Boozers in Gorgie - My take on it.

chester copperpot

badly drawn boy
Of the ones I've frequented...

The Polwarth

My old local and the final stop on the cup winning bevvy train. Never been in pre-match, but it's decent for a bit later on after a game and to watch a match if you can't attend.

Golden Rule

First stop once back in Edinburgh after Prague. Great boozer, although I did once get warned away from there by a bunch of Hibs casuals after a derby who were going to "take it".

The Fountain

Just a poor boozer.

McGowans

Wannabe Wetherspoons, although you can't knock the cheap Miller.

The Orwell

Always busy but not too packed, had many the pre and post match pint in there. Will be sad to see it go.

The Ettrick

It's nice and all that, but doesn't feel right on a match day.

The Shandon

Not too busy and pool tables. Good for a change.

BM

Quality old man haunt.

Station Bar

I'm not a fan. It's a craphole without the charm.

Stratties

Legendary. Minging to look at but full of character. Scene of many a cup final pint, and a convenient hop, skip and a jump to my old seat in the main stand.

Tynie Arms

The quintessential Hearts boozer. Venue for Bordeaux and Basle away. Good memories.

Robbos

If you're that way inclined then fine. It has a good party atmosphere etc, but I'm afraid the racism is a bit much for me. And I'm pretty thick skinned.

Balmoral

Eurgh.

Ardmillan

Much like the Orwell, busy but usually not too bad. Close to the doctor's if you drink too much. Did get glassed here once (shoulder).

Dickens

You can always buy Kenny a pint...

Tynie arms a Hearts boozer , in there pre xmas , when a couple of Hearts fans started to sing the Hearts song , told straight off -well have none of that and wanted them to leave

In said discussion with the owner , he said he cared nothing for Hearts and it was his misfortune that his pub was situated near to the club

Given the place is decked in the clubs colours and covered in memorabilia , they are happy enough to take the supporters money , but there is how they really feel

Taking the p---

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Tynie arms a Hearts boozer , in there pre xmas , when a couple of Hearts fans started to sing the Hearts song , told straight off -well have none of that and wanted them to leave

In said discussion with the owner , he said he cared nothing for Hearts and it was his misfortune that his pub was situated near to the club

Given the place is decked in the clubs colours and covered in memorabilia , they are happy enough to take the supporters money , but there is how they really feel

Taking the p---

Same happened to us last season. Told to stop singing Hearts songs a couple of hours after the game when the crowd had cleared. Know for a fact the manager is a Hibs fan and the staff are always dour faced *******s.

Still, I go there on all home games that isn't Celtic, Rangers or Hibs. For them, I go to Robbos.

Heehee

So much for going home after the Diggers, BigH.... :P

Now I know why I got the abusive texts.:)

For the record, I told you and yours that I was going to meet those that I left in the Tynie Arms, for two reasons, 1) I preferred more alcohol instead of going in town for food. 2) I told the guys that I was to meet post match and missed due to going to a different pub that I would catch up with them after a few in Diggers. I called and they were in Robbo's.

Okidoki? ;)

Now I know why I got the abusive texts.:)

For the record, I told you and yours that I was going to meet those that I left in the Tynie Arms, for two reasons, 1) I preferred more alcohol instead of going in town for food. 2) I told the guys that I was to meet post match and missed due to going to a different pub that I would catch up with them after a few in Diggers. I called and they were in Robbo's.

Okidoki? ;)

Do you remember phoning me????

Are you ok mate? Are you sure you ok? Are you ok?

Me"yes, al, are you drunk al?"

Are you ok mate?

And on and on and on.

robbo's for me.

after ra gemme, was a nightmare on saturday tho'. went to diggers first then came down & it was stll 4 deep @ the bar!

only started since change of manager methinks.

still no.1 choice.

before games its normally ardmillan & sometimes after as well!

Robbos all morning then after the game we went to Ryries followed by Rose street. Got home at about 1 or 2 or 3 or something like that :confused: Completely minging. Usual haunt for us is Robbos for the big three and the Fountain for the rest. Always drank in the Tynie arms but a couple of years ago we got told to stop singing the hearts song therefore we promtly left and havn't been back :)

Taking the p---

The Tynie Arms can GTF. I hate the place after similar experience.

I like the bar staff to be friendly and hospitable. Thats why we go to the Diggers.

Can't beat it.

The Tynie Arms can GTF. I hate the place after similar experience.

I like the bar staff to be friendly and hospitable. Thats why we go to the Diggers.

Can't beat it.

I'm almost certain We've been told to stop singing in the Diggers in the past also :confused:

I'm almost certain We've been told to stop singing in the Diggers in the past also :confused:

Every time.

However, the staff are brilliant. Also, it's a great historical venue to be a part of. That's why I like it.

Every time.

However, the staff are brilliant. Also, it's a great historical venue to be a part of. That's why I like it.

i got bollock along with a few others on saturday but wtf great day great pub:):)

Cheers Troon..

Must mention the memoribllia in Dickens for the Jambo's who have'nt been in, We have one of Robbo's cup final shirts from 98 and Pressley's from 06.

The Willie Bauld wall is self explanatory, and amongst the World champions from boxing,snooker and cycling we have another 3 jambo autographed items.

Autographs from 1930 season from jambo's as well as programmes from 1960-1970. Thee Dave Mckay picture (you know the one) along with possibly the only squad picture from 2006 with Romanov,the submariners and all the players.

Anyone wanting to come in just for a look round is welcome as are any jambo's fond of a pint;)

There are many more items/pictures,if anybody has any rare items for sale let me know.:rolleyes:

Cheers Troon..

Must mention the memoribllia in Dickens for the Jambo's who have'nt been in, We have one of Robbo's cup final shirts from 98 and Pressley's from 06.

The Willie Bauld wall is self explanatory, and amongst the World champions from boxing,snooker and cycling we have another 3 jambo autographed items.

Autographs from 1930 season from jambo's as well as programmes from 1960-1970. Thee Dave Mckay picture (you know the one) along with possibly the only squad picture from 2006 with Romanov,the submariners and all the players.

Anyone wanting to come in just for a look round is welcome as are any jambo's fond of a pint;)

There are many more items/pictures,if anybody has any rare items for sale let me know.:rolleyes:

I went in for the first time recently and there was a heck of a lot of hearts stuff on the walls. Two questions.

1. Why the name Dickens?

2. Is it Upper or Lower Dalry? :)

I went in for the first time recently

Dave, any truth in the rumour that you only went in because they were doing a "half and a half" for ?1.50 for people of your vintage? :)

Dave, any truth in the rumour that you only went in because they were doing a "half and a half" for ?1.50 for people of your vintage? :)

Damn, I must have missed that. :rolleyes:

I went in for the first time recently and there was a heck of a lot of hearts stuff on the walls. Two questions.

1. Why the name Dickens?

2. Is it Upper or Lower Dalry? :)

1. Approx 30 years ago it was opened as a pub, The Taylor family named it Dickens possibly as he enjoyed Charlie's scribes.

2. Definetely upper Dalry, West end postcode;)

PS...DEFINETELY NOT putting one of yon free scarves up!!!!!

Every time.

Also your wife knows where to find you...;)

Archived