BarneyBattles

What boys / school team did you play for and when?

hughesie27

I can confirm young hughesie was indeed a decent player. Canny mind making him captain though :-)

Mike?! :blink:

GRL1969

Can't have been as tidy/outrageously sexy as Miss Smith at Porty?

:ruiner:

Haha Miss Smiths was the only class in school that all the guys sat at the front. Ooft!! Sad day when she married that ugly bassa Kay.

HMS Jambo

Gilmerton primary, Gracemount High and Inch House boys club. All from 93 to 97.

Retired at the grand age of 14 despite one player of the year award under my belt!

Made a brief comeback for Edmonstone Inn Sunday league about 9 years ago but that was short lived!

Jambomullins

Peebles Thistle Peebles high school

1988-95

Great Peebles Thistle team won the Edinburgh u-17's leagues in 1995. Nobody made it professional but we used to kick some arse none the less.

BarneyBattles

Never knew that about Moog. Him & Felly were in quite a few of my classes at school. Your right though Moog was a great player. There was a photo on facebook recently with a photo of the teams your talking about. If youve not seen it look it up. Im sure Banksy is tagged in it so it will probably be on his profile page.

I was great mates with moog, he was a bit of a goth around the time he got knocked over / trained with hibs. Alex Miller at hibs told him he would be in the youth cup squad for a particular game if he cut his hair (longish, crimped at the time). moog basically told him to bolt and Miller backed down and still put him in the quad as he really was looking like making it. From memory the game was going to be on a Thursday night and he got knocked over on the Wednesday or Thursday morning on Princes st. Wasn't life threatening or anything but hit by a car, knee took the impact, over the bonnet, a few nights in hospital, stookie etc, weak knee, game over.

A shame as he was never bigheaded about his ability, he just loved football and mixing it up with plenty skill too.

I kind of knew Felly over the years and am on nodding terms with him now but he was never a mate but at least he played and scored for the team he supported, not many can say that.

Floyd

Started playing for Cathkin United under 9's as a right footed left back alongside Darren Young, who played for Aberdeen, Dundee, Dunfermline & currently plays under Sir Paul at Alloa. When we moved up to under 10's his younger brother Derek played in the same team, similar career for Derek, both really nice lads and still bump into them occassionally.

Played for Cathkin Primary in P6 & P7 as a right winger in a front three or second striker when we went two up top.

Went to Cathkin High and played left back in S1, S2 & S3 before being dropped for my 'questionable' disciplinary record on the pitch. Had a big barney with the PE teacher who took the decision and was told in no uncertain terms that I would never play for the school again.

Played with Darren & Derek again and a few other boys who were picked up on S forms but did no more or ended up playing juniors at best.

I fell out of football for a year or so after being dropped but later returned playing under 17's & 18's for Springhall as a left back initially and then later as a second striker and then some cameo appearances as a centre mid for my mates team Lea Rig/Haghill when they were short of bodies as I entered my mid 20's.

Still play fives a couple of times a week but haven't played 11's in about 2 years. :sob:

Edited by Floyd

ArcticJambo

I was great mates with moog, he was a bit of a goth around the time he got knocked over / trained with hibs. Alex Miller at hibs told him he would be in the youth cup squad for a particular game if he cut his hair (longish, crimped at the time). moog basically told him to bolt and Miller backed down and still put him in the quad as he really was looking like making it. From memory the game was going to be on a Thursday night and he got knocked over on the Wednesday or Thursday morning on Princes st. Wasn't life threatening or anything but hit by a car, knee took the impact, over the bonnet, a few nights in hospital, stookie etc, weak knee, game over.

A shame as he was never bigheaded about his ability, he just loved football and mixing it up with plenty skill too.

I kind of knew Felly over the years and am on nodding terms with him now but he was never a mate but at least he played and scored for the team he supported, not many can say that.

- 86 onwards, mainly maybury league followed by bevvy, fags and birds?

Anyone a peer of mine?

BB

Good stories BB ... needed reminding as the bold above always played it's part.

Sadly it was just really long-bangers at Porty golf-course for this wannabe.

Edited by ArcticJambo

Jeremy beagle

GWC School Team

Gorgie Vale

Tall Oaks

I was pretty garbage!

AyrJambo

Parsons Green Primary 1971 -72

41st BB out of Duddingston around the same time till I was expelled!

Crossroads around 1972-73

Then secondary which in my case was a "rugger" schoool

Still playing 5s and 7s weekly and thinking of joining local over 35s team

BarneyBattles

Good stories BB ... needed reminding as the bold above always played it's part.

Sadly it was just really long-bangers at Porty golf-course for this wannabe.

You must have some good sporting stories about playing polo (or hiding from the boys who wanted to bum you!) whilst scoffing swan sannies at heriots (heriots ra ra ra) no? At least their scarf was maroon and white!

Despite my footballing ability (and I hope I'm not over egging it!) my favourite game was always a game of long bangers or crossing! Liked 11 a side, had little time for 5 a side, loved just smacking a ball about!

AyrJambo

You must have some good sporting stories about playing polo (or hiding from the boys who wanted to bum you!) whilst scoffing swan sannies at heriots (heriots ra ra ra) no? At least their scarf was maroon and white!

Despite my footballing ability (and I hope I'm not over egging it!) my favourite game was always a game of long bangers or crossing! Liked 11 a side, had little time for 5 a side, loved just smacking a ball about!

That was George Watson's. Heriots was dark blue and white

GRL1969

Just checked and the photos i spoke about earlier were posted onto facebook by Alan Robertson if your interested.

munro9

Parsons Green (mid 70s)

Portobello High

Northfield BC

Queens Park BC

Northfield BC

United Crossroads (with the legendary Eric Gardiner )

BarneyBattles

That was George Watson's. Heriots was dark blue and white

A classic example of the mists of time muddling the old brain. A quick google shows you are correct but I remember Arctic jambo telling me years ago that the only reason he didn't get a kicking off of well known porty bammer / bully Stevie Scott on a 26 bus one day was because he had a maroon and white scarf on - I presume you were going to a game and not to school then AJ!

BarneyBattles

Just checked and the photos i spoke about earlier were posted onto facebook by Alan Robertson if your interested.

I'm not on facebook mate - no sure how to work that!

Rudolf's Mate

Boroughmuir

St Bernard's 86-90

Guernsey Rovers

Guernsey Rangers

Cruciate injury = fat bassa & game over :sob:

Drewjambobusby

Parsons Green (mid 70s)

Portobello High

Northfield BC

Queens Park BC

Northfield BC

United Crossroads (with the legendary Eric Gardiner )

Jesus there is a name from the past Eric Gardiner. The old gym down the royal Mile with the tiny goals lol.

Coached some great players i.e John.Greig and Roy Kay etc.

My Roll of Shame was :

Murrayburn Primary 1972- 1974

Forrester High School 1974-1977

United Crossroads under 15`s 1975-1976

Lost to the Bevvy for a few years lol

Telman Star Under 21`s 1981-1983

Ariel Travel "Sunday Churches League" - Great Team

And various other teams in Sunday Leagues.

Played with great players in my time. Sadly i was not one of them. More of a Journeyman Amateur lol.

Edited by Drewjambobusby

Munch

Was just thinking, there must be folk on here who played with / against each other when they were kids.

What was your playing CV?

Mine was:

- Easthouses Boys club (around 77 to 83).

- Langlaw primary and Newbattle High (around 78-83).

- Porty High (83-86) - great team, included Alan Banks (played for Meadowbank/Alloa and a few others) and Willie Miller (Hibs right back fi Bingham). We were

undefeated in the league for a couple of years and got to the Scottish cup semis etc. Miller was probably the weakest link in our defence but definitely had the most

drive and commitment - e.g. he regularly shunned a slug of the pre-match can of lager on the bus up from porty high to calvary park playing fields - pussy.

- United Crossroads 83-86.

- 86 onwards, mainly maybury league followed by bevvy, fags and birds?

Anyone a peer of mine?

Windsor got the job of marking David Bowman i never touched the ball. :blink:

BB

Apache Mal

St John Vianney (1991-1993) School Board Cup, B Shield, A League Winners

Liberton High (1993-1999) League and League Cup Winners, Forresters were 2nd with McGregor in goals.

Fernieside BC (1990-1991)

Glenpark BC (1991-93)

Inch BC (1993-1994)

Fernieside BC (1994-1997)

Boys club dates might be out a bit.

Dr. Sheldon Cooper

Played for Tall Oaks/Civil Service Strollers for a good few years. Turned up for training twice a week but didn't really get on with the coach so he never picked me, despite one of the other coaches telling him to do so on a regular basis.

In terms of my school days, got the occasional game for Gylemuir B team (the A team was one of the best in the country in my year group - won pretty much everything there was to win) including a game in goals which was interesting to say the least. My first game was away to Oxgangs in P5. We won 10-4 and I came off the bench and lobbed the goalie with my first touch :verysmug:.

We went down to a Sunderland game in P6 and in the morning, we got split into three teams and played a local boys club. I scored but it got disallowed and got booked for calling the ref a clown :vrface:. The worst thing was that it was the dad of one of the lads in the team.

Played twice for Craigmount in 2nd year, a couple of fleeting substitute appearances but it never went any further after that. Just stick to 5s and the occasional kick around with mates now, I was never blessed with talent.

ArcticJambo

A classic example of the mists of time muddling the old brain. A quick google shows you are correct but I remember Arctic jambo telling me years ago that the only reason he didn't get a kicking off of well known porty bammer / bully Stevie Scott on a 26 bus one day was because he had a maroon and white scarf on - I presume you were going to a game and not to school then AJ!

Aye might have been on the way to school, or maybe when he clocked me near the mesh fence separating the fans at Tannadice one Wed night in the early eighties. :sweat:

ArcticJambo

Contrary to popular belief we had girls, though not quite as well versed in what to do with them as you lot.

... and I'm pretty certain I taught you everything you know about he art of the long banger.

Edit: err, that last bit doesn't read right. :unsure:

Edited by ArcticJambo

Shapes

Kirkliston bc

Tall oaks bc

Inverkeithing bc

Queensferry high school

My brother played for:

KSQ (Kirkliston south queensferry)

Queensferry high (Senior team were Lothian cup winners two years on the trot :thumbsup: )

Blackburn (west lothian, not England ha)

Salveson u19s

Spartans u21s

then jacked it in to concentrate on bevvy which seems to be a common theme in this thread :lol:

Edited by Shake Twist Stomp!

AyrJambo

Contrary to popular belief we had girls, though not quite as well versed in what to do with them as you lot.

... and I'm pretty certain I taught you everything you know about he art of the long banger.

Edit: err, that last bit doesn't read right. :unsure:

Are there girls on North Baffin though?

pumaking

Hall of Shame

: Royal High Primary School - 1993-1994. League and Cup double winners. Had great games Versus local rivals Duddingston.

Gary Fusco and Richard walker. Being the players who made the grade from this team.

: Portobello High School. The S1 team played 3 games before it got cancelled.

: Portobello Thistle u'10's through to u'16's 1994-1999

: Edina Hibs. Two years at u'18's 1999-2001

Played Amateur and Pub Football for a few years later in my mid 20's.

Its amazing I loved playing when I was a kid. Hate playing the game now though. Even 5's I have no interest for.

Happy to watch and coach these days.

Gershwin

Comiston Primary 89-91 (then i left for Watson's after P5 :ninja: )

North Merchiston BC 92-94/5 (I think)

Was fairly average to be honest.

ArcticJambo

Are there girls on North Baffin though?

They'd even put the Porty lasses to shame. :ninja:

On a sidenote (somewhat) I actually ran and did relatively well in the Scottish Schools Cross Country Championship held in Ayr, or was it Irvine (ohh, the addled bevvy brain) ... blasted school that didn't do football ... then, do now ... typical. :verymad:

Lt Chard VC

I was reserve goalkeeper (my best pal Jack Allan aka Fake was No1) Newtongrange Primary 1967, Easthouses Boys club for a couple of years 67-69 and although my dad ran the team he didn't show favouritism, so I only played a few games (plus I wasn't very good)Greenhall High School until I captained the 'B' side against Mayfield Combined Primary and we lost 6-1 despite my dad being the ref! Goalkeeping career over!

My son fared much better as a goalkeeper from 1991 Pitteuchar West Primary, Glenrothes,

Fife primary schools Goalkeeper, Hibs U12 yes Hibs U12 Auchmuty High School and in youth Football Star Hearts, Rosyth Recreation (managed by a certain numpty called John Yorkston)

Benarty up to U18. When at Hibs the boys were being shown around Easter Road the groundsman asked who their favourite players were my lad proudly said Henry Smith and they also didn't like the fact he wore a Hearts top under the Hibs keeper strip :thumbsup: . He got dumped by Alex Miller [email protected] :angry:

Edited by Lt Chard VC

Ribble

Boys Club

Trained twice with Dalkeith BC but didn't like the manager so from the age of 15 played non-age restricted amateur

School

Stobhill Primary 92

Lasswade High twice around 96/97

Sunday Amateur

Coronation Inn 96-98

Eskbank Hotel somewhere around 02

Porters 03/04

Saturday Amateur

Leith Vics 99/00

Birkenside Amateurs 04-08

forrie_1

KSQ (Kirkliston south queensferry)

Played for them too while at queensferry primary

Spartans u14 to u16

Queensferry Thistle u16 to u18

Gave up and became the " paulo sergio" of queensferry primary football (so the kids like to say)

graygo

In no particular order cos it was that long ago I can't remember. whistling.gif

Danderhall Primary

Dalkeith High

24th BB's

Danderhall Boy's Club

Dalkeith Amatures (Saturday)

Mayson's Arms (Saturday)

Coach & Horses (Sunday)

Dalkeith Thistle (twice)

Hawick Royal Albert (once)

I wasn't very good. sweat.gif

systemx

Tranent PS 1972 ( made sure another player couldnt play so as I could get in the team)

1973 Tranent Colts 2games 1 own goal.2nd game played for Ormiston in second half.next four gmes played for Tranent Legionairres before retiring.

1973 S1 Ross High 1st XV Captain

1974 S2 Ross High Ist XV Captain

1975 S3 Ross High !st XV Captain

1976-77 Ross High Senior 1st XV Captain.

played rugby on Saturday mornings but watched the Jambos in the afternoon.(I dont think I was the right shape for football and you werent allowed to legally hit c"*nts)

Homme

Bathgate Rose & BP.

blairdin

I had a long, occasionally illustrious, mostly average at best career as a vertically challenged goalie. In order...

Wardie Primary School 1989 and 1990

19th Leith Boys Brigade (Letham Park) then played for Leith team in Edinburgh league.

Portland Star U14s to U16s mostly reserve goalie. Gary Mason played in the same team briefly.

Gotham City Sunday Amateur.

Merchiston U18s mostly reserve goalie (played for Gotham on Sundays)

Trinity Rose Sunday amateur

Roseburn Hearts Sunday amateur

Edinburgh Thistle Sunday amateur

Silverknowes Star Sunday amateur

A few bad cameos for Real Maroon.

heartsfan

Menstrie Primary.

Viewforth (Under 10, Under 11, Under 12).

Carse Thistle (Under 14, Under 16).

Ted (Theodore) Logan

Never mind school teams and that, didn't one of you boys no play for the mighty Carlisle United? :wow:

::troll:::'>

macca2

Broughton Primary

Broughton High

Salvesen BC

Tynecastle BC

VeraNT

Excellent thread - read it all. We have a few players on JKB.

Modest career from me - Craiglockhart Primary School 63 to 66.

The number of times we played on a sodden Meggetland with a leather ball that weighed 30 kg.

Still there were a few high points. To witness the power and skill ( and studs ) of Souness at 8:10 on a freezing November morning.

As I was a clever *******, I was "sent" to Boroughmuir. No football and I refused to play rugby. I did play basketball. High points were a handful of games for Edinburgh schools in 68 and a failed trial for Scotland. But maybe the high point was revenge on Souness who played basketball for Forrester secondary school. We thrashed them several times over two or three years.

Edited by VeraNT

the_jailer

Oxgangs p.s

captains cabin

libby high

hutchie vale

berwick rangers

whitehill welfare

played for edinburgh school boys with ian murray and alan mcgregor

jamboozy

Larbert village ps 1968-69, didn't make the high school team as i had a morning & night paper round to get money so's i could follow the mighty JT's, played at inside left, :D old school me.

Smith&Weston

Duddingston 87-92

Portobello 92-98

Liberton BC

Porty Th

Hutchie Vale

Musselburgh Windsor

Links Utd

Easthouses 21s

Edina 21s

Ormiston.

Craigroyston

Tranent juniors

Sarah O

Manchester United

Barcelona

Hearts

Then i got too boozy.

:sob:

smare14

Stenhouse ps

Craigmount hs 97-03

Crammond bc

Edinburgh city

Salvesen

Civil service strollers

Hutchie vale

Radge21

Inch primary school, now Liberton primary school.

Won an Epsaa cup medal beating Craigmillar primary in the final 1973-1974.

My only medal ever.

The Epsaa cup was for the smaller primary schools.

Played for Liberton high school in 1st year.

Then turned to burds and cheap cider.

The career went doon the plug hole.

The_razors_edge

Mike?! :blink:

Got it in 1 :-)

Snake Plissken

I was initially an unskilled but athletic defender and sometime goalkeeper when our regular no.1 was away in my early days.

Royals FC (part of the Elgin Boys League) 1 league medal, two cup medals 1999-2000

Lossiemouth High School 1996-2002

I played as a keeper for a number of fives teams for a few years before getting back into 11-a-side matches in 2009.

I normally play as a goalkeeper but I've had a handful of cameos in midfield for both sides below.

Real Maroon 2009-11

Inter Busan 2012-present

Guest C00l K1d

Dunedin BC

Spartans (inverleith star)

Hutchie

Played for Broughton high school aswell 05-10 roughly

Cairneyhill Jambo

Linlithgow Primary 1978-1982 Played in the same team as Grant McMartin who played for Dundee, St Johnstone, and Livingston. Only lost 1 game in two seasons.

Linlithgow Academy 1983-84

Swan Tavern, Linlithgow - Played in the West Lothian section of the Maybury League 1989-1992.

Still play the occasional 5 a sides but my knees are knackered now.

Edited by Cairneyhill Jambo

HampdenHearts

I would be here all day, been through more clubs than tiger woods!

Schools : Sciennes, Gillespies, Boroughmuir.

Clubs : Beechwood, Eskmills, North Merchie, Salvie, Leith, Liberton, Inch, Edinburgh City, Longniddry Villa.

dougal

Played for Peebles Thistle from 1985-1992 and Peebles High School from 1992-1994. Also played for Kingsland Primary School from 1986-1988.