Knife and Fork or Fork and Knife?

Templeton'sUnderpants

I P Knightley

I see the point that a fork is on the left and a knife the right but some things just are. It's not cheese and chalk or chips and fish, or pants shaton. All this shit has a rhyme and reason and weirdos shouldn't be allowed to **** with it.

You're wrong, there is no reason or rhyme to it and it really doesn't matter.

I have a friend who says "fish and chips"; "sausage & chips"; "pie and chips" and just about everything else 'normally'. However, she insists that it should be "chips and egg". No rhyme, no reason, it's just the way it is.

You're wrong, there is no reason or rhyme to it and it really doesn't matter.

I have a friend who says "fish and chips"; "sausage & chips"; "pie and chips" and just about everything else 'normally'. However, she insists that it should be "chips and egg". No rhyme, no reason, it's just the way it is.

Sounds fat as ****, your mate.

I'm a lefty and use my fork in my left hand and knife in my right.

I call it Knife 'n' Fork.

Snap. Although I'm probably 50/50 left hand / right hand, (write, hammer, saw with my left : play sport, use screwdriver, play guitar etc with my right).

And it's defo k 'n' f.

Snap. Although I'm probably 50/50 left hand / right hand, (write, hammer, saw with my left : play sport, use screwdriver, play guitar etc with my right).

And it's defo k 'n' f.

I'm probably 50/50 left hand/right hand too. Used to do everything with my left hand but when I broke my left wrist I had to use my right hand for everything which made it stronger. Couldn't write with my right hand though which poses some problems because my left is still pretty weak.

I've never heard anyone actually say fork and knife and wasn't aware anyone did until seeing this thread. If people want to be weirdos more power to them :lol:

• 8 years later...

Who really cares?! Bottom line is that you use them. I've always said "fork and knife." Also, there is the argument on how to hold your utensils when eating. After watching Downton Abbey, I was intrigued by the way they held their utensils. I tried holding my fork and knife the way they did and eating my food in that manner. Though a challenge, especially with peas and corn, I managed to get the knack of it without it falling off my fork. However, I'm more comfortable eating the American way, as that is how I grew up. I don't chew with an open mouth, am tidy and appreciative for what I am eating.🤤

5 hours ago, Sandra said:

Who really cares?! Bottom line is that you use them. I've always said "fork and knife." Also, there is the argument on how to hold your utensils when eating. After watching Downton Abbey, I was intrigued by the way they held their utensils. I tried holding my fork and knife the way they did and eating my food in that manner. Though a challenge, especially with peas and corn, I managed to get the knack of it without it falling off my fork. However, I'm more comfortable eating the American way, as that is how I grew up. I don't chew with an open mouth, am tidy and appreciative for what I am eating.🤤

Hi Sandra, could you click all the boxes with traffic lights please.

Screenshot_20200514-183838~2.png

Spellczech
On 23/01/2012 at 01:46, Templeton'sUnderpants said:

More and more I find myself being 'corrected' when I say Fork and Knife. Is there a correct way of saying this, if so why? Does it matter? Where do Spoons come into it?

This is something of vital importance - ALWAYS knife, fork, spoon. 

Cannot believe someone could be so uncouth as to put the fork before the knife. Wrong Wrong Wrong...

6 hours ago, Sandra said:

Welcome, Sandra.

Odd first post, however.

52 minutes ago, jonnothejambo said:

Knife and fork is the proper way for intelligent people like me. 

The other way is for thickos. 

Knife and fork is correct.

Knife, fork and spoon is correct.

"Fork and knife"/forkin knife.......sounds like you're swearing at a knife. Crack on with it if you want to sound like an angry basket case.

luckyBatistuta

Can’t believe this is back🤯 I’ve still to this day never heard anyone other than the folk on here say fork n knife. Does my head in watching people holding a fork, eating food  like a cowboy in an old western  eating beans with a spoon.

• Maple Leaf locked this topic