People Who Think SF Is Doing OK!

bobskeldon

Would you feel the same had their 2nd half possession (which allowed them to throw balls into our box for 40 minutes) had resulted in an equaliser? Our second half performance was woeful, and Frail (who is supposed to be 'managing') couldn't get us up the park as a team. Why is this? He knows we were far too deep in the 2nd half because he has said so in the papers, either he tried to get us up and no-one listened to him or he thought we could see it out. Either way, it is not good enough. We did see it out but by luck rather than design. He made the decision to take off RP and stated that it might have been "unfair", it wasn't unfair it was WRONG, I felt that although RP had tired a bit (which was understandable given his effort) but why did Frail not just ask him to carry out the less demanding sitting in front of the back four role and let EJ and LW do the pressing? Why did he take Cesnauskis off (because DC's reaction meant he wasn't injured) when Driver who hasn't kicked a ball since he began believing the hype was once again 'murder'? SF looks and acts like an under 19 coach. That is his level!

Dougie Masterton
Would you feel the same had their 2nd half possession (which allowed them to throw balls into our box for 40 minutes) had resulted in an equaliser? Our second half performance was woeful, and Frail (who is supposed to be 'managing') couldn't get us up the park as a team. Why is this? He knows we were far too deep in the 2nd half because he has said so in the papers, either he tried to get us up and no-one listened to him or he thought we could see it out. Either way, it is not good enough. We did see it out but by luck rather than design. He made the decision to take off RP and stated that it might have been "unfair", it wasn't unfair it was WRONG, I felt that although RP had tired a bit (which was understandable given his effort) but why did Frail not just ask him to carry out the less demanding sitting in front of the back four role and let EJ and LW do the pressing? Why did he take Cesnauskis off (because DC's reaction meant he wasn't injured) when Driver who hasn't kicked a ball since he began believing the hype was once again 'murder'? SF looks and acts like an under 19 coach. That is his level!

I think that we had better get used to it mate, i don't think that we will bring in a manager before the summer. The players have already started to let the media know that they would like to stick with frail.

MacDonald Jardine

It is a fair point.

had Hibs not been rank up front we could have lost.

that's actually one of our worst performances over the last few weeks.

Still a win's a win.

Said on a thread yesterday that I'm beginning to think the problem is related to the fitness level of our players. We pressed them and denied them space really well in the first half but were completely unable to do that in the second half. Given that only a madman would instruct a team that hadn't kept a clean sheet since September to back off for 45 minutes, it surely can't have been a tactical move.

It wouldn't surprise me if the complete breakdown in discipline at the club over the last two years to which Frail referred recently includes players being allowed to get away with a completely unprofessional dietary and training regime.

Still, only a couple of weeks now until the "Malofeev dividend" kicks in and we start to overwhelm teams towards the end of games with our superior fitness...

I don't understand why we always take off our best-performing players.

I don't think Frail understands that a player can, actually, play well for a full 90 minutes and, by keeping him on, drastically increases our chances of hurting the opposition, given the poor quality of our subs.

It's as if, for example, he thinks Cesnauskis has done his job after 65 minutes when he's been promising all game. Keep him on and see what he can do for the full 90, FFS! He's a big boy; I'm sure he can handle it.

I agree with the OP; it's certainly worrying that Frail seems unable to see what every fan can see and has seen for weeks. We stop playing after a certain amount of time and, if Hibs weren't so awful, we'd be crying into our paracetemol today.

its where we bide

Im afaraid you are bang on and had we been playing a top six team would not have won(prob not got a point)

But i will suport him as an individual because he is doing his best

WE NEED A MANAGER, and of course SF has no control over this

Fir what its worth i think SF will be with us till end of ssn in his current role and we will finish ssn in bottom 6

Thank feck for Gretna

Not what people want to hear or what i want to unfold but i think thats the way its gonna be when i let my head rule my emotions and not my heart

Agree with your comments but I'm not going to be overly critical after our first win in donkeys.

Hopefully now performances will improve and results too, starting at Motherwell on Tuesday.

Said on a thread yesterday that I'm beginning to think the problem is related to the fitness level of our players.

I heard yesterday that Frail has pinpointed this and introduced extra fitness training sessions. Apparently our training has been a joke for the last few years.

I think Frail is able to start well, he seems to get his messge across to players before the game and we seem to stick to our positions ect.

The problem does seem to be when the game starts to change Frail does not seem to have the ability to change the game. Cesni seemed fit enough, and was having a good game, driver was poor again but got kept on.

IMO when we played killie with Miko and Cesni on the pitch they seem to compliment each other and were creating chances, since then miko has only came on for cesni. But at least we are now showing signs of being able to play football and hopefully start to climb the table

ToadKiller Dog

I think Frails attributes mark him more out to be a very good assistant manager/sidekick to a manager,that to me would be the best career path plenty of good guys have done well in that role..

Father Tiresias

Completely agree.

We're getting over-run in the second half and he takes off Palazuelos to stick on Nade!! WTF was that all about!! A Romanov substitution perhaps?

Second half performance was as poor as I've seen this season. Just as well the Hibs are worse than us or we'd have been beaten.

broxburnjambo

Although i agree with the original post, i disagree in some respect that he cannot change a game.

The second half performance against Killie is a prime example.

But to some things up, we are still nowhere near where we should be in terms of performance and yesterdays result, was against an even worse Hibs team and the second half performance against Killie was against a team on the slide as well.

I think we will see the true colours of Frail when we go behind to a decent side, and whether or not he has the ability to turn it around.

Dagger Is Back

I'm not saying that SF should get the job but I'm not sure what our 2nd half problem is.

1) Lack of fitness/stamina due to months of inappropriate training methods

2) Tactical decisions to sit in and hit teams on the break perhaps as a result of (1) above

3) Fear on the players part about losing a precious lead due to deep rooted confidence issues

If it's 1 then it will tke months to sort this out

If it's 2 and it's due to fitness levels see above

If it's 2 but purely tacticla then SF needs a rocket up his chorus and verse

If it's 3 then it's understandable and something which will take time to eradicate

Agree with your comments but I'm not going to be overly critical after our first win in donkeys.

Hopefully now performances will improve and results too, starting at Motherwell on Tuesday.

Don't get me wrong, I will generally take any win over Hibs, BUT (and it is a big BUT!) my worry is that yesterday is viewed by HMFC as confirmation of a 'turnaround', it isn't as far as I am concerned!

StAndrewsHMFC

I think part of the problem yesterday was that we hadn't won in ages, so the team lacking a bit of confidence started to sit deeper and deeper in the hope of protecting the lead. I agree with other posters that fitness seems to be a problem too.

I don't think Frail has shown one way or the other if he's good enough to do the job, but things do seem to be getting slowly better under him

The Puppeteer

I think it's more than a tad harsh to suggest that SF is doing an inadequate job. That is completely ignoring where we have come from in terms of performance levels. The lack of morale, shocking indiscipline and complete lack of confidence that meant even if we went two goals up in a match you'd almost bet against us throwing it away.

Rome wasn't built in a day and a team that was in the dire straits that we were isn't going to get their confidence back in a couple of matches. We're turning it around bit by bit and you can't deny that the rot has stopped, it's how we kick on from here that you should be judging Stevie by.

Regarding subs, Chesney has just come back into the team after a year out so I wasn't at all surprised to see him taken off after 65 mins of a derby to be replaced by a like minded and much fresher player. Ruben had been playing his heart out but had been pushed out of position to accomodate Wallace and the option to bring on a fresh player whose main strength is his ability to hold the ball up when we were conceding a lot of possession is not hard to understand.

Hibs for all their possession couldn't break us down, thanks mainly to two excellent performances by our center-backs. And despite all their possession we still created the better chances.

Nelly Terraces

If Frail was given the job I would not be back next season, and I expect I probably speak for a few thou others on that score as well.

so many teams who have gone on a losing streak only break that bad run with a scrappy, messy win, as we did yesterday

now while we were far from being any good yesterday we managed not only a win, but our first clean sheet in months. not only did we manage to break that losing run, but we did it again the vermin, a team who WANT to hurt us, yet failed to do any real damage. before anyone points it out to me, i know they were woeful, and thank fork they were. hopefully this will sway our teams confidence a little into the right direction

for now, i'm going to enjoy this win. i love getting it up the hobos, and hopefully this will see an upturn in performances.

after all, frail certainly seems to have instilled a little more fight than we've had for god knows how long

Don't get me wrong, I will generally take any win over Hibs, BUT (and it is a big BUT!) my worry is that yesterday is viewed by HMFC as confirmation of a 'turnaround', it isn't as far as I am concerned!

I think it just represented another few baby steps in the right direction: a process which began in the early stages at Tannadice. Almost certainly, the appalling training regime which the players have had to put up with has played a very big part in all this: not to mention a selection system which destroyed morale and motivation, so resulted in professional footballers not looking after themselves, eating all the wrong things, smoking etc etc.

It's easy for us to scream "wage thieves!" in this scenario - but in truth, anyone (and especially young men in their early to mid-20s) need the right kind of environment in order to develop, whatever their career might be. Someone like Roman Bednar has that at West Brom, when he plainly did not have it here. It's bound to take considerable time for Frail to sort this out: and in any case, I'm not about to slag off someone who's doing his best, but is over-promoted. There's a reason why you need some degree of managerial experience before you can succeed in the SPL: Frail doesn't have this yet, and is just holding the fort until we bring in someone who does.

But nevertheless, what's happened since the New Year's Day statement really ought to tell us something. The team, at last, has begun making small steps forward again - because we are now being run as a recognisable football club once more. Thank God for that.

Said on a thread yesterday that I'm beginning to think the problem is related to the fitness level of our players. We pressed them and denied them space really well in the first half but were completely unable to do that in the second half. Given that only a madman would instruct a team that hadn't kept a clean sheet since September to back off for 45 minutes, it surely can't have been a tactical move.

It wouldn't surprise me if the complete breakdown in discipline at the club over the last two years to which Frail referred recently includes players being allowed to get away with a completely unprofessional dietary and training regime.

Still, only a couple of weeks now until the "Malofeev dividend" kicks in and we start to overwhelm teams towards the end of games with our superior fitness...

I agree and think the problem has been players have known no matter how hard they train or perfrom in training the fax will dictate if they play or not. Frail had them in last week for double sessions and I hope we see this continue, Nade should be back 3 times a dayIMHO

If Frail was given the job I would not be back next season, and I expect I probably speak for a few thou others on that score as well.

even if "he" gets us to a couple of finals??.....SF is doing an OK job which should at least buy time to get a decent manager bearing in mind who ever comes in may not be the "messiah" we hope for....there's plenty of experienced good new managers who have failed to do the biz....let SF get on with the job ...at least he appears to have stopped the rot....every good manager had to start somewhere remember...;)

I thought ruben vanished a little from the game when he pushed on after stewart went off. Thought that Velicka dropping into that space to pressurise Beuzilin was a smart decision (although was as surprised as anyone at the time of the sub).

The fact that we sat off during the second half was probably down to quite a lot of nervy players desperate for a win.

Three points in the bag, the hobos turned over yet again - well done SF.

Either OF would have punished our second half performance yesterday. Fortunately we were playing Hibs. It is a bad sign though, that we sit in against Hibs at home. The players will hopefully get some confidence from the win and in future they?ll not try to sit on 1-0 leads as it is extremely risky.

Frail is getting more effort out of our player and nobody can argue with that.

The problem is that we're so bloody unfit that we tire even faster now and yesterdays second half was a prime example.

We have the fight and the passion and the hard work back. All we need now is to work on fitnes and ball control and we'll be just dandy.

I think it's more than a tad harsh to suggest that SF is doing an inadequate job. That is completely ignoring where we have come from in terms of performance levels. The lack of morale, shocking indiscipline and complete lack of confidence that meant even if we went two goals up in a match you'd almost bet against us throwing it away.

Rome wasn't built in a day and a team that was in the dire straits that we were isn't going to get their confidence back in a couple of matches. We're turning it around bit by bit and you can't deny that the rot has stopped, it's how we kick on from here that you should be judging Stevie by.

Regarding subs, Chesney has just come back into the team after a year out so I wasn't at all surprised to see him taken off after 65 mins of a derby to be replaced by a like minded and much fresher player. Ruben had been playing his heart out but had been pushed out of position to accomodate Wallace and the option to bring on a fresh player whose main strength is his ability to hold the ball up when we were conceding a lot of possession is not hard to understand.

Hibs for all their possession couldn't break us down, thanks mainly to two excellent performances by our center-backs. And despite all their possession we still created the better chances.

Where exactly have we come in terms of performance levels? I don't see that much difference from e.g. the first 45 mins against Dundee Utd when we were quite good but two down at half time!

We were dreadful in the second half yesterday. Luckily the vermin were single fish. We were more defensive than we were under Jordan FFS. :(

Where exactly have we come in terms of performance levels? I don't see that much difference from e.g. the first 45 mins against Dundee Utd when we were quite good but two down at half time!

We have not lost a game since Frail was given time as the sole person in charge(utd game was to soon), are you saying that is not an improvement ?

I am not saying he is the answer but to deny there is a improvement is a bare faced lie IMO.

We have not lost a game since Frail was given time as the sole person in charge(utd game was to soon), are you saying that is not an improvement ?

I am not saying he is the answer but to deny there is a improvement is a bare faced lie IMO.

I was referring to the Dundee Utd game at Tynecastle back in November!

I was referring to the Dundee Utd game at Tynecastle back in November!

Don't matter the fact is Frail has made a improvement since he was given authority to make decisions. I think most agree he is not the answer but he deserves some credit IMO.

Don't matter the fact is Frail has made a improvement since he was given authority to make decisions. I think most agree he is not the answer but he deserves some credit IMO.

exactly.

he's not manager material yet as he hasn't the tic tacticals or qualifications, and i'm sure he'd be the first to admit it.

but since he's been given autonomy there has been a change in attitude and fight, so he's obviously working at something.

I am reasonably satisfied with team results since Frail took sole charge. This does not mean I want him for the job. I was critical of Frail in the past because of his follow the party line willingness. I would be nervous that if appointed he would relapse into that practise if hired full time.

In rebuutal to my own suggestion I would say he has improved morale, has influenced some desire in the players and seems to be making his own personnel decisions. He has however on numerous occasions admitted his lack of qualifications at this time for the job, and would possibly even appear to be declining the possibility.

I think part of the problem yesterday was that we hadn't won in ages, so the team lacking a bit of confidence started to sit deeper and deeper in the hope of protecting the lead. I agree with other posters that fitness seems to be a problem too.

I don't think Frail has shown one way or the other if he's good enough to do the job, but things do seem to be getting slowly better under him

Absolutely bang on. We hadnt won for ten weeks, we have zero confidence we're one nil up against our rivals. of course nerves ae going to kick in and its natural therefore to sit back. Not ideal granted but with a few more wins I think our second half performances will improve greatly. Confidence is a funny thing

Absolutely bang on. We hadnt won for ten weeks, we have zero confidence we're one nil up against our rivals. of course nerves ae going to kick in and its natural therefore to sit back. Not ideal granted but with a few more wins I think our second half performances will improve greatly. Confidence is a funny thing

Totally agree :thumb:

Archived