Goncalves - Conundrum.

Dave 1974

What to do with this boy.

He is athletic. He is fast. He can punt the ball nearly the length of the pitch. He can header the ball at angles that only Kryton (Red Dwarf) can achieve and finally has the supernatural ability to sheperd the ball out for a goal kick from the halfway line.

Can he play football properly though?

He (in my opinion) is a bit of a bombscare at left back. The main problem is his positional sense. He attacks the ball like a baby giraffe on ketamine. He quite frequently finds himself on the wrong side of his player and ends up turning the poor sod into some sort of origami creation by the time he has finished assualting him with his elbows and knees.

Okay, that's an exaggeration, but you pick up the gist.

He is way too over eager to get the ball and makes himself look almost schoolboy-like in his approach.

There is no doubt that he has all the correct attributes to be a very good player if he could only compose himself more.

I'm not so sure that a defensive position is maybe Joses calling. Like Wallace maybe he needs to be encouraged to be more pro-active in going forwards as he certainly has a willingness to kick seven-shades out of the ball and anything that comes before him.

Opinions?

Aye it's weird because I think most of us had high hopes for him, but at times he scares the life out of me.

That said, ungainly as he can be, he still dealt with everything that came at him yesterday one way or another!

He had a very poor first half, his main problems being he is hopeless with any long ball over his head and he gives the man he is marking 5-10yards space. We were lucky that although moraiz? had alot of the ball he done nothing with it.

I think Jose could be a class act, he just needs the right man to coach him on a few points

I think Jose could be a class act, he just needs the right man to coach him on a few points

Agreed, he's still only 21 or something and has potential. How many of our young players have actually improved with our current set-up? Driver perhaps, the rest all seem to have gone drastically down-hill. Jose could still come good with a decent coaching setup to help him out.

Agreed, he's still only 21 or something and has potential. How many of our young players have actually improved with our current set-up? Driver perhaps, the rest all seem to have gone drastically down-hill. Jose could still come good with a decent coaching setup to help him out.

Agree, Elliott and Wallace both seemed to have taken backwards steps in the last year.

Agree, Elliott and Wallace both seemed to have taken backwards steps in the last year.

However Wallace has looked very good when played in midfield.

Maybe Jose could offer something in a left midfield role?

He is athletic. He is fast. He can punt the ball nearly the length of the pitch. He can header the ball at angles that only Kryton (Red Dwarf) can achieve and finally has the supernatural ability to sheperd the ball out for a goal kick from the halfway line.

He (in my opinion) is a bit of a bombscare at left back. The main problem is his positional sense. He attacks the ball like a baby giraffe on ketamine. He quite frequently finds himself on the wrong side of his player and ends up turning the poor sod into some sort of origami creation by the time he has finished assualting him with his elbows and knees.

He is way too over eager to get the ball and makes himself look almost schoolboy-like in his approach.

There is no doubt that he has all the correct attributes to be a very good player if he could only compose himself more.

I'm not so sure that a defensive position is maybe Joses calling. Like Wallace maybe he needs to be encouraged to be more pro-active in going forwards as he certainly has a willingness to kick seven-shades out of the ball and anything that comes before him.

Opinions?

Some quality references in there, cant disagree either. He looks so un natural, if you watch the highlights you see banks shaking his head in disbelief.

I think eh might try too much, last year I thought hutton was a defender who could go forward but couldn't defend.. this year he's got better at defending....

Jose, he's a defender who can defend, not many get past him (if he's close, he does wander some times), but when he goe's forward he gets lost, panics then needs a compass to find his way back... he needs to concentrate on defending and in training learn to go forward....

He clearly has the potential but he is too much of a liability to play

He on game is far superior to wallace

Wallace however is consistent and isnt a liability when poor

Therefore Id cash in and use wallace and the reserves/u19 lb's and ruben as cover

Some quality references in there, cant disagree either. He looks so un natural, if you watch the highlights you see banks shaking his head in disbelief.

I think eh might try too much, last year I thought hutton was a defender who could go forward but couldn't defend.. this year he's got better at defending....

Jose, he's a defender who can defend, not many get past him (if he's close, he does wander some times), but when he goe's forward he gets lost, panics then needs a compass to find his way back... he needs to concentrate on defending and in training learn to go forward....

What is clear is that we genuinely have no idea what to do with him but agree that he has bags of potential.

Oh for a managers guidance.............................:rolleyes:

What is clear is that we genuinely have no idea what to do with him but agree that he has bags of potential.

What to do with him.... sell him and cash in 1.3 + would be good money for him, his agents made too many noises for him to stay. As soon as an agent starts publicly selling a player is usually a good sign he should go.

If he doesnt go then, your right he's our best on his day but no where near a finished article.

All he needs is more match practice in training and Shaggy has included a helluva lot more practice games in training sine he got the job.

It's showing, IMO because we're a bit better than we were before he took over.

Too much of the ball in defensive positions is a problem

He's certainly got something there because some of his defending at times is exceptional (see early in the game when he was put in it by Ruben).

Even with the ball he can be effective, see his early pass to Cesnauskis (or Velicka). It was a 40 yard pass straight to the players' feet, along the ground past a number of bodies. The vision alone of that pass was great, nevermind the fact he made it.

His decision making is questionable though, often taking too long on the ball whilst under pressure.

winston churchill

Opinions?

:)

did anybody else see him try and let the ball run out for a throw.

he then takes a maddy and lumps the ball up the park,ball hits a surprised hearts player and goes out for a hubz throw.

Yup, he's a bit of a puzzle alright, looks like he's got what it takes but oh so raw. Probably could best be described as "work in progress" but I think a good manager could get a lot out of him.

Might help if Andy Driver made more runs up the wings to give Jose/Lee more options when we are breaking out of defence, he appears a bit slow in getting behind the full backs which limit our guys options going forward, just a thought.

MayfieldJambo

Think Goncalves is one of our better players TBH, he had the Hibs player in his back pocket yesterday.

We should keep him, rotate him a bit and he will get better i hope .

winston churchill
Think Goncalves is one of our better players TBH, he had the Hibs player in his back pocket yesterday.

We should keep him, rotate him a bit and he will get better i hope .

i was closer to the hubz player he was ment to be marking,and i sit at the top of the wheatfield.

Sorry, but don't go in for this Jose love-in. He is a disaster waiting to happen - a good team would (will) take advantage of his inability to play the position - his idea of playing left back it to be somewhere within a foot of Christophe Berra.

Our priorities in this transfer window, if we are to get players, is to strengthen in quality at full back, and hopefully a striker someone to complement and help Andrius so we can get away from this one-up-front pash.

Too much of the ball in defensive positions is a problem

He's certainly got something there because some of his defending at times is exceptional (see early in the game when he was put in it by Ruben).

Even with the ball he can be effective, see his early pass to Cesnauskis (or Velicka). It was a 40 yard pass straight to the players' feet, along the ground past a number of bodies. The vision alone of that pass was great, nevermind the fact he made it.

His decision making is questionable though, often taking too long on the ball whilst under pressure.

I think that his decision making and confidence is the crux.I think it is why he is forever shepherding the ball out.He finds this the easiest option despite the risks.Goncalves has real pace but how often do you see him using this when in possession.I think he genuinley struggles to know what to do next and he usually chooses the the obvious - boot the ball long or make a short pass inside.

He could become a real star if he built on his many attributes and was able to take responsibility.I think that he will improve greatly with a sustained run in the team.He is still quite young.

I have still not decided whether he a wee bit timid.If he is, he definitely wont make it

I suppose their might be a case for a 3-5-2 formation with Goncalves- Berra-Karipidis/Tall as the three central defenders. Jose seems to like to stay inside anyway. I would guess that would utilise Lee Wallace in his best position at left WB. It would leave us problems though where to play Driver and Chesney if they're not in the wide areas. RN is not really suited to going forward either, so we would need a new R WB.

peebles jambo

punt him, the quicker the better, he can run and throw the ball (towards anybody may i add) but those aside, he's got nothing

Also, one thing to note.

Morais the right winger also happened to be the only Hibs player who looked anywhere near decent yesterday so it was no surprise Jose came under more pressure than anyone else.

Vlad_Knows_Best

His only saving grace is his burst of speed.

If he did not have that then we would be in real trouble.

punt him, the quicker the better, he can run and throw the ball (towards anybody may i add) but those aside, he's got nothing

Are you talking about Jose or Robbie?!? ;)

Jubilee Spree
Also, one thing to note.

Morais the right winger also happened to be the only Hibs player who looked anywhere near decent yesterday so it was no surprise Jose came under more pressure than anyone else.

I think these two things were closely related. Morais had a good game because Goncalves looked shaky. Anyone could have defended against Morais yesterday because he always goes down the line. It says a lot when your best player on the day is predictable and lacking in execution

Dave1974 - "and finally has the supernatural ability to sheperd the ball out for a goal kick from the halfway line."

I had a good chuckle about that.

It must be th only thing he learned from Pressley.

We are desperately needing an experienced centre half to guide the rest of the defence. My favourite would be Chris Morgan (Sheffield Utd)

Mr Romanov Saviour of HMFC

He has all the credentials of a great footballer but he is the most awkward looking player I think I have ever seen.

Managers will be catching onto his weaknesses now and exposing them, much like they do with Neilson.

I hope a manager can come in, sort him out and put him on the right path because I do believe there is a player in there somewhere.

I thought Jose was the real deal when he first arrived but can be a bit of a bombscare at times.

Scotland on Sunday gave him an 8 (which was the top marks and the same as Rueben and Eggert) in ratings "Looked to have his work cut out containing the livewire Morias but did extremely well and seemed to relish the battle" Not quite how I saw his display!

I thought Jose was the real deal when he first arrived but can be a bit of a bombscare at times.

Scotland on Sunday gave him an 8 (which was the top marks and the same as Rueben and Eggert) in ratings "Looked to have his work cut out containing the livewire Morias but did extremely well and seemed to relish the battle" Not quite how I saw his display!

Me neither.

Football is all about opinions i suppose.........

Every time Jose has the ball I panic. That is not a good thing. There are goalkeepers that look more comfortable with the ball than him. He has got a bit of pace and is good at shielding the ball out of play. But apart from that he worries me. Id play Wallace at left back and try and sell Jose for whatever we can get for him.

Archived