BarneyBattles

What boys / school team did you play for and when?

Big Moysey

Played for Stonelaw High 1970-72 was year below Stevie Archibald. All stopped when the teacher that ran the football ran away with a home economics teacher 😂😂

Alva-Jambo

I played Rugby at Heriots!  !    agh!   

brawlad74

St Margarets Youth team Gala 70s

Hyvots FC Maybury Sunday League 80s

Dalneigh FC & Lochardil FC Inverness 90s

5asides Newcastle current (when fit)

Oneneilberry
On 09/06/2016 at 18:26, Eno said:

Memory not that great but, I played for St. Bernard's u18's around 89-90 under Brian Davis/Foster and beasted at training by Kaiser!

Done well in the Scottish that year too if I remember. Guys like Woody(keeper), Broughie,Wayne,Lawrence,nizzy(strikers),Craig Ferrier,Stuart Mckenzie then on to u21's with likes of Ian Gourley, Johnny Milne, Colin, Stuart Hay? All played with Centre Court on a Sunday too!2 x John's (CH & keeper) then Stu introduced us to the Wine Glass at the south side and the rest is history as they say......

100%  played in the same team as you bud ..went to the semis of the Scottish that year,had some laughs the next few years at 21’s and a few good nights in a certain Mr Mckenzies flat in oxgangs 

benny

I played right back for Laurieston (near Falkirk) at youth level.

Great team.Players included Gary Gillespie ex Liverpool,Archie Morrison ex Falkirk and a decent junior career.

Goalie was Brian Stanic and centre forward Derek Jamieson both Hearts S Forms.

Alan Fowler good junior career.

Won league for 3 seasons in Falkirk area until team disbanded.

HeartsInMyBlood
On 10/07/2012 at 21:09, GRL1969 said:

BB, davy fellinger was in that porty team too. He signed for the hobos too IIRC. I never played for the school but played with WM at edina & DF at huchie. Banksy was a year or 2 below us.

Fellenger at school was a cock of the first order. Face like a bulldog licking piss off a thistle and generally smug as ****. His older brother was a good lad.

Eno
36 minutes ago, Oneneilberry said:

100%  played in the same team as you bud ..went to the semis of the Scottish that year,had some laughs the next few years at 21’s and a few good nights in a certain Mr Mckenzies flat in oxgangs 

Indeed. Hard to believe it was so long ago.

Oneneilberry
3 minutes ago, Eno said:

Indeed. Hard to believe it was so long ago.

Still see a few of them ..Craig Sinclair ,Ally Muir some memories with that side.You ever hear from Stu McKenzie these days ?

obua
1 hour ago, HeartsInMyBlood said:

Fellenger at school was a cock of the first order. Face like a bulldog licking piss off a thistle and generally smug as ****. His older brother was a good lad.

Davy Felinger works at Rembrand timber at  seafield  . He’s got a pic on the wall of his hobo team.

Hearts Daft

Riddrie Vale (we won the league) in the mid 1970s and Smithycroft both through in the east end of Glasgow.

Eno
10 hours ago, Oneneilberry said:

Still see a few of them ..Craig Sinclair ,Ally Muir some memories with that side.You ever hear from Stu McKenzie these days ?

Not seen him for a couple of years. See his brother Dougie most home games.

Stu was driving for lothian buses last I heard.

I see Neil Brien now and again.

wavydavy
On 20/01/2020 at 18:57, Alva-Jambo said:

So did I but also played football.

BEDNAR BOY

Me too 

weegie jambo

I went to Rudolf Steiner and we weren't allowed to use our feet to kick a ball so we played handball in the playground and had a brilliant school hockey team with several schoolboy internationals in our team. After school it was straight out to The Meadows almost every day to play football. After I left school I trained with Ratho Star pre Uni but only played once. I went to the RSAMD now Scottish Conservatoire and we had a cracking football team who only played friendlies mostly at Bellahouston Park. Most opponents thought they'd be in for an easy game against a bunch of  actors but we were hard as nails and won more than we lost against some good Glasgow teams!   

Seymour M Hersh
On 20/01/2020 at 18:57, Alva-Jambo said:

So did I. Saturday morning rugby, afternoon football for Edinburgh Waverley and Sunday afternoon Church's league football. Salad days. :sweeet:

Pasquale for King

Silverknowes primary 78

Niddrie Primary 79-82

Edina H1B5 79-81

Cleekim 81-82

Going to Porty High School that took in 7 primary schools meant you had to be good to get into the team and I wasn’t. 
My height and weight was more suited to rugby but I refused to play, I probably should’ve. I got into the NFL and trained a bit with the Edinburgh Eagles in 1986. I was also playing golf from 10 onwards and could’ve turned pro but for an accident, whether I was good enough to make a living is debatable though.

chester copperpot
15 minutes ago, Pasquale for King said:

Silverknowes primary 78

Niddrie Primary 79-82

Edina H1B5 79-81

Cleekim 81-82

Going to Porty High School that took in 7 primary schools meant you had to be good to get into the team and I wasn’t. 
My height and weight was more suited to rugby but I refused to play, I probably should’ve. I got into the NFL and trained a bit with the Edinburgh Eagles in 1986. I was also playing golf from 10 onwards and could’ve turned pro but for an accident, whether I was good enough to make a living is debatable though.

What were the 7 primarys. Can only think of 6 and the other one is annoying me!

Went to Porty aswell

Maple Leaf

I played football for Royston primary school then Gilmerton primary school, then rugby and cricket for the Royal High.

I was lousy at them all.

John Findlay
36 minutes ago, Maple Leaf said:

I played football for Royston primary school then Gilmerton primary school, then rugby and cricket for the Royal High.

I was lousy at them all.

Yeah deffo at Royston🤣🤣🤣

stevie ed
On 09/06/2016 at 14:44, moonraker said:

Who is still playing out of the auld Vics Guys? Andy Gibson? Andy Young, Gordo Fruish? I was at Brunstane as well. Knew a lot of the Portfield guys Billy Kilgour in particular. Played wi Laurie Tulloch and his brother Malkie at Port Villa

1st time in years logging on to this website, doing so because of the Corona boredom.  I went to Brunstane, same year as laurie Tulloch Johnny Hunter & Gogo who I still see regularly. The Vics guys I still play 5s with are Joe Malcolm & Flash who were there during my time although I did play with big Andy Gibson. Good pals with Billy T, billy Kilgour Joe Johnston and Gary Handyside, Ally Duncan and more that you would surely know. We try and meet up once a month for a beer. Also played in the Lismore game, think it was 0-16 or so.

Pasquale for King
1 hour ago, chester copperpot said:

Went to Porty aswell

Niddrie,Newcraighall, Duddingston, Brunstane, Towerbank, Parsons Green and Lismore I think 🤷🏾‍♂️ 

munro9
3 hours ago, chester copperpot said:

Went to Porty aswell

So did I . Played at Parsons Green PS with Robbo and Davie Bowman. 

munro9
2 hours ago, Pasquale for King said:

Niddrie,Newcraighall, Duddingston, Brunstane, Towerbank, Parsons Green and Lismore I think 🤷🏾‍♂️ 

Nah, Lismore (Bingham), Towerbank (Portobello), Parsons Green (Lady Nairn, Meadowfield) Royal High (Northfield, Piershill), Brunstane (Christians) Duddingston (Northfield) and Newcraighall I think

Pasquale for King
1 hour ago, munro9 said:

Nah, Lismore (Bingham), Towerbank (Portobello), Parsons Green (Lady Nairn, Meadowfield) Royal High (Northfield, Piershill), Brunstane (Christians) Duddingston (Northfield) and Newcraighall I think

I saw Royal High but hadn’t counted that, if so that’s 8 because my friends and I who went to Niddrie all went to Porty.

chester copperpot
4 hours ago, Pasquale for King said:

Royal High PS did aswell did it not

As did Craigentinny too

Pasquale for King
3 minutes ago, chester copperpot said:

Royal High PS did aswell did it not

As did Craigentinny too

That’s 9 then 😱 

martoon

One game for Abbeyhill primary when I was in p5 (left footed so made the P6 and under team a wee bit early). 

In 1978, aged 10, moved to a new build estate behind the old Marshall Arms and had a year at Niddrie Mill Primary.

Straight into the team (the left foot thing was a big advantage) and we won a Cup. No memory of its name but we thrashed Towerbank primary 6-2, aet, in the final. It took place in the grounds of Holyrood Secondary and there were goal nets. Wow! 

Iirc, it took place on the morning of the day that Hibs played Rangers in the 1979 Scottish Cup final (the first one). Vaguely recall us being annoyed that one of our better players, a Hibby, chose attending the Scottish Cup final instead of playing in ours. 

Our winning team photo was even in the EEN pink. 

Back to Abbeyhill for p7 and my football career just fizzled out from there on in. 

Apologies for going on but it's the only footballing success I had. 😊

wavydavy
Posted (edited)
22 hours ago, chester copperpot said:

Went to Porty aswell

What are the six you can remember?

Forget that I just read further down. :biglaugh:

Edited by wavydavy

chester copperpot
21 hours ago, Pasquale for King said:

I saw Royal High but hadn’t counted that, if so that’s 8 because my friends and I who went to Niddrie all went to Porty.

Loads at Craigentinny went too. 

Pasquale for King
18 hours ago, martoon said:

One game for Abbeyhill primary when I was in p5 (left footed so made the P6 and under team a wee bit early). 

In 1978, aged 10, moved to a new build estate behind the old Marshall Arms and had a year at Niddrie Mill Primary.

Straight into the team (the left foot thing was a big advantage) and we won a Cup. No memory of its name but we thrashed Towerbank primary 6-2, aet, in the final. It took place in the grounds of Holyrood Secondary and there were goal nets. Wow! 

Iirc, it took place on the morning of the day that Hibs played Rangers in the 1979 Scottish Cup final (the first one). Vaguely recall us being annoyed that one of our better players, a Hibby, chose attending the Scottish Cup final instead of playing in ours. 

Our winning team photo was even in the EEN pink. 

Back to Abbeyhill for p7 and my football career just fizzled out from there on in. 

Apologies for going on but it's the only footballing success I had. 😊

You must’ve been a couple of years above me at Niddrie, I stayed in Cleekim too from

1979. I remember the older boys playing in a final at Warrington playing fields around 79-81? Loved the three strips we had, Inter Milan, Leeds and Liverpool 😃.

Pasquale for King
1 hour ago, chester copperpot said:

Loads at Craigentinny went too. 

I’ve been lying to folk all my life to try and excuse the end of my footballing career 😱🤔🤷🏾‍♂️🙈😜:

martoon
Posted (edited)
50 minutes ago, Pasquale for King said:

You must’ve been a couple of years above me at Niddrie, I stayed in Cleekim too from

1979. I remember the older boys playing in a final at Warrington playing fields around 79-81? Loved the three strips we had, Inter Milan, Leeds and Liverpool 😃.

Lived in Cleekim Drive Aug 78-Aug 79. 

Niddrie Mill was great. Really enjoyed my time there. Actually kept in touch with lads from my class/team and they did reach another final in 1980 at Warriston. Don't recall if they won that one, though. 

We had two strips. All red and all yellow, like Liverpool home and away at that time. Mr. Muir, or "Janny" as he was know, ran the team. 

Edited by martoon

moonraker
On 09/06/2016 at 14:36, moonraker said:

Bit of a memory test at my advanced age.

Never played for 1st Team at Port High School as we had a team that won everything except Scottish Cup (Injury ridden team lost to Holyrood in final)

Portobello United (became Thistle later)

Queens Park BC. (Managed 1 game for Edinburgh Under 18 select keeping Eamonn Bannon on bench)

Cavalry Park Under 21

In Edinburgh area played Amateur for Gimerton Leith Vics and Knightsridge Thistle

On Saturdays Port Villa in Maybury Sunday league and CSA in Health Board league.Left Edinburgh in 89 at age of 30. Who knew I would finally retire at age of 55 After playing for West Swindon, Raychem, Village Inn and AFC Greendown. Art a range of different levels from Wilts League div 1 to Swindon Sunday League div 7

Aye Coronavirus is to blame for a lot of time on peoples hands. 4 years after this final retirment I find myself playing for Royal Wooton Basset Town Vets at the age of 62...only second oldest in team. Played over 50's games against The Army, The RAFand Wales (slight mismatch.) Now talking of entering a team in Oxfordshire over  50 Vets league. 

Pasquale for King
Posted (edited)
53 minutes ago, martoon said:

Lived in Cleekim Drive Aug 78-Aug 79. 

Niddrie Mill was great. Really enjoyed my time there. Actually kept in touch with lads from my class/team and they did reach another final in 1980 at Warriston. Don't recall if they won that one, though. 

We had two strips. All red and all yellow, like Liverpool home and away at that time. Mr. Muir, or "Janny" as he was know, ran the team. 

Yeah that was him, I can’t for the life of me remember if they won that final at Warriston but I remember getting a bus there from the school. I lived in 30 Cleekim Road and was mates with Kenny Shaw, Andy and James Crawford, Armando Demello. Was that horrible little shit Mr Grieg headmaster when you were there? He used to have two belts on each shoulder underneath his jacket. I got the bent everyday. He grabbed from behind once and I hit him, I was the same height as him (5’7” at 11), but I my mum didn’t punish me 😃. I had the yellow Liverpool strip with the red stripes, I just thought the yellow was an homage to Leeds. The Inter strips must’ve been after you left.

Edited by Pasquale for King

martoon
Posted (edited)
43 minutes ago, Pasquale for King said:

Yeah that was him, I can’t for the life of me remember if they won that final at Warriston but I remember getting a bus there from the school. I lived in 30 Cleekim Road and was mates with Kenny Shaw, Andy and James Crawford, Armando Demello. Was that horrible little shit Mr Grieg headmaster when you were there? He used to have two belts on each shoulder underneath his jacket. I got the bent everyday. He grabbed from behind once and I hit him, I was the same height as him (5’7” at 11), but I my mum didn’t punish me 😃. I had the yellow Liverpool strip with the red stripes, I just thought the yellow was an homage to Leeds. The Inter strips must’ve been after you left.

Don't recall the headmaster's name but that sounds like him. Ugly wee bloke. I was taller than him aged 10. 😊

I remember a lass called Anita, who I think had a wee brother called Armando. Only other kid I remember from Cleekim was a lad called Willie.

Most of my pals were team/schoolmates from various parts of Niddrie. 

Edited by martoon

Pasquale for King
4 minutes ago, martoon said:

Don't recall the headmaster's name but that sounds like him. Ugly wee bloke. I was taller than him aged 10. 😊

I remember a lass called Anita, who I think had a wee brother called Armando. Only other kid I remember from Cleekim was a lad called Willie.

Most of my pals were team/schoolmates from various parts of Niddrie. 

Yeah Anita is a year older than me. Yeah that was Grieg, I have a kind of reverse small man syndrome, most refs remind me of him. Sadistic little shit. I was good pals with Andy Motion, taught him how to play football and he took my place in the school team 😆. Alan Maclaren was two years younger than me but I don’t remember him at all.

martoon
7 minutes ago, Pasquale for King said:

Yeah Anita is a year older than me. Yeah that was Grieg, I have a kind of reverse small man syndrome, most refs remind me of him. Sadistic little shit. I was good pals with Andy Motion, taught him how to play football and he took my place in the school team 😆. Alan Maclaren was two years younger than me but I don’t remember him at all.

I don't remember Alan either. He must have been in p2/3 when I was in P6. 

BarneyBattles
On 22/03/2020 at 14:59, Pasquale for King said:

Silverknowes primary 78

Niddrie Primary 79-82

Edina H1B5 79-81

Cleekim 81-82

:verysmug: I was in your year as well (I think), will send you a pm.

BarneyBattles
2 minutes ago, BarneyBattles said:

:verysmug: I was in your year as well (I think), will send you a pm.

Says you can't receive PMs. 

chester copperpot
3 hours ago, Pasquale for King said:

I’ve been lying to folk all my life to try and excuse the end of my footballing career 😱🤔🤷🏾‍♂️🙈😜:

:lol:

Ainsley Harriott
On 10/07/2012 at 21:36, gdavgoncalv said:

Currie high school

Merchie boys club

Hearts

Currie star

Motherwell initiative

Scotland boys

Edinburgh district

Tynecastle hearts

Hutchie vale

Then I found women and alcohol and it went downhill ha

Given our current situation I reckon you could do a job.

maroonedinoz

Played for Craigentinny primary in the early 60’s and was picked for trials for Edinburgh schools, but when assembling the dining room tables for school dinners, a table fell on my toes, and I couldn’t play in  the trials!

my claim to fame was in the early 70’s I played with a team called Marchmont who swept the boards in the newly formed Sunday League

lots of quality players in that side, including a guy called Davie Jeffries whoI I read in an airmailed pink news was still playing East of Scotland league at the age of 42!

Pasquale for King
1 hour ago, BarneyBattles said:

Says you can't receive PMs. 

That’s weird, will have a look at it.

stevie ed
12 hours ago, moonraker said:

Aye Coronavirus is to blame for a lot of time on peoples hands. 4 years after this final retirment I find myself playing for Royal Wooton Basset Town Vets at the age of 62...only second oldest in team. Played over 50's games against The Army, The RAFand Wales (slight mismatch.) Now talking of entering a team in Oxfordshire over  50 Vets league. 

Yes it’s difficult to give up! Was still playing in a over 35s summer league until last year.  Still doing the Monday 5s at Jack  Kane and hopefully continue doing so, was out walking the dogs with Billy T at the weekend, been a long time since he kicked a baw!

ando
8 hours ago, maroonedinoz said:

Played for Craigentinny primary in the early 60’s and was picked for trials for Edinburgh schools, but when assembling the dining room tables for school dinners, a table fell on my toes, and I couldn’t play in  the trials!

my claim to fame was in the early 70’s I played with a team called Marchmont who swept the boards in the newly formed Sunday League

lots of quality players in that side, including a guy called Davie Jeffries whoI I read in an airmailed pink news was still playing East of Scotland league at the age of 42!

Still see Davie played with him with Lothian Thistle

moonraker
5 hours ago, stevie ed said:

Yes it’s difficult to give up! Was still playing in a over 35s summer league until last year.  Still doing the Monday 5s at Jack  Kane and hopefully continue doing so, was out walking the dogs with Billy T at the weekend, been a long time since he kicked a baw!

Saw Billy Turner and Joe Johnson in the Foresters  a year or two ago, (Billy Kilgour had dragged them from their usual watering hole) neither of them had changed a bit since the Port Villa days.Was in Munich in October with Billy K for a mates 60th. Still as mad as a box of frogs.

stevie ed
1 hour ago, moonraker said:

Saw Billy Turner and Joe Johnson in the Foresters  a year or two ago, (Billy Kilgour had dragged them from their usual watering hole) neither of them had changed a bit since the Port Villa days.Was in Munich in October with Billy K for a mates 60th. Still as mad as a box of frogs.

The Munich trip would have been with big Lindsay,  Big crowd of us went up to Dunkeld for his birthday. your right about Billy K😀

munro9
On 22/03/2020 at 21:22, Pasquale for King said:

That’s 9 then 😱 

Craigentinny went to Leith Academy when I was there (76-81) and Niddry went to Castlebrae but that may have changed about that time.

moonraker
3 hours ago, stevie ed said:

The Munich trip would have been with big Lindsay,  Big crowd of us went up to Dunkeld for his birthday. your right about Billy K😀

Aye it was, great laugh,

BarneyBattles
4 hours ago, moonraker said:

Does the Billy Kilgour you know work in the post office?