Manager Rumor

Cardiac Rucksack

Cardiac Rucksack

Right my first ever rumor and I have to say that its not that great a source but, my dad was playing golf this morning with the nextdoor neighbour of Mark Mcghee's brother, he was told this morning that Hearts have been given permission to speak to Mcghee and he flew to Lithuania last to speak with Vlad.

This is in no way 100% reliable and as I say I have had it third or fourth hand, after his comments about not leaving Motherwell until the summer. I am not even sure if I believe it at all, but thought I should pass it on.

I await the abuse.

winston churchill
Right my first ever rumor and I have to say that its not that great a source but, my dad was playing golf this morning with the nextdoor neighbour of Mark Mcghee's brother, he was told this morning that Hearts have been given permission to speak to Mcghee and he flew to Lithuania last to speak with Vlad.

This is in no way 100% reliable and as I say I have had it third or fourth hand, after his comments about not leaving Motherwell until the summer. I am not even sure if I believe it at all, but thought I should pass it on.

I await the abuse.

he has been quoted saying, he wont leave motherwell this season.

Not even for the scotland job so i think it is safe to assume this is complete bollox.

I await the abuse.

And quite rightly too!!

Cardiac Rucksack

Yeah I heard that as well. This could be pi?h, My dad says the guy def lives next to Mcghees brother so he may know whats going on. I dont know wether or not it would be a move to be made in the summer or what. As I say I am just passing on some info and I am not saying its def going to happen.

Cardiac Rucksack
And quite rightly too!!

If thats as strong as it gets then I wont be heading for my bunker just yet.

I think if we went back over all the "I've never posted a rumour before" posts, that would give us some idea of the likelihood of this one being correct.

But please keep them coming.

FWIW Nobody I know has been approached about the Hearts job.

the voice from above

I'd be more than happy to ride out the rest of the season with shaggy if it meant we'd get mcghee in the summer... as long as souness doesn't get the scotland job!!

awadooningorgie2

If there was some truth in this, surely Campbell Ogilvie would be in an awkward position? He can't offer McGhee two jobs at the same time can he?????????

Cardiac Rucksack
I'd be more than happy to ride out the rest of the season with shaggy if it meant we'd get mcghee in the summer... as long as souness doesn't get the scotland job!!

He hasnt offered the job to Mcghee he will just be on the interview panel. It would obviously be Mcghee choice where he went.

I would have thought it would have been in a paper somewhere, but the guy was apparently insistent thats where he went. Bit weird before Tuesday night aswell.

hard a strong rumour last night that Frail will be given the job at least till the end of the season....good source ...ex hearts player..

Patrick Bateman

I'd take this with a pinch of salt, but IF McGhee were to dump Motherwell for us, imagine the uproar it would cause. For him to leave 'Well at this time would no doubt be regarded as a tad... disrespectful and would be a bit of a slap in the face to those left behind.

I'd take this with a pinch of salt, but IF McGhee were to dump Motherwell for us, imagine the uproar it would cause. For him to leave 'Well at this time would no doubt be regarded as a tad... disrespectful and would be a bit of a slap in the face to those left behind.

I agree, it would be funny as f*cck.

:dribble:

hard a strong rumour last night that Frail will be given the job at least till the end of the season....good source ...ex hearts player..

What I expect. Easy option for Romanov. :mad:

I await the abuse.

Sorry - but there is just no chance of this. McGhee did an interview in the Scotsman yesterday in which he pointedly talked up the idea of taking the Scotland job in the summer, and looking after them part-time until then; and also spoke of his ambitions to some day manage in the EPL again. His route to this will involve him either working continued wonders at Motherwell (not likely on 5,000 crowds - though winning the Cup this season would plainly increase his profile), or much more likely, by leading Scotland to the World Cup and doing something significant with them there. Again, McGhee spoke of his regret at never having played for his country at a major tournament, something he'd clearly like to put right.

Yes, things are hopefully on the mend with us now; yes, we have real potential. But it's highly doubtful whether VR will even want to go all guns blazing at challenging the OF until the main stand has been completed: and in the meantime, 3rd is as good as we can realistically do. Why on earth would McGhee leave an excellent job at a club with far, far lower expectations for one where he can't actually achieve much more, and will potentially be compromised by the owner anyway? And moreover, how could he leave 'Well merely for a rival non-OF club after all that's happened there over recent weeks?

Davies and Jefferies are possible options for the Hearts job - but no way in the world will it be Mark McGhee.

McGhee's neighbours daughters boyfriends uncles aunties grandads gardener says he said that he wont come to the Mighty Hearts

Patrick Bateman
And moreover, how could he leave 'Well merely for a rival non-OF club after all that's happened there over recent weeks?

Because Hearts are capable of tripling his wages. Irrespective of what has happened, people RARELY turn down such an offer.

Because Hearts are capable of tripling his wages. Irrespective of what has happened, people RARELY turn down such an offer.

He certainly will, given all the comments he's made about not leaving without Motherwell FC's implicit blessing. And that means Scotland only, I'm afraid. People with the ambition to manage in the EPL are not going to come to Hearts: we might not like that, but it's the reality.

Cardiac Rucksack
He certainly will, given all the comments he's made about not leaving without Motherwell FC's implicit blessing. And that means Scotland only, I'm afraid. People with the ambition to manage in the EPL are not going to come to Hearts: we might not like that, but it's the reality.

If this is true and as I have stated several times I am just passing on some info, its not gospel, then the severance package offered by Herats to Motherwell may have been acceptable. I just think that Hearts would be a better option for Mcghee to progress with. He also likes to play the same systems as Romanov has been playing all season. So may be someone who Romanov believes he can work with?

It's funny, because Hearts are offering a manager more than the SFA.

But they're not offering a path to fame and glory.

john brownlee

Don't you think if magee went anywhere near an airport never mind out of the country every cabbie in the land would be posting on here. As I've said before our new manager will not be scottish, SF dose not have the badges so he might have been a candidate, until such times, as they say one for the future.

:5643::5643::5643::5643:

Just as a matter of intrest is there a time limit on being a temp' manager without the badges.

Cardiac Rucksack
Don't you think if magee went anywhere near an airport never mind out of the country every cabbie in the land would be posting on here. As I've said before our new manager will not be scottish, SF dose not have the badges so he might have been a candidate, until such times, as they say one for the future.

:5643::5643::5643::5643:

Just as a matter of intrest is there a time limit on being a temp' manager without the badges.

Southgate still doesnt have his at Boro, think you have to apply for an extension after 12months

Patrick Bateman
He certainly will, given all the comments he's made about not leaving without Motherwell FC's implicit blessing.

http://www.royals.org/ttbMG.html

I'd like to highlight the following.

"Relief turned to horror, however, as the radio gave a different story. McGhee had had a change of heart the next day and decided leafy Berkshire was not for him. Leicester beckoned and he was off. I was gutted. This cannot be true. When McGhee said he was going to do something he did it. He was a man of his word. Surely he couldn't have lied?

Rumours surfaced in the days following. During the long negotiations McGhee had agreed to stay at Elm Park only as a way to allow him to go home and get some sleep. He was always leaving, he just lied to get out of an awkward situation. Later this was to be confirmed in an interview with one of the Leicester City fanzines, McGhee even made a joke of the whole situation."

McGhee will follow the gold if offered enough.

But they're not offering a path to fame and glory.

Yes, the Hearts job is a terrible job that nobody would want.

Fame and glory with Scotland. :P

http://www.royals.org/ttbMG.html

I'd like to highlight the following.

"Relief turned to horror, however, as the radio gave a different story. McGhee had had a change of heart the next day and decided leafy Berkshire was not for him. Leicester beckoned and he was off. I was gutted. This cannot be true. When McGhee said he was going to do something he did it. He was a man of his word. Surely he couldn't have lied?

Rumours surfaced in the days following. During the long negotiations McGhee had agreed to stay at Elm Park only as a way to allow him to go home and get some sleep. He was always leaving, he just lied to get out of an awkward situation. Later this was to be confirmed in an interview with one of the Leicester City fanzines, McGhee even made a joke of the whole situation."

McGhee will follow the gold if offered enough.

Except that was:

a) Over thirteen years ago - and McGhee's made a point of giving interviews this season in which he's expressed deep regret at what he became known for back then (especially when leaving Leicester to go to Wolves), and

B) It was a move from a First Division club widely considered to be punching well above its weight (this was back well before the Madejski was built) to a bigger, Premiership one.

McGhee is not following the gold any more - and won't make what is at best a sideways move in terms of what both clubs are capable of (both Motherwell and Hearts' maximum involves 3rd place and a Cup win), and a downwards move in terms of league position. Indeed, our only hope of a high calibre candidate ever taking the job again involves us first enjoying a long period of stability and progress, in which the owner proves he has butted out and is happy to leave the running of the team and signings to the manager. At present, all we have in this regard is words - and no manager with half a brain would risk joining us until these words have been turned into real, demonstrable action over a considerable period.

That's why Hearts now are nowhere near the attraction we were when Burley joined. And moreover: if any manager is happy to follow the dough, why do you suppose Mourinho wasn't interested in the Newcastle job? Couldn't be because he has bigger fish to fry, could it?

Yes, the Hearts job is a terrible job that nobody would want.

Fame and glory with Scotland. :P

All he can achieve with Hearts is 3rd place and, perhaps, a Cup: exactly what he'll be hoping for this season at Motherwell in other words, where there's also massively less expectancy, so the job is a whole lot easier.

Whereas the Scotland job offers the chance of managing his country at the biggest tournament the game has to offer, and potentially making a name for himself all over the world!

Yeah, tricky one, isn't it? :blink:

Except that was:

a) Over thirteen years ago - and McGhee's made a point of giving interviews this season in which he's expressed deep regret at what he became known for back then (especially when leaving Leicester to go to Wolves), and

B) It was a move from a First Division club widely considered to be punching well above its weight (this was back well before the Madejski was built) to a bigger, Premiership one.

McGhee is not following the gold any more - and won't make what is at best a sideways move in terms of what both clubs are capable of (both Motherwell and Hearts' maximum involves 3rd place and a Cup win), and a downwards move in terms of league position. Indeed, our only hope of a high calibre candidate ever taking the job again involves us first enjoying a long period of stability and progress, in which the owner proves he has butted out and is happy to leave the running of the team and signings to the manager. At present, all we have in this regard is words - and no manager with half a brain would risk joining us until these words have been turned into real, demonstrable action over a considerable period.

That's why Hearts now are nowhere near the attraction we were when Burley joined. And moreover: if any manager is happy to follow the dough, why do you suppose Mourinho wasn't interested in the Newcastle job? Couldn't be because he has bigger fish to fry, could it?

Did Newcastle approach Mourinho though? Did they offer him ?120,000 per week like at Chelsea?

McGhee also walked out on Leicester last season.

Did Newcastle approach Mourinho though? Did they offer him ?120,000 per week like at Chelsea?

McGhee also walked out on Leicester last season.

No, he walked out on Leicester in 1995/6! He's changed very considerably since then. Newcastle certainly did make approaches: but Chris Mort rapidly acknowledged that they simply couldn't compete with clubs in the CL, thus ruling out the very top calibre individuals. Similarly, Hearts can't compete for the best candidates people have talked about (eg. McGhee) because we're just not attractive enough at the moment - whereas in MM's case, Scotland would be.

I hope he wont get the job

Never forgave him for that semi final when he pushed henry and got away with it

He didn't tell the ref not to give a foul FFS.

Just to clarify things: this is how I see the pecking order in the cases of managers like McGhee, Levein or Davies. I wish it wasn't this way - but do think it is like this, unfortunately:

EPL

Old Firm

Scotland

Championship

Hearts, Aberdeen, Hibs, Dundee United (in that order)

League One

All other SPL clubs

So you can see why both Smith and McLeish left Scotland; why Mowbray left Hibs; or, indeed, why Calderwood stalled on extending his contract at Pittodrie until it became clear a Championship club wouldn't be coming in for him. Of course, this pecking order would suggest that McGhee to Hearts would be a clear upward move for him too - certainly, he's too accomplished a manager to remain at Motherwell for long. And sure: if we'd been run normally for the past couple of years, it would be an option for him: except that Scotland represents a much bigger jump, right back into him being well known throughout British football. And moreover, the fact that he's got Motherwell doing so well, while we're doing so badly, means Hearts just isn't the job that it might otherwise have been.

Think back to the summer. If we'd been run normally, and were just looking for a manager as we've done at various points throughout our history, of course we'd have been a much more attractive proposition than Motherwell. But not now: not when he's being so lauded, and confidently linked with the national job. And what happened with Phil O'Donnell ended any remaining possibility: he can't possibly leave them for another non-OF club, I'm afraid.

200milesfromgorgie

if we where getting a new manager i think it would be done by now. if we do have rumoured players on trail then it must be players frail has had a say in looking at otherwise we wouldnt look at anyone untill we have a new man i charge. thats if the 'contol over the team' isnt a lie.

wish hearts would just come out and say its frail till then end of the season or appoint some one by midweek and bring in gudjonnson, rual,nedved,zidane and what other silly rumours are flying about.

but at the end of the day we still pi$h over the hobos!!!!!

meridian jambo

I am still not 100% sure about him, his track record down south was okay but not spectacular, he has had a good start with Motherwell, but in all honestly no team has been great this season, so a bit consistancy would make any team do well. Not saying he is a bad manager, but why has he struggled to get employment before Motherwell gave him a chance?

I have heard that MM had let it be known that he was interested in the manager's job at Tynie at the start of the year. He didn't apply (because applications weren't being sought) but the people at Hearts were aware of his interest. Unfortunately, the death of Phil O'Donnell has put a spanner in the works as far as him taking another job at this time is concerned.

Just to clarify things: this is how I see the pecking order in the cases of managers like McGhee, Levein or Davies. I wish it wasn't this way - but do think it is like this, unfortunately:

EPL

Old Firm

Scotland

Championship

Hearts, Aberdeen, Hibs, Dundee United (in that order)

League One

All other SPL clubs

So you can see why both Smith and McLeish left Scotland; why Mowbray left Hibs; or, indeed, why Calderwood stalled on extending his contract at Pittodrie until it became clear a Championship club wouldn't be coming in for him. Of course, this pecking order would suggest that McGhee to Hearts would be a clear upward move for him too - certainly, he's too accomplished a manager to remain at Motherwell for long. And sure: if we'd been run normally for the past couple of years, it would be an option for him: except that Scotland represents a much bigger jump, right back into him being well known throughout British football. And moreover, the fact that he's got Motherwell doing so well, while we're doing so badly, means Hearts just isn't the job that it might otherwise have been.

Think back to the summer. If we'd been run normally, and were just looking for a manager as we've done at various points throughout our history, of course we'd have been a much more attractive proposition than Motherwell. But not now: not when he's being so lauded, and confidently linked with the national job. And what happened with Phil O'Donnell ended any remaining possibility: he can't possibly leave them for another non-OF club, I'm afraid.

While I tend to agree with your list, I would like to just say that Hibs would not appear in any list as far as Craig Levein is concerned.:)

Archived