The Rangers soap opera goes on and on.

Sergio Garcia

jamboinglasgow

so let me get this straight, Newco Rangers put an application into the SPL to take over oldco Rangers membership. The vote for that happens tomorrow. The SFL have been asked to vote on whether they will take Newco Rangers into the first division even though Newco Rangers have put no application into the SFL to join them. The vote for the SFL happens a week on Thursday (12th.) But now the SPL are thinking of postponing their vote till after the SFL vote (if you persume they need a few days to contemplate on the SFL vote results lets say they meet on the Wednesday 18th July (or two and a half weeks before the start of the SPL season.) So what is to stop the SFL deciding that they need to know if Rangers are in the SPL or not first so postpone their EGM till after the SPL have their vote - this could mean time runs out to vote them in and the absurd sight of the SPL starting with 11 teams or one of the other leagues starting with 9.

Also surely the SFA saying that Rangers must go into the first division or else Armageddon happens in Scottish football will cause problems for the tribunal into Rangers by the SFA (if they are holding the Newco to account for the Oldco's crimes) as it means you cant suspend Rangers for a season and leave only a fine or suspension from the cup.

How hard is it for a journalist to get a definitive answer out of Sky re their forward support, with or without Rangers.

Surely It's in everyone's interest to know. Unless you know the answer is they will continue to show SPL games and are trying to pretend they're not. If they genuinely are threatening a pull out, which I think we all know they won't, then it is in newco's interest for them to say so.

A bit late in the day to reply to this I know, but ignoring the fact that this information should be irrelevant to the SFL, it is a pretty disturbing threat.

It is not only saying that this (rather bizarre) contract clause means newco "must" go straight into div 1, but it is also implying that newco MUST BE PROMOTED IN THEIR FIRST SEASON.

What would happen if newco, with their paltry squad and possibly non-existent funding, fail to get promoted? Will we still have financial Armageddon? Presumably so, based on the threats made thus far.

Clearly this is why doncaster et al are trying so hard to package up play-offs along with newco to div 1. They are doing a great job of making it look like a sweet benefit to the SFL teams, when really it is an insurance policy for newco.

Grrr.

What we need to know is how Doncaster could negotiate a deal in the first place that is dependent on a particular team maintaining their place in the SPL. This surely is grounds for gross misconduct (or total incompetence) Either way he should go.

Imeantasong

Stuff like this can never be linked too many times:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/media/2002/mar/28/broadcasting.clubsincrisis

30 clubs in danger, financial meltdown etc. All still playing football and having their games shown on TV.

Doncaster mellowed somewhat too:

http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/football/spl/2009/07/09/english-clubs-came-back-stronger-after-their-tv-deal-collapsed-and-scotland-can-do-the-same-says-new-spl-chief-86908-21506046/

:ermm:

Oh well done.

See, the power of the internet.

Top 20 Posters rough update.. :)

The Gasman 1192

Lovecraft 770

Geoff Kilpatrick 717

Hagar the Horrible 672

jambovambo 654

jamboinglasgow 619

jambosrbarry 598

Francis Albert 594

Dexter 519

Rick Grimes 502

I P Knightley 500

Socrates 492

Imeantasong 457

I.T.K 394

davieholt 362

colinmaroon 362

The Comedian 335

The Mighty Thor 325

Tasavallan 312

...a bit disco 312

Arnold 174 :mellow:

A Poor performance by me i must up the Anty :thumbsup: above Dexter though which is pleasing :thumbsup: until der cheating huns are in division 3 i will not rest. :blink:

jamboinglasgow

Living through here and speaking to them, they just don't seem to get why their board would do that.

They still think they are a certainty to vote "No". "Why wouldn't we vote No? It would leave the league open to us for at least 3 years."

Jeez, they still think Celtic FC board would love to kill off the huns.

Trying to explain that they are in cahoots and behaving like the OF always do (did) just doesn't get through.

Neither does the fact they would win the league for at least 3 years anyway whilst Newco had to rebuild.

There's enough educated ones on the net, but they are hardly forcing Celtic's hand. They'll probably suggest were Celtic to speak out it would cause WW3 through here (it might).

Celtic will dress it up with too much power loss being demanded, with the truth being less than they insinuate. And they will convert most of their fan base into agreeing. IMHO.

I am surprised that the Celtic fans you have spoken to, when you mention the Old Firm, dont do their annoy routine of faux outrage that you ever dared see Celtic as part of the old firm, that only applies to Rangers apparently and there has never been a partnership. Only the bigots at Rangers should have the label old firm. Seen it said by Celtic fans many time and my jaw drops every time at their brass necked cheek.

Fozzyonthefence

The piece on STV Tonight was really good. An accurate summary of a pretty complicated day including an interview with Turnbull Hutton and a question raised about why Celtic are saying nothing.

By comparison, the only thing that BBC's Reporting Scotland covered was that the "Rangers" chairman said sorry today.

This guy's been great - can we have him as Chairman when Vlad sells up please? But how long until his windows start getting panned in or death threats against him and his family by ra peepil?

Takeshi's Tynecastle

There is also some irony at Doncaster etc wringing hands over the (possibly imaginary) ?16m loss to the game from only letting newco into div 3, with his only solution being to forget about any punishment for the (very real) ?100m+ that rangers defaulted on.

Francis Albert

Apparently some SPL chairmen now want vote tomorrow postponed to allow lower league clubs to decide Rangers' fate. U couldn't make this up! -- Mark Donaldson (@Donaldson007)

In which case the SFL vote on 12th July could only be an informal one on what they would do in the hypothetical event that Newco were to be rejected by the SPL and applied to the SFL.

Presumably then "worried SFL chairmen" could meet to decide whether or not to change their vote in the event that Newco were not actually accepted in the SPL and a formal vote were called.

Or the SFL could simply postpone their vote until they had a real question to answer and the parcel could go on being passed indefinitely.

Is there no end to how stupid some of these football administrators and chairmen are prepared to make themselves look?

Carl Spackler

I am surprised that the Celtic fans you have spoken to, when you mention the Old Firm, dont do their annoy routine of faux outrage that you ever dared see Celtic as part of the old firm, that only applies to Rangers apparently and there has never been a partnership. Only the bigots at Rangers should have the label old firm. Seen it said by Celtic fans many time and my jaw drops every time at their brass necked cheek.

They probably genuinely believe it. Stockholm Syndrome.

Francis Albert

This guy's been great - can we have him as Chairman when Vlad sells up please? But how long until his windows start getting panned in or death threats against him and his family by ra peepil?

So how many people have had their windows done in or received death threats so far? Lke so much from the Rangers camp it is empty internet-fuelled bluster. They are too stupid to get away with it even if they tried.

Pistol1874

Top 20 Posters rough update.. :)

The Gasman 1192

Lovecraft 770

Geoff Kilpatrick 717

Hagar the Horrible 672

jambovambo 654

jamboinglasgow 619

jambosrbarry 598

Francis Albert 594

Dexter 519

Rick Grimes 502

I P Knightley 500

Socrates 492

Imeantasong 457

I.T.K 394

davieholt 362

colinmaroon 362

The Comedian 335

The Mighty Thor 325

Tasavallan 312

...a bit disco 312

Arnold 174 :mellow:

Most frequent posters, no?

;)

...a bit disco

;)

No, definitely TOP 20.

It's what Oor Arnie aspires to you see!

:thumbsup:

Pistol1874

No, definitely TOP 20.

Fair enough!

:)

Edited by Pistol1874

Harry Palmer

No, definitely TOP 20.

It's my main aim in life. :geek:

...a bit disco

It's my main aim in life. :geek:

It's good to have goals A-Bomb!

What the feck are the SPL chairmen playing at.

Get tae feck and vote.

How can the SFL vote on what to do with The Rangers until the SPL have voted? Until SPL have punted The Rangers the SFL have no decision to make.

What a set of twats.

I am truly sickened. No matter what happens now I am scunnered.

Imeantasong

In which case the SFL vote on 12th July could only be an informal one on what they would do in the hypothetical event that Newco were to be rejected by the SPL and applied to the SFL.

Presumably then "worried SFL chairmen" could meet to decide whether or not to change their vote in the event that Newco were not actually accepted in the SPL and a formal vote were called.

Or the SFL could simply postpone their vote until they had a real question to answer and the parcel could go on being passed indefinitely.

Is there no end to how stupid some of these football administrators and chairmen are prepared to make themselves look?

But it's only the local population they have to bother about, and we've been treated like idiots for years. They would get praised for coming out with the 'correct' decision by the media if they just voted them into the SPL or SFL1.

Unless of course UEFA and FIFA are really interested.

The national (I mean British) press / media aren't that interested. Try seeing this scandal discussed in any depth outside the odd slot on C4 News. You don't on the 24 hour stations like BBC News 24, Sky News, even Sky Sports News (probably vested interest in the latter two).

Fozzyonthefence

So how many people have had their windows done in or received death threats so far? Lke so much from the Rangers camp it is empty internet-fuelled bluster. They are too stupid to get away with it even if they tried.

The Raith guy that was on the supposed secret independent panel that voted on the transfer embargo was apparently subjected to threats and had police intervention / advice once his identity was exposed. Hutton said as much in a recent interview. Hopefully just empty threats but this is what you are up against with the former OF.

Imeantasong

The Raith guy that was on the supposed secret independent panel that voted on the transfer embargo was apparently subjected to threats and had police intervention / advice once his identity was exposed. Hutton said as much in a recent interview. Hopefully just empty threats but this is what you are up against with the former OF.

But Allez McCoist is to be praised for his conduct in the midst of this dilemma for the unfortunate victims.

After all the crap that has happened in the past few months, if the clubs turn around and adjourn the meeting tomorrow, it's game over.

Just let them back into the SPL and get it done FFS, as the fans will walk away anyway.

Scottish football is finished.

frazerdm1112_228x374.jpg

John Montgomery

What we need to know is how Doncaster could negotiate a deal in the first place that is dependent on a particular team maintaining their place in the SPL.

Exactly. It is tantamount to saying no matter where in the league the Old Firm finish at the split they must be in the top six.

vegas-voss

No wonder the English think it is Mickey Mouse up here.An absolute farce this has been for months now and it continues to be so.

Sent from my GT-N7000 using Tapatalk 2

Dodgy Doncaster is not to be trusted brown paper bags being passed to him from Mr Green :blink: we are up against dark forces here :verymad: :verymad: :verymad:

in Thommo we trust :thumbsup:

Edited by jambosrbarry

Jambof3tornado

A bit late in the day to reply to this I know, but ignoring the fact that this information should be irrelevant to the SFL, it is a pretty disturbing threat.

It is not only saying that this (rather bizarre) contract clause means newco "must" go straight into div 1, but it is also implying that newco MUST BE PROMOTED IN THEIR FIRST SEASON.

What would happen if newco, with their paltry squad and possibly non-existent funding, fail to get promoted? Will we still have financial Armageddon? Presumably so, based on the threats made thus far.

Clearly this is why doncaster et al are trying so hard to package up play-offs along with newco to div 1. They are doing a great job of making it look like a sweet benefit to the SFL teams, when really it is an insurance policy for newco.

Grrr.

Good point well presented!!!

;)

Anyone do a top 40 so I can see how far I am from the elite lamb munchers at the top??

:sob:

jamboinglasgow

Interesting idea in this, at least brings much needed re-structuring to Scottish football, but is it enough:

SG talked about how the SFL clubs could really negotiate hard on Ranges coming in to SFL 1 and that the St.Mirren board hoped this could include a re-organisation of the top flight to grow the number of clubs.

The model he discussed involved 3 up and 1 down next season, bringing the SPL to 14 clubs who would play a 6/8 split which would potentially give Sky their 4 old firm games for season 2013-2014 in the last year of their current contract (assuming Rangers won promotion next season and finished top six the next which clearly can't be guaranteed).

The following year would again see 3 clubs promoted and 1 relegated to make a top flight league of 16. The ins and outs of how that 16 would be constructed would still need to be worked on but in essence it would involve play offs at the top and bottom of the league and giving up a Europa slot as incentive to the clubs in the middle of the league.

Below the second tier would be a pyramid of potentially regionalised leagues feeding in but SG acknowledged that this would be up to those clubs operating in those leagues to decide what was best for them as a football club and it was out with the scope of tonight's meeting to discuss that in any more detail.

SG said that the model needed refined, but pointed to the Belgian league who have a similar setup.

This was an example of how the SFL clubs could bring about positive change for the game from a negative situation.

It was noted that this option still reduces the value of sporting integrity and so was still unpalatable but less so in the boards opinion than a straight re-introduction to the SPL 1 would be.

Imeantasong

One guy, in his 40s or 50s as well, thought it was just "funny to hear other fans' paranoia" when I put it to him that Celtic might be up to the old protectionism behind the scenes.

Just couldn't accept they might just be a bit of a devious club / board.

No wonder the press can feed them any old crap.

THE WORD NO WILL RING IN GREENS EARS SOON VERY SOON BYE BYE

Harry Palmer

"Complete Financial Meltdown!!!" :rolleyes:

Scenario 3; Rangers return to SFL 3

If the SFL clubs voted against allowing Rangers into SFL 1, and the SPL clubs voted against allowing re-introduction to the SPL then the only other option open to the NewCo in Scotland is to apply for what would be a vacancy in SFL 3.

This is the option most favoured by the fans, which the board acknowledge, and in a perfect world this is what would happen.

The main sticking point is the situation with regard the SPL central sponsors. There are 14 or so of these who contribute between them around ?17m of money into the Scottish game.

The SPL has met with all of these organisations and discussed the possibility of Rangers moving to SFL 3.

Almost every partner has a clause in their contract that allows them to terminate or re-negotiate based on a scenario of either or both of the old firm clubs leaving the Scottish game. These clauses were put there in good faith as both clubs had previously indicated a wish to play in England or in a European league.

Late last weeks the SPL clubs were issued with a report outlining worst and best case scenarios for loss of commercial revenue should Rangers end up in SFL 3.

The SPL was not permitting clubs to discuss individual sponsors and their exact positions but some had said they would remain whatever happened and some said they would terminate, some said they would re-negotiate.

The estimated loss to St.Mirren based on the figures in this report would be between ?600k and ?1.1 in lost revenue based on last year's earnings (St.Mirren finished 9th in the SPL).

The club always sets it's annual SPL budget based on a worst case scenario of finishing 11th (relegation clauses are built in to every player's contract across the whole SPL so the reduction in revenue following relegation would be offset by reduced wages) and in that scenario the club would still lose ?400k to ?800k depending on how negotiations went with the sponsors who had indicated a willingness to negotiate.

The board of St.Mirren reckon cost savings of around ?275k could be made this season with no new players coming in and heavy redundancies and cut backs across every area of the club. Essentially every area where staff were not under contract would be cut to the bone.

This would still leave a large gap and one that the club could not bridge without outside help either from sponsors, player sales, fans, benefactors, the board or anyone else who would be willing to help. It would be a "financial disaster" for the club and one that it could take years to recover from.

SG warned that the club could even face Administration in these circumstances and that 5 other SPL clubs would almost certainly be in the same boat.

SG acknowledged that none of the above scenarios were positive, and that there would be unhappy supporters no matter what happened.

Edited by Arnold

...a bit disco

THE WORD NO WILL RING IN GREENS EARS SOON VERY SOON BYE BYE

HAVE YOU BEEN DRINKING????

Reading between the lines, and reading that St Mirren statement I think it's very very very unlikely that we will see The Rangers re-entering anywhere below SFL1.

<_<

Reading between the lines, and reading that St Mirren statement I think it's very very very unlikely that we will see The Rangers re-entering anywhere below SFL1.

<_<

Hagar the Horrible

I have one message to SPL and SFL chairmen to consider this, whatever football means to you vote NO

If the game cant survive without Rangers then let me assure you society can

?130m will pay for a hospital full of doctors and nurses able to treat our troops who dont have the equipment required because one Club Stole all that money.

Let them die so troops can live!

Jambof3tornado

"Complet Financial Meltdown!!!" :rolleyes:

Scenario 3; Rangers return to SFL 3

If the SFL clubs voted against allowing Rangers into SFL 1, and the SPL clubs voted against allowing re-introduction to the SPL then the only other option open to the NewCo in Scotland is to apply for what would be a vacancy in SFL 3.

This is the option most favoured by the fans, which the board acknowledge, and in a perfect world this is what would happen.

The main sticking point is the situation with regard the SPL central sponsors. There are 14 or so of these who contribute between them around ?17m of money into the Scottish game.

The SPL has met with all of these organisations and discussed the possibility of Rangers moving to SFL 3.

Almost every partner has a clause in their contract that allows them to terminate or re-negotiate based on a scenario of either or both of the old firm clubs leaving the Scottish game. These clauses were put there in good faith as both clubs had previously indicated a wish to play in England or in a European league.

Late last weeks the SPL clubs were issued with a report outlining worst and best case scenarios for loss of commercial revenue should Rangers end up in SFL 3.

The SPL was not permitting clubs to discuss individual sponsors and their exact positions but some had said they would remain whatever happened and some said they would terminate, some said they would re-negotiate.

The estimated loss to St.Mirren based on the figures in this report would be between ?600k and ?1.1 in lost revenue based on last year's earnings (St.Mirren finished 9th in the SPL).

The club always sets it's annual SPL budget based on a worst case scenario of finishing 11th (relegation clauses are built in to every player's contract across the whole SPL so the reduction in revenue following relegation would be offset by reduced wages) and in that scenario the club would still lose ?400k to ?800k depending on how negotiations went with the sponsors who had indicated a willingness to negotiate.

The board of St.Mirren reckon cost savings of around ?275k could be made this season with no new players coming in and heavy redundancies and cut backs across every area of the club. Essentially every area where staff were not under contract would be cut to the bone.

This would still leave a large gap and one that the club could not bridge without outside help either from sponsors, player sales, fans, benefactors, the board or anyone else who would be willing to help. It would be a "financial disaster" for the club and one that it could take years to recover from.

SG warned that the club could even face Administration in these circumstances and that 5 other SPL clubs would almost certainly be in the same boat.

SG acknowledged that none of the above scenarios were positive, and that there would be unhappy supporters no matter what happened.

So ?17m is a worst case scenario meant to panic chairmen, coming from 14 sources not of whom have said they will definately walk away.

Also of note is the fact that the saints havent had their prize money yet for finishing 9th in the league,why hasnt this all been paid out???

tartofmidlothian

Good find Arnold, and very interesting. For better or worse, it's good to see one club's precise financial situation regarding this outlined.

The immediate headline is that St Mirren seem happy to vote No to Newco re-entering the SPL. However if they go down to the 3rd some of the SPL's sponsors will walk (and some will stay, and some are unsure). St Mirren say this will at best force them to release everyone who isn't under contract, at worse put them into admin, and they say five other clubs are in the same boat. Reluctantly, they'd be contact to see an SPL1 and Rangers in it.

What we already suspected about many clubs, but good to see it down in black and white.

Hagar the Horrible

St Mirren and St Johnstone wont change votes

I cant see Aberdeen or us changing either

So it looks like Celtic are alone in the Yes camp with their puppets Kilmarnock!

After the vote time to expose Celtic for what they are and go after them next!

Hagar the Horrible

So ?17m is a worst case scenario meant to panic chairmen, coming from 14 sources not of whom have said they will definately walk away.

Also of note is the fact that the saints havent had their prize money yet for finishing 9th in the league,why hasnt this all been paid out???

Might be held by doncaster to vote yes and you will get your money

Jambof3tornado

<_<

Not up to the spl to decide though,and the same threats over loss of income wont wash with sfl clubs,even with the 25 to 35k sweetners being talked about.

kingdannyb

"Outspoken Raith Rovers chairman Turnbull Hutton said the crisis proves the SPL is ?dead? and must be wound up. ?There is going to be a bit of pain (if SFL clubs reject Rangers) but, in essence, the SPL is now like a dead parrot,? he said. ?There should maybe now be a recognition from the top that the SPL is dead and let?s wind it up."

He might be right.

tartofmidlothian

Of course, if clubs like St Mirren are really serious about sporting integrity, the obvious thing to do is go into admin and take the ten point hit for next season. And if they can't get a CVA accepted, they can always come back in the 3rd as a Newco and let a good club like Raith have their place in the SPL :whistling:

Scottish football's great leveller, for those willing to make the jump. The ultimate test of fans' commitment to Rangers being punished. Would we be willing to see Hearts drop to the 3rd as well to see it happen?

Edited by tartofmidlothian

Hagar the Horrible

Once the SPL vote no to newco, then the power shifts to the SFL clubs they have it in their hands to hold the SPL to ransom, change or we wont vote Newco in.

God i hope this is the case and arguements ensue so as to keep newco in limbo for long enough they go for burton as well

Bwwwwaaahhaaaa he says in an evil villian voice

livingstonjambo

"Outspoken Raith Rovers chairman Turnbull Hutton said the crisis proves the SPL is ?dead? and must be wound up. ?There is going to be a bit of pain (if SFL clubs reject Rangers) but, in essence, the SPL is now like a dead parrot,? he said. ?There should maybe now be a recognition from the top that the SPL is dead and let?s wind it up."

He might be right.

There is no doubt about it, he is right

JamboRossi79
1341357325[/url]' post='3019944']

These are apparently the current sponsors http://www.scotprem.com/content/default.asp?page=s34

He might be right.

Labelled out spoken for telling it like it is. what a shite state of affairs

There is no doubt about it, he is right

Yeah, he is spot on. The SPL needs binned.

• Maple Leaf locked this topic