Decorating

superjack

Hi folks , about to start painting the bedrooms and was wondering of anyone has used a paint pad instead of a brush or roller.

If so , please let me know as I'm intrigued , but not sure whether I can trust a product advertised by tommy walsh

Buy yourself a decent roller. Only person I've seen use a paint pad is Tommy Walsh.

Honestly buy a decent roller. The wife done a great job on our kids room and their play room. And get a decent big brush for cutting in.

I'm not allowed to decorate in the house , that's the wife's job.She never uses a paint pad and as last poster says a roller and a brush for cutting in.

Don't know how effective the paint pads are but they look simple enough and anytime you see them being used on TV the job seems to be finished in no time and look to do a good job , but then again all the sports equipment they advertise gives the people six packs and rippling muscles and that's never happened to me !

Paint pads are only ok if the wall is smooth. If you are painting over a textured paper, the grooves get missed. Get a decent roller and apply slowly. Not so much spray that way.

I hate painting with a passion. I'm on my 4th room of the house decorating this year. I've re-papered them all. Only glossed the skirtings.

The walls will be pretty smooth as I'm putting lining paper up first. Normally I would use a roller but I like the look of these as they appear to be good for cutting in around edges and skirting boards

Are they any good for the cutting in alone , or will I just stick to the traditional way of using a wee brush and pretending to the wife that the walls are not quite straight at the corners?

southside1874

Are they any good for the cutting in alone , or will I just stick to the traditional way of using a wee brush and pretending to the wife that the walls are not quite straight at the corners?

Don't waste your money on this thing. Buy a decent roller and a decent brush for cutting in. I've never seen any decorator using these and if you check the diy forums they get pretty bad press from previous users.

• 8 years later...

Thought I would join the random thread bump game.

I listened to everyone on here and just painted with a roller. Still haven't found anyone who has actually used a paint pad.

On another note, has anyone ever used one of those rollers that you fill with paint? The paint runner pro roller was the 1 I seen.

Stewie Griffin

Although I don’t do it anymore professionally I was a painter and decorator and would stick to using a good quality roller and good quality brushes. Hamilton perfection pure bristle are the best brushes in my experience. 

11 minutes ago, SupaJT said:

Have used a paint pad to paint the ceiling in the past - would never use one again, made a mess

A roller would also make a mess if it was me doing a ceiling.

It would appear that I am the only person to have used a pad on a wall, it worked a treat with no mess or grooves missed. You lot must be shite painters. 😄

jack D and coke
1 hour ago, Stewie Griffin said:

Although I don’t do it anymore professionally I was a painter and decorator and would stick to using a good quality roller and good quality brushes. Hamilton perfection pure bristle are the best brushes in my experience. 

Not anymore bud the synthetic brushes are far superior imo. 
Purdy brushes and rollers are the best around.
They’re not the cheapest though and there’s stuff like Fat Hog that’s cheaper and still pretty good. Hamilton do decent synthetic also tbh. 

9 hours ago, superjack said:

Thought I would join the random thread bump game.

I listened to everyone on here and just painted with a roller. Still haven't found anyone who has actually used a paint pad.

On another note, has anyone ever used one of those rollers that you fill with paint? The paint runner pro roller was the 1 I seen.

8 YEARS before you round to painting the room. :omg_2:  :whistling:

8 hours ago, indianajones said:

Fecking hate decorating. 

Need to do the skirting soon. 

3 hours ago, ri Alban said:

I don't mind emulsioning and hanging paper, but you can stick glossing(especially doors) right up yer arse. 

Don't gloss anymore, use Satinwood.  

Much easier paint to use than gloss, more like an emulsion and leaves a really good finish.

The Mrs insists on doing the skirtings and doors herself :yas:, but she now uses satinwood all the time.

50 minutes ago, Tommy Brown said:

8 YEARS before you round to painting the room. :omg_2:  :whistling:

Don't gloss anymore, use Satinwood.  

Much easier paint to use than gloss, more like an emulsion and leaves a really good finish.

The Mrs insists on doing the skirtings and doors herself :yas:, but she now uses satinwood all the time.

Does she want to come up here and do mine? Lucky man. 

I presume you can just paint over gloss with satinwood? Cheers for the tip!

34 minutes ago, indianajones said:

Does she want to come up here and do mine? Lucky man. 

I presume you can just paint over gloss with satinwood? Cheers for the tip!

Yes, but obviously give it a sanding first.

This has come from 3 different decorator friends, they use it as much as possible.

5 hours ago, ri Alban said:

I don't mind emulsioning and hanging paper, but you can stick glossing(especially doors) right up yer arse. 

I've stopped using gloss when doing skirting boards window sills (athough I've noe pvc'd them all).

Silk or sheen does the job just fine.