The OFFICIAL Wimbledon thread

Dusk_Till_Dawn

Dusk_Till_Dawn

The draw has been made and the countdown is on.

Andy Murray paired with Nikolay Davydenko in the first round.

I shall now retire to carefully consider my verdict on Murray's chances of winning SW19.

Back shortly.

Next to no chance, I like Murray but this isn't his surface and that's a tricky first round seeing the grass form he is in.

I will have a 'lay' on Murray and hopefully he'll lose the first set then I'll switch and hopefully win a few bucks regardless of who wins.

If he makes the semis he'll be doing well. He has Karlovic, Ferrer and Nadal in his half, which is fecking hard.

Dusk_Till_Dawn

If he makes the semis he'll be doing well. He has Karlovic, Ferrer and Nadal in his half, which is fecking hard.

O ye of little faith

I dislike Murray and not just because he's a Hibs fan either. He comes across as an arrogant, moody wee tosser. The two are probably interconnected.

Will be rooting for Nadal.

Doubt he'll do it but you can never say never.

The last few times it's been a bit of a breeze to the semi finals, going to be a lot harder to progress to that stage this year.

Murray won't get throught the quarters this year. I would like to see him win it though. :thumbsup:

gordon_hmfc

I've applied for tickets the last 3 years but every time no reply. :sob:

On the bright side though, I'm confident Murray will be able to make the semis (before crashing out to Nadal again).

18Jambo_dave74

I expect he'll get to the semi's and will be up against Nadal. I wouldn't rule him out against Nadal either.

Just think that with him losing his last 4 matches and England still in the Euro's (at the moment) I reckon he won't be quite as built up this year and that may suit him.

Looking forward to it starting though :thumbsup:

I P Knightley

I dislike Murray and not just because he's a Hibs fan either. He comes across as an arrogant, moody wee tosser. The two are probably interconnected.

I've not come across too many arrogant Hibs fans in recent months...

I've not come across too many arrogant Hibs fans in recent months...

I meant the moody part

:look:

Either way, I think he comes across as a prick

Eldar Hadzimehmedovic

I really don't get this Murray is arrogant chat. He's an aloof wee dick sometimes but on the court he's not arrogant enough. He looks like he couldn't give a toss half the time.

I agree. I hope he gets gubbed as early as possible.

I really don't get this Murray is arrogant chat. He's an aloof wee dick sometimes but on the court he's not arrogant enough. He looks like he couldn't give a toss half the time.

Just like his football team. Hopefully emptied early doors.

shaun.lawson

Big trouble for Murray in this draw. Big, big trouble. Struggling since mid-February, the progress evident in Australia not built upon since at all, his coaching relationship with Lendl looking more and more unconvincing... and a new wave of dangerous young guns likely to mow him down before much longer.

Given all that, the last thing he needed was the prospect of Davydenko then Karlovic then Baghdatis then Cilic or Raonic (keep an eye on the latter: he's dangerous, very dangerous) then Del Potro, Ferrer or Roddick just to get to a semi-final with Nadal in which he'd have next to no chance. If he reaches a fourth straight Wimbledon semi, he'll have done very, very well: I think it'll end for him in round 4, though.

Elsewhere, I see no dangers lurking in Djokovic's draw at all - and the big question ahead of this tournament is whether Nadal's win in Paris has wrested the psychological advantage back from the world number one. Given that in Melbourne at the start of the year, Rafa was palpably closing in on Nole, who had to play like a streetfighter to hold him off, I'm saying he has - and that it would be an awesome effort for Djokovic to regather himself so quickly after coming heartbreakingly close to holding all four Grand Slams at the same time.

Nadal will need to avoid the Tsonga banana skin in the last eight, mind - but his record in SW19 is so good, there ought to be "Keep off the grass" signs while he's playing. Then, finally, there's Federer. A number of pundits are tipping him to defy Old Father Time and actually win the whole thing - but for myself, I think he's overdue a total flameout against someone ridiculous. Gilles Muller in round 3, someone daft like that.

Predictions

Semi-Finals

Djokovic v Tipsarevic

Nadal v Del Potro

Final

Djokovic v Nadal

Champion

Nadal

shaun.lawson

Tipsy won't be making any Wimbledon semi final, Shaun :lol:

If Federer bombs out as I think he will, it has to be Tipsy or Isner from that quarter really.

Dusk_Till_Dawn

If Federer bombs out as I think he will, it has to be Tipsy or Isner from that quarter really.

I fancy isner to have a good tournie

Got my freebie tickets sorted...

:verysmug:

...for women's final day

:sob:

I pray for your sake it's a couple of tidy ones.

No other reason to watch women's tennis.

Tommy Wiseau

I'll offer you 20 quid to Hearts Youth Development if Tipsarevic makes the semi, Shaun. :)

Assuming he doesn't uppercut the umpire, or something, Nabandian could give Tipsarevic a run for his money in the 1st round.

I notice in the same section that Isner could face Mahut again in the 2nd round. I think that's the 3rd year running that they would have faced each other - maybe the ATP are looking for another epic match :lol:

shaun.lawson

I'll offer you 20 quid to Hearts Youth Development if Tipsarevic makes the semi, Shaun. :)

:lol:

No chance. <_<

Tommy Wiseau

:lol:

No chance. <_<

Too small time eh?

Let's make it the Therapist Usual Bet © then :)

Randy Marsh

Looking forward to this. There is always a few players that spring a suprise every year by progressing far in the tournament that you would not expect. This year I think we should watch out for Brian Baker as I reckon he could shock a few people.

Order of play for tomorrow.

Centre Court

Novak Djokovic (SRB)[1] v Juan Carlos Ferrero (ESP)

Maria Sharapova (RUS)[1] v Anastasia Rodionova (AUS)

Ernests Gulbis (LAT) v Tomas Berdych (CZE)[6]

No.1 Court

David Nalbandian (ARG) v Janko Tipsarevic (SRB)[8]

Roger Federer (SUI)[3] v Albert Ramos (ESP)

Kim Clijsters (BEL) v Jelena Jankovic (SRB)[18]

Gregory House M.D.

It's about time the shitebag just stopped turning up for his annual humiliation.

A glutton for punishment is that Hibs fud, a glutton for ******* punishment

I P Knightley

Looks like Tipsy is on his way to knocking out the Argentian karate kid.

Going to be a tight match for Tipsy but after that, no reasoin why he can't make the semis. Good, gritty player so he is.

shaun.lawson

20/100 quid bet still on the table, Lawson. :)

And not being taken up. My bank balance has taken enough damage over the last few days: Tipsy will only make the semis if I don't bet on him. :ermm:

Tommy Wiseau

And not being taken up. My bank balance has taken enough damage over the last few days: Tipsy will only make the semis if I don't bet on him. :ermm:

Aye, that's what it all hinges on Shaun :rofl:

shaun.lawson

I'm here all week folks

That's Tipsy's main threat in that quarter gone already, then. :turned:

I P Knightley

I'm here all week folks

...unlike Isner. Arf, arf!

This is the good thing about men's tennis. Up to the QFs of a slam, it's very unpredictable.

Glad to see the back of Isner, though. He's got a horrid style of tennis.

Hoping for Murray to do the business on Diddydonkey tomorrow; Oli Golding let us down today by allowing a Russian to beat him. The noises coming from the Murray camp about his back (via Djokovic) aren't too promising at all so I'm not expecting an easy ride. As with all Diddydonkey matches, though, a lot depends on what the syndicates want.

Alledgedly.

I was interested to hear John Inverdale discussing the Euros.

"Now that the Euros are over..."

What?

Have I slept for a week?!

Tommy Wiseau

Davydenko is shite on grass. He saves himself up for the big money hard court tournaments at the end of the season every single year and then goes into hibernation :lol:

Murray in no more than 4 tomorrow.

Straight sets loss coming up now I've said that :lol:

Stupid Sexy Flanders

Opened this thread expecting pics of Sharapova et al. Instead I find you all discussing tennis! A new low for JKB?!

I P Knightley

Nadal finding the going tough in the first set.

0-4 down with Bellucci having played some Nadal-like screamers to take the breaks.

No sooner posted than Bellucci completely fluffed with an open court waiting...

Might be a wee bit behind cos I'm on the SlamTracker but Nadal appears to be 4-0 down in first set against Bellucci....

Murray on after. I'm otherwise engaged this evening though so unlikely I'll see any. Boo.

Thought Davydenko's comments were more amusing than anything else. The Mail is such a scallywag.

Archived