'Cloaking' a 3-D object ;

maroonlegions

maroonlegions

Love it when there are new breakthroughs or discoveries made by science , this time they have managed to cloak a 3-d object from all angles, a cloak of Harry Potter qualities is far off but its a small step and what will this discovery be responsible for in say the next five years; Interesting times indeed we live in;ML;cool.gif

*****************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************

'Cloaking' a 3-D object from all angles demonstrate;

_58094157_58094155.jpg

QUOTE FROM LINK SOURCE;

"Researchers have "cloaked" a three-dimensional object, making it invisible from all angles, for the first time.

However, the demonstration works only for waves in the microwave region of the electromagnetic spectrum.

It uses a shell of what are known as plasmonic materials; they present a "photo negative" of the object being cloaked, effectively cancelling it out.

The idea, outlined in New Journal of Physics, could find first application in high-resolution microscopes.

Most of the high-profile invisibility cloaking efforts have focused on the engineering of "metamaterials" - modifying materials to have properties that cannot be found in nature;"

LINK; http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-16726609

maroonlegions

I would like to add if i may that this cloaking only works for waves in the region of the electromagnetic spectrum and not physical objects,( not yet anyway,who knows what new discoveries will happen in the future),ML;woot.gif

QUOTE;

"However, the demonstration works only for waves in the microwave region of the electromagnetic spectrum.

It uses a shell of what are known as plasmonic materials; they present a "photo negative" of the object being cloaked, effectively cancelling it out."

I would like to add if i may that this cloaking only works for waves in the region of the electromagnetic spectrum and not physical objects,( not yet anyway,who knows what new discoveries will happen in the future),ML;woot.gif

QUOTE;

"However, the demonstration works only for waves in the microwave region of the electromagnetic spectrum.

It uses a shell of what are known as plasmonic materials; they present a "photo negative" of the object being cloaked, effectively cancelling it out."

You realise that this was already in your original post? Its interesting stuff. can't see any of us getting hold of an invisibility cloak though.

maroonlegions

D%27deridex_class_original_studio_model_publicity_still.jpg

laugh.gif

Maybe one day eh, the future has funny ways of throwing up the most unlikely discoveriesbiggrin.gif ;Take this article below not so long ago on another form of cloaking, looks as if the future has just been fertilised , time will tell as usual;ML;geek.gif

Carbon nanotube 'space camouflage' coating invented;

_56857896_nanotank3.jpg

Above a tank etched out of silicon viewed carbon nanotube,(left),and with the coating;

QUOTE;

"Tiny carbon tubes can be used to hide three-dimensional objects from view, according to a team of researchers.

The nanotubes are one-atom thick sheets of graphene wrapped into cylindrical tubes.

Engineers from University of Michigan found they could be used to obscure objects so that they appeared to be nothing more than a flat black sheet.

The team suggest "forests" of the material may one day be used to cloak spacecraft in deep space.laugh.gif

The group says the technology works because the nanotubes' "index of refraction [is] very close to that of air".blink.gif

link http://www.bbc.co.uk...nology-15837145

maroonlegions, I'm a technophobe and have no idea what you're on about. So, in plain English, please tell me.....

.....am I any closer to being able to thrash one out in the woman's changing rooms at Banantyne's without anyone noticing?

maroonlegions

You realise that this was already in your original post? Its interesting stuff. can't see any of us getting hold of an invisibility cloak though.

Yes i do realise that was in my OP but was just clarifying that point in case someone jumped on the bandwagon of thinking i meant actual physical cloaking;Yes interesting stuff indeed ,as i pointed out in my OP a Harry Potter type invisibility cloak is a long way off but another small step for mankind is always welcomed;The places to go and the things one could see if one did every get hold of a stealth cloak laugh.gif, a whole new meaning to i wish i was a "fly on the wall" eh;laugh.gif

maroonlegions

maroonlegions, I'm a technophobe and have no idea what you're on about. So, in plain English, please tell me.....

.....am I any closer to being able to thrash one out in the woman's changing rooms at Banantyne's without anyone noticing?

laugh.gif

Well if i new the answer to that i would of course be charging the appropriate fees; Oh the fun in Banantyne's woman's changing rooms, the increase in perverts would also be a natural outcome;Sitting unnoticed in Vlads pad trying to make out WTF he is on about;laugh.gif

laugh.gif

Well if i new the answer to that i would of course be charging the appropriate fees; Oh the fun in Banantyne's woman's changing rooms, the increase in perverts would also be a natural outcome;Sitting unnoticed in Vlads pad trying to make out WTF he is on about;laugh.gif

Thanks, I'll take that as a No?

That's disappointing, I'll not be back on this thread. PM me when there's been a real development so I can continue my covert ham shanking :thumbsup:

Archived