Worst ever day supporting Hearts

Gorgiewave

Alongside 1965, 1986 (Dens), 0-7, relegations, not getting promoted in 1982, signing Hans Eskilsson, etc., where would losing to Hibs stand?

I am too young to have experienced much of the above, but I wonder about our older members.

I dare say if it was 5-0 to them that would be a lot different from 1-0.

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Nothing will ever get near to the agony of 1986.

This day on May 19th 2012 when we demolarise them, will be the best ever and will never be beaten. heartsforthecup.gifyas!.giflocke.png

This day on May 19th 2012 when we demolarise them, will be the best ever and will never be beaten. heartsforthecup.gif

Did you mean "Demoralise" or are you suggesting a painful procedure to extract all their back teeth.

Both are fine

pumphyjambo

1986 by far the worst there has and will be. Nothing will compare to that week, certainly not in my like time and i was only 10 at the time. Can still remember it like it was yesterday.

I can't remember 86.

6-2 was pretty howling, but the worst ever? Nah - it was just a fluke result, a blip.

My worst ever would probably be the 5-1 Cup Final, or maybe the 2-1 Cup game against Celtic. Both were pretty soul destroying for this guy.

Nucky Thompson

3rd: 6-2

:wtfvlad:

That's only a 4 goal margin, what about the amount of 4 goal drubbings we've given them in recent times

I was too young to properly remember 1986.

The worst I felt was 2-1 Celtic in 1988. That's been rectified now though.

3-2 Celtic at new year 2006 was a very sore one. We lost the league that day.

SectionDJambo

This is depressing.

But good to see that we are considering the possibility of things going wrong on the day. I would rather we were not too cocky about this game. Hibs have earned their place in the final on merit, albeit with an easier draw.

We all, fans and players, have to be completely focused on winning on the day. Any setback through over confidence or complacancy, will never be able to be repaired.

If we go in with the right attitude, we should win. Anything less and we can lose.

btw - defeat would feel worse than Dens Park and both Airdrie, the St.Mirren and Celtic 1988 semis to me. It would be the worst result in my 40 odd years of this roller coaster ride of being a Hearts fan.

Drewjambobusby

This is depressing.

But good to see that we are considering the possibility of things going wrong on the day. I would rather we were not too cocky about this game. Hibs have earned their place in the final on merit, albeit with an easier draw.

We all, fans and players, have to be completely focused on winning on the day. Any setback through over confidence or complacancy, will never be able to be repaired.

If we go in with the right attitude, we should win. Anything less and we can lose.

btw - defeat would feel worse than Dens Park and both Airdrie, the St.Mirren and Celtic 1988 semis to me. It would be the worst result in my 40 odd years of this roller coaster ride of being a Hearts fan.

Was present at all of the above and they hurt like hell. Dens being by far the worst. 88 Semi against Celtic was angriest i have ever been coming out a match.

Lets not kid ourselves, Hobos had no direct hand in the above, therefore, Given that we are MASSIVE favourites, i would be devastated if we lose this.

However, we won`t so will not give this another thought !!

1986 for me will always be the worst. Desn then the cup final. Losing to them would be murder but that week made me physically ill. Something changed in me afer that when it came to football. A weight that wasn't lifted till 1998. It would be grim but I could live with it.

Roberto Rajio

Christ NO! Imagine a rat crawled out the sewer of hibsnet and saw this thread! they'd scuttle cockroach like back to their hell for a frenzied group masturbation session quick style. Stop it! Theres absolutely nothing wrong with us being over confident so long as the players arent, which Locky will see to, lighten up boys the greatest day of our lives approaches!

Jingle Bells

My first game at Tynecastle,aged 8, was a 1-2 Scottish Cup defeat to the vermin in 1971. Apart from the other obvious football lows since, seeing seating going into Shed and it later being demolished counts as my biggest Hearts disappointments. The lows make you appreciate the highs even more.There is no way the Hobos stand an earthly on the 19th if we play as well as we did against Celtic last Sunday.

86 I was only 15 and it's lived with me since, but thats what makes days like 98,06 so special for me for all the heartache that supporting hearts has brought me the highs when they come are so special hopefully the 19th of may is one of those days as well :)

alwaysthereinspirit

Not sure why but when I read the post title the first two things that jumped into my head were Dens Park and Forfar at home in the cup. Weird I know but something about that Forfar game has stuck with me since.

I'm sorry, this thread doesn't make sense.

"Worst ever day supporting Hearts"? I haven't had one, not one single day has "supporting Hearts" been bad. Sure, we've lost games, but that is part of football. We've been hammered in Cup games that I'd like to win, but I was glad to be there. We've had times where our Chairmen/Owner/Custodian has made things difficult, but haven't made being a Hearts fan bad. Being a Hearts supporter is a glorious existence and no defeat, no bad news story will ever change that.

Being Hearts is never, ever the "worst" of anything.

Apart front Dens in '86. Losing to Forfar in the Scottish Cup at Tynecastle in the early 80's. John Fairgrieve a journalist who supported the club and died in a car crash driving home from a hearts game wrote that Tynecastle should be turned into a car park. It was before Wallace Mercer bought the club.

Very Dark Days to be a.Jambo

Too young for 86, the worst defeat I can remember was against Rangers in the CIS Semi Final January 2008.

Pouring rain for the entire game, Barry Ferguson bouncing the ball in the box

Snake Plissken

I'm sorry, this thread doesn't make sense.

"Worst ever day supporting Hearts"? I haven't had one, not one single day has "supporting Hearts" been bad. Sure, we've lost games, but that is part of football. We've been hammered in Cup games that I'd like to win, but I was glad to be there. We've had times where our Chairmen/Owner/Custodian has made things difficult, but haven't made being a Hearts fan bad. Being a Hearts supporter is a glorious existence and no defeat, no bad news story will ever change that.

Being Hearts is never, ever the "worst" of anything.

I'm Snake Plissken and I approve of this post.

Probably most annoyed I can remember is the aftermath of the 2005 League Cup semi but no, you get over it and look to the next game. edit: no, 1996 cup final was probably the worst game for me but moments like that make moments like 1998 all the sweeter.

We're not going to lose next month so it's not even worth thinking about.

I was only aged 5 in 1986 - too young to remember that particular heartache.

Losing this one is unthinkable. It would be by a long long long long way the worst day of my life in terms of Hearts.

Johanes de Silentio

In the unlikely event of us losing on the 19th, I'll deal with it and get over it.

Don't think that it would come anywhere near Dens in '86.

Losing the League in '65 must have been hellish as well, but there you go - shit happens.

Seasons 1980/81 and 1981/82 were an all time low, as far as I know.

I'd just like to point out, btw, that we've won The Cup TWICE in recent history. :D

King of the North

Can honestly say that a defeat, while painful, would in no way, shape or form come close to 1986.

Or the Huns final in 1996

Or the Airdrie or St Mirren semis

Or the 3-0 Aberdeen final in 1986.

Or the Andy Davies game

Or 2-3 at Tynie to Celtic in 2006.

Or the moment when I found out Burley had been sacked

Reason being, we had a monkey to get off our back in all those pre-1998 games - we hadn't won a proper trophy in so long. Now, we have won two in recent years, I am relaxed about the whole thing. Mainly because I am pretty sure we will win, but also because I know that should the worst happen we will still be superior to the gimps in every department. Thats just the way it is.

Losing would be bad, but it would be nothing for us compared to what the Hobos losing would be for them. Their biggest problem is us - their bigger, more illustrious neighbours who have pumped them every year almost without exception since they were shat into creation. The thought of failing to end their hoodoo against us must shake their very souls. Their second biggest problem is that it is the Scottish Cup,their holy grail - an early goal for us and it's ALL over, two early goals and watch their end empty. Completely. THeir third biggest problem is that their team are shite with no spines, no balls, no heart.

I am easy - and I have every confidence in the JTs.

Billy the Jambo

1986 at Dens was the worst day ever supporting Hearts i am almost over it and i still refuse to watch any footage of that day whenever it comes on tv.If we were to get beat in final this year IMO that would be worse than 1986 .I do not think i would ever get over that

1st: the unthinkable next month

2nd: Dens '86

3rd: 6-2

This order for me I was only 8 in 1986 and it did not seem that bad at the time.

The Final would be the end of everything if we were to lose.

Luckily I am not even contemplating losing more on how I can wind up the hobos.

Dens Park end of thread :whistling:

Dens Park followed by Hampden a week later is equal to 1/1/73. Losing next month won't come close to either of those two.

Buffalo Bill

May 3rd 1986: worst day of my life.

No football result will ever come close to causing that much pain, ever again.

For some reason, losing to Airdrie in the 1995 semi was my second worse. I took that defeat really, really bad.

But Airdrie was a distant second to Dens.

If we lost Hibs on May 19th, I'd be pretty gutted but personally, it would rank behind these two above.

Guest Bilel Mohsni

WTF FFS...

I do not think about any of those things... Seriously? I think I am supporting a different team to everyone else sometimes.

We are going to consume them and shit out lightning all over the fricking shop afterwards.

:)

Teuchterjambo

I remember all of the above losing 1-7 to Dundee on the 27 Feb 1965 was the worst.

That was the day we really lost the league - never forget it - was just 14 but totally shell shocked.

vintage1874

That week in may 86, the numerous semi finals and cup games to lesser teams. I'll be gutted if we lose to Hibs but May 86 will hurt more.

It will be far worse for all the Hearts fans in and around Edinburgh with mates and family who are Hibs fans. Here in fife I don't know any Hibs supporters so I will get off lightly.

However as we all know the Hearts win the final and I will be forced to hunt some local Hibs fans out and make fun of them.

Can I mention: Hearts 0 Forfar 1 in the Scottish Cup;

Hearts 0 East Stirling 1 ...

plus all of the above.

May 19th will be a great day and losing will make it about the 87th worst day I've had as a Hearts supporter

Guest Bilel Mohsni

Can I mention: Hearts 0 Forfar 1 in the Scottish Cup;

Hearts 0 East Stirling 1 ...

plus all of the above.

May 19th will be a great day and losing will make it about the 87th worst day I've had as a Hearts supporter

Oh ffs!

:(

Please no...

Losing in the Scottish Cup final against Hibs? It wouldn't even make the top 10 - or bottom 10, rather.

But we're not going to lose.

Like everyone else i'd be gutted if we lost.

But the 7-0 game, andthe losing of the league would put a defeat in the final behind them. (imo)

My worst were

1. The 5-1 Final defeat against Rangers

2. The 6-2 defeat against Hibs

I am not going to lie.. If we lose to Hibs it will be the worst day of my life and I am not even going to be there.. I will be devastated.. I will try and hide out by not going into any internet page that might have anything to do with Hearts or Scottish Football.. I won't meet up with any friends here without pre warning them that if they mention anything about it I will instantly leave..

My wife has already been told what to expect but i still think she doesn't understand so it may end up in divorce..

On the other hand when we win it will be the exact opposite.. well apart from the divorce.. depending on how i celebrate that may still happen..

1986 by far the worst there has and will be. Nothing will compare to that week, certainly not in my like time and i was only 10 at the time. Can still remember it like it was yesterday.

This is the correct answer. For those who were at Dens, I'm not sure there could ever be anything worse on the playing side for Hearts. Certainly not losing a Cup final to Hibs, sore though it would be. Sure, there would be a slight readjustment in the completely one-sided dynamic of the Edinburgh derby - instead of being light years behind us, they'd just be a few million miles behind.

Nervous though I am about May 19th, to be honest I'm still finding it hard to even buy into the "biggest derby of all time" chat. The reason for this is that the biggest derby of all time - in living memory, that is - is still as fresh in my mind as if it was yesterday, and the young pretender that has been thrust on us so soon afterwards just hasn't convinced me at all so far. As everyone knew in 2006, the semi, from our point of view, was effectively the final. Just like the semi this year, in fact.

Losing to them would be a sore yin of that there is no doubt but wouldn't even come close to '86. What happened that day changed and defined a whole generation of fans - not many of us who were there that day will ever take anything for granted in football!

To put it into perspective, I could actually imagine that should the worst happen and we lose I could face the hibbies in my local on the night (or at least that weekend), shake their hands then go and get well and truly bloutered but I WOULD get over it.

After Dens park I couldn't even face my mum for a week (and I was 14 living at home) never mind any other football fans, still can't have a proper conversation with a celtic fan and until we win the league I will never properly get over it.

I was too young to properly remember 1986.

The worst I felt was 2-1 Celtic in 1988. That's been rectified now though.

3-2 Celtic at new year 2006 was a very sore one. We lost the league that day.

Had forgotten that. Thanks for reminding me!!

Archived