BarneyBattles

What boys / school team did you play for and when?

stevie ed
1 hour ago, BarneyBattles said:

Does the Billy Kilgour you know work in the post office?

Yes, until he retired couple years ago, into his bowling and live bands. I grew up I’m Magdalene around the corner from The Turners. Few years younger than Billy, 59th  Birthday next week will be celebrated in lockdown!!

Pasquale for King
2 hours ago, munro9 said:

Craigentinny went to Leith Academy when I was there (76-81) and Niddry went to Castlebrae but that may have changed about that time.

About half of the kids I went to Niddrie with went to Castlebrae, all the people that stayed in Cleekim went to Porty. I think the kids that stayed in Niddrie went to Castlebrae though. Must’ve been a boundary line somewhere.

BarneyBattles
2 hours ago, stevie ed said:

Yes, until he retired couple years ago, into his bowling and live bands. I grew up I’m Magdalene around the corner from The Turners. Few years younger than Billy, 59th  Birthday next week will be celebrated in lockdown!!

He’s a good mate of my uncle. I knew him quite well. They all used to play 5s down the pitz on Sunday nights. My uncle and his mates still do. 

Nice guy Billy. 

stevie ed
2 minutes ago, BarneyBattles said:

He’s a good mate of my uncle. I knew him quite well. They all used to play 5s down the pitz on Sunday nights. My uncle and his mates still do. 

Nice guy Billy. 

Who’s your uncle? Maybe know him.

Harry Potter

Corstorphine primary, remember the hard mitre ball, 1970.

upgotheheads
Posted (edited)

I was never good enough to get a game for my school team Liberton, but then it was some team. It won the Scottish Senior Secondary cup played at Hampden in (I think) 1965. All of the team were attached to professional clubs I believe but I think the only one who had a serious career was the goalie Murray McDermott who played for Raith Rovers if I remember correctly. Murray also had a spell with us but I'm not sure how many top team appearances he made. Another was a guy called Billy Blues who was attached to Falkirk but I didn't hear his name mentioned in Scottish football after that.  

My only contribution was as a spectator. We had a couple of bus loads through to the game and started at the Robin's Nest for a few beers before the journey, and yes, our ages were between 15 and 17 -  things were different then. There were a few teachers along with us too, and this was before the M8 existed. Before we got to Newbridge we were all bursting for a pee and the bus had to stop for a line-up at the side of the road. Before, or maybe it was after, the game we stopped for more drink at a pub in Glasgow which I'm sure was called the Viking, but I couldn't tell you where that was. My fleeting memories recall somebody opening the emergency exit at the back of the bus as we went along Princes street on the way home, one of the team shinning up the school flagpole to fly a pair of underpants from the top, and catching his knackers on the cleat when he slid down.

If there's anyone on here can add to this story the feel free.

Correction, it was the under 16 shield. 1965

http://scottishschoolsfa.co.uk/boys-under-16-shield-winners/

Edited by upgotheheads

Ronald Villiers

Deanburn Primary 1986, Bo'ness Academy 1989.

Balaclava

Firrhill High School & AC Oxgangs for many years. Few seasons at Tynecastle boys too. Amateurs on a Saturday now !

John Findlay
On 24/03/2020 at 21:04, Pasquale for King said:

About half of the kids I went to Niddrie with went to Castlebrae, all the people that stayed in Cleekim went to Porty. I think the kids that stayed in Niddrie went to Castlebrae though. Must’ve been a boundary line somewhere.

Castlebrae, played in Arsenal strips

moonraker
14 hours ago, upgotheheads said:

I was never good enough to get a game for my school team Liberton, but then it was some team. It won the Scottish Senior Secondary cup played at Hampden in (I think) 1965. All of the team were attached to professional clubs I believe but I think the only one who had a serious career was the goalie Murray McDermott who played for Raith Rovers if I remember correctly. Murray also had a spell with us but I'm not sure how many top team appearances he made. Another was a guy called Billy Blues who was attached to Falkirk but I didn't hear his name mentioned in Scottish football after that.  

My only contribution was as a spectator. We had a couple of bus loads through to the game and started at the Robin's Nest for a few beers before the journey, and yes, our ages were between 15 and 17 -  things were different then. There were a few teachers along with us too, and this was before the M8 existed. Before we got to Newbridge we were all bursting for a pee and the bus had to stop for a line-up at the side of the road. Before, or maybe it was after, the game we stopped for more drink at a pub in Glasgow which I'm sure was called the Viking, but I couldn't tell you where that was. My fleeting memories recall somebody opening the emergency exit at the back of the bus as we went along Princes street on the way home, one of the team shinning up the school flagpole to fly a pair of underpants from the top, and catching his knackers on the cleat when he slid down.

When I played for Gilmerton, Murray and Bobby Ford also playing for Raith at that time took us for Training at The Jack Kane Centre, I played Sunday Football with his Brother Tam Mc Dermott. We also used to play fives at Jack Kane V Murray, Bobby, Davy Jack, Bert Cormack  and another guy whose name escapes me. Murray hardly let a ball past him, luckily he enjoyed playing out as well so  we scored the occasional goal. I think Davy and Bert also payed in that Liberton team (Might be wrong)

Pasquale for King
5 hours ago, John Findlay said:

Castlebrae, played in Arsenal strips

Didn’t know that, we had two guys from there that took us for training at Niddrie on Wednesdays and the jannie took the team for games.

martoon
Posted (edited)
10 minutes ago, Pasquale for King said:

Didn’t know that, we had two guys from there that took us for training at Niddrie on Wednesdays and the jannie took the team for games.

I remember Janny used to bring a lad in once a week. A bloke with dark curly hair (might have been one of those perms that were popular at the time) in his 20's. He was a Hearts fan. 

Don't recall his name or where he came from but the PE teacher from Castlebrae suggestion makes sense. 

PS. Mentioned our exchange to my sister. I think she's the same as you and she jogged my memory re Andy Crawford. He was in the Cup winning team of 1979. 

I don't think we got on terribly well. 😬👊😉

Edited by martoon

Pasquale for King
8 minutes ago, martoon said:

I remember Janny used to bring a lad in once a week. A bloke with dark curly hair (might have been one of those perms that were popular at the time) in his 20's. He was a Hearts fan. 

Don't recall his name or where he came from but the PE teacher from Castlebrae suggestion makes sense. 

PS. Mentioned our exchange to my sister. I think she's the same as you and she jogged my memory re Andy Crawford. He was in the Cup winning team of 1979. 

I don't think we got on terribly well. 😬👊😉

Andy is a Hibee so that’s probably why 😃, great player. His old man Jimmy is a Jambo and still goes to the games.

The two guys we had train us were 16-7, one called Jim I think. The PE teacher you had must’ve set them up for it.

martoon
Posted (edited)
3 minutes ago, Pasquale for King said:

Andy is a Hibee so that’s probably why 😃, great player. His old man Jimmy is a Jambo and still goes to the games.

The two guys we had train us were 16-7, one called Jim I think. The PE teacher you had must’ve set them up for it.

Perhaps, bud. 

Edit: I meant she's the same age as you. 

Edited by martoon

stuartmitchell

Good thread! 

Bonaly Primary up to 97 

Firrhill High School up to 03

7th Edinburgh BB's up till circa 05 I think - played at Letham park - 7 asides on a 3/4 length pitch with full size goals. 

Broomhall Saints until 97

Currie Star till 2000

Inch House till 2003 - played against Blacky - tore me a new one!

Rapid Sienna (lol) till 2005

Remember fondly School Football Sat AM, BB Football Sat PM and Boys Club Sunday afternoon. Can barely run for a bus these days!

Amateur football wise, Cabrera till about 2011 I think but still playing in the odd charity match! I'm sure there are a few ex Cabrera boys on here who played for John Jamieson :)

Pasquale for King
53 minutes ago, martoon said:

Perhaps, bud. 

Edit: I meant she's the same age as you. 

What’s her name I should know her?

martoon
2 hours ago, Pasquale for King said:

What’s her name I should know her?

Elaine. But we did leave Cleekim/Niddrie Mill in 1979 which, iirc, was when you arrived. Probably knew a lot of the same folk though. Acky Hood, who was in my class, and his wee sister Lillian, who was in hers, for example. 

Pasquale for King
1 minute ago, martoon said:

Elaine. But we did leave Cleekim/Niddrie Mill in 1979 which, iirc, was when you arrived. Probably knew a lot of the same folk though. Acky Hood, who was in my class, and his wee sister Lillian, who was in hers, for example. 

Must’ve missed each other then.

martoon
2 minutes ago, Pasquale for King said:

Must’ve missed each other then.

Aye, it would seem so. 

Nice wee trip down memory lane though, bud. 👍

Pasquale for King
10 minutes ago, martoon said:

Aye, it would seem so. 

Nice wee trip down memory lane though, bud. 👍

Definitely, good times 👍🏽.

MR INCREDIBLE
On 11/07/2012 at 12:36, joe.gausden said:

19th Leith Boys Brigade around 77-79

The 10th Leith were the top dogs in those days. 

upgotheheads
9 hours ago, moonraker said:

When I played for Gilmerton, Murray and Bobby Ford also playing for Raith at that time took us for Training at The Jack Kane Centre, I played Sunday Football with his Brother Tam Mc Dermott. We also used to play fives at Jack Kane V Murray, Bobby, Davy Jack, Bert Cormack  and another guy whose name escapes me. Murray hardly let a ball past him, luckily he enjoyed playing out as well so  we scored the occasional goal. I think Davy and Bert also payed in that Liberton team (Might be wrong)

Bert Cormack rings a bell, I'm sure he was in that team. He lived round the corner  in Craigour Terrace and I think he was the same year as me at Liberton  but in  a different class. 

I remember looking at Friends United a few years ago and seeing a post from him, I think he was living in  in Bangkok, or somewhere in the Far-East at that time and was in the motor trade.

Coincidentally a neighbour of his would have been Bruce Hay, the Scottish Rugby international full-back, who died tragically young a few years ago. 

HeartsInMyBlood
On 22/03/2020 at 00:40, obua said:

Davy Felinger works at Rembrand timber at  seafield  . He’s got a pic on the wall of his hobo team.

A total knob. I didn't know him that well, but he struggled to get through doors due to the size of his head. And a face that only a mother could love. You reap what you sow etc.

obua
16 minutes ago, HeartsInMyBlood said:

A total knob. I didn't know him that well, but he struggled to get through doors due to the size of his head. And a face that only a mother could love. You reap what you sow etc.

Sounds like he’s not changed much with age:rudi:

rory78
Posted (edited)

Wardie P7's 1989/90 we won the league at a canter winning all but one game a draw v Davidson Mains 😒 won the Leith Cup aswell hammering Royston 7-2 at Lethem Park

Edited by rory78

Cairneyhill Jambo
On 25/03/2020 at 21:25, upgotheheads said:

Murray McDermott signed for Hearts in the twilight of his career as cover for Henry Smith.  Pretty sure he actually came on in a European game at Tynie when Henry got injured. St Pats maybe.

He worked in HR at the Scottish Government, or the Executive/Office as it was then and he used to play 5 a sides down at Victoria Quay in Leith.  Even then, he was still a great keeper.

Sadly passed away a good few years ago.  He was only in his early fifties.

upgotheheads
Posted (edited)
5 minutes ago, Cairneyhill Jambo said:

Murray McDermott signed for Hearts in the twilight of his career as cover for Henry Smith.  Pretty sure he actually came on in a European game at Tynie when Henry got injured. St Pats maybe.

He worked in HR at the Scottish Government, or the Executive/Office as it was then and he used to play 5 a sides down at Victoria Quay in Leith.  Even then, he was still a great keeper.

Oh! sorry to hear that. I didn't know him very well, the only connection was that we dated the same girl on a couple of occasions, he might have been in the year below me at school. To die so young when you've been a top class sportsman is really tragic. The same goes for Bruce Hay who I knew slightly.

Edited by upgotheheads

rory78
Posted (edited)
11 minutes ago, Cairneyhill Jambo said:

I remember Murray McDermott playing a friendly at Tynie late 80's v a very good Nottm Forest team think we lost 0-3

Edited by rory78

WoolfordsHearts

Enjoying having the time to read these type of threads.

Meldrum primary school(Ryder cup golfer in goal for us)

Bathgate Academy (as above)

Pumpherston Juveniles.

Strathbrock under 21's

Whitburn Bluebell under 21's

Broxburn juniors.

Trained with the Hearts and Dunfermline but eventually signed for Dundee s form ironically the season after,well,that season.

bobskeldon

Anyone recognise anybody in this photo from 71/72. This was taken at a time when if your particular team's season was finished, you could then play for an older team (same club) for the remainder of these games. This pic is on an Edinburgh Thistle  training night at DK school with a mixture of U15s, U16s and U/18s. The U/18s were a team full of 'characters', some of whom I played with later at Holyrood U21s ran by Bob Roberston namely John Ross, Eddie Gowans, Davie Brash and Davie Cathcart. The faces on this pic I recognise are Alex McGhee, Alan Johnstone, Arthur Pearson, Colin King and myself from the 16s and Alan Holt from the 15s. I also recognise Ricky Houston as, like me,  he went to Portobello HS. If you recognise yourself, enjoy!  

Ed-Th.jpg

moonraker
On 31/03/2020 at 12:40, bobskeldon said:

Anyone recognise anybody in this photo from 71/72. This was taken at a time when if your particular team's season was finished, you could then play for an older team (same club) for the remainder of these games. This pic is on an Edinburgh Thistle  training night at DK school with a mixture of U15s, U16s and U/18s. The U/18s were a team full of 'characters', some of whom I played with later at Holyrood U21s ran by Bob Roberston namely John Ross, Eddie Gowans, Davie Brash and Davie Cathcart. The faces on this pic I recognise are Alex McGhee, Alan Johnstone, Arthur Pearson, Colin King and myself from the 16s and Alan Holt from the 15s. I also recognise Ricky Houston as, like me,  he went to Portobello HS. If you recognise yourself, enjoy!  

Ed-Th.jpg

Ricky Houston lived directly opposite me in Brand Gardens, (The Christians) went down to Coventry City I think

john brownlee
On 26/03/2020 at 19:33, MR INCREDIBLE said:

The 10th Leith were the top dogs in those days. 

Na eight leith at pilrig were the best.

Seaside jambo
On 24/03/2020 at 23:17, BarneyBattles said:

Nice guy Billy. 

I knew billy from Porty to ,I grew up there as well seen him a few months ago great guy , likes his bowling plays at lee crescent club in Porty a think We use to play darts in foresters many years ago 

sure he’s a hibs man a think 

moonraker
5 hours ago, Seaside jambo said:

I knew billy from Porty to ,I grew up there as well seen him a few months ago great guy , likes his bowling plays at lee crescent club in Porty a think e use to play darts in foresters many years ago 

Big Hibby but can take (and give) a bit of stick, known him since we played for Porty United back in the 70's (under 14 or 15 ish)  Also worked with him in Asda ...the original one

Seaside jambo
4 hours ago, moonraker said:

Big Hibby but can take (and give) a bit of stick, known him since we played for Porty United back in the 70's (under 14 or 15 ish)  Also worked with him in Asda ...the original one

Remember old Asda had a few pints in the old brunstane pub next door some friday nights 

upgotheheads
Posted (edited)
On 25/03/2020 at 21:25, upgotheheads said:

https://www.oldglasgowpubs.co.uk/vikingrutherglen.html

I think this was the place, certainly in the right area for a trip from Hampden to Liberton and it looks right. Assuming the Shield final would have been played towards the end of term I would have just turned 16. It's a long road is memory lane.  

It was also only a couple of months after THAT game.

Edited by upgotheheads

ArcticJambo
12 hours ago, Seaside jambo said:

I knew billy from Porty to ,I grew up there as well seen him a few months ago great guy , likes his bowling plays at lee crescent club in Porty a think We use to play darts in foresters many years ago 

7 hours ago, moonraker said:

Haven't seen him for years, unfortunately but glad to hear he's keeping fine. Played fives with him for years, originally down at St Joes near Tranent, waaay back! And then as previously mentioned up thread at the Pitz (just the two of us still play from that original group).  Very clever footballer. 

I've watched a derby once from the Hibs end (in the enclosure, behind the away dugout.  We lost 2-0, and big Janny got a red!) and that was with BK.  Aye, a good lad.

TorinoJambo
On 27/03/2020 at 21:01, Cairneyhill Jambo said:

Murray played his one Hearts game in Dublin v St Pat's. He was in my local junior team Penicuik Athletic's Scottish Cup final team in 1970. I played 5s many times against him in the Meadowbank lunchtime leagues. He played for EMO a Scottish office team and always played outfield.  He was really good and scored tons of goals. He got pancreatic cancer and sadly passed away.

martoon
14 hours ago, john brownlee said:

Na eight leith at pilrig were the best.

I played briefly for the eighth in late 1980, early '81, john. Goalkeeper. We weren't terribly good but we played out of our skins in the indoor 5's at Leith Community Centre in the January and won it.

Modesty can forbid all it wants but I saved a penalty in the final. 🏃😁

moonraker
4 hours ago, Seaside jambo said:

Remember old Asda had a few pints in the old brunstane pub next door some friday nights 

Ah , yes, The Brunstane had a decent team as well. Think we must know each other. I am Kenny Campbell, You sound like the same age as my brother.

Seaside jambo
36 minutes ago, moonraker said:

Ah , yes, The Brunstane had a decent team as well. Think we must know each other. I am Kenny Campbell, You sound like the same age as my brother.

I know you’re name think you were year older or same age as me 

davie Greig /Brian lee  /sammy , tam few others used to drink there 

they were year above me at school (Porty) 

I never played football at school cousin did same age as me billy Russell 

jambocall51

Bonaly primary up till 2012 

stewarts Melville till 2020. Very small amount of appearances.

played for the Boys brigade once I think.

Batistuta87
Posted (edited)

Liked this thread! Here's mine (don't remember dates 100% but think I'm close enough)...:

- Murieston FC from 95-98 

- Dechmont Dynamos 98 

- Livingston Hearts 99

- Whitburn Rose 99-01 or 02 - played in the Edinburgh league and played against Hearts and Hibs. 

- Livingston FC "YTS"/Trialist 01 or 02. Trained with them during pre-season. Played a couple of games as a trialist (v Motherwell, Rangers and Partick Thistle), but got an achilles injury and wasn't offered a contract. 

Played against Berra and Wallace at Hearts - Berra was playing centre mid I think, and was an absolute tank who you just bounced off. Wallace was absolutely rapid and was playing left mid. I was playing right mid so was up against him quite a lot and got booked for hacking him because I couldn't catch him. Can't remember any Hibs or Rangers players. Played with Snodgrass at Livi - he was simply outstanding to be quite honest. I remember being really surprised that he was only at Livi and wasn't at Rangers or Celtic or even someone down south - he was unreal. Griffiths might have been there around that time too but I don't remember him. 

Edited by Batistuta87

moonraker
20 hours ago, Seaside jambo said:

I know you’re name think you were year older or same age as me 

davie Greig /Brian lee  /sammy , tam few others used to drink there 

they were year above me at school (Porty) 

I never played football at school cousin did same age as me billy Russell 

I knew Billy, 25th BBs, good player, went to Merchie. Did he end up coaching, maybe going to States?  "Sammy" must be Sammy Kane

Seaside jambo
1 hour ago, moonraker said:

I knew Billy, 25th BBs, good player, went to Merchie. Did he end up coaching, maybe going to States?  "Sammy" must be Sammy Kane

Yeh Sammy Kane some man 

my name is Rab Howie 

moonraker
3 minutes ago, Seaside jambo said:

Yeh Sammy Kane some man 

my name is Rab Howie 

Aye know the name, would probably know you if I saw you.

Seaside jambo
3 minutes ago, moonraker said:

Aye know the name, would probably know you if I saw you.

Billy played with Linlithgow rose few times 

as well yeh was merchie for a while 

coached some junior team west caulder or somewhere through that way ,he stayed through there stays in France now 

bobskeldon
On 05/04/2020 at 20:07, moonraker said:

Ricky Houston lived directly opposite me in Brand Gardens, (The Christians) went down to Coventry City I think

He did indeed, you must know the Tullochs then? Alice was in my class and I played with both Malky and Lawrie at Port Villa.

moonraker
22 hours ago, bobskeldon said:

He did indeed, you must know the Tullochs then? Alice was in my class and I played with both Malky and Lawrie at Port Villa.

As did I. Moved down to Swindon in 1989 played for Villa for a couple of seasons up till then, lot of crossover with Leith Vics.

bobskeldon
1 hour ago, moonraker said:

As did I. Moved down to Swindon in 1989 played for Villa for a couple of seasons up till then, lot of crossover with Leith Vics.

I played for Port Villa around 81/82/83. I think the crossover between PV and LV started with Jimmy Batten and Stevie Crumlish?