Jump to content
BarneyBattles

What boys / school team did you play for and when?

Recommended Posts

moonraker
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, bobskeldon said:

I played for Port Villa around 81/82/83. I think the crossover between PV and LV started with Jimmy Batten and Stevie Crumlish?

 

Know them well. Other names at the time apart from Laurie and Malc Tulloch and the above mentioned Jimmy and Stevie were Joe Johnson, Billy Malcom, George Droudge, Billy Turner, Probably Davie Greig and , Brian Lee, Think Alan Young was goalie, Tony Fusco,  Graeme Turner (Tumshie) Gary Handiside. Always in contention for cups and leagues around then but I never won anything with them. (Jinx)

Edited by moonraker

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
bobskeldon
2 hours ago, moonraker said:

 

Know them well. Other names at the time apart from Laurie and Malc Tulloch and the above mentioned Jimmy and Stevie were Joe Johnson, Billy Malcom, George Droudge, Billy Turner, Probably Davie Greig and , Brian Lee, Think Alan Young was goalie, Tony Fusco,  Graeme Turner (Tumshie) Gary Handiside. Always in contention for cups and leagues around then but I never won anything with them. (Jinx)

Yes, I played with Joe, Mal, Tony and Billy. I used to hang about with Joe and Mal when I lived in Bingham years before PV and I knew Tony from HS.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Locky

Sciennes primary, 2002-04 roughly. I was shite but I played with a lad (good mate) who was good and he got signed by Aberdeen. Sadly, it didn't work out. Bevvy, fags etc. But cracking player.

 

Never really played at high school as I moved down to Hawick and there was just no interest. All the sporty lads wanted to play rugby. There was 2 teams per age group, yet nae football.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Jambo_in_Madrid
Posted (edited)
I grew up in Peffermill and later moved to Northfield around 1982 when I was a teenager, and I played for:-
 
Prestonfield Primary 1978 - 80, where we were coached by a local policeman, PC Gilles
Portobello Thistle 1979 - 81
Castlebrae High School 1982 - 86
  • We have a few decent players some of who were training with Dundee United, the pick of the bunch being Joe McLeod  (a big Hearts fan) who went on to play for Dundee United, Motherwell, and various Scotland youth teams. 
  • The highlight of my career is probably losing to Craigroyston HS in the semi-final of the Scottish Cup, Scott Nisbett of Rangers scored both their goals that day.
  • Once that team disbanded around 1984 I was still young enough to play for the lower age group team and played alongside Alan McLaren, we were central defence partners for a while. Alan was a cracking good lad and an excellent player.
Northfield Boys Club 1984 - 86
Central AFC/Broadfields 1991 - 93 (John Brough used to coach us for a while, he was a seriously witty guy)
 
After that it's been mostly burds, bevvy and a mixture of 5 and 7 a side teams in Dalgety Bay, Alicante and Madrid up till I was about 40 .... :)
 
Edited by Jambo_in_Madrid

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
buzzbomb
1 hour ago, Jambo_in_Madrid said:
I grew up in Peffermill and later moved to Northfield around 1982 when I was a teenager, and I played for:-
 
Prestonfield Primary 1978 - 80, where we were coached by a local policeman, PC Gilles
Portobello Thistle 1979 - 81
Castlebrae High School 1982 - 86
  • We have a few decent players some of who were training with Dundee United, the pick of the bunch being Joe McLeod  (a big Hearts fan) who went on to play for Dundee United, Motherwell, and various Scotland youth teams. 
  • The highlight of my career is probably losing to Craigroyston HS in the semi-final of the Scottish Cup, Scott Nisbett of Rangers scored both their goals that day.
  • Once that team disbanded around 1984 I was still young enough to play for the lower age group team and played alongside Alan McLaren, we were central defence partners for a while. Alan was a cracking good lad and an excellent player.
Northfield Boys Club 1984 - 86
Central AFC/Broadfields 1991 - 93 (John Brough used to coach us for a while, he was a seriously witty guy)
 
After that it's been mostly burds, bevvy and a mixture of 5 and 7 a side teams in Dalgety Bay, Alicante and Madrid up till I was about 40 .... :)
 

I.C...?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23851

Played in the Dalkeith High School team which won the Scottish Schools under 16 shield in 1966 beating Musselburgh Grammar 2-1 in the final at Easter Road. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Ribble

No idea if i've posted on this thread before or not but not trawling through 13 pages!

 

Stobhill Primary up to 92 - Played a handful of games as a centre half for some reason (I was a keeper) but or teacher wasn't really interested and we got hammered (13-0 against loretto sticks in the mind)

 

Lasswade High School 93-98 - Only played once, by the time I was old enough/good enough to play for the school I had a saturday job, one time I did play at the behest of the PE teacher who ran the team (also played for Alloa) and took a day's holiday. Utter waste of a holiday, 1st round Scottish Cup tie against the holders, St Margrets from Livi, pricks failed to mention that they had a full size astro and we all turned up with studded boots, I played wearing a pair of kickers shoes ffs, they were all running about in Cica blades!

 

Outside school I never played age group football, was all amateur

 

15-17 - Sunday League with the Coronation in Gorebridge

18-19 - Saturday amateur with Leith Vics (was the closest I can to boys club as they nearly sent me on loan to Edina 21's before one of the other keepers quit so I was kept as backup to the 1st choice that had just been signed from Dunbar Juniors)

Spend 4/5 years in my 20's with Porters in gorebridge starting in Sunday league before the team moved to Saturdays as Birkenside. Spent more time helping out with the team than actually playing.

Since then i've had two brief stints with clubs, one helping out run Athletico Northfield on a sunday after a request for help on here and then about 5 years ago I signed with Whitson Star for a few games at the end of the season before they folded.

 

100% retired now 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Gorgie Boot boy
On 16/07/2012 at 22:14, Budgie. said:

 

Haha! Yeah, I remember Haggis.

 

There was a guy who used to post under the name haggis on here a few years back, always wondered if it was him.

I remember a Jambo called Haggis he went to Craigshill high, used to be on our supports bus.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Gorgie Boot boy

I played for Colinton BBs .

Colinton primary aged 9-10 

Age 11-14 Played for Senden fC  in Germany,

6 games Tynecastle Boys Club 

Deans high School and west lothian schools select.

Trials with West Ham Hearts and Portsmouth.

injured in a cup final v Edina Hibs

Didn't play for two years.

Played for the Harvester bar 

Boghall Aces

DB Marshalls Chuncky Chicks sunday foorball.

Jacked it in as my knee was ****ed.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
TypoonJambo
On 09/04/2020 at 13:52, Jambo_in_Madrid said:
I grew up in Peffermill and later moved to Northfield around 1982 when I was a teenager, and I played for:-
 
Prestonfield Primary 1978 - 80, where we were coached by a local policeman, PC Gilles
Portobello Thistle 1979 - 81
Castlebrae High School 1982 - 86
  • We have a few decent players some of who were training with Dundee United, the pick of the bunch being Joe McLeod  (a big Hearts fan) who went on to play for Dundee United, Motherwell, and various Scotland youth teams. 
  • The highlight of my career is probably losing to Craigroyston HS in the semi-final of the Scottish Cup, Scott Nisbett of Rangers scored both their goals that day.
  • Once that team disbanded around 1984 I was still young enough to play for the lower age group team and played alongside Alan McLaren, we were central defence partners for a while. Alan was a cracking good lad and an excellent player.
Northfield Boys Club 1984 - 86
Central AFC/Broadfields 1991 - 93 (John Brough used to coach us for a while, he was a seriously witty guy)
 
After that it's been mostly burds, bevvy and a mixture of 5 and 7 a side teams in Dalgety Bay, Alicante and Madrid up till I was about 40 .... :)
 

You still in Madrid mate? If so stay safe. I hear the bugs pretty bad there at the moment. Great city. I lived in Pozuelo, right next to Casa de Campo from 2013-16.loved it. Now in Andalucía. Like i said, stay safe. 

On topic though, i played for Craigroyston but before your time, even before Strachan, and only the seconds. 

Edited by TypoonJambo

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Tynecastlesmychurch

Royal mile primary. Around 2007ish

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Carl Fredrickson
On 27/03/2020 at 14:06, upgotheheads said:

 

Oh! sorry to hear that. I didn't know him very well, the only connection was that we dated the same girl on a couple of occasions, he might have been in the year below me at school. To die so young when you've been a top class sportsman is really tragic. The same goes for Bruce Hay who I knew slightly.

 

If this is the rugby player then we was my dads apprentice when he started as an electrician. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
TurboT
On ‎09‎/‎04‎/‎2020 at 15:14, Ribble said:

No idea if i've posted on this thread before or not but not trawling through 13 pages!

 

Stobhill Primary up to 92 - Played a handful of games as a centre half for some reason (I was a keeper) but or teacher wasn't really interested and we got hammered (13-0 against loretto sticks in the mind)

 

Lasswade High School 93-98 - Only played once, by the time I was old enough/good enough to play for the school I had a saturday job, one time I did play at the behest of the PE teacher who ran the team (also played for Alloa) and took a day's holiday. Utter waste of a holiday, 1st round Scottish Cup tie against the holders, St Margrets from Livi, pricks failed to mention that they had a full size astro and we all turned up with studded boots, I played wearing a pair of kickers shoes ffs, they were all running about in Cica blades!

 

Outside school I never played age group football, was all amateur

 

15-17 - Sunday League with the Coronation in Gorebridge

18-19 - Saturday amateur with Leith Vics (was the closest I can to boys club as they nearly sent me on loan to Edina 21's before one of the other keepers quit so I was kept as backup to the 1st choice that had just been signed from Dunbar Juniors)

Spend 4/5 years in my 20's with Porters in gorebridge starting in Sunday league before the team moved to Saturdays as Birkenside. Spent more time helping out with the team than actually playing.

Since then i've had two brief stints with clubs, one helping out run Athletico Northfield on a sunday after a request for help on here and then about 5 years ago I signed with Whitson Star for a few games at the end of the season before they folded.

 

100% retired now 

 

I think I may have joined Leith Vics not long after you as I'm sure the goalie from Dunbar Juniors was Scott Murray.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Dusk_Till_Dawn

3rd and fifth and Eskmills in Penicuik. Hated the YM, they were dicks.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Ribble
29 minutes ago, TurboT said:

I think I may have joined Leith Vics not long after you as I'm sure the goalie from Dunbar Juniors was Scott Murray.

 

It was indeed big Scott, I was only there a year but there ended up being a few of us from Gorebridge there that season

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
upgotheheads
22 hours ago, Carl Fredrickson said:

 

If this is the rugby player then we was my dads apprentice when he started as an electrician. 

 

That would be right, Bilston Glen?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
PapaShango

I played with Gala Fairydean U16's. I was never good enough to make it, was better at rugby than I was at footy but hated it. One of the lads in the side went to play for Cowdenbeath and Alloa. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
TurboT
1 hour ago, Ribble said:

 

It was indeed big Scott, I was only there a year but there ended up being a few of us from Gorebridge there that season

Small world, I was living in Mayfield for a bit and got a lift to the games with Scott & Roddy who were from Gorebridge

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Ribble
6 minutes ago, TurboT said:

Small world, I was living in Mayfield for a bit and got a lift to the games with Scott & Roddy who were from Gorebridge

 

Yeah used to get a lift with them too, was good mates with Roddy and had played sunday morning with him before we were at the vics 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Carl Fredrickson
1 hour ago, upgotheheads said:

 

That would be right, Bilston Glen?

 

It sure was. We got tickets to see Scotland rugby games round about that time (I think late late 70s?) and the team had Bruce Hay, Andy Irvine and Stevie Munro in it. I am unsure if Bruce got the tickets for us (he may have moved on from Bilston by the time he was playing for Scotland) or my mum as she had a contact at her work for tickets too. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
upgotheheads
1 hour ago, Carl Fredrickson said:

 

It sure was. We got tickets to see Scotland rugby games round about that time (I think late late 70s?) and the team had Bruce Hay, Andy Irvine and Stevie Munro in it. I am unsure if Bruce got the tickets for us (he may have moved on from Bilston by the time he was playing for Scotland) or my mum as she had a contact at her work for tickets too. 

 

I knew Bruce from Moredun primary school. I think he was a year younger than me but he was a good footballer and, in retrospect, even then an impressive character.

My dad was a deputy at Bilston and we lived round the corner in Craigour Grove. Coincidentally he and Andy Irvine were the only two top class sportsmen I ever met. Andy Irvine's mother lived in Gilmerton Dykes, and would appear sometimes to play football in the back green. It's probably no surprise that he was very good at the fitba' too.

It's an even greater coincidence that these two impressive sportsmen were in competition for the Scottish full-back position, otherwise Bruce would have had a lot more caps.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Carl Fredrickson
14 minutes ago, upgotheheads said:

 

I knew Bruce from Moredun primary school. I think he was a year younger than me but he was a good footballer and, in retrospect, even then an impressive character.

My dad was a deputy at Bilston and we lived round the corner in Craigour Grove. Coincidentally he and Andy Irvine were the only two top class sportsmen I ever met. Andy Irvine's mother lived in Gilmerton Dykes, and would appear sometimes to play football in the back green. It's probably no surprise that he was very good at the fitba' too.

It's an even greater coincidence that these two impressive sportsmen were in competition for the Scottish full-back position, otherwise Bruce would have had a lot more caps.

 

 

I was young at the time but Andy Irvine stuck in my mind as a class rugby player. My old man is no longer with us otherwise I would ask him about Bruce. It was mentioned everytime we saw Scotland play either at Murrayfield or watching on TV.  My old man was an electrician of many years at Bilston (he was transferred when Easthouses colliery closed). 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Cruickshank for Scotland

Dalkeith High School. Stuck me at RB so I was out the way....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
spirt of 98

Firrhill High School 90-93. We had a great player in the team who signed for Motherwell FC  and trained with Davie Cooper who was at the club at that point. 
 

He loved the bevy and Regal King Size so spunked his chance. 

Edited by spirt of 98

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Australis

Inch primary school and Liberton high school. Won the Epsaa cup with Inch primary in 1973 beating Craigmillar in the final.

My only football medal ever.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Cruickie's Moustache

Cavalry Park late 70's - Claim to fame in that I played in the same team as Alan 'Nipper' Lawrence and Paul O'Brien who both had spells at Tynecastle. A few others in the team went on to play in the lower senior divisions. Hearts and P-Thistle goalkeeper John Brough was in the age group above me.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
alwaysthereinspirit
37 minutes ago, Australis said:

Inch primary school and Liberton high school. Won the Epsaa cup with Inch primary in 1973 beating Craigmillar in the final.

My only football medal ever.

Bar Steward. I played in that game. And the next year too. Lost again to St Catherines 2-1.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Australis
35 minutes ago, alwaysthereinspirit said:

Bar Steward. I played in that game. And the next year too. Lost again to St Catherines 2-1.

 

I was hoping someone else on here would have taken part

 

Such happy times and care free days, and a trophy for the smaller primary schools to play for.

The inspectors cup was for the larger primary schools I think.

A day to remember for the both of us

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Shug73

Sherwood BC U11, U12, U13's 84-86

Lasswade Primary P5,6 & 7 83-86

 

Was captain of the Lasswade Primary team with Gary Locke in it when he was in P5. He was by far the best player at the school even when he was in P5. There was no after school activities at Lasswade High when I went there so there was no chance of playing non BC football 😭

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
moonraker
On 23/09/2020 at 11:16, Cruickie's Moustache said:

Cavalry Park late 70's - Claim to fame in that I played in the same team as Alan 'Nipper' Lawrence and Paul O'Brien who both had spells at Tynecastle. A few others in the team went on to play in the lower senior divisions. Hearts and P-Thistle goalkeeper John Brough was in the age group above me.

 

That was the team below me. We were under 21's when they were under 18's. Think Nipper played in a couple of friendlies for us. Always was a good player.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.




×
×
  • Create New...