BarneyBattles

What boys / school team did you play for and when?

BarneyBattles

Linlithgow Primary 1978-1982 Played in the same team as Grant McMartin who played for Dundee, St Johnstone, and Livingston. Only lost 1 game in two seasons.

Linlithgow Academy 1983-84

Swan Tavern, Linlithgow - Played in the West Lothian section of the Maybury League 1989-1992.

Still play the occasional 5 a sides but my knees are knackered now.

I did some work with Grant a couple of years ago - good guy.

The Comedian

School - Queen Anne, briefly.

Clubs - Cairneyhill Colts, Forth FC, Oakley Star* Fife and Celtic u15s**

*Playing with goons there killed my interest, that and I was a injury magnet.

**Didn't get beasted :thumbsup:

Clerry Jambo

Craiglockhart Primary

Tynecastle High School

Merchiston Boys Club

Spooky mate, what year were you at Craiglockhart?

Played with them at primary and then with Tynie also, followed by spells at Merchie boys, Tynecastle Boys, Hutchi Vale ( booo ) - I was a bit of a mercenary!!

SanliHearts

Avondale Colts (Armadale)

Polbeth

Bathgate Academy

Boroughmuir High School

daveydal

Cutting through the haze to try and remember it all ( or where it all went wrong! )

Craiglockhart Primary 82-86

Salvesen Boys Club u10s - u15s ... had a few players over the years .... Kevin Thomas ( mind o him!?!?!? ) Tommy Harrison ( Dunfermline ), Kev and Gary Locke :thumbsup:( Gary was a stand oot in those days )

Rangers Youth under 11s and Dundee Utd Youth under 12s

Edinburgh Thistle u16s - u18s ( later changed name to Ainslie Park )

Tranent u 21s

St Bernards u 21s but really couldnae be ersed by that stage!!!

Tynecastle High School tho never had a team til 4th year cos the teachers refused to take the team or something ( think it was Mr Chung who relented )

finished off playing saturday amateur for Tynecastle Star

corkie64

Leith Walk primary 74-77 won the Warriston cup (74) and league (77)

Edina Hibs 75-77

St. Bernards 77-78

United Crossroads 78-80

Dalkieth Thistle 80-81

Hythe Town 81-83

Crouchend Vamps 83-87

* Darren Jackson played in the Leith Walk primary school team and his dad Adam managed us, happy days lol

King of the North

Boroughmuir

St Bernard's 86-90

Guernsey Rovers

Guernsey Rangers

Cruciate injury = fat bassa & game over :sob:

Spooky

Buckstone Primary - finished runners up to an all-conquering St Peters in the Meggetland A league, with local rivals Hunters Tryst & South Morningside blown away.

Boroughmuir - school team ravaged by the teachers strikes, took some absolute humpings.

St Bernards u13s - u16s(86-89). - Highlight was a trip to Germany where iirc we narrowly lost out to SV Hamburg in the knockout stages of a tournament. That trip also featured some quite ridiculous and blatant shoplifting at Ostend from the u18s (who contained quite a few 'bams') and resulted in the coach being stopped and searched - exciting stuff for us wee u13s at the time. Played against Steven Tweed (Captains Cabin) and Scott Marshall (Tynie), and I gave away a penalty against Celtic BC in a Paisley tournament, hauling down Brian O Neil in the box. Was a stonewaller tbf...

Hated going through to the weedge to play on ash pitches....

Takis4king

st marys primary 95/01ish and st thomas' high school from 02/08! played for edinburgh select side at school and club level.

played with hutchie from 97 to 2011 until i had to give up through injury and decided to follow hearts everywhere! same team as paul hanlon, leigh griffiths etc.

1874robbo

Here are mine but not sure of dates so will list the teams I played for between 82-96

Royal High primary

Portobello thistle

Northfield

Edina Hibs

Portobello high school

North Merchi

Hutchi vale

Prestonfield

Edinburgh Rose

Manor thistle

I played in the same hutchi team as Alan Combe

And under the best manager ever at Merchi who was mark Patterson.

jambo3tevie

I was pretty decent in my day to be honest, but at the age of 19 women and beer took completely over and well how can i put it,I BLEW IT BIG TIME.

Broomhall saints:(satarday).................

East calder: (sunday) ...................... > 1987 - 1990

Tynecastle high school: (sat mornings)......

Hutchison Vale...................

S Form with the Hearts........... >1990-1991/1992

Newcastle United....Until the beggining of 1993. This is where i blew it big time, got home sick at newcastle ,came back to edinburgh just before my 20th birthday and met my wife,just wanted to be a shagger and drink beer with my mates which is what i done for the next two years.

Took up fitba again after alot of drinking and nights out with the lads in 1995

Armadale juniors 1995 - 1997.... Sold to Harthill juniors in 1997

Harthill Juniors 1997-1998...... wanted by stenhousmuir and Spartans,Chose Spartans because believe it or not "the money was better" and if truth be known i **** hated training.

Spartans 1998 - 2002..... was a regular starter and scorer for spartans in my time there but being one of the lads i decided to help my local sunday pub team out ( the chesser inn) playing under a false name and well, you can probably imagine how that went lol.

While playing for the mighty chesser inn (haha) My cruciate liggament exploded (not just ruptured) but it was gone there was nothing there.Had my knee rebuilt but would never be able to play at a higher level again.

That was my fitba career in a nut shell.

P.S Spartans where very pissed when i done my knee and actualy got fined because i was playing under a false name for a sunday pub league.

What could have been Eh?

BigMDV

The Bryans school in Mayfield (its not there anymore) around 71/72

moved to a high school that played rugby, so that was the end of that :verymad:

bobskeldon

Great clubs ran by great guys. Owe each and every one of them enormous gratitude.

Lismore Primary

United Crossroads (Eric Gardner)

Edinburgh Thistle (auld Archie Buchanan)

Royston BC (Peter Bruce)

Holyrood 21s (Bob Robertson)

North Merchiston 21s (Jimmy Kilgour)

Cavalry Park 21s (George Brough)

Edited by bobskeldon

bebeto

Started playing for Cathkin United under 9's as a right footed left back alongside Darren Young, who played for Aberdeen, Dundee, Dunfermline & currently plays under Sir Paul at Alloa. When we moved up to under 10's his younger brother Derek played in the same team, similar career for Derek, both really nice lads and still bump into them occassionally.

Played for Cathkin Primary in P6 & P7 as a right winger in a front three or second striker when we went two up top.

Went to Cathkin High and played left back in S1, S2 & S3 before being dropped for my 'questionable' disciplinary record on the pitch. Had a big barney with the PE teacher who took the decision and was told in no uncertain terms that I would never play for the school again.

Played with Darren & Derek again and a few other boys who were picked up on S forms but did no more or ended up playing juniors at best.

I fell out of football for a year or so after being dropped but later returned playing under 17's & 18's for Springhall as a left back initially and then later as a second striker and then some cameo appearances as a centre mid for my mates team Lea Rig/Haghill when they were short of bodies as I entered my mid 20's.

Still play fives a couple of times a week but haven't played 11's in about 2 years. :sob:

Played with them both for Glasgow Schools, sure your PE teacher was the coach for them. Also played with Potter the keeper who died of a heart attack a few years ago shame nice guy and so young.

That was a god awful pitch Cathkin high had. I came chargeing out to narrow down the angle once and trip and rolled about 20 yards down the hill, the guy had an open goal hit his shot along the deck up the hill, (when I say hill I really mean MOUNTAIN. The goal line had a ledge about 4 inches high on it his shot hit the ledge and bounced back out to our centre half who promptly went to clear it and sliced it straight in the top corner!!!

mullen13

Currie high school

Merchie boys club

Hearts

Currie star

Motherwell initiative

Scotland boys

Edinburgh district

Tynecastle hearts

Hutchie vale

Then I found women and alcohol and it went downhill ha

What years? I played for a few of the same teams

Seymour M Hersh

Manchester United

Barcelona

Hearts

Then i got too boozy.

:sob:

FM doesn't count on this thread FK.

mullen13

Glenpark

Edinburgh City

Currie Star

Motherwell East

Tynecastle hearts

Edina Hibs

Roseburn

Prestonfield

Heriot Watt...

...Discovered booze and women and reverted to 5s! :lol:

joe.gausden

Granton Primary 77-79 (Mackie Shield winners in 79 :D )

19th Leith Boys Brigade around 77-79

Ainslie Park HS 81-82 (kicked out for having a few too many kicks at Scott Nisbet in a trial game)

Ferryhill - Sunday Amatuer 90-96

Craigroyston - Sunday Amateur 96 - 99

Rudolf's Mate

Spooky

St Bernards u13s - u16s(86-89).

and I gave away a penalty against Celtic BC in a Paisley tournament, hauling down Brian O Neil in the box. Was a stonewaller tbf...[/size]

I've stripped out the above mate as we may have played in the same team re St Bernards.

The Paisley tourney I played against Celtic was the milk cup and we were drawing 1-1 with Celtic going into injury time. The ref gave them a pen for a tackle which was clean plus outside the box. The keeper saved it however the ref said he moved and made them re-take. He saved again and yep the ref said he moved and they scored the third time. We played 8 mins of injury time in that game and the Celtic coach showed us some of the video he'd taken of the game including my goal from outside the box :D and to be fair to him he said the ref was a disgrace for playing that amount of time and the pen.

That was a great tourney as Jim Leishman grabbed me by the scruff of the neck for saying to the rest of the team, that's no JL, as JL is a fat bassa. He pulled me close and said, aye it feckin is :woot:

Celtic had won that tourney for the last 5 or 6 years on the bounce. They also had players in the team who went onto play for the first team so to be cheated by the ref kind of took the shine of it. I guess somethings haven't changed :thumbsdown:

Edited by Rudolf's Mate

Gigolo-Aunt

Carrick Knowe Primary

Forrester High School

Glenpark - Under 10'- 16's

North Merchiston Under 18's

Lochend United - Under 21's

Trained with Dunfermline for a few months as well as Meadowbank (recall Gordon Rae playing with them). Was scheduled to play a reserve game for them but it was cancelled.

Links in the Caledonian league - no idea if its still called that. That was around 1997.

Then retired to the play Saturday Amateur for about 10 years.

5's on a Monday is about as far as it goes now.

laugh.gif

Lt.Speirs

Played a good few games for Queensferry high school played up front. Kept out of the team by Kevin Thomas.

Jocam2325

Played for Bo'ness Academy throughout time there, mostly between 81 and 85

Clubs:

Bowhouse Rovers, Grangemouth

Camelon Thistle

Gairdoch Utd (won Scottish U14-U16)Played in team with many players who went onto play for senior club and at good junior level incl Grant McMartin who has been mentioned previously. He was a friend for a few years.

Linlithgow Under 18's

Played once in SPL reserve league away to Morton for Falkirk (probably 88/89). Willie Bud Johnston was taking Falkirk that day. Got paid ?5 for my efforts or lack thereof. Falkirk were due to play Rangers on the Wednesday and on the bus home from Greenock was told they'd be in touch. I'm still waiting. Maybe soon. I was found out to be very average at best.

After that usual route of Sunday Amateur in Bo'ness. Work teams and 5's. By that time though work and future wife took up too much time.

Cairneyhill Jambo

I did some work with Grant a couple of years ago - good guy.

He was a really nice guy. Haven't seen him in years. The last time was in the St Michaels Hotel in Linlithgow at the Linlithgow Marches. Had a pint with him and his brother Euan. :thumbsup:

sub sub

hawthornden primary (undeafeted)won everything going. at the end of year assembly got presented with pishy we plaque.

lasswade high 1981/83-84 ish (won longest in shower haha, na was hung like a chipolatta's ******). good team till teacher's strike.

sherwood boy's club under 12's-18's we had a good group o guy's from bonnyrigg all local's, the manager(frankie flemming, harry mcguineas) started to bring in boy's from all other gangland area's, a few good player's came in mostly all the bam's we had been fighting with the year before haha, had to leave for the

sake of my liver to start drinking like that from 13 god.

pub league midlothian snooker hall, four n hand, laird and dog, p/i, smt busses. oh how i loved a sunday sesh.

King of the North

I've stripped out the above mate as we may have played in the same team re St Bernards.

The Paisley tourney I played against Celtic was the milk cup and we were drawing 1-1 with Celtic going into injury time. The ref gave them a pen for a tackle which was clean plus outside the box. The keeper saved it however the ref said he moved and made them re-take. He saved again and yep the ref said he moved and they scored the third time. We played 8 mins of injury time in that game and the Celtic coach showed us some of the video he'd taken of the game including my goal from outside the box :D and to be fair to him he said the ref was a disgrace for playing that amount of time and the pen.

That was a great tourney as Jim Leishman grabbed me by the scruff of the neck for saying to the rest of the team, that's no JL, as JL is a fat bassa. He pulled me close and said, aye it feckin is :woot:

Celtic had won that tourney for the last 5 or 6 years on the bounce. They also had players in the team who went onto play for the first team so to be cheated by the ref kind of took the shine of it. I guess somethings haven't changed :thumbsdown:

I remember the Jim Leishman character. I actually didnt think it was him either, in fact still not sure it was... he may have been winding you up. I think he was some boy with white hair and a tache who was involved with the juvenile league set up. Could be wrong though.

As for the pen incident, mind is a bit hazy, but were both teams sent to their own penalty boxes to 'calm down' or was that a different game?

I know of at least one other member of that St Bernards team who is on here (and was involved with the big flag at Hampden just recently, despite living in Portsmouth. JM are you out there???)

Edited by King of the North

AllyjamboDerbyshire

Both schools, Moray House Primary and Portobello High played rugby so no schools football for me. Was very privileged to play for United Crossroads BC for 3 years at under 15, 16 and 17 age groups. Will never forget the trainer and founder, Eric Gardner, and the stars who turned up for training, John Greig, Sandy Jardine, Alan Anderson and quite a few more. Remember too getting kicked off the 2 a-side pitch we had at the gym in Blackfriars Street by the World Lightweight Boxing Champion, Kenny Buchanan and the joy it gave Eric Gardener as he listened on the radio to Kenny winning the first of his World Titles. The games I most remember were actually losing, for the first, and only, time that season, in a cup final at Tynecastle to a Salvesen team we'd beaten twice in the league and also the semi-finals of that cup, drawing 4-4 with Tynecastle on the Wednesday, then winning 7-4 in a gale on the Saturday before turning out in the final on the Monday. Eric Carruthers played for the Tyncastle side, though missed the semi replay due to an accident on a bike that morning (true) lol and Paul hegarty scored one of Salvesen's goals in the final. Great memories indeed and thanks to the OP for giving me cause to walk down Memory Lane :thumbsup:

I wonder if anybody on here remembers these games!

moonraker

Despite living darn sarf for 23 years I recently ran a course in Scotland. One of my delegates turned out to have played against me donkeys years ago.

He had played in Goals for Hutchie /Tynie Hearts / Scotland Schools. Our discussions got me thinking along similar lines and very nostalgic.

You might want to pull up a chair and pour yourself a cup of tea as this might take some time.

Started of at 25th BB's

Portobello United Under 13-15 Goalie was Ian McLaren who signed for Hearts and went on to play Juniors for (I think) Linlithgow Rose

Queens Park boys Club under 16- 21. Played a blinder in trial for Edinburgh Under 18 Select and kept Eamon Bannon out of starting line up for game against Fife

Went to school at Portobello High. Team at that time contained Ian McLaren (again) but he played up front as we also had Drew Brand who played one first team game for Everton years later. As he conceded five goals he never played for them again. Chris Robertson also played up front He signed for Rangers then played for Hearts more famous as brother of John. Also Gordon Grandison who signed with Hearts played. Got to final of Scottish cup

I played final year at Under 21 with Cavalry Park

On Saturdays I played for Gilmerton Violet in Lothian Amateurs Mid/East div. Then Leith Victoria in Edinburgh Amateur Premier ( I have heard a rumour that big Andy Gibson who is older than me still playes fives, his daughter who used to post on here might be along soon to confirm I broke their table in a drunken state) Knightsridge Thistle Lothian Amateur Prem.

On Sundays I played for Port Villa in the Maybury Premier League and CSA in the Health board league

Midweek I used to play for BT Telesales FC in the Scottish Industries Sports association, a guy called Bill Aitken who was on or had been on Rangers books also played. (For those who know the General on here, he was a classy libero in that team but could not tackle a white pudding supper)

Moved to Swindonat age of 30 Played for West Swindon Reserves in Swindon and District Premier League and first team in Wilts League moved to Raychem in Wilts League then back to West Swindon in Wilts League from div 2 up to 1. Team folded I retired aged about 45

Made comeback in Swindon Sunday League div 7 with Village Inn FC Played 3 years finishing in div 4 retired just short of 50th birthday.

Made comeback at age 52 played 2 seasons for Cartus FC

Last Sunda,y Cartus changed name to AFC Greendown pre season training started I got given a signing on form should I sign it now or wait till after I am 54?

And they all lived happily ever after.

Edited by moonraker

Der Kaiser

Eskmills Boys Club.........

Terribly run fitba team during my time. Each team had about 6 coaches and they took roughly 20-22 boys (sometimes more!) to every game home and away so always loads of kids travelling there, getting the kit on only to stand at the side of a fitba pitch for 90 minutes. My own story is a real tale of woe. I played RB. One of the coaches sons played right back......he was mince, I was better but was always going to be 2nd choice. My old man tore a strip off one of the coaches once saying the RB was pure gash and it was quite clear he was only being played cos of his Dad. Got promised a start the next week and played full 90.......later turns out the guy was on holiday with his son that week anyway!!

Quit after going all the way to Dunbar one saturday, Came on as a sub....for our Centre Forward?....my old man timed it.....played less than 60 seconds before the final whistle during which time the Centre half of the other team told me he was gonna break my legs? Came off the pitch and told the manager I quit....broke my heart at the time (cue violins and shot of me throwing top on the ground and walking off into the sunset....I'm slightly out of focus....but the club badge can be seen on a dirty fitba top).

Whole club was dire. Went on summer football trips with all the teams and coaches were always disappearing into the pubs leaving kids to wait outside for hours with a packet of crisps and a can of juice. On one trip bus I was on, they wanted to have a whip round for the driver to encourage him to floor it up the motorway back to Penicuik before the pubs closed. Realised later why so many coaches had red faces all the time....jakeys.

The White Cockade

Gracemount Primary

Gracemount Rovers Boys Club U13

Back in the early 70's

hughesie27

Not seen any folk my age contributing :(. Maybe they are still in my back pocket?

tommythejambo

A pretty unillustrious career, which started of as a fledging right winger (Royal High Primary about 1998 til 2001).

Went to high school as a goalkeeper (Cavalry park for about 2 or 3 years, then Spartans for one towards the end). Played for Porty a wee bit in 6th year, as a forward, for about 2 games.

After leaving school I played for Leith for a bit at 19s and 21s (I think, I genuinely can't remember if I was with them at 19s). I'm not gonna lie, I was pretty gash (for gash read:ridiculously unfit) and often sub keeper, if I wasn't starting I often asked to not get stripped so I could go to the pub, although I did play a bit in pre-season and at the start of the season they won the u-21s Scottish cup, but quit before their cup run started.

Edited by tommythejambo

blairdin

19th Leith Boys Brigade around 77-79

Tremendous. You must have played with Stewart Mitchell's lot or thereabouts?

I played for the 19th 1989 to 1994, won the Pentland Cup at Letham in 1993 and 1994.

Jim Tweedie is still a close family friend, the most likeable grumpy ******* I know!

bobskeldon

Both schools, Moray House Primary and Portobello High played rugby so no schools football for me. Was very privileged to play for United Crossroads BC for 3 years at under 15, 16 and 17 age groups. Will never forget the trainer and founder, Eric Gardner, and the stars who turned up for training, John Greig, Sandy Jardine, Alan Anderson and quite a few more. Remember too getting kicked off the 2 a-side pitch we had at the gym in Blackfriars Street by the World Lightweight Boxing Champion, Kenny Buchanan and the joy it gave Eric Gardener as he listened on the radio to Kenny winning the first of his World Titles. The games I most remember were actually losing, for the first, and only, time that season, in a cup final at Tynecastle to a Salvesen team we'd beaten twice in the league and also the semi-finals of that cup, drawing 4-4 with Tynecastle on the Wednesday, then winning 7-4 in a gale on the Saturday before turning out in the final on the Monday. Eric Carruthers played for the Tyncastle side, though missed the semi replay due to an accident on a bike that morning (true) lol and Paul hegarty scored one of Salvesen's goals in the final. Great memories indeed and thanks to the OP for giving me cause to walk down Memory Lane :thumbsup:

The wee gym up the stairs was where the winners got free 'canteen' i.e. juice, crisps etc Do you remember that?

Also during the summer months we played/trained in the school playground at the back. Happy Days indeed.

cliffdanum

Gilmerton primary

Gracemount Secondary in the 70s

Squadron/Regimental in the army, aswell as a all military based team in German sunday league...(league/team probalbly equivilant to Spartans level)

Rudolf's Mate

I remember the Jim Leishman character. I actually didnt think it was him either, in fact still not sure it was... he may have been winding you up. I think he was some boy with white hair and a tache who was involved with the juvenile league set up. Could be wrong though.

As for the pen incident, mind is a bit hazy, but were both teams sent to their own penalty boxes to 'calm down' or was that a different game?

I know of at least one other member of that St Bernards team who is on here (and was involved with the big flag at Hampden just recently, despite living in Portsmouth. JM are you out there???)

Haha that's the one!

The pen with both teams getting sent to own penalty boxes was a different game however it was immediately after the Celtic game. We came off the park against Celtic and they told us we had to play some team called Ajax! Obviously not the Dutch team. I'm ashamed to say that the incident you are talking about was due to me being decked in the box with our manager (Brian?) pulling us off the park in disgust. I ran back on the pitch and lamped the boy who felled me only to be chased by the whole team before everyone else got involved.

Game was nearly abandoned and a policeman grabbed me saying he could have nicked me for what had happened with me replying "but I'm only 15 officer".

Yep, it's me JM :D

dunxjambo

Towerbank Primary

Portobello High (with David Bowman, Ian McLaren, Chris Robertson and Drew Brand although i can only vaguely recollect the last two and a very young John Robertson)

Queens Park BC now defunct

Pentland Thistle now defunct

ROS now defunct

there's a theme starting here..............

Newtongrange Star A &

Newtongrange Star (briefly)

i like to think that i took over Zico's spot in Nitten's team if only briefly. :lol:

Edited by dunxjambo

J Cheever Loophole

Boys Clubs

Livingston Thistle u11's-u16's

ICI Juveniles U18's

Murieston United U21's

Central Scotland (step before Scottish Schoolboys)

School

Inveralmond High School

West Lothian Schools

Trained at Hearts Under 12/13 (Guy called John was coach and Scott Crabbe helped aswell) around 90-91 and With Falkirk around 91-94.(Peter Houston and John Blackley were coaches)

From training with Hearts and Falkirk only a few guys seemed to "make it", Andy Seton ex-Falkirk, Robbie Horn ex-Hearts and a few guys in lower division, Gordon Ross the Rugby internationalist was at Hearts when i was there aswell.

Would this"John" be John Darrien?Wee guy with dark hair.I was helping a mate flit a wee while back,his birds dad was helping and when football and me following Hearts was mentioned he told me he used to help out with the Youth Development at Tynie.Wonder if it's the same guy.He his a shellik man but I found him sound, like.

moonraker

Towerbank Primary

Portobello High (with David Bowman, Ian McLaren, Chris Robertson and Drew Brand although i can only vaguely recollect the last two and a very young John Robertson)

Queens Park BC now defunct

Pentland Thistle now defunct

ROS now defunct

there's a theme starting here..............

Newtongrange Star A &

Newtongrange Star (briefly)

i like to think that i took over Zico's spot in Nitten's team if only briefly. :lol:

Was Dougie Croll the manager at that time?

baldybannon

played for inch primary when we lost the epssa cup final to balgreen captained who were captained by gary mckay. also played for inch boys club at the same time tynecastle and salveson dominated the scene in edinburgh. gary mckay, davy bowman, gordon marshall just a few of the biys around at the time so we were up against it. we did win a couple of trophys and played against tynie and salvy many times in semi finals and finals. they were so much betetr then us but it was great to beat them in one off games

Jambomullins
1341994053[/url]' post='3034325']

Played for Peebles Thistle from 1985-1992 and Peebles High School from 1992-1994. Also played for Kingsland Primary School from 1986-1988.

Spooky, almost the same time as me

willie wallace

I played with Paul Hegarty at Tynecastle under 18s where Crossroads were our big rivals.I aso played for St.Bernards where Buchanans brother either played for us or coached us.Kenny came down a couple of times and gave us a bit of trainng.

Fun Boaby

Woodburn United (pre-the child molesting years)

Dalkeith Thistle Boys Club (joining on the same night as the" Mr Webb in the swimming pool" event)

School team was shite so I told them to stick it up their arse

Dr. Sheldon Cooper

Not seen any folk my age contributing :(. Maybe they are still in my back pocket?

My 'career' spanned over the early to mid 2000s. Doubt I played against you though as it reads like you were a decent player :lol:.

Edited by Jambo Ian 1874

gorgiestu

Been at Edinburgh City since 2000, playing my school trade with Craigmount along the way!

ecjambo

West Lothian born here so began with Calder Thistle - mid 90s to about 2000. We had one of, if not the best team at 7 asides but couldn't really make the step up to 11s and only lasted a couple of years. Then went to Bankton for about a year but never really settled in.

That was it until a couple of friendlies for AFC Torphichen a few years ago, but could not put up with the shit that goes with playing in a Sunday league team. Might be back one day as I'm naturally quite fit. Running is more my game now though!

Walter Bishop

Would this"John" be John Darrien?Wee guy with dark hair.I was helping a mate flit a wee while back,his birds dad was helping and when football and me following Hearts was mentioned he told me he used to help out with the Youth Development at Tynie.Wonder if it's the same guy.He his a shellik man but I found him sound, like.

Cant mind his second name but was wee with dark hair, drove a beetle possibly???

wishawjambo

played for wishaw ex servicemans boys club two ex motherwell players were our coaches harry dixon and gus boyle we made a cup final and jimmy bell the rangers kitman took us to it in the rangers team bus cos his boy played for us lol played for coltness high school alongside ex hearts player derek holmes we had ex rangers player roger hynd as manager and pe teacher if you were shit big roger or papa arnie as we called him slapped you about those were the days

JamboBen

Cutting through the haze to try and remember it all ( or where it all went wrong! )

Craiglockhart Primary 82-86

Salvesen Boys Club u10s - u15s ... had a few players over the years .... Kevin Thomas ( mind o him!?!?!? ) Tommy Harrison ( Dunfermline ), Kev and Gary Locke :thumbsup:( Gary was a stand oot in those days )

Rangers Youth under 11s and Dundee Utd Youth under 12s

Edinburgh Thistle u16s - u18s ( later changed name to Ainslie Park )

Tranent u 21s

St Bernards u 21s but really couldnae be ersed by that stage!!!

Tynecastle High School tho never had a team til 4th year cos the teachers refused to take the team or something ( think it was Mr Chung who relented )

finished off playing saturday amateur for Tynecastle Star

You are indeed Correct it was Mr Chung who took the school team, Craiglockhart Primary also I am bound to ken you mate.

Went to both School's around the same time

hectornicol

Sorry not looked through all the posts.

Primary School

Preston Street 1975-77

Secondary Boroughmuir 1977( I was that shite at rugby they made an exception and let me play for the 2nd Year team)

Secondary 1978- 82 Portobello High( played in same team as Robbo)

Juvenile/Boys Clubs: Tyncastle BC, Northfield BC, North Merchiston, Cavalry Park

From then on several amateur clubs Sat & Sun Leagues until my wife retired me Age 27( Far too young for a goalie

kylelauren01

played for inch primary when we lost the epssa cup final to balgreen captained who were captained by gary mckay. also played for inch boys club at the same time tynecastle and salveson dominated the scene in edinburgh. gary mckay, davy bowman, gordon marshall just a few of the biys around at the time so we were up against it. we did win a couple of trophys and played against tynie and salvy many times in semi finals and finals. they were so much betetr then us but it was great to beat them in one off games

Who took the Inch Primary School team you played in - was it the janny, Mr Saunders and Eddie Hobbs?

J.T.F.Robertson

Excellent thread - read it all. We have a few players on JKB.

Modest career from me - Craiglockhart Primary School 63 to 66.

The number of times we played on a sodden Meggetland with a leather ball that weighed 30 kg.

Still there were a few high points. To witness the power and skill ( and studs ) of Souness at 8:10 on a freezing November morning.

As I was a clever *******, I was "sent" to Boroughmuir. No football and I refused to play rugby. I did play basketball. High points were a handful of games for Edinburgh schools in 68 and a failed trial for Scotland. But maybe the high point was revenge on Souness who played basketball for Forrester secondary school. We thrashed them several times over two or three years.

Meggetland was our (Darroch) home field.

Our coach was the P.E. teacher, Walter Roy, who played for Peebles Rovers at the time and had the dubious distinction of being part of the side beaten 15-1 in the SC by hubz, back in '61.

He was the subject of much abuse on the Monday. :whistling:

P.S. The plan was for me to go on to Boroughmuir following my second year, but having made a bunch of mates by that time, plus, it being rugby only, I opted out of the arrangement.

Maw and Paw were not amused.