The Councils latest waste of money

Toxteth O'Grady

Toxteth O'Grady

The Council dumped a load of wee bins in the street this morning.

They are supposedly for food waste.

They might as well take mine away again as I will never use it.

They can't even empty the cardboard and bottle reccyling bins until they have been overflowing for weeks and we still had Xmas trees in March.

Keeping rancid food til they see fit to come and collect it doesn't appeal to me. :boak:

Edited by Toxteth O'Grady

Nucky Thompson

we got them a few months ago and used it twice, it's a total waste of time. they give you one roll of bags and then expect you to buy your own.

Matthew Le Tissier

we got them a few months ago and used it twice, it's a total waste of time. they give you one roll of bags and then expect you to buy your own.

Bags? We didnt even get any. I steralised ours and used it for the wee fellas toys lol.

Toxteth O'Grady

Sounds about right, green recycling in polly bags!

Toxteth O'Grady

Bags? We didnt even get any. I steralised ours and used it for the wee fellas toys lol.

I expect they will be put to many different uses.

Any other suggestions?

Can't think what to do with mine.

Ours were delivered on Thursday. Seems to be a good idea, it's only a waste of money if you don't participate :thumbsup: .

When you run out of bags the leaflet tells you that you can just use newspaper instead.

You must live in a pretty poorly serviced area. All of our bins are regularly emptied on the days they are meant to be. If you still had an xmas tree to be wasted by march I's assume that would partly be down to you not putting it in the (I assume) brown bin, no? :unsure:

Toxteth O'Grady

Ours were delivered on Thursday. Seems to be a good idea, it's only a waste of money if you don't participate :thumbsup: .

When you run out of bags the leaflet tells you that you can just use newspaper instead.

You must live in a pretty poorly serviced area. All of our bins are regularly emptied on the days they are meant to be. If you still had an xmas tree to be wasted by march I's assume that would partly be down to you not putting it in the (I assume) brown bin, no? :unsure:

Live in a flat and don't have brown bins. It wasn't my trees but neighbours put them beside the bins as is the usual practice.

The service we get is appalling, I'm sick of telling the council our bins haven't been emptied.

Live in a flat and don't have brown bins. It wasn't my trees but neighbours put them beside the bins as is the usual practice.

The service we get is appalling, I'm sick of telling the council our bins haven't been emptied.

:thumbsup: .

I imagine that flats are prone to these problems. Not surprised that the council are up to scratch.

I've got mine stored away somewhere unused.

Complete waste of money. I think with the next council elections there needs to be an I.Q. test on the candidates before they can take office.

The Council dumped a load of wee bins in the street this morning.

They are supposedly for food waste.

They might as well take mine away again as I will never use it.

They can't even empty the cardboard and bottle reccyling bins until they have been overflowing for weeks and we still had Xmas trees in March.

Keeping rancid food til they see fit to come and collect it doesn't appeal to me. :boak:

We have been using them since the council launched the scheme and after initially being sceptical it actually works very well. You really don't have rancid food sitting there and you can't smell a thing. You really notice a huge improvement in your current kitchen bins stench from the food waste that normally gets chucked in there. The bags are biodegradable also.

Edited by Dazo

Toxteth O'Grady

I've got mine stored away somewhere unused.

Complete waste of money. I think with the next council elections there needs to be an I.Q. test on the candidates before they can take office.

They are practising already

3194625618.jpg

I imagine that flats are prone to these problems.

I live in a stair and have no problems with refuse collections.

I'm liking the idea of the wee food bin skips in the street TBH. The majority of my black bin rubbish is food wastage as I recycle most things. Adding that extra, whilst getting rid of stinky bins from my flat, sounds to me like a good idea.

I think recycling is the right thing to do, however this council have no ability to work out how to do it effectively.

1 - Edinburgh is a windy city - the boxes and blue bags blow away when empty.

2- the lids are woeful they rip off and blow away.

3- who has space for all the boxes and bins they give us, certainly not in the house.

4- More thought requires, different schemes for different types of housing, more communal facilities in some areas?

5- and there's more !

Toxteth O'Grady

I live in a stair and have no problems with refuse collections.

I'm liking the idea of the wee food bin skips in the street TBH. The majority of my black bin rubbish is food wastage as I recycle most things. Adding that extra, whilst getting rid of stinky bins from my flat, sounds to me like a good idea.

I don't think you are supposed to leave them in the street all the time. There is one for each flat. They are just another bin.

They are practising already

3194625618.jpg

Good post! :lol:

I am in the council ward for Jenny Dawe, and if the Scottish Parliament elections are a barometer, added to her involvement in the trams project, she will probably lose her deposit. :thumbsup:

Edited by frankblack

Toxteth O'Grady

I am in the council ward for Jenny Dawe, and if the Scottish Parliament elections are a barometer, added to her involvement in the trams project, she will probably lose her deposit. :thumbsup

She is no stranger to losing money

I expect they will be put to many different uses.

Any other suggestions?

Can't think what to do with mine.

[/quote

Golf ball storage

I don't think you are supposed to leave them in the street all the time. There is one for each flat. They are just another bin.

They arent in my street yet but I've noticed in surroundings areas (I'm in Meadowbank), there are wee skips, being put next to the regular big skips in streets and side streets, for food wastage. I think they are a great idea.

I assume you've been given a personal bin rather than having the skip in the street?:unsure:

Toxteth O'Grady

They arent in my street yet but I've noticed in surroundings areas (I'm in Meadowbank), there are wee skips, being put next to the regular big skips in streets and side streets, for food wastage. I think they are a great idea.

I assume you've been given a personal bin rather than having the skip in the street?:unsure:

Aye,looks like they've cocked up again

Seymour M Hersh

I am in the council ward for Jenny Dawe, and if the Scottish Parliament elections are a barometer, added to her involvement in the trams project, she will probably lose her deposit. :thumbsup:

I think she should be facing a loss of freedom due to the tram fiasco.

I live in a flat too, shocking service for us.

Unlike you though, we don't have any extra boxes, just the big black bins that are constantly overflowing (and plonked right outside our stair door)

Hungry hippo

I totally agree with Dazo. We've had then for a few months and I didn't initially see much benefits but it's definitely a far cleaner way of getting rid of your food waste. As for the cost of bags I thought this might be bad as i'm not overly fussed about recycling but the cost is about ?8 a year and I can live with that.

First it was trams, now its food bins. Been there done that we had food bins, also known as pig bins because that is where the contents went during WW2. Reading about Edinburgh Council makes me feel I am in a time machine going back 50-60 years for what they see as their new ideas. :lol:

Mr Brightside

The zero waste Scotland regulations mean that councils must make provisions for separate collection of food waste.

The food waste then gets treated by anerobic digestion or invessel composting to generate electricity and heat and a compost end product that can be reused.

browserchip

Miserable buggers. It's an excellent idea. Since recycling via the blue and red boxes, plastics bag and paper and now food my weekly green bin is almost empty.

This!

It will be the same people on here moaning when the green bins start to be picked up fortnightly. :thumbsup:

Food bins are great.

If you have ever had a "mixed" rubbish bag burst on you as you try to move it from house to bin, you will be glad of the food bins.

PsychocAndy

We get black bags, thats it. Our house, 4 people, get the same amount as the single flats, 1 or 2 people at most.

Some really ignorant posters on here. The food bins are a great idea, how difficult is it to have it beside your bin in the kitchen and scrape your leftovers in it? Saves space and smell in your household bin with the added bonus of helping Scotland to become much more sustainable and green.

Assuming it gets picked up max once a week, how would it smell anyless sitting next to your bin??

Some really ignorant posters on here. The food bins are a great idea, how difficult is it to have it beside your bin in the kitchen and scrape your leftovers in it? Saves space and smell in your household bin with the added bonus of helping Scotland to become much more sustainable and green.

Toxteth O'Grady

Aye like you. You either haven't read my posts or don't understand.

I live in a stair, we have communal bins that get emptied irregularly. I don't want to keep food waste for an indefinate period until the council decides to collect it.

On collection day, whenever that is? I will hardly be able to get moving in my street for all these wee bins clogging the street up, on windy days they will be all over the place.

In terms of sustainability and greeness I am scepticle. Thousands plastic bins delivered by lorries using diesel, which will be collected by lorries using diesel in addition to the usual bin lorries.

Whatever they do with the stuff from the bins probably won't be that great either, smelly at best.

Then the residents will have to wash out the bins, probably using warm water and detergents.

I've left my food bin in the street and if they don't remove it within a week it will go in the big bin.

browserchip

Aye like you. You either haven't read my posts or don't understand.

I live in a stair, we have communal bins that get emptied irregularly. I don't want to keep food waste for an indefinate period until the council decides to collect it.

On collection day, whenever that is? I will hardly be able to get moving in my street for all these wee bins clogging the street up, on windy days they will be all over the place.

In terms of sustainability and greeness I am scepticle. Thousands plastic bins delivered by lorries using diesel, which will be collected by lorries using diesel in addition to the usual bin lorries.

Whatever they do with the stuff from the bins probably won't be that great either, smelly at best.

Then the residents will have to wash out the bins, probably using warm water and detergents.

I've left my food bin in the street and if they don't remove it within a week it will go in the big bin.

Here's an idea for you .....

1) Put your food waste in your food waste bin.

2) Put out your food waste bin when is due to be collected.

3) If your food waste bin has not been emptied on the correct day stick it in the communal bin.

We just have recycling for paper cardboard all the usual things. My mum has the food bin as well.. She recycles it all the time.

Think in the future When the planet is full of rubbish in years to come when your children/grandchildren are struggling.. Or dont you care ?

Toxteth O'Grady

We just have recycling for paper cardboard all the usual things. My mum has the food bin as well.. She recycles it all the time.

Think in the future When the planet is full of rubbish in years to come when your children/grandchildren are struggling.. Or dont you care ?

I recycle bottles cans and cardboard untill the bins are overflowing, the useless council don't collect it often enough so then I am forced to use the general waste bin.

If I had any confidence in the council to collect it, I might think about reclycling the very small amount of food waste I have. I tend to buy food on daily basis to minimise waste in the first place.

david mcgee

When the cooncil first gave us red and blue tubs for recycling the neighbours bought into it, until.................

we got typical Scottish gale force winds and my garden being at the top of the hill copped six red tubs and eight blue yins.

If you wanted a back edition of " peoples friend" or " radio times" you merely had to stick yer mits up in the air and one would wrap itself around you.

A complete and total farce and these new bins are no different, i am just waiting on the bin to keek in and nobody will have to pick it up, i will happily deliver it myself.

chrissyd2003

:thumbsup:

adapt or die! dramatic but true in a way

chrissyd2003

When the cooncil first gave us red and blue tubs for recycling the neighbours bought into it, until.................

we got typical Scottish gale force winds and my garden being at the top of the hill copped six red tubs and eight blue yins.

If you wanted a back edition of " peoples friend" or " radio times" you merely had to stick yer mits up in the air and one would wrap itself around you.

A complete and total farce and these new bins are no different, i am just waiting on the bin to keek in and nobody will have to pick it up, i will happily deliver it myself.

how can the cooncil sort that one? take control of your own surroundings, tie your rubbish bins up in high winds?

Mr Romanov Saviour of HMFC

Correct.

Although there is no hope when selfish folk are horrified at the prospect of having to take 5 minutes out of their day to do this and spend a couple of quid a year on bags. :o

Edited by Alan Partridge

david mcgee

how can the cooncil sort that one? take control of your own surroundings, tie your rubbish bins up in high winds?

Are you having a giraffe?

If you tied your bins up, that would give them the excuse they need not to collect them. ( which they never for 7 weeks last year)

It still wouldnt stop the contents being splayed around all over the shop.

And when the rope you used strangled the neighbours cat or one of the bairns youd likely end up jailed.

Whats wrong with one big bucket and let the council sort it out?

I cant believe five or six different collections is economical or environmentally friendly. ( especially when most councils stick it all in land fill)

Sheriff Fatman

Whats wrong with one big bucket and let the council sort it out?

It's not the council's job to clean up after you, it's yours. The only reason councils did it before was that the people were too lazy, it's about time that was changed.

david mcgee

It's not the council's job to clean up after you, it's yours. The only reason councils did it before was that the people were too lazy, it's about time that was changed.

Get a grip, what do i pay ?1700 a year for then, certainly aint pot hole filling.

You can spend half yer life peeling labels from bottles and eating quorn and they will eat succulent lamb and drop bombs whilst making you feel guilty for "global warming".

Sheriff Fatman

You certainly don't pay it for some poor sod to have to sort through your waste.

Sorry you think peeling a label off (a job that takes a couple of seconds, not half your life) is beneath you, but tough.

dobmisterdobster

Some of this food waste gets turned into pig swill.

A lot of it contains meat (including pork). Pigs are herbivores.

Turning raw food into compost is fair enough. But cooked food should just be thrown away.

Edited by dobmisterdobster

Some of this food waste gets turned into pig swill.

A lot of it contains meat (including pork). Pigs are herbivores.

No they're not, they're omnivores.

david mcgee

Them baskets at the cooncil tell you not to burn your leaves and then set off 30 tonnes of fireworks.

Its all a con i tell ya!

Its late and i cant be bothered googling it, so come on Gasman, explain wot a omnivore is. ( does it drink cider?)

dobmisterdobster

I didn't know that.

Do they naturally eat meat, or do they have omnivore status because meat is fed to them in the scraps?

They're also cannibals in that case.

It is the council's job to collect and dispose of all our household waste, and they have a duty to do so in as an environmentally friendly way as possible, and also to maximise recycling and minimise waste going to landfill.

I cannot believe that supplying me with five different plastic bins, picked up on five different days, by crews in diesel powered lorries, can ever be classed as environmentally friendly, or economically sensible. Three out of these five bins (all made from oil based plastics) have to be replaced every couple of months or so, as they disappear when its windy, again neither environmentally friendly, nor economically sensible.

Give me one decent sized wheelie bin for bio degradable waste, including garden refuge and food scraps. Give me another decent sized wheelie bin for all "dry waste" from plastic, tins, bottles, etc.

Each bin can get collected regularly once a week. That does away with the vehicles, fuel, and costs, of 60% of what currently happens in my area. Some of that saving can then be used by the council to pay for staff and equipment to sort out for recycling what they collect.

That would reduce the number of bin lorries by 60%, reduce their emissions by 60%, reduce fuel costs, and cut down on congestion. It would reduce the amount of rubbish blown about, and reduce the number of bins being made and supplied.

Separate, sort, and recycle, the waste centrally, and that will deliver genuine environmental benefits, and economic one's as well.

david mcgee

It is the council's job to collect and dispose of all our household waste, and they have a duty to do so in as an environmentally friendly way as possible, and also to maximise recycling and minimise waste going to landfill.

I cannot believe that supplying me with five different plastic bins, picked up on five different days, by crews in diesel powered lorries, can ever be classed as environmentally friendly, or economically sensible. Three out of these five bins (all made from oil based plastics) have to be replaced every couple of months or so, as they disappear when its windy, again neither environmentally friendly, nor economically sensible.

Give me one decent sized wheelie bin for bio degradable waste, including garden refuge and food scraps. Give me another decent sized wheelie bin for all "dry waste" from plastic, tins, bottles, etc.

Each bin can get collected regularly once a week. That does away with the vehicles, fuel, and costs, of 60% of what currently happens in my area. Some of that saving can then be used by the council to pay for staff and equipment to sort out for recycling what they collect.

That would reduce the number of bin lorries by 60%, reduce their emissions by 60%, reduce fuel costs, and cut down on congestion. It would reduce the amount of rubbish blown about, and reduce the number of bins being made and supplied.

Separate, sort, and recycle, the waste centrally, and that will deliver genuine environmental benefits, and economic one's as well.

Gasman, i bow to you.

I dont even care that you havent told me what an omnivore is.