piss ups with ships football teams around the globe

Rudolf's Mate

Could've played in the egg cup....lol, I wouldn't remember my memory's shocking!

Can't remember John's 2nd name but he was a big gentle giant with really short blonde hair. Sure he stayed down at Pilton or Telford area. Forgot about Neil Brien too(sorry Neily).

Not seen Brian snr or Jnr in years, bet he's still got his ponytail too :D

Do you remember Wayne? Black guy, off his head, think he was from Muirhouse, big Jambo too?

Was a few of us from Oxgangs/Colinton Mains in the teams back then.

Shortly after U16's I discovered clubbing so most things are a blur tbh. I said Milk Cup but I might be getting it (name) mixed up. It was held in Paisley I think but if you were there I'm fairly sure you'd remember it :lol: Brian took the whole team there in his tiny white van and we got pulled over. He had to take half the team and come back for the rest :)

Aye there were quite a few lads from those areas. Forgot about Brian's pony!

Edited by Rudolf's Mate