The Councils latest waste of money

Toxteth O'Grady

I didn't know that.

Do they naturally eat meat, or do they have omnivore status because meat is fed to them in the scraps?

They're also cannibals in that case.

In the wild they're not exactly built for hunting, but will happily eat any invertebrates, birds, small mammals, or amphibians, that they come across. They will also help themselves to any carrion they find, probably including other pigs.

In captivity even cows are fed meat proteins, frequently from cows. :sad:

I dont even care that you havent told me what an omnivore is.

Carnivore = meat eater

Herbivore = plant eater

Omnivore = eats both

Every day's a school day Davie. :thumb:

Had the wee food waste bins for ages in Aberdeen. They're disposed of at the same time as garden waste, meaning I continually forget to put it out during winter. Easy enough during the summer though, just ship it out with the grass!

chrissyd2003

It is the council's job to collect and dispose of all our household waste, and they have a duty to do so in as an environmentally friendly way as possible, and also to maximise recycling and minimise waste going to landfill.

I cannot believe that supplying me with five different plastic bins, picked up on five different days, by crews in diesel powered lorries, can ever be classed as environmentally friendly, or economically sensible. Three out of these five bins (all made from oil based plastics) have to be replaced every couple of months or so, as they disappear when its windy, again neither environmentally friendly, nor economically sensible.

Give me one decent sized wheelie bin for bio degradable waste, including garden refuge and food scraps. Give me another decent sized wheelie bin for all "dry waste" from plastic, tins, bottles, etc.

Each bin can get collected regularly once a week. That does away with the vehicles, fuel, and costs, of 60% of what currently happens in my area. Some of that saving can then be used by the council to pay for staff and equipment to sort out for recycling what they collect.

That would reduce the number of bin lorries by 60%, reduce their emissions by 60%, reduce fuel costs, and cut down on congestion. It would reduce the amount of rubbish blown about, and reduce the number of bins being made and supplied.

Separate, sort, and recycle, the waste centrally, and that will deliver genuine environmental benefits, and economic one's as well.

aye good point with the amount of bins, think 3 bins is enough, 1 for recyclables 1 for biodegradables and garden and 1 for landfill, and I think it should say 'landfill'on it and be smaller than the other two

Stuart Lyon

I remember the pig bins we used to have for food waste in the 1950's when I was wee. The Pig Man always came on a different day from the other bin man and the smell from his truck and the pig bins was terrible. If it was a good idea then why was it abandoned? Why is it such a good idea now? I thought I read a wee while ago that the separate bin collects were to be abandoned i.e. no recycling at household level. There was also talk of a fortnightly collection in Edinburgh when the government were going to pay Councils in England ?250 million to re-introduce weekly bin collections. Talk about a consistent policy!

The Council dumped a load of wee bins in the street this morning.

They are supposedly for food waste.

They might as well take mine away again as I will never use it.

They can't even empty the cardboard and bottle reccyling bins until they have been overflowing for weeks and we still had Xmas trees in March.

Keeping rancid food til they see fit to come and collect it doesn't appeal to me. :boak:

we got them a few months ago and used it twice, it's a total waste of time. they give you one roll of bags and then expect you to buy your own.

This scheme in fact is works well down my way, since introduced last Summer. Waste is collected every week, no problems. And Bath and North East Somerset council are consistently the worst in the country. So don't understand why Edinburgh council cant get it organised properly. Also a roll of bags only cost a couple of pounds once every 3 or 4 months, so no' that bad really.

Edited by Pinhead

Miserable buggers. It's an excellent idea. Since recycling via the blue and red boxes, plastics bag and paper and now food my weekly green bin is almost empty.

---

I am here: http://tapatalk.com/map.php?55adtq

Same here, although we've been composting our own stuff for over a year now anyway. We could easily go to fortnightly collections for the green bin.

This!

It will be the same people on here moaning when the green bins start to be picked up fortnightly. :thumbsup:

Totally agree. The small black bins will be collected weekly so if people use them correctly they shouldn't really notice a difference when the green bins move to fortnightly.

I've been using my black bin for two weeks now and I barely put anything in my green bin now. I think they're a great idea

Mr Brightside

I cant believe five or six different collections is economical or environmentally friendly. ( especially when most councils stick it all in land fill)

From 2013 it will be illegal to dispose of source segregated waste in landfill. By 2020 there will be a ban of all biodegradable waste to landfill and thermal treatment.

In addition landfill tax currently costs ?64 a tonne plus a gate fee so separate collection and treatment will cost less.

If anyone is interested look up the zero waste Scotland website which details the future of Scotland's waste collection and treatment.

maroonlegions

Apart from obvious inedible food stuffs like carrot peelings ect me and my family are greedy b**********s so we tend to have very little food waste.laugh.gif

Are there different sizes of food waste bins being allocated to various families,individuals of varying degrees of food apatites or consumptions, maybe there should be a consensus form put out for people to list there average daily or weekly food consumption and then state "WHY" they couldnae finish their scran on their plate, something like.

State reasons for left over foods on plate ect;

1;Couldnae be bothered finishing it;

2;Eyes bigger than stomach;

3;Hangover;

4;Wife cannae cook;

5; Boredom, ate for something to do but could not finish due to not being hungry enough;

Mind you we are in living in a age of greed , skilful manipulation by company's food advertising branches has created a must have mentality and people can tend to have eyes bigger than there stomachs at times.whistling.gif

Edited by maroonlegions

• 7 years later...

I had the same problem some months ago. I didn't know what to do, but with my income, I couldn't afford many even a new trash can. All my garbage stayed on the street and they didn't take it for some weeks. I was very frustrated and I began to find some ways to make money fast to buy a new trash can. The Internet is our helper and I found many ways but I chose what I liked. I started to edit photos and to sell them, this helped me to buy new trash can and now I have a good income.

Edited by peterpen

1 hour ago, Cade said:

:wtf: JKB infiltrated by facebook spammers

Bumping an 8 year old thread to post a link to a shite website, and to write the words "I can`t believe" on a 2 week old thread about Hamilton Accies that had 4 posts :rofl: