South Morocco - have we really played there?

Andrew Gilbert Wauchope

Andrew Gilbert Wauchope

I was reminded of this by Walter Kidd's slightly incoherent posting last night. You all know the song "Have you seen the Heart of Midlothian, Have you seen them in maroon...". We've all sung the bit that goes "they have played in South Morocco, they have played in the USA..." - but have we?

I remember at least one tour of America in the 70s; there may have been more. But I don't ever remember Hearts setting off,either at the end of a season or pre-season, for a North African tour that includes any kind of kickabout in the Maghreb. Not that it would have been a problem - any team that has gubbed the Hubs on the Easter Road slope would have no trouble with games in the Atlas Mountains.

So - any ideas? Just artistic licence, or were we really there?

The Real Maroonblood
'We have BEEN to south Marocco, we have played in the USA'.

................but the greatest game in history is the game on New Years Day.

'We have BEEN to south Morocco, we have played in the USA'.

I believe we rejected a couple of trialists that day........ ;)

I think the thing I detest most about the reptiles is that they have started singing this most glorious of Hearts songs - albeit with their own cretinous lyrics - and are now claiming it as their own. I have heard young reptiles saying it is a Hibs song. Do these people have no shame?

I think the thing I detest most about the reptiles is that they have started singing this most glorious of Hearts songs - albeit with their own cretinous lyrics - and are now claiming it as their own. I have heard young reptiles saying it is a Hibs song. Do these people have no shame?

To be fair we used to sing 'Hail Hail' in the '70s. ::ninja:

To be fair we used to sing 'Hail Hail' in the '70s. ::ninja:

We used to sing a lot of things in the Shed when I were a lad. Fortunately most of us left them behind once our balls dropped! I remember the game at Easter Road when Fat Harper scored against us in a 1-0 defeat - was in the enclosure of the old Hobo main stand that day and saw the most gigantic display of Hearts scarves in a "Never Walk Alone" on the terracing opposite. Changed days!

'We have BEEN to south Marocco, we have played in the USA'.

Always ****es me off when people seen played in South Morrocco. It's been to South Morrocco, people.

Always ****es me off when people seen played in South Morrocco. It's been to South Morrocco, people.

Yup, me too!

It's like when people call Goncalves ho-say when infact it's Jo-say.

Spanish - ho-say

Portugese - Jo-say

It's the small things that can really feck up a great life...........:o

Slightly incoherent???

I admit to being completely made of rubber. Apologies to one and all.

Imagine if your name was Johnny.............

john brownlee

Never played in south morrocco

The lryics are we've played at the san marino

but over the years has changed to what we sing to day, It happens but there you are best person to ask is the guy that rights the A-Z of programmes I bet he knows, Gary Cowan

:5643::5643::5643::5643:

I was reminded of this by Walter Kidd's slightly incoherent posting last night. You all know the song "Have you seen the Heart of Midlothian, Have you seen them in maroon...". We've all sung the bit that goes "they have played in South Morocco, they have played in the USA..." - but have we?

I remember at least one tour of America in the 70s; there may have been more. But I don't ever remember Hearts setting off,either at the end of a season or pre-season, for a North African tour that includes any kind of kickabout in the Maghreb. Not that it would have been a problem - any team that has gubbed the Hubs on the Easter Road slope would have no trouble with games in the Atlas Mountains.

So - any ideas? Just artistic licence, or were we really there?

We also haven't won all the honours in footballing art but it sure sounds good

Andrew Gilbert Wauchope
Slightly incoherent???

I admit to being completely made of rubber. Apologies to one and all.

No apologies needed, Zico. We've all been there.

Although we've not all posted on here, while there. Usually, ah cannae see the keyboard, never mind type.

Archived