'Rebel 10' Damaging SPL

RoyCropper

Apoligies if posted elsewhere.

Dont even know where to start with this. It defies belief.

Nothing to do with allegations of double contracts, tax avoidance, tax evasion, unpaid VAT, unpaid PAYE, not fit and proper chairmen, bomb threats, referee harrassment, referee strikes, unpaid transfer fees, unpaid share of cup tie gates etc.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/17604881?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=facebook&utm_campaign=sportsound

The Comedian

Nothing to do with allegations of double contracts, tax avoidance, tax evasion, unpaid VAT, unpaid PAYE, not fit and proper chairmen, bomb threats, referee harrassment, referee strikes, unpaid transfer fees, unpaid share of cup tie gates etc.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/17604881?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=facebook&utm_campaign=sportsound

But the TV deal, but the sponsors...

:sob:

The names of these supposed sponsors will never be known I bet. Typical blazer, bloated old fud.

I despair, these run our game, judging by the plook on the end of his snort there he can't even wash his gub properly. What chance have we got?

:muggy:

Indeed. Potential sponsors?

Who with any fraction of business acumen is wanting to be involved with and associated our game? No one, thats who.

Scaremongering at its finest.

I wish all 10 decent clubs do the right thing and resign from the SPL.

This would then leave the two real 'Rebel' clubs on their own, which would eventually just be Celtic when the other goes bust.

It is really starting to irritate me now and every fan from every club outwith Celtic and Rangers should urge their boards to stand firm on this.

Francis Albert

If this doesn't stir the 10 (or most of them) into action nothing will. The views of 10 out of 12 members not only don't count, but they are criticised for even expressing them.

The board arranged a 12 April general meeting after the 10 clubs called for the 11-1 majority for major changes to be reduced to 9-3.

But Rangers' administrator, Duff & Phelps, has since indicated that it would vote with Celtic to oppose any change.

"Having spoken candidly to Rangers' administrators, they have made it clear to me that they will not be supporting the members' requisitioned resolution on 12 April," said Topping.

The board meeting on the 12th should and hopefully will be postponed until after the 20th April, so everything else gets played out beforehand, we have waited a long time for this so no point in jumping the gun now, which is what Phud & Pishphlaps and the SPL board are hoping for.

Schevchenko

I thought the whole point was Rangers dont get a vote as they are in administration and therefore the 'rebel 10' could push through whatever they liked.

buca junior

Shock that the head of William Hills is coming out with these comments. It's not like TV exposure, high profile sponsorship and maintaing the existence of Rangers could impact his own business?

Coburg Hearts

http://www.bbc.co.uk...aign=sportsound

I posted on the other thread about this and it had/has me raging too. I don't wish ill will on anyone but this joker should be thinking of topping himself, metaphorically speaking of course. :yucky:

No longer active

The premise of the article is that the rebel 10 clubs are interested in sponsorship money and that without the old firm and the SPL in the current form many would suffer. A reality check is required here! The old firm (or Celtic as they will soon be known) need the rebel 10 more than the opposite. The majority of funds goes to Glasgow, so why is it in the rebel 10's interest? Without the old firm I would enjoy watching 10 decent sides play football on a Saturday. Scottish teams will never be on a par with the English or European greats, especially as now austerity is the new buzzword. But for Scots to support local Scottish football with the great names still competing, I for one would watch that. I do not care that the players are paid realistic wages and enjoy their sport as opposed to the mega money that the primadonnas of European football demand.

The premise of the article is that the rebel 10 clubs are interested in sponsorship money and that without the old firm and the SPL in the current form many would suffer. A reality check is required here! The old firm (or Celtic as they will soon be known) need the rebel 10 more than the opposite. The majority of funds goes to Glasgow, so why is it in the rebel 10's interest? Without the old firm I would enjoy watching 10 decent sides play football on a Saturday. Scottish teams will never be on a par with the English or European greats, especially as now austerity is the new buzzword. But for Scots to support local Scottish football with the great names still competing, I for one would watch that. I do not care that the players are paid realistic wages and enjoy their sport as opposed to the mega money that the primadonnas of European football demand.

100% spot on for me GC :thumbsup:

Francis Albert

The board arranged a 12 April general meeting after the 10 clubs called for the 11-1 majority for major changes to be reduced to 9-3.

But Rangers' administrator, Duff & Phelps, has since indicated that it would vote with Celtic to oppose any change.

"Having spoken candidly to Rangers' administrators, they have made it clear to me that they will not be supporting the members' requisitioned resolution on 12 April," said Topping.

The board meeting on the 12th should and hopefully will be postponed until after the 20th April, so everything else gets played out beforehand, we have waited a long time for this so no point in jumping the gun now, which is what Phud & Pishphlaps and the SPL board are hoping for.

No reason why there can't be another resolution and vote after the 20th? In the meantime making Celtic face the embarrassment of voting alongside the Rangers administrator in defence of the OF club ...

Daft statement from topping there..but you've got to remember the spl's not like the sfa..topping and doncaster have no power..they're employed by the 12 clubs,and can only act on their behalf,not on their own.. And in toppings case he only does it part time to help bring in some sponsorship and doesn't even recieve a wage..

Francis Albert

Daft statement from topping there..but you've got to remember the spl's not like the sfa..topping and doncaster have no power..they're employed by the 12 clubs,and can only act on their behalf,not on their own.. And in toppings case he only does it part time to help bring in some sponsorship and doesn't even recieve a wage..

He and Doncaster along with just two of the representatives of other clubs on the SPL board (Celtic, Dundee United, St Johnstone and Motherwell) can vote Rangers Newco into the SPL.

The heart bleeds. See link....

http://www.guardian.co.uk/business/2012/mar/13/william-hill-chief-pay-rise-ralph-topping

Snake Plissken

worker bees can leave

even drones can fly away

the queen is their slave

bigsuperslim1874

Excellent post

Any comments from the tired old blazers about what would happen to the TV deal if Rangers and Celtic carry out their threats about leaving and going to Engerland.

They have been threatening it for years, can anyone give me a quote from the SPL/GFA

over the many years they have had to give us one.

No!, none what so ever.

What a surprise.

i wish jj was my dad

Sportsound acknowledged that Topping was out of order last night. Michael Grant and Spencey ridiculed him and pondered whether he thought that the Uglies whoring themselves damaged the product. Even Keech found it hard to defend him.

He and Doncaster along with just two of the representatives of other clubs on the SPL board (Celtic, Dundee United, St Johnstone and Motherwell) can vote Rangers Newco into the SPL.

Is this for real?

I'll be gutted if this is true. . .

Can't we just all rejoin the SFL and let Celtic and Rangers (if they still even exist) come if they want or stay in the SPL if that's their wish? The SPL has run its course now for me, the events of the last few months have made it clearer than ever that its only purpose is to maximise the income of the OF, at the expense of everybody else.

If it means the ugly two disappearing I'd take Boabs windae cleaners as new spl sponsors.

Sportsound acknowledged that Topping was out of order last night. Michael Grant and Spencey ridiculed him and pondered whether he thought that the Uglies whoring themselves damaged the product. Even Keech found it hard to defend him.

When Grant said that it was the best part of the show.

Despite all that is happening, including the ever more in-your-face confirmation of what we've long suspected (that the SPL exists for the benefit of Rangers amd Celtic only), comments from guys like Topping and the fact that this could be the last chance to save Scottish football, people have already renewed their season ticket for next year!

Until this is sorted I hope ST sales at all SPL clubs, non-OF at least, are way down on last year.

Can't expect the 'leaders' of our game and clubs to show some gumption if we the fans blindly forego our biggest and best form of protest.

Some people, not all, even did so to save a few quid (in competition with their fellow supporter) whilst at the same time accusing those running the game/clubs of a lack of vision. Incredible.

The irony there being the 6 man SPL board require a two thirds majority to vote the newco back in yet the teams the board are there to work for require a 90% majority to change the voting rules!!

Only in Scotland eh!

worker bees can leave

even drones can fly away

the queen is their slave

I am jack's appreciation of relevant haikus.

Can't we just all rejoin the SFL and let Celtic and Rangers (if they still even exist) come if they want or stay in the SPL if that's their wish? The SPL has run its course now for me, the events of the last few months have made it clearer than ever that its only purpose is to maximise the income of the OF, at the expense of everybody else.

This needs the 10 clubs to be strong - which we all know will not happen.

The problem IMO is that there is no blueprint to take things forward. Most people appreciate the vote must happen first in order to start the path to change but the usual excuses are being used by OF sycophants when discussing it:

• "So they change the vote, what happens after?"
  • "They don't have any ideas to grow the game"
  • They seem to think a small increase in cash is the solution
  • They want to have a vote even though it will not pass.

When quite often those who are loudest are regularly the most stupid - those prominent in the Scottish media are too thick to see past the Old Firm and have treated the 10 SPL clubs with contempt.

Ralph Topping demonstrated a lack of understanding of Scottish football. Not surprising considering his career started in a bookmakers near Hampden.

Ralph Topping demonstrated a lack of understanding of Scottish football. Not surprising considering his career started in a bookmakers near Hampden.

Not only lacking an understanding of Scottish football, but his own position as chairman of the SPL! Doncaster stated in a recent interview that the SPL board is there to implement the rules of the SPL as put in place by it's member clubs. Topping attacking the '10' in favour of the 'rebel 2' (surely it's time to correct this rebel crapthumbsup.gif) shows a lack of respect to the clubs he is effectively employed by.

How he can support 2 over the wishes of 10 is beyond me.

On top of that, if he doesn't see that any potential sponsors or SKY/ESPN are not going to pump in cash until the Rangers situation is sorted out one way or another, he should leave his position now as he is clearly not fit to be there.

Maiden Gorgie

Bang on the money. It should be a source of pride that Scottish Football still has a soul to save. The English PL is a circus, Sky has it by the testicles.

Competition and a chance to win the league will bring punters back through the gates. They will try and say its devalued without the OF but thats what the OF wanted to do anyway.

Take a backward step to take a sprint forwards

Clearly a propoganda campaign in full flow against the majority - ok this is to be expected. The 10s Plan A - reconstitute SPL voting etc - is under predictable attack.

From the "rebel 10" point of view I hope there is some professional business planning happening and I hope some work has been done on the following :

Plan B

Potential of resignation from SPL

What would proposed new league structure be

Have SFL teams been sounded out and would they be agreeable

Have TV broadcasters been sounded out - is there potential for a deal

Same with sponsors

How would money be more fairly split.

This is a practically a political campaign and the 10 will get nowhere without some propoganda of their own.

What I would hope might happen if the 10 are vaguely organised is that an "anonymous" Sunday interview deal is struck and some snippets are released along the lines of

"We have had informal discussions with various parties (SFL teams, TV companies and sponsors) about what life might look like if the non-old firm SPL teams were to resign from the league. It is clear to us that there would remain financial interest in what would be a more competitive league. Yes, the global amounts of money would be less, but because the money would be more evenly shared between the teams, the loss would not be as significant as being made out by the Old Firm. We believe that a more competitive league will have a positive impact on attendances. You have seen in the past couple of decades that when teams like Hibs and Dundee United were relegated, their crowds held up well in those seasons because they were winning games and were at the top of that league. Despite reports to the contrary, every team in the SPL can survive without Rangers and Celtic and if push comes to shove we will prove that this is true with the formation of a new league without them."

No longer active

Clearly a propoganda campaign in full flow against the majority - ok this is to be expected. The 10s Plan A - reconstitute SPL voting etc - is under predictable attack.

From the "rebel 10" point of view I hope there is some professional business planning happening and I hope some work has been done on the following :

Plan B

Same with sponsors

This is a practically a political campaign and the 10 will get nowhere without some propoganda of their own.

What I would hope might happen if the 10 are vaguely organised is that an "anonymous" Sunday interview deal is struck and some snippets are released along the lines of

"We have had informal discussions with various parties (SFL teams, TV companies and sponsors) about what life might look like if the non-old firm SPL teams were to resign from the league. It is clear to us that there would remain financial interest in what would be a more competitive league. Yes, the global amounts of money would be less, but because the money would be more evenly shared between the teams, the loss would not be as significant as being made out by the Old Firm. We believe that a more competitive league will have a positive impact on attendances. You have seen in the past couple of decades that when teams like Hibs and Dundee United were relegated, their crowds held up well in those seasons because they were winning games and were at the top of that league. Despite reports to the contrary, every team in the SPL can survive without Rangers and Celtic and if push comes to shove we will prove that this is true with the formation of a new league without them."

I really cannot understand why there is so much fuss over 10 clubs looking after their own interests

Where was the criticism when Rangers or Celtic were being touted to join the EPL or Championship; they always manage to look after themselves (well Celtic do).

This article was in the mail a week or so ago Celtic to join English League; however it is just speculation despite comments from Lennon.

Why is this "Rebel 10" argument so unbalanced.

I say lets start looking after ourselves as a collective, 10 Rebels plus 6 top SFL sides and have a decent, respected league, good competition- The media will have to like it or lump it

Dr. Bapswent

So its the majority who are the 'Rebels'?

Because they wont tow the OF line?

How can 10 vs. 2 be described as 'rebelious'.

Its the OF who are 'rebelling' against the majority concensus and being difficult.

Is this for real?

I'll be gutted if this is true. . .

It's worse than that ain't it?

Don't topping & Doncaster only need I to side with them? Would mean split 3/3 vote with top boeys then having final say anyway? :(

georgeparkdb

Only in Scottish Football is 2 > 10

The 10 teams should resign on masse from the SPL.

And let the OF battle it out every week in a new "OF SPL". (Sky will just love having an OF game every weekend) NOT

How the "OF SPL" get round having a title decider in an OF game beats me though.

unbelievable......................

As for the problems with sponsors saying no during these uncertain times....maybe they should look at the cheats who currently sit 2nd top of the league.

colinmaroon

The overwhelming sense of what's been posted on here cannot be denied!

It can be dismissed by those who are so entrenched in their corruption that the truth has become a lie and the lie has become their truth.

That is what we see with Topping who, in light of his comments, has lost any credibilty whatsoever.

Sadly, as the "popular" meedjia are so far up the Uglies lack of sunshine place and are themselves part of the problem, there is unlikely to be any significant exposure of the utter hypocrisy of this lickspittle chairman.

The only course of action for an honourable man would be to resign.

Topping will not resign!

Only in Scottish Football is 2 > 10

The 10 teams should resign on masse from the SPL.

And let the OF battle it out every week in a new "OF SPL". (Sky will just love having an OF game every weekend) NOT

How the "OF SPL" get round having a title decider in an OF game beats me though.

unbelievable......................

As for the problems with sponsors saying no during these uncertain times....maybe they should look at the cheats who currently sit 2nd top of the league.

I think the teams should already have resigned is clear that if rangers are granted a vote their going to stop the change, and i find it hard to see it as rebelling since surely if its a majority thats called needed change not a rebellion,

Anyway if theres no change i think resignation should be the next course of action, leave that **** doncaster jobless

Plan B

Same with sponsors

U agree that plan is needed. But it needs to be a plam for Scottish football. How can it grow? How can real competition be achieved? Fair distriburiom of cash but how? Shared gates? maximum squad size ? The 10 need to start talks with the SFA along the lines of - can the title winner get into the CL set-up? - In short, the 10 need a credible business plan to satisfy their shareholders and supporters.

Topping is probably worried that rangers supporters will boycott Willie Hills if he doesn't side with them, conflict of interests perhaps.

Topping is probably worried that rangers supporters will boycott Willie Hills if he doesn't side with them, conflict of interests perhaps.

Rangers fans boycotting gambling...be serious :D

Rangers fans boycotting gambling...be serious :D

Not gambling OTT, just Willie Hills and giving their business to Ladbrokes :thumbsup:

As far as I'm aware, the 11-1 requirement is only for financial issues. Therefore, a 10-2 majority should be enough to sack this arsehole.

Resign from the SPL. simple strategy, if enough teams do it (4 or 5 would do) then they would have to reconsider. Its time someone had the minerals to stand up to this cartel.

Not gambling OTT, just Willie Hills and giving their business to Ladbrokes :thumbsup:

Ahhh good thinking

Resign from the SPL. simple strategy, if enough teams do it (4 or 5 would do) then they would have to reconsider. Its time someone had the minerals to stand up to this cartel.

:thumbsup: Best way forward, lifes for the majority, rangers and celtic may bring in the most revenue but that could be down to the other 10 being deprived of any real money (and shot in europe) so yeah SFL ftw!

Chad Sexington

I despair for Scottish football.

It really doesnt stand a chance with OF lickspittles like Topping in positions of power and rapid OF monkeys reporting on it. :(

Vlad-Stupid

So its the majority who are the 'Rebels'?

Because they wont tow the OF line?

How can 10 vs. 2 be described as 'rebelious'.

Its the OF who are 'rebelling' against the majority concensus and being difficult.

The more you think about it, the more absurd the whole thing gets.

:facepalm:

Archived