BarneyBattles

What boys / school team did you play for and when?

Flankengott

Now why do I get this feeling I know you?.....sorry I missed out my one guest appearance for PVC Beethoven.

Let's not mention how that game turned out, but I think you managed 2 games for PVC.

moonraker

Let's not mention how that game turned out, but I think you managed 2 games for PVC.

Fairly sure it was just one. We started of like a rocket then bombed. Just noticed the stuff about looks and talent...maybe wrong on both counts.geek.gif

Edited by moonraker

humph1874

My career as a 'keeper

Glendale United U12 - U16

Bathgate Academy

Trained with Hearts and Dundee (inc a couple of reserve games at Dens)

Couple of Games with Armadale Thistle Juniors in a tournament in Germany (Glendale went with the Juniors)

Whitburn Bluebell U21 - alongside Stevie Dickov Paul's brother, Costakis Costa (went on to play internatiomnal for Cyprus)

Trials for Scotland Amateurs U21

Amateur football for RTZ in West Lothian Sunday Leagues

Fleeting seasons return for Oscars, Livingston

Now back playing at 40 in 5's / 7's after a 12 year break and couple of knee op's and would love a full 11 a side game again

Mad Dog Frazer

Can't mind the years I played but I'm 35 now

Played for broughton boys club u10's to u16's

Cramond boys club

Salvesen boys club

Tynecastle boys club

St Bernard's u21's

Newcraighall vics

Dayman

Salveson...what age are you? You probably played with my brother.

i'm nearly 20! whos your brother?!

Budgie.

Jake Twist Stomp :thumbsup:

Guest C00l K1d

Can't believe no one played for Dunedin. It seems everybody my age played for them at some point :lol:

poggs

I never got on with that bearded tit mcgrail so never even attempted to try out for the school team. I played for all the teams you have although i was in Felly, Moog & Willies year so probably a year above yourself. Banksie was the year below us. There was a few really good players in his age group. Gunny, Daz Laidlaw, Stuart Douglas, David Knox were a few i remember. I started off at Porty Thisle, then went to Edina (hearts top under the strip) Felly and i left to go to Hutchie. He did well there. I wasnt as good and never got a game. I got my papers back and was persuaded by big slim (jambo) to go to Northfield. Played 2 seasons then chucked it. My best games were for the 25TH BB's. Going one season unbeaten only conceeding something like 5 goals and winning the cup at City Park in a penalty shoot out. Happy memories.

Age has fuddled the brain You are right about banksie. He was in my year but played for a year below due to his birthday being in September or something. I was confused again....

I do remember that lot. School team was really good then. Remember losing the Scottish cup semi on a blaze pitch in Weegieland somewhere. We did not know it was to be played on that tip until we turned up. Cheating weegie bassas never change!

I also was in that 25th team that would have been the third division year 1992-1993 I think, unless you are talking about the reds or yellows in junior section!. I was one of the few younger laddies in that team. In saying that, we won the league every year in the 25th until the boys clubs games clashed and I had to stop playing for them.

BarneyBattles

Age has fuddled the brain You are right about banksie. He was in my year but played for a year below due to his birthday being in September or something. I was confused again....

I do remember that lot. School team was really good then. Remember losing the Scottish cup semi on a blaze pitch in Weegieland somewhere. We did not know it was to be played on that tip until we turned up. Cheating weegie bassas never change!

I also was in that 25th team that would have been the third division year 1992-1993 I think, unless you are talking about the reds or yellows in junior section!. I was one of the few younger laddies in that team. In saying that, we won the league every year in the 25th until the boys clubs games clashed and I had to stop playing for them.

Nah, Banksy was in my year and played for that year too. Moog and Willie Miller were the year above but played in our team due to their ages.

So were you in my year or the year above? I left in 4th year in the summer of 86.

GRL1969

Nah, Banksy was in my year and played for that year too. Moog and Willie Miller were the year above but played in our team due to their ages.

So were you in my year or the year above? I left in 4th year in the summer of 86.

Thats right enough, i had a look at the picture i spoke about and i think they 2 and Chris Sommerville were the only older ones in that team.

GRL1969

Dont you mean 82/83 ? Were you in the cup winning team that Felly played in? If so i was in goals. Incase you dont know they are talking about some sort of reunion. Look the 25 th BB or Davie Barrett up on facebook, if you fancy it.

Walter Bishop

Small world! :)

I played with Boghall Aces around the same time but was in the older team with Richard's big brother. Played centre half with them for about three years. Was best mates with Richard's brother for a long time and we used to drive into Heriot-Watt together.

Richard was a bit up himself but wouldn't say he was a prick and these days he definitely has his head screwed on.

I played centre half for Bathgate Academy as well for a couple of years. Don't disagree with your assessment of Kiegan. :)

Richard`s big brother Adam (i think?) or Mikey? Mikey Brittain played in the same boys club as me from under 12`s to u16s.

Walter Bishop

My career as a 'keeper

Glendale United U12 - U16

Bathgate Academy

Trained with Hearts and Dundee (inc a couple of reserve games at Dens)

Couple of Games with Armadale Thistle Juniors in a tournament in Germany (Glendale went with the Juniors)

Whitburn Bluebell U21 - alongside Stevie Dickov Paul's brother, Costakis Costa (went on to play internatiomnal for Cyprus)

Trials for Scotland Amateurs U21

Amateur football for RTZ in West Lothian Sunday Leagues

Fleeting seasons return for Oscars, Livingston

Now back playing at 40 in 5's / 7's after a 12 year break and couple of knee op's and would love a full 11 a side game again

Lol Stevie`s wee bro Allan is one of my best mates, i know Stevie well also. Stacky was some player but i know his wee bro a wee bit better (Stavvy) When did you play for Oscars?

Budgie.

Richard`s big brother Adam (i think?) or Mikey? Mikey Brittain played in the same boys club as me from under 12`s to u16s.

Adam. We were in the same class at Bathgate Academy and then went to uni together.

Michael was a cracking player as well but not sure he had the same application as Richard.

Did Paul ever coach your team? I remember him taking Boghall for a while and had us running and running and running :(

poggs

Dont you mean 82/83 ? Were you in the cup winning team that Felly played in? If so i was in goals. Incase you dont know they are talking about some sort of reunion. Look the 25 th BB or Davie Barrett up on facebook, if you fancy it.

Of all the things I've lost this year, I miss my mind the most. Of course it was 82-83. But might have been 81-82. Can't remember. Don't remember felly in the bbs team though . I played with him at towerbank. He was p7 and I p6. Max Christie in that team as well.

I will check out Facebook. Thanks for the tip.

humph1874

Lol Stevie`s wee bro Allan is one of my best mates, i know Stevie well also. Stacky was some player but i know his wee bro a wee bit better (Stavvy) When did you play for Oscars?

Would have been in my mid twenties, so roughly 14/15 years ago pretty sure I was working on the door at the same time. When J and Garry (who I shared a flat with for a bit)ran the pub.

Stavvy and Stacky both stayed in Bathgate in the same flats as one of the girls in the office - their mum stays there now and sure they're down in Tesco town according to the girl in the office

Small world and all that

moonraker

Davy Barrett...............now I am nostalgic.

savage

School: Sighthill Primary (sometime between 1979-1985)

Wester Hailes Secondary (team lasted one season and was stopped because of trouble :rolleyes: , 1987)

Salvesen Boys Club 1986

Royston Roseberry 1986 (anyone remember them?)

North Merchiston Boys club , 1 season under 18`s and 4 at Under 21`s between 1991 and 1996. Various Cup final appearances , winning a couple and finshed 2nd EVERY season in the league.....Easthouses always edged it! :angry:

Peebles Rovers... EOS League 1996,97

Glenpark Amateurs ...1997, 98. League and cup double winners in the 1997 season.

you must have played in the same team as me. at 18's you will have played under mark paterson and then moved up to the 21's where you are correct. i lost to easthouses 3-2 more times than i care to remember. think our only victory was against hutchie vale 3-0 at rosewell in the murphy cup as hutchie had put them out. i was in goals as scott millar had got injured and i ended up in for the season

Walter Bishop

Adam. We were in the same class at Bathgate Academy and then went to uni together.

Michael was a cracking player as well but not sure he had the same application as Richard.

Did Paul ever coach your team? I remember him taking Boghall for a while and had us running and running and running :(

Lol yes Paul helped my Dad with our team, we got ran into the bloody ground most weeks on the black ash park at Deans High. Michael played as a winger in our side, we had a decent team but split up at under16's. There was a few boys from Bathgate played for us, you'll maybe know Haggis? another Jambo!!

Walter Bishop

Would have been in my mid twenties, so roughly 14/15 years ago pretty sure I was working on the door at the same time. When J and Garry (who I shared a flat with for a bit)ran the pub.

Stavvy and Stacky both stayed in Bathgate in the same flats as one of the girls in the office - their mum stays there now and sure they're down in Tesco town according to the girl in the office

Small world and all that

Yeah sure is a small world, i know J very well and know Gary aswell. I used to drink in Oscars though a wee bit younger than you. You'd have played in the same Oscars team as alot of guys i know. Probably know yourself aswell!! lol

AllyjamboDerbyshire

Saw Stan a few weeks back up at Riccarton. Had a stick. Think it's the old arthritis. He was in good fettle though. Still getting out and about watching players and still going to Tynie..

Thanks for the update, buzzbomb. I seem to remember he had arthritis even back in the sixties so it must be pretty bad by now.

Budgie.

Lol yes Paul helped my Dad with our team, we got ran into the bloody ground most weeks on the black ash park at Deans High. Michael played as a winger in our side, we had a decent team but split up at under16's. There was a few boys from Bathgate played for us, you'll maybe know Haggis? another Jambo!!

Haha! Yeah, I remember Haggis.

There was a guy who used to post under the name haggis on here a few years back, always wondered if it was him.

Shapes

Initials SM? I think you might have been at his 18th actually..

Edited by Shake Twist Stomp!

Floyd

Your brothers name is Sado masochism?? :blink:

Dayman

Yes, i think i was! If it's the guy i'm thinking of anyways...

chester copperpot

I would have played against you when you played for Edina and I also had a stint with Dunfermline.

Who was it you played for chief, Edina won the Scottish cup at U-15's against Salveson. We beat them 2-0 in the final but I was raging because I was made a sub for the game.

SUTOL

Bruntsfield Primary 1977-1979, managed by Mr Davies and Stan the man

Bruntsfield Primary: I played midfield for about 2 games. Went to Hutchi Vale for an open trial evening.

Was picked to come back for a match the next week, but was going away on holiday, so that was that.

Then played in goals for Bruntsfield. But I damaged tendons in my wrist one night at training,

and then broke my leg, so that was the end of my primary career.

Went to Gillepsies High School and never bothered with playing much football, was still recovering from broken leg at start of first year,

so never got involved in the team.

:unsure:

kevinref

not much of a footballer so took up refereeing, but did play beside alan carswell with lochend thistle 1980/81

have probably reffed most of you guys on here and also many guys that made the grade, too many to mention

Diadora Van Basten

Who was it you played for chief, Edina won the Scottish cup at U-15's against Salveson. We beat them 2-0 in the final but I was raging because I was made a sub for the game.

I played for Salveson u13s, Deerpark at Dunbar 14s and 15s and Musselburgh Windsor 16.

moonraker

moonraker

post-1091-0-90152800-1342557250_thumb.jpg

Not too great at adding attachments. Portobello United under 13's 1970's

GRL1969

Im a bit of a dinosaur so i hope this works.

55457125362331475072077.jpg

59895725362419808396568.jpg

Magic Numbers

I started playing for my primary school - East Wemyss Primary in Fife.

Star striker, also scored my fastest ever goal there! Straight from kick-off, dazzling run & 1-on-1 with the keeper slots it home, yass!

Funny how you remember the daft things like that.

Made the Buckhaven High School team between 88 & 92, won the Fife Cup twice & made the Quarter Finals of the Scottish Schools Cup where we were destroyed 4-2 AET by Dumfries Academy. They had a monster of a striker, amazing ability, went on to play pro I think but can't remember his name, scored all 4 against us.

Must have played about 50 games, mostly at full-back, despite normally playing as striker in kick-arounds & amateur games.

Best players played with - a few guys in our team were picked up by Raith Rovers & one by East Fife but none of them made the grade. I played against a few pros - Pressley being the most well known - gave me a nasty scar on my knee too, still have it. Also played against the Dairs - Lee Dair & Jason Dair who played for a few Fife teams, can't remember who else, but that Dumfries guy was a nightmare to play against!

Left school & played mostly 5/7 asides & a few works 11-aside games, always up-front - ( fecking goal machine - the fat striker! ) for about 20 years now, still would but currently have a busted knee which is driving me nuts, want to get back to kicking the ball ASAP !

Nice memories flooding back though

gooders

Bruntsfield Primary: I played midfield for about 2 games. Went to Hutchi Vale for an open trial evening.

Was picked to come back for a match the next week, but was going away on holiday, so that was that.

Then played in goals for Bruntsfield. But I damaged tendons in my wrist one night at training,

and then broke my leg, so that was the end of my primary career.

Went to Gillepsies High School and never bothered with playing much football, was still recovering from broken leg at start of first year,

so never got involved in the team.

:unsure:

SUTOL what years are you talking about? I am way back at the end of the 70's, good years though.

SUTOL

SUTOL what years are you talking about? I am way back at the end of the 70's, good years though.

Me too, I often think back to the days of Stan the Man doing training, which seemed to involve a lot of running up the stairs, through the upstairs hall, down stairs, through the downstairs hall and back up again for half an hour.

Oh and you're not allowed a drink of water!

:sweat:

J Cheever Loophole

I started playing for my primary school - East Wemyss Primary in Fife.

Star striker, also scored my fastest ever goal there! Straight from kick-off, dazzling run & 1-on-1 with the keeper slots it home, yass!

Funny how you remember the daft things like that.

Made the Buckhaven High School team between 88 & 92, won the Fife Cup twice & made the Quarter Finals of the Scottish Schools Cup where we were destroyed 4-2 AET by Dumfries Academy. They had a monster of a striker, amazing ability, went on to play pro I think but can't remember his name, scored all 4 against us.

Must have played about 50 games, mostly at full-back, despite normally playing as striker in kick-arounds & amateur games.

Best players played with - a few guys in our team were picked up by Raith Rovers & one by East Fife but none of them made the grade. I played against a few pros - Pressley being the most well known - gave me a nasty scar on my knee too, still have it. Also played against the Dairs - Lee Dair & Jason Dair who played for a few Fife teams, can't remember who else, but that Dumfries guy was a nightmare to play against!

Left school & played mostly 5/7 asides & a few works 11-aside games, always up-front - ( fecking goal machine - the fat striker! ) for about 20 years now, still would but currently have a busted knee which is driving me nuts, want to get back to kicking the ball ASAP !

Nice memories flooding back though

My wee bro pumped Jason Dair's burd,GET IN!

Edited by jambodee

rodger whittaker

What year were you in Paris mate? My late old man went in '79 and '83. Still got the pennants somewhere.

Started my footballing career, no sorry, started my footballing life kicking a ball about in the street with the other kids in the street. Cars were a rarity so it was OK to run about daft chasing the ball from lamp-post to lamp-post. My older (less handsome, and football-wise marginally more talented) brother and I ( aged 6 & 8 approximately) were always playing football on a wee bit of grass next to our house despite the ominous glowering presence of Mrs Drummond next door , who constantly threatened to report us to the police on account of our unbearable noisy exuberance. The police did indeed call and warned us about our antisocial football antics. Our parents spoke sternly to us while somehow letting us know that Mrs Drummond was a sad repressed old bag who should have better things to with her time than try to stop other people's enjoyment. Since then I've thought that maybe she had a great sadness in her life that made her be that way, and I'm sorry if I pissed her off. Not that sorry though, truth be told. Too late to apologise for the noise I suppose.

Organised football began with me lining up for Brunstane Primary v Lismore Primary around 1970 I think (scored a hat trick, chants of you're gonnae get yer ******* heid kicked in ), the good old days. I think Gogo Reilly was the star for Brunstane that day. Played for Portobello Utd Boys Club with a bunch of good players (Alex Gunn, Alan Cruickshank (Crunch), Brian Duncan, Alex Maxwell and others) . Still remember the game on the weekend after Cruyff first revealed the Cruyff Turn to the English speaking world in the Germany World Cup 1974.We all tried to copy what he'd done with no success. Still haven't mastered it.

Played for Porty High School after a 2 year break taken up by compulsory rugby. Strangely after a 2 year break feeding balls into scrums I still knew how to play football.

I managed to play for Stirling Uni at a good time (3 time winner of Scottish Universities League QP Shield) playing in Stirling Amateur League, Caledonian Amateur League and Scottish Universities League. Proud holder of Scottish Universties 5 a side football championship winners medal.

Starred for St Martiner M?dchengymasium teachers in that crunch game against the Sch?ler some years ago.

Had a good time playing for Musselburgh Amateurs as a "toonie". Great memories of playing in international tournament in Paris losing out in the final to one of the top teams from Yugoslavia after beating them in "the group". Remember when there was a Yugoslavia? Also played for S & N, CSA (Health Board League- Bizzare), and numerous other clubs and teams.

I think at some time I was involved with a team called Dizzie Lizzie's named after a pub in Leith some time.

In my long running dotage I played for many years with PVC Beethoven down at Pitz when it was still called that. That was great fun.

Somehow I still feel I'm a fine undiscovered talent.

Flankengott

What year were you in Paris mate? My late old man went in '79 and '83. Still got the pennants somewhere.

Paris I think was '85 or '86 for me. I still have a wee pennant somewhere from FK Radnik UB who beat us in the final. Other teams in the tournament were (from memory) Subutteo Pegli, Sparta G?ttingen, Charleroi, Hamburg SV (not the first team!) . There was free booze after the semi final which might have been our downfall. I was only at Musselburgh for a short time but they were a good bunch of guys. What was your dad's name?

willie wallace

Played for,

St Josephs PS in early 60's Then St Bernards Secondry (Stockbridge) Twice for Edinburgh Primary alongside Mr Souness, Paul Hegarty,Paddy Murphy, Ramey Cormack (Where are they now ?).

Did Paddy Murphy and Ramey Cormack play for St.Pats.I played for St.Davids[stevie Hancock was in the team] at the time and remember the names.They were good players.Not sure if they went on to St.Anthony's who were unbeatable for a few years in the late sixties.

rodger whittaker

Tam McGinn mate. Think he stopped about '84.

Paris I think was '85 or '86 for me. I still have a wee pennant somewhere from FK Radnik UB who beat us in the final. Other teams in the tournament were (from memory) Subutteo Pegli, Sparta G?ttingen, Charleroi, Hamburg SV (not the first team!) . There was free booze after the semi final which might have been our downfall. I was only at Musselburgh for a short time but they were a good bunch of guys. What was your dad's name?

bobskeldon

Did Paddy Murphy and Ramey Cormack play for St.Pats.I played for St.Davids[stevie Hancock was in the team] at the time and remember the names.They were good players.Not sure if they went on to St.Anthony's who were unbeatable for a few years in the late sixties.

I remember watching both Hancocks (Gavin and Steve) playing in the great 'Tony's' team that won the Scottish Cup (at Warriston if I remember correctly).

buzzbomb

Tam mcginn - quality guy..

Tam McGinn mate. Think he stopped about '84.

rodger whittaker

Thanks mate, obviously agree. How'd you know him?

Tam mcginn - quality guy..

buzzbomb

Through Staggs. Know his pals. John, willie etc. He was a really nice guy. Was gutted at his death.

Thanks mate, obviously agree. How'd you know him?

rodger whittaker

Thank you mate, appreciate the sentiments. I'm in Staggs with John, Willie and the rest occasionally for a pint. If you see me pop over and say hello.

Through Staggs. Know his pals. John, willie etc. He was a really nice guy. Was gutted at his death.

buzzbomb

Aye, will do.

Thank you mate, appreciate the sentiments. I'm in Staggs with John, Willie and the rest occasionally for a pint. If you see me pop over and say hello.

bobskeldon

Hands up if you were ever greetin after either being hit in the face by a MouldMaster OR heedered the lace on a a filly when it was soaking wet. :(

Budgie.

Hands up if you were ever greetin after either being hit in the face by a MouldMaster OR heedered the lace on a a filly when it was soaking wet. :(

Yep :sob:

bobskeldon

Yep :sob:

BOTH? :woot:

ando

Jesus there is a name from the past Eric Gardiner. The old gym down the royal Mile with the tiny goals lol.

Coached some great players i.e John.Greig and Roy Kay etc.

My Roll of Shame was :

Murrayburn Primary 1972- 1974

Forrester High School 1974-1977

United Crossroads under 15`s 1975-1976

Lost to the Bevvy for a few years lol

Telman Star Under 21`s 1981-1983

Ariel Travel "Sunday Churches League" - Great Team

And various other teams in Sunday Leagues.

Played with great players in my time. Sadly i was not one of them. More of a Journeyman Amateur lol.

just give me the ball ya penisya *****