BarneyBattles

What boys / school team did you play for and when?

jonnothejambo

Carrick Knowe Primary (late 1960's).

Forrester High (early 70's).

Played in the same team as Arthur Albiston (Man Utd & Scotland) while at Carrick Knowe and Forrester.

Also played with Carrickvale Thistle, Hutchie, Salvie then Mathers Bar and lastly the Dean Hotel (too many Hibbies).

While with the Dean I got dropped for a cup final (replaced by a Muppet). Was offered a medal but told them to shove it up their Jimmy Carter and I never went back........did I do the right thing ?

gordon_hmfc

Started playing for Glenpark, which formed into Edinburgh City, in the mid 90's and have slowly worked through the age groups.

School appearances along the way for Corstorphine and Craigmount.

Not seen any folk my age contributing :(. Maybe they are still in my back pocket?

If this is the Hughesie I'm thinking of, I believe we were teammates at Edinburgh City at under 15's or 16's...

BarneyBattles

Both schools, Moray House Primary and Portobello High played rugby so no schools football for me. Was very privileged to play for United Crossroads BC for 3 years at under 15, 16 and 17 age groups. Will never forget the trainer and founder, Eric Gardner, and the stars who turned up for training, John Greig, Sandy Jardine, Alan Anderson and quite a few more. Remember too getting kicked off the 2 a-side pitch we had at the gym in Blackfriars Street by the World Lightweight Boxing Champion, Kenny Buchanan and the joy it gave Eric Gardener as he listened on the radio to Kenny winning the first of his World Titles. The games I most remember were actually losing, for the first, and only, time that season, in a cup final at Tynecastle to a Salvesen team we'd beaten twice in the league and also the semi-finals of that cup, drawing 4-4 with Tynecastle on the Wednesday, then winning 7-4 in a gale on the Saturday before turning out in the final on the Monday. Eric Carruthers played for the Tyncastle side, though missed the semi replay due to an accident on a bike that morning (true) lol and Paul hegarty scored one of Salvesen's goals in the final. Great memories indeed and thanks to the OP for giving me cause to walk down Memory Lane :thumbsup:

I wonder if anybody on here remembers these games!

You are welcome mate - always happy to give a fellow ex Porty and crossroads boy the chance to reminisce! I wonder when porty started football teams then? I was there 83-86 and while there was always a team, it still smacked of not quite being as acceptable as rugby,

Cuthbertson used to let folk off with detention if they preferred the odd hsped ball and we were grudgingly admired/acknowledged for being a cracking football team.

Debut 4

School: Sighthill Primary (sometime between 1979-1985)

Wester Hailes Secondary (team lasted one season and was stopped because of trouble :rolleyes: , 1987)

Salvesen Boys Club 1986

Royston Roseberry 1986 (anyone remember them?)

North Merchiston Boys club , 1 season under 18`s and 4 at Under 21`s between 1991 and 1996. Various Cup final appearances , winning a couple and finshed 2nd EVERY season in the league.....Easthouses always edged it! :angry:

Peebles Rovers... EOS League 1996,97

Glenpark Amateurs ...1997, 98. League and cup double winners in the 1997 season.

Jambothroughandthrough

Early 80's - Dumbryden Primary School

Late 80's - Tynecastle High

Played for a club team called BMC. Got hammered most weeks :angry: (we did beat Tynie in a classic cup tie, though) We trained once a week in Broomhouse

Played in big footy tournament in Norwich with clubs from all over Europe. The final was to be played at Carrow Road. Our final group game was against a Dutch side and they pumped us 4-1 which meant we were sent hame to think again.

Great memories though

Floyd

Played with them both for Glasgow Schools, sure your PE teacher was the coach for them. Also played with Potter the keeper who died of a heart attack a few years ago shame nice guy and so young.

That was a god awful pitch Cathkin high had. I came chargeing out to narrow down the angle once and trip and rolled about 20 yards down the hill, the guy had an open goal hit his shot along the deck up the hill, (when I say hill I really mean MOUNTAIN. The goal line had a ledge about 4 inches high on it his shot hit the ledge and bounced back out to our centre half who promptly went to clear it and sliced it straight in the top corner!!!

Small world eh??

I was never picked up for Glasgow schools, mainly due to my penchant for bad tackles and indiscipline combined with not being good enough either!!! :P

What school did you play for??

It would have either been Tommy Gough or Willie White that took them. It was Gough who brought me into the team at first and all was good, but when Willie took over it all changed. :(

Potter was the year below me and was a gentleman, cracking lad who never smoked, drank or did drugs but got struck down in the prime of his life doing pre season with his junior team.

Tragic.

The pitches were bad back then, but we loved them and were used to them and used it to our advantage, well I certainly did!!! :lol:

Made me look a far better player than I actually was.

bebeto

Went to John Street Secondary in Bridgeton. We had a decent team. Was right good friends with some of the Cathkin boys back then. Willie White was the coach for Glasgow schools when I played for them.

Potter was a good lad amazing someone so young and healthy can die in such a tragic way.

Floyd

Went to John Street Secondary in Bridgeton. We had a decent team. Was right good friends with some of the Cathkin boys back then. Willie White was the coach for Glasgow schools when I played for them.

Potter was a good lad amazing someone so young and healthy can die in such a tragic way.

John Street did have a good team, think I only ever played against you boys once though, was probably suspended/dropped for any other games.

I still see Willie White in my work now and again, first time he saw me was about 3 years ago, he recognised my face and was asking me how he knew me, as soon as I said that he dropped me from the team back at Cathkin High, he said, I remember you now, short temper, limited ability wise but you always gave 110% effort.

To which I replied, so why did you drop me? He said, because you were a liability and I never knew if it would be you or the devil who would turn up. :lol:

He is a nice guy, head teacher over at Hillhead High and Tommy Gough is his depute.

Uncle Buck

Ac Oxgangs 2003-10

St Marks Primary 2003-06

Templeton Peck

Could I be the only person to have played for Forresters and St Augustines?

Only ever attended Forries. Was the Mo Johnston of my day.

chico1874

Haha that's the one!

The pen with both teams getting sent to own penalty boxes was a different game however it was immediately after the Celtic game. We came off the park against Celtic and they told us we had to play some team called Ajax! Obviously not the Dutch team. I'm ashamed to say that the incident you are talking about was due to me being decked in the box with our manager (Brian?) pulling us off the park in disgust. I ran back on the pitch and lamped the boy who felled me only to be chased by the whole team before everyone else got involved.

Game was nearly abandoned and a policeman grabbed me saying he could have nicked me for what had happened with me replying "but I'm only 15 officer".

Yep, it's me JM :D

By the way great memories guys, I was also playing in that game/tourney with BD the manager!

I know jm but who's my other team mate?

My memories of this game are no where near clear as you two , must have been the rave scene!

We should have a reunion Laurence dunns on my Facebook also! GW

Suspect Device

played for inch primary when we lost the epssa cup final to balgreen captained who were captained by gary mckay. also played for inch boys club at the same time tynecastle and salveson dominated the scene in edinburgh. gary mckay, davy bowman, gordon marshall just a few of the biys around at the time so we were up against it. we did win a couple of trophys and played against tynie and salvy many times in semi finals and finals. they were so much betetr then us but it was great to beat them in one off games

who 'managed' the Inch boys club team ? Peter T & Jimmy M ?

if so, did you go to Liverpool ?

gk1

Despite living darn sarf for 23 years I recently ran a course in Scotland. One of my delegates turned out to have played against me donkeys years ago.

He had played in Goals for Hutchie /Tynie Hearts / Scotland Schools. Our discussions got me thinking along similar lines and very nostalgic.

You might want to pull up a chair and pour yourself a cup of tea as this might take some time.

Started of at 25th BB's

Portobello United Under 13-15 Goalie was Ian McLaren who signed for Hearts and went on to play Juniors for (I think) Linlithgow Rose

Queens Park boys Club under 16- 21. Played a blinder in trial for Edinburgh Under 18 Select and kept Eamon Bannon out of starting line up for game against Fife

Went to school at Portobello High. Team at that time contained Ian McLaren (again) but he played up front as we also had Drew Brand who played one first team game for Everton years later. As he conceded five goals he never played for them again. Chris Robertson also played up front He signed for Rangers then played for Hearts more famous as brother of John. Also Gordon Grandison who signed with Hearts played. Got to final of Scottish cup

I played final year at Under 21 with Cavalry Park

On Saturdays I played for Gilmerton Violet in Lothian Amateurs Mid/East div. Then Leith Victoria in Edinburgh Amateur Premier ( I have heard a rumour that big Andy Gibson who is older than me still playes fives, his daughter who used to post on here might be along soon to confirm I broke their table in a drunken state) Knightsridge Thistle Lothian Amateur Prem.

On Sundays I played for Port Villa in the Maybury Premier League and CSA in the Health board league

Midweek I used to play for BT Telesales FC in the Scottish Industries Sports association, a guy called Bill Aitken who was on or had been on Rangers books also played. (For those who know the General on here, he was a classy libero in that team but could not tackle a white pudding supper)

Moved to Swindonat age of 30 Played for West Swindon Reserves in Swindon and District Premier League and first team in Wilts League moved to Raychem in Wilts League then back to West Swindon in Wilts League from div 2 up to 1. Team folded I retired aged about 45

Made comeback in Swindon Sunday League div 7 with Village Inn FC Played 3 years finishing in div 4 retired just short of 50th birthday.

Made comeback at age 52 played 2 seasons for Cartus FC

Last Sunda,y Cartus changed name to AFC Greendown pre season training started I got given a signing on form should I sign it now or wait till after I am 54?

And they all lived happily ever after.

you must played same time as me only difference is the 37th bbs replaces the 25th

were you in league winning teams with the vics and port villa

moonraker

you must played same time as me only difference is the 37th bbs replaces the 25th

were you in league winning teams with the vics and port villa

37th Magdalene eh? Think the highest when i played for Vics was second behind Leith ( Was it Wanderers or Athletic) did get to Quarter final of Scottish cup before getting beat by Burntisland Shipyards.John Thorburn , Wullie Fiddler , The Batten brothers Gogs Herd, Andy Gibson, Andy Young, Johnny Clayson, Jimmy Bathgate, John Grady, Brian Fruish.

Think second might have been best with Villa as well. Laurie and Malky Tulloch, Joe Johnson, Billy Turner, Stewart Young,Stevie Crumlish

On a sadder note, was down in Blackpool with The Vics in Summer 86, saw what had been a fantastic weekend devastated by a few seconds of football footage.

Edited by moonraker

moonraker

You are welcome mate - always happy to give a fellow ex Porty and crossroads boy the chance to reminisce! I wonder when porty started football teams then? I was there 83-86 and while there was always a team, it still smacked of not quite being as acceptable as rugby,

Cuthbertson used to let folk off with detention if they preferred the odd hsped ball and we were grudgingly admired/acknowledged for being a cracking football team.

Really kicked off when Terry Christie who was manager of Stirling Albion at the time took over from Jim Telfer as Deputy Headmaster. Scottish cup final in our first year. Telfer and Cubby had tried to keep it egg chasing only but Terry was a breath of fresh air.

RealMaroonCF

My dates n memory is honking apart from my school days. Thought of myself as a handy player (played for P7s when I was in P4) but too small for any type of recognition.

Holy Cross '86-'89 (beaten EPSAA cup finalist by Inch in '89)

St Thomas of Aquins '89-'95

Royburn Sports late '80s - early '90s

Pilton Boys Club '90s

Celtic East '90s

Porty Thistle '92

<< Then the bevvy/ladies kicked in >>

Pilton Babes (Pitz Team)

Rose and Crown 2001

FC Westfield 2001-2003 (Mighty President Cup winners)

Tranent Colts Parents Once-A-Year take on team 2011-Present

bobskeldon

Really kicked off when Terry Christie who was manager of Stirling Albion at the time took over from Jim Telfer as Deputy Headmaster. Scottish cup final in our first year. Telfer and Cubby had tried to keep it egg chasing only but Terry was a breath of fresh air.

I can tell you that I left in 1971 just as Hamish Thom (PE Teacher) arrived. He started football at the school in 1972/73.

iantjambo

Went to Danderhall primary but even though I wasn`t to bad I never got picked as we had one of the best teams the area had seen (including a certain Grant Brebner), I did however get picked to take part in a one day tournament but sadlt never done myself any favours as we lost all 3 of our group games and I got sent off for attempted murder in the third game.

That was it until about 10 years ago when I signed up for the Edmonstone Inn team, thinking I was still fit enough to play, i came on as a sub,was knackered after 10 minutes, pretended to be injured, got subbed and never played again.

Oddly enough I played a lot of fives back then and handled it fine but the eleven aside game killed me.

kevinc

Great clubs ran by great guys. Owe each and every one of them enormous gratitude.

Lismore Primary

United Crossroads (Eric Gardner)

Edinburgh Thistle (auld Archie Buchanan)

Royston BC (Peter Bruce)

Holyrood 21s (Bob Robertson)

North Merchiston 21s (Jimmy Kilgour)

Cavalry Park 21s (George Brough )

Cavalry Park 21s (George Brough, great guy....and convicted sex offender )

Debut 4

My dates n memory is honking apart from my school days. Thought of myself as a handy player (played for P7s when I was in P4) but too small for any type of recognition.

Pilton Boys Club '90s

Celtic East '90s

Porty Thistle '92

Pilton Babes (Pitz Team)

Rose and Crown 2001

when did you play with Celtic East exactly?....I went to Amsterdam with North Merchie to play in an under 18s tourney in 91, 92.....we shared the coach with Celtic East down to Dover and Hugh McGauran was the coach, think he went to Hearts years after. Celtic East were Under 15, 16s at the time I think and about 7 or 8 of their starting line up were Jam Tarts. Cracking side, we watched their games when we weren't playing....

RealMaroonCF

when did you play with Celtic East exactly?....I went to Amsterdam with North Merchie to play in an under 18s tourney in 91, 92.....we shared the coach with Celtic East down to Dover and Hugh McGauran was the coach, think he went to Hearts years after. Celtic East were Under 15, 16s at the time I think and about 7 or 8 of their starting line up were Jam Tarts. Cracking side, we watched their games when we weren't playing....

I left Celtic East before that. Shugs (H McG) took the Celtic East job and transferred the guys from Royburn to there. We had a few mpnths together but with the exception of the absolute best players most of us were dumped out to Porty. Of the guys that got kept on I know a couple went on to S-Form at hearts, they were cracking players (wee Pedro especially) but as per usual very few of them got a chance at any sort of senior level.

One thing I will say is that Shugs was the best caoch I have ever played under and in fact seen. He is still a fitmess fanatic to this day (I've ssen him in the gym when I dare to trudge in) and back when we were winning things under Royburn's name he had us fitter, stronger and hungrier than any other team about us. He was insistent on really good quality passing and attacking aswell.

As I said, around the time I was 14/15 (91/92) was when I 'deviated' to ladies and drink, aswell as music which completely took over my life and football got left behind - with the exception that I followed the famous every week down in sention N of the old stand prior to it becoming cowboy country ! Drinking was allowed in Nirvana even at 15 ! Cracking.

RealMaroonCF

ps it was RATHO not the Inch that beat us in the 89 EPSSA cup final.

Templeton Peck

Was there not another sex offender that helped out at Celtic East late 80's/early 90's? Think that he has recently been convicted again.

RealMaroonCF

Correct. One of the guys that used to be in the team told me about this but I dont recall the guy at all. I didnt even recognise his name when I checked out the reports.

For the record Im not sure his 'goings on' were during that time, I think he was convicted for more recent issues. As I said, I donno the guy and I amnt really into reading up on that soe of grim gash.

FTH

micole

Played for,

St Josephs PS in early 60's Then St Bernards Secondry (Stockbridge) Twice for Edinburgh Primary alongside Mr Souness, Paul Hegarty,Paddy Murphy, Ramey Cormack (Where are they now ?).

bobskeldon

Correct, however my experience of him as a coach prior to his conviction was that he was a great guy

who was years ahead of his time in terms of coaching/playing style.

Are you are suggesting that an individual's experience of someone at a particular point in time is not valid because

that individual then goes on at a later date to commit an offence, sexual or otherwise?

e.g. Harold Shipman's ma and most of his patients loved him, their views on their experience of him are not

wiped because at a later date he committed a heinous crime!

daveydal

You are indeed Correct it was Mr Chung who took the school team, Craiglockhart Primary also I am bound to ken you mate.

Went to both School's around the same time

Nice one mate :thumbsup: as someone else pointed out it was during the teachers strike that Tynecastle never hud a team...couldnae remember that but im 37 now so the old grey cells are depleted :whistling:

I was the oldest guy in the team at high school,was made up mostly of dudes from the year below

Who are ya buddy?

moonraker

Always made us run up the steps just inside Holyrood Park, got us as fit an anything. As a team of midgets when I played he had us playing in a Barcaesque fashion (without the results as it was in the days when the tackle from behind was not just legitimate but mandatory)

Edited by moonraker

JamboBen

Nice one mate :thumbsup: as someone else pointed out it was during the teachers strike that Tynecastle never hud a team...couldnae remember that but im 37 now so the old grey cells are depleted :whistling:

I was the oldest guy in the team at high school,was made up mostly of dudes from the year below

Who are ya buddy?

Russell Wright. ring any bells?

Went to Craiglockhart and Tynie and my old dear worked in the office at Tynie for years not anymore though

colinmaroon

Eastwood Secondary, Clarkston, just before the Normans landed at hastings.

moonraker

I can tell you that I left in 1971 just as Hamish Thom (PE Teacher) arrived. He started football at the school in 1972/73.

Actually you are righ,t but till Terry Christie, I think it was just one team in the whole school and only at sixth year. Christie opened it to all years.

King of the North

Haha that's the one!

The pen with both teams getting sent to own penalty boxes was a different game however it was immediately after the Celtic game. We came off the park against Celtic and they told us we had to play some team called Ajax! Obviously not the Dutch team. I'm ashamed to say that the incident you are talking about was due to me being decked in the box with our manager (Brian?) pulling us off the park in disgust. I ran back on the pitch and lamped the boy who felled me only to be chased by the whole team before everyone else got involved.

Game was nearly abandoned and a policeman grabbed me saying he could have nicked me for what had happened with me replying "but I'm only 15 officer".

Ha ha

I was at white hart lane with you then ;)..

JN

dougal

Spooky, almost the same time as me

I know who you are.

Rudolf's Mate

By the way great memories guys, I was also playing in that game/tourney with BD the manager!

I know jm but who's my other team mate?

My memories of this game are no where near clear as you two , must have been the rave scene!

We should have a reunion Laurence dunns on my Facebook also! GW

Laurence was some boy. Sure he was with us the day the St Bernards game was called off and we ran up to Tynie and managed to get tickets for the Celtic game. Only problem was they were for the away end and we all had Hearts stuff on us. JN - Were you not there? This was the game which I thought we were going to get done over and got us into the Hearts end with a bit dramatic acting!

Chico, send me a PM re facebook as it would be great to get in touch with Laurence.

Ha ha

I was at white hart lane with you then ;)..

JN

Yep, what a day/night that was :thumbsup: Fancy a European trip JN???

Maiden Gorgie

Sciennes Primary 1983-85

Gillespies High 1988-90

North Merchiston Boys - from 1989 (U13 to U18)

Craig Gordons Gloves

I had a long and distinguished career for the 16th Edinburgh BB, based out of Penicuik, i played for them from the age of 8 through to 15 (aged 8, being in the full size goals at Penicuik public park was fun).

I also played for Peebles Thistle for a season and Peebles High School in 2nd year - we once beat Hawick 15-0 and went through the whole season unbeaten.

Played for the Davy Crocket Fan Club at uni and then made it to the heady heights of Real Maroon for a few seasons, where i was mainly on the bench being shouted at by some guy called Broadie, then another guy called I.J.....

"highlight" of my schoolboy football career was playing for an Edinburgh BB select at Saughton versus a Norwegian team - so i can now say i've played international football...

jambojase

Pilton Boys Club '90s

Celtic East '90s

Porty Thistle '92

Pilton Babes (Pitz Team)

Rose and Crown 2001

Not many Jambo's at Saint Tam's. Did Mr Smith do the footie team? I was the year above you and apart from losing two derbies in first year it was the entire 22 match run. Loved wearing the Hearts scarf there especially after the wayne foster match.

Jambomb

Haha that's the one!

What year/age group was that - all seems very familiar but my memories totally shot!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

weststand93

waltham abby 96-97

east hearts 98-03

AllyjamboDerbyshire

The wee gym up the stairs was where the winners got free 'canteen' i.e. juice, crisps etc Do you remember that?

Also during the summer months we played/trained in the school playground at the back. Happy Days indeed.

I remember playing football in the playground and training in a school gym that the playground belonged to. Have memories of the gym floor literaly running in sweat as EG put us through a training regime that the pros that trained with us would pack in before we'd finished. I reckon the 2 a side pitch was the only one anywhere in the world :D

J Cheever Loophole

Eastwood Secondary, Clarkston, just before the Normans landed at hastings.

laugh.gif

I was getting stripped one day and the coach said to me"have a good one,your being watched" "Who bih" I asked,"Juve,Juve"he started."Juventus" I said. "Naw,Fray Bentus"he replied.

Some pep talk eh?

King of the North

Laurence was some boy. Sure he was with us the day the St Bernards game was called off and we ran up to Tynie and managed to get tickets for the Celtic game. Only problem was they were for the away end and we all had Hearts stuff on us. JN - Were you not there? This was the game which I thought we were going to get done over and got us into the Hearts end with a bit dramatic acting!

Chico, send me a PM re facebook as it would be great to get in touch with Laurence.

Yep, what a day/night that was :thumbsup: Fancy a European trip JN???

I was there.

We managed to convince a steward to escort us from the Celtic end along the front of the old enclosure, who upon seeing 14/15 yr old youths being led from the Celtic end gave us absolute dogs abuse. think you managed to give the Celtic dugout and Billy McNeil 'the vickeys' before we were safely deposited in the home end.

Think we won as well. Good times..

Euro trip would be quality, although am away a lot in August so might have to group stages! When's the draw?

whitehill welfare

St davids high school 84.88

Sherwood boys club

Easthouses u18

Bonnyrigg rose a 21

Calderwood amateurs

Danderhall amateurs

Played with s tweed and scott marshall in select game,played against daily,alex clelland,gary bollan and duncan ferguson for whitehill in a bp cup game

Far better at fives played at sighthill powerleague for ten years around 2000 with biffa waste,rosewell rosedale,and sighthill hotel,arguably best teams at that time i did say arguably

AllyjamboDerbyshire

Your a lot younger than me :verymad: and my first year was the very first that the new school was open in 1963 but I remember Cuthbertson, a sod of a man. Took great delight in pinching the ball off us whenever he could find an excuse to spoil our game during the breaks, along with a few other teachers. I think there was 5 of my year played for Crossroads and some others for Salvesen, Tynecastle and Royston, the top 4 teams in Edinburgh at the time. We'd have had a great school team and did have an absolutely sh*t rugby team with only the guys who couldn't play football interested. Not sure when Porty started playing football, re-started actually, as I remember photos in the library of school teams with plenty of trophies. But Crossroads was a great club to play for, with Bob McAully, the Rangers scout, never far away. You always knew he was watching as you could smell his cigar as soon as he turned up lol

corryjambo

Funnily enough, I was thinking about initiating a thread along similar lines, just the other day, but I'm not a "thread starter" by nature. Nae dates, but! :ninja:

Preston Street Primary.

Darroch Secondary. We won the cup and finished second in the league, one particular year, if I remember. We also played in green and gold hoops with white shorts. :yucky:

2nd Edinburgh Boys Brigade, out of Charteris Pleasance Church, or Kirk o'Fields, as I believe it's called now .

J.T.F.Robertson

corryjambo

J.C. ??????

Edited by J.T.F.Robertson

bobskeldon

I remember playing football in the playground and training in a school gym that the playground belonged to. Have memories of the gym floor literaly running in sweat as EG put us through a training regime that the pros that trained with us would pack in before we'd finished. I reckon the 2 a side pitch was the only one anywhere in the world :D

I think you might be right, how many football pitches were two flights up a stair in Blackfriars St and was that small it has been turned back into someone's living room again. Do you remember big Tam McLeod, he was a great UC guy and the unique strips as well, white with two red bands. Happy days mate!

jock62

The Bryans school in Mayfield (its not there anymore) around 71/72

moved to a high school that played rugby, so that was the end of that :verymad:

i was at the bryans primary about the same time

jamie1874

John Street did have a good team, think I only ever played against you boys once though, was probably suspended/dropped for any other games.

I still see Willie White in my work now and again, first time he saw me was about 3 years ago, he recognised my face and was asking me how he knew me, as soon as I said that he dropped me from the team back at Cathkin High, he said, I remember you now, short temper, limited ability wise but you always gave 110% effort.

To which I replied, so why did you drop me? He said, because you were a liability and I never knew if it would be you or the devil who would turn up. :lol:

He is a nice guy, head teacher over at Hillhead High and Tommy Gough is his depute.

Willie white took my school team for a short space of time too. Hillpark secondary.

Cathkin were a decent side, lost to them in Glasgow schools cup final out at Lowmoss pitches the same day as Hearts 5-1 in the Scottish cup final- bad bad day. Can remember the Cathkin mini bus turning up with rangers flags that day. We had beat them a few weeks earlier in the league and lost 4-2 in the cup final.

Flankengott

Started my footballing career, no sorry, started my footballing life kicking a ball about in the street with the other kids in the street. Cars were a rarity so it was OK to run about daft chasing the ball from lamp-post to lamp-post. My older (less handsome, and football-wise marginally more talented) brother and I ( aged 6 & 8 approximately) were always playing football on a wee bit of grass next to our house despite the ominous glowering presence of Mrs Drummond next door , who constantly threatened to report us to the police on account of our unbearable noisy exuberance. The police did indeed call and warned us about our antisocial football antics. Our parents spoke sternly to us while somehow letting us know that Mrs Drummond was a sad repressed old bag who should have better things to with her time than try to stop other people's enjoyment. Since then I've thought that maybe she had a great sadness in her life that made her be that way, and I'm sorry if I pissed her off. Not that sorry though, truth be told. Too late to apologise for the noise I suppose.

Organised football began with me lining up for Brunstane Primary v Lismore Primary around 1970 I think (scored a hat trick, chants of you're gonnae get yer ******* heid kicked in ), the good old days. I think Gogo Reilly was the star for Brunstane that day. Played for Portobello Utd Boys Club with a bunch of good players (Alex Gunn, Alan Cruickshank (Crunch), Brian Duncan, Alex Maxwell and others) . Still remember the game on the weekend after Cruyff first revealed the Cruyff Turn to the English speaking world in the Germany World Cup 1974.We all tried to copy what he'd done with no success. Still haven't mastered it.

Played for Porty High School after a 2 year break taken up by compulsory rugby. Strangely after a 2 year break feeding balls into scrums I still knew how to play football.

I managed to play for Stirling Uni at a good time (3 time winner of Scottish Universities League QP Shield) playing in Stirling Amateur League, Caledonian Amateur League and Scottish Universities League. Proud holder of Scottish Universties 5 a side football championship winners medal.

Starred for St Martiner M?dchengymasium teachers in that crunch game against the Sch?ler some years ago.

Had a good time playing for Musselburgh Amateurs as a "toonie". Great memories of playing in international tournament in Paris losing out in the final to one of the top teams from Yugoslavia after beating them in "the group". Remember when there was a Yugoslavia? Also played for S & N, CSA (Health Board League- Bizzare), and numerous other clubs and teams.

I think at some time I was involved with a team called Dizzie Lizzie's named after a pub in Leith some time.

In my long running dotage I played for many years with PVC Beethoven down at Pitz when it was still called that. That was great fun.

Somehow I still feel I'm a fine undiscovered talent.

Edited by Flankengott