BarneyBattles

What boys / school team did you play for and when?

buzzbomb
2 hours ago, TypoonJambo said:

Facility manager i think you meant. 😁

Yes 😄

hueyview

Played a few times with St Thomas Aquinas, 1978.  But was in the Rugby team at that time (first and second year)

Seemed to spend every evening playing at the bottom of Glen street, Tollcross or accross at the meadows  from 1973-79.

Played for the Doctors Bar in around 1984-85. Played a few matches in the pub league, for other pubs as a non registered player, late 80s.

And again as a Civil servant late 80s.  Never fancied the 5 a side leagues.....

Hibs Nil
4 hours ago, grumpy rebus said:

we must’ve been at the Royal High at a similar time. I left in 83!!

I left 87 but the footie team stopped for a while when the teachers were on strike! I see old Mr Dewar (finally) died this week.

John Findlay
1 hour ago, hueyview said:

Played a few times with St Thomas Aquinas, 1978.  But was in the Rugby team at that time (first and second year)

Seemed to spend every evening playing at the bottom of Glen street, Tollcross or accross at the meadows  from 1973-79.

Played for the Doctors Bar in around 1984-85. Played a few matches in the pub league, for other pubs as a non registered player, late 80s.

And again as a Civil servant late 80s.  Never fancied the 5 a side leagues.....

We played in the same school team? Mr McManus the gaffer?

grumpy rebus
1 hour ago, Hibs Nil said:

I left 87 but the footie team stopped for a while when the teachers were on strike! I see old Mr Dewar (finally) died this week.

I hadn’t heard about Badger. That’s a shame. He was great, so long as you were into your rugby 🏉. We must’ve only crossed over for about a year or two. Can’t think of anyone I knew your age (I’m 53 now so I’m guessing you’ll be 48/49)

In around 81/82 we picked 11 guys out of the rugby team and played the football team.... and beat them. It was pretty much like you’d imagine, lots of strength and long balls and no finesse hahaha

Hibs Nil
21 hours ago, grumpy rebus said:

I hadn’t heard about Badger. That’s a shame. He was great, so long as you were into your rugby 🏉. We must’ve only crossed over for about a year or two. Can’t think of anyone I knew your age (I’m 53 now so I’m guessing you’ll be 48/49)

In around 81/82 we picked 11 guys out of the rugby team and played the football team.... and beat them. It was pretty much like you’d imagine, lots of strength and long balls and no finesse hahaha

I just turned 50 - went into first year in 81. Think the old bloke must have been 90-odd and spot on re rugby!

TexasAndy

Brilliant thread this.  I wasn't much of a player but played for Preston Street Primary beside Colin More who went on to play for Hearts around 1980.  Would have gone to Jimmy Clarks but that shut so ended up at Boroughmuir.  There was no football team in 1st year at that time so I ended up playing Rugby right through rest of my school years.  I was quite decent at rugby and was advised to join the FPs when I left school but I didn't because I watched Hearts on a Saturday (and i'm talking late 70s when we were really really p*sh).  Went back to playing Sunday league football.  

hueyview
On 16/01/2020 at 16:24, John Findlay said:

We played in the same school team? Mr McManus the gaffer?

Seems like a lifetime ago....

Mr McManus the tech drawing/ woodwork teacher?

Used to play him at church snooker years later.

I remember the Rugby being taken by Andy Kerr, Scotland player, and Mr Ellis.

I played 3 or 4 football games in 1978, I think.

There was an emphasis on Rugby..

grumpy rebus
3 hours ago, Hibs Nil said:

I just turned 50 - went into first year in 81. Think the old bloke must have been 90-odd and spot on re rugby!

I was 3 years above you (started in 78).  Did you have Bobby Moncur’s son in your year? And maybe even Tony Ford’s younger kid? 

John Findlay
1 hour ago, hueyview said:

Seems like a lifetime ago....

Mr McManus the tech drawing/ woodwork teacher?

Used to play him at church snooker years later.

I remember the Rugby being taken by Andy Kerr, Scotland player, and Mr Ellis.

I played 3 or 4 football games in 1978, I think.

There was an emphasis on Rugby..

That's the very teacher. Mr Ellis took a dislike for me when I wouldnt play scrum half for him at rugby as I much preferred football. An ex English teacher now does the stats on the laptop for our city neighbours.

hueyview
1 hour ago, John Findlay said:

That's the very teacher. Mr Ellis took a dislike for me when I wouldnt play scrum half for him at rugby as I much preferred football. An ex English teacher now does the stats on the laptop for our city neighbours.

Never really got on with Mr Ellis and McGascoigne (I think his name was)

Kerr was a great lad...  Had me doing weights in Jimmy clark annex..  

Said i was not even good enough to play for the 78 Scotland team.......  :)

You must have been there when it changed from all girls school.

Really enjoyed that time playing in the meadows with Gillespie and Bouroughuir lads...

John Findlay
15 minutes ago, hueyview said:

Never really got on with Mr Ellis and McGascoigne (I think his name was)

Kerr was a great lad...  Had me doing weights in Jimmy clark annex..  

Said i was not even good enough to play for the 78 Scotland team.......  :)

You must have been there when it changed from all girls school.

Really enjoyed that time playing in the meadows with Gillespie and Bouroughuir lads...

Yeah I was in the first group of boys that went to Chalmers Street in 1975, 80 of us to 700 girls. I think you will no Stuart McGinnie. I was with his older brother Michael at Chalmers Street.

garybwick

Greendykes  primary 1974-1977, we won pretty much everything, same team as Kieth Wright, 

Edina just after that same team as Robbo and Kieth wright

Cavalry Park 

Mayfield, then Saint Bernards Captain under 21s Brief spell with Linlithgow rose.

hueyview
11 minutes ago, John Findlay said:

Yeah I was in the first group of boys that went to Chalmers Street in 1975, 80 of us to 700 girls. I think you will no Stuart McGinnie. I was with his older brother Michael at Chalmers Street.

Yeah i grew up with those lads....

Stuart was a top player, given training as a lad..  Tipped for Hibs (his team) or Hearts.....

Michael passed away young...  Always liked him a bit of a scamp/up to dodgy things...

hueyview
3 minutes ago, garybwick said:

Greendykes  primary 1974-1977, we won pretty much everything, same team as Kieth Wright, 

Edina just after that same team as Robbo and Kieth wright

Cavalry Park 

Mayfield, then Saint Bernards Captain under 21s Brief spell with Linlithgow rose.

That was a good generation of Edinburgh young players...  Always thought never got the national recognition...   Robbo being a good example.. Should have got more Caps

John Findlay
5 minutes ago, hueyview said:

Yeah i grew up with those lads....

Stuart was a top player, given training as a lad..  Tipped for Hibs (his team) or Hearts.....

Michael passed away young...  Always liked him a bit of a scamp/up to dodgy things...

Miggie, went in 2005 RIP.

garybwick
20 minutes ago, hueyview said:

That was a good generation of Edinburgh young players...  Always thought never got the national recognition...   Robbo being a good example.. Should have got more Caps

Yeah definitely, played Edinburgh school boys trials some great players were there , Yogi, Micky Weir, was the stand out for me, Paul Cherry ,didn't rate him much back then, but a great crop of players, plenty others that didn't make it either.

hueyview
53 minutes ago, John Findlay said:

Miggie, went in 2005 RIP.

Yeah...  Used to play the snooker with him 30 years ago.... God bless him.  His dad was my friend.

Can remember lads from your year.. Tony Spence.,Tippy Turnbull, Barbour Etc.and ms McCartan my first girlfriend

We were primarily Rugby rather than football school..

But your right about all the girls...

St Tams had a reputation for the women..  :)

hueyview
39 minutes ago, garybwick said:

Yeah definitely, played Edinburgh school boys trials some great players were there , Yogi, Micky Weir, was the stand out for me, Paul Cherry ,didn't rate him much back then, but a great crop of players, plenty others that didn't make it either.

He's here there every f...king where... Mikey Weir...  Must admit I liked the wee Hibbie

Morgan
4 minutes ago, hueyview said:

But your right about all the girls...

St Tams had a reputation for the women..  :)

Wee dirties from, amongst other places, Oxgangs

miltonjambo
1 hour ago, John Findlay said:

I was in that year too. Played in the footy team as well.

sac

Started off racing lollipop sticks down the gutter when it rained & never lost 1960’s. Stealing apples & was never caught & a good konker player early 70’s. Played  fitba Tynie High school during break times in between smoking in the sheds, then on Tynecastle  boys club 1975-78 (Table Tennis) decent level. 
Now golfing & fishing. Jack of all trades me, master of fcck all😉

Edited by sac
Spelling

Hibs Nil
4 hours ago, grumpy rebus said:

I was 3 years above you (started in 78).  Did you have Bobby Moncur’s son in your year? And maybe even Tony Ford’s younger kid? 

Michael Ford was the year above me I think. Played for Leicester City as I recall. Brian Welsh (Dundee Utd / Hibs) was in my year. Cannae mind Bobby Moncur's son - what was his name?

Tynieman

I played for Hearts when I was much younger. Didn’t get a game and was chucked out by the time I hit 13.

Then joined a club called Caley boys club where I was relatively successful, winning player of the year and captaining the club before they folded.

I was offered to join Hutchie after they scouted me, but decided against it and stayed with Caley.

I left the club when I was 16 and they subsequently folded.

I also got trials with the Edinburgh select.

Footballfirst

I played alongside Doug Rougvie at primary school and in the Life Boys in Ballingry. I was never good enough to get near the school team at Beath Senior High as they already had a decent squad with Jim Leishman, Dick Campbell, his twin brother Ian Campbell and the then Scottish Schools captain, Gordon Pate. I ended up playing hockey.

Edited by Footballfirst

grumpy rebus
6 hours ago, Hibs Nil said:

Michael Ford was the year above me I think. Played for Leicester City as I recall. Brian Welsh (Dundee Utd / Hibs) was in my year. Cannae mind Bobby Moncur's son - what was his name?

Mile Ford was in my year, but his wee brother was 2 or 3 years below me. I think it was Paul Moncur, but it’s a long time ago 😂😂😂. I completely forgot about Brian. My wee sister went out with him. He’s in US now and married to one of the MacDougal girls, or at least he was last I heard

TheBigO

My first team was Edina Hibs!!! Used to wear my Hearts shirt under my strip.

thegreatsd

Cranston primary School 85-89

Sherwood boys club 86-87

Dalkeith High 89-90

Glenfarg United Amateurs 92-94

Those dates are fairly approximate as my memory is rubbish! It’s quite sad typing this as at the young age of 43 just now I am starting to realise my childhood dream of playing for Hearts is probably not going to happen. 😢

Hibs Nil
1 hour ago, grumpy rebus said:

Mile Ford was in my year, but his wee brother was 2 or 3 years below me. I think it was Paul Moncur, but it’s a long time ago 😂😂😂. I completely forgot about Brian. My wee sister went out with him. He’s in US now and married to one of the MacDougal girls, or at least he was last I heard

Aye, you’re spot on and I do remember Paul Moncur. Was Jonathan Ashman in your year? Think he had a trial for Rangers.

wheatfield to sheffield

Blackhall primary

Broughton primary

then when I went to Broughton High in 1981 there was no football for 1st years because they imagined Broughton was a rugby school!

and then from 2nd year it was the teachers strike, so no school football at all

but oddly I did then play for

Broughton High School staff 1987-88

Craigroyston High school staff 88-90

Gotham City 1989-1995

and occasionally Gotham Legends since then

Wardlaw67
On 10/07/2012 at 22:09, DG_HMFC said:

Craiglockhart Primary

Tynecastle High School

Merchiston Boys Club

That’s identical to my CV

I also played for Central AFC in the Sunday church league 

ArcticJambo
2 hours ago, wheatfield to sheffield said:

Blackhall primary

Broughton primary

then when I went to Broughton High in 1981 there was no football for 1st years because they imagined Broughton was a rugby school!

Gotham City 1989-1995

Ohh? Where's Ronnie these days?

grumpy rebus
5 hours ago, Hibs Nil said:

Aye, you’re spot on and I do remember Paul Moncur. Was Jonathan Ashman in your year? Think he had a trial for Rangers.

The name doesn’t ring any bells, but I’m lucky to remember my own name these days. My year had Keith Jardine who was a decent player and obviously Mike Ford could play a bit. 

Callum Murray, the referee was the year below me. 

wheatfield to sheffield
5 hours ago, wheatfield to sheffield said:

Blackhall primary

Broughton primary

Gotham City 1989-1995

3 hours ago, ArcticJambo said:

Dr Ronnie W, the glorious creator of Gotham, is a lecturer at Strathclyde Uni

Magic Numbers

Well, back in the late 80s and very early 90s I was the first choice right back for Buckhaven High School.

Played in a couple of Fife Schools Cup finals and we reached the quarter finals of the Scottish one year, going out to a Dunfries Academy team who had a standout striker who tormented us for the whole game. Think he scored 4 as we went down 4-2. 

Played against Steven Pressley once with the school team and still bear the scars.  Played against a few that went on to local teams around Fife like Raith, Cowden, East Fife but no one of note other than SP as far as I know although I'd be surprised if the guy from Dumfries didn't go on to play for a decent team.

ArcticJambo
6 hours ago, wheatfield to sheffield said:

Dr Ronnie W, the glorious creator of Gotham, is a lecturer at Strathclyde Uni

Nice one.  He'll be spewing the night.  Quite the coincidence that this has all happened today, of all days vs Airdrie.

You mentioned the Gotham Legends, where/when do they get together?  Maybe I'll pm you!

gator
On 10/06/2016 at 21:58, Carrick1874 said:

Dalry Primary

North Merchieston

Medwin Star

Gorgie Hearts

The back garden with my two boys

That is the club I have been trying to remember the name of, I brought a High School team from Canada I was coaching over on a UK tour in 1990, we played the U18's from this club, we were terribly over matched, it was our only loss on the tour!

wheatfield to sheffield
1 hour ago, ArcticJambo said:

Nice one.  He'll be spewing the night.  Quite the coincidence that this has all happened today, of all days vs Airdrie.

You mentioned the Gotham Legends, where/when do they get together?  Maybe I'll pm you!

The only Airdrie supporter I have ever known!

Gotham Legends annual match against current Gotham City team end of every season (Gotham are still going in Edinburgh Sunday amateurs League). pm me for more.

The White Cockade
On 16/01/2020 at 10:12, ScottieMac17 said:

Bonnyrigg Rose

Hobos Youth team

Salvesen BC

Livingston

Currie Star

Bonnyrigg Rose

Civil Service Strollers Jnrs

Whitehill Jnrs

Selkirk Jnrs

When did you play for the Rose?

My cousin Ally Reid was there a good few seasons

Muirhoose Fergie

Flora Stevenson's PS 1968 -69 the mouldmaster days, then played rugby at Royal High '70 -'73 before joining Longstone Hearts BC for couple of seasons '74-'75 (?). Won Scottish Cup with Sea Cadets football team in '73!

Continued to kick for couple Powderhall / Leith Walk area amateur teams thereafter - happy daze!

Edited by Muirhoose Fergie
I forgot a bit

heartsfan

Viewforth (Under 10s to Under 12s) - 1987-1990 (We were utter shit .... had great players but couldn't play together though we did put Tynecastle Boys club out of the Scottish Cup one year ... 2-1 I scored both goals and my Dad was raging. Lol.)

Menstrie Primary 1990 (Beat Coalsnaughton Primary on my debut 18-2 ... I scored 16!! Pity it was only 5 a side)

Carse Thistle (Under 16s) 1991-1993 (A great Carse team though no one went on to bigger things - Ron Philliben helped run the team ... who was either John Phillibens Dad or Uncle ... I can't remember)

Scott Severin in many of my High School classes at Alva Academy, although I never played for the school team as I was playing with Carse at the time.

Edited by heartsfan
Added Info

Fxxx the SPFL

Roseburn primary mid to late sixties we were pish we could only beat Donaldson's deaf and dumb school team if i remember correctly. Me and the younger brothers lived in Wheatfield place we only got sent to Roseburn as our late parents thought we would receive a better education than Craiglockhart, Dalry or Balgreen i think you could pick any in school in those days.

hmfc_steve
On 17/01/2020 at 22:33, hueyview said:

He's here there every f...king where... Mikey Weir...  Must admit I liked the wee Hibbie

Seem to remember different words to that wee tune. 🙂

ArcticJambo
On 18/01/2020 at 19:57, wheatfield to sheffield said:

The only Airdrie supporter I have ever known!

Gotham Legends annual match against current Gotham City team end of every season (Gotham are still going in Edinburgh Sunday amateurs League). pm me for more.

PM sent!

ScottieMac17
On 18/01/2020 at 20:07, The White Cockade said:

When did you play for the Rose?

My cousin Ally Reid was there a good few seasons

Played for the rose around 97 and then in again in 2009ish

wheatfield to sheffield
On 10/07/2012 at 22:28, alfamonkey said:

Edina Hibs (the shame ....) u10's around 1986 or so

Leith Primary

Broughton Boys Club U13s/U14s/U15s c1990-1993ish

10th Leith BB 1989 - 1995

Gotham City c1996/7

Annfield Pub c1998

Hi Alfa - there's been a bit more Gotham chat eight years after your post!

On 18/01/2020 at 06:33, wheatfield to sheffield said:

Blackhall primary

Broughton primary

Gotham City 1989-1995

On 18/01/2020 at 08:59, ArcticJambo said:

Apache Mal
On ‎19‎/‎01‎/‎2020 at 09:38, Muirhoose Fergie said:

Flora Stevenson's PS 1968 -69 the mouldmaster days

It was still mouldmasters in the early 90's at primary school level.

Punks No Deid

Parkhead Primary (West Calder)

Polbeth Utd

West Calder High School

then I discovered wine, women & song 

grumpyespana

Played for Thornton Primary in the mid sixties that's where I got my nick name ( Tuesday ) that's the night I scored nine goals, then moved on to playing for Auchmuty school on a Saturday morning then the Golden acorn in the afternoon. When I was about sixteen I played with Harry Kinnear at Wemyss Hearts then spent years playing in the Fife juniors with Thornton hibs,Francis Collery, Newburgh, Lochgelly albert, Oakley united, St Andrews united. Years later I was told by a workmate ( united scout ) that Dundee un were watching me I even scored two goals that day but was to old at twenty three as Jim McLean was signing the likes of Andy Gray at the time lol. 

sicknote

Noticed there are a few on here through the Dalkeith High around my age.

I was a good player, but not ashamed to admit it now I'm older, didn't have the bottle for a challenge back then. That's what held me back.

Played for a few teams including Dalkeith High (included Grant Brembner before he headed off to Man U), trained at Hearts youth during Bobby Jenks time (Joe Jordan era). Went off to Medowbank Thistle for a few training sessions, after being beastied up and down Arthur's seat by Leishman and Co in winter, I'd had enough. Stopped playing, moved to Aberdeen, eventually starting back up in the amateur leagues for a couple of season with Newtonhill.

When back in Edinburgh I started playing in my works team, this gave me my favorite playing memory. Not because the team or I won anything of significance, purely as a result of how funny a couple of our games were. There is a good chance one or two folks on here will know or have been involved in these games. To set the scene I worked for a small company in the financial sector in Edinburgh, at this time all the finance and legal houses like to play one another. Some of these companies are pretty big and therefore have a large pool of players, ex pro's and the sorts. Anyway our firm was so small we could barely muster a team. What we did have was an guy who was currently plying his trade for Brechin but started his career at Dundee United, later went into management in the Juniors. He helped us with a few ringers. We had guys playing for us that were between SPL or Div 1 clubs, ex internationals. The whole thing was just ridiculous, but to see the oppositions faces was priceless. Many of the guys playing were under contract elsewhere and really should not have been playing (Although at one point two were technically suspended from there SPL Club so fair game we thought). We didn't lose many games while he worked with us.

Although not naming names, some on here will have played us and know. 🙂