Knife and Fork or Fork and Knife?

Templeton'sUnderpants

Templeton'sUnderpants

More and more I find myself being 'corrected' when I say Fork and Knife. Is there a correct way of saying this, if so why? Does it matter? Where do Spoons come into it?

Knife & Fork.

I havent ever thought about it until now but I have never heard anyone say Fork & Knife. I have decided those that do are weirdos :thumbsup:

Knife & Fork.

I havent ever thought about it until now but I have never heard anyone say Fork & Knife. I have decided those that do are weirdos :thumbsup:

This.

I didn't know it was even up for debate. Only ever heard Knife and Fork.

Templeton'sUnderpants

Knife & Fork.

This.

I didn't know it was even up for debate. Only ever heard Knife and Fork.

Reasons?

Way I see it the fork goes on the left when eating and the knife on the right, we read from left to right therefore fork and knife.

southside1874

The knife is a utensil we have always used and we used it with our right hand. Cut the food with our right hand and eat with our left. Its the same as opening a door with our left hand so we have the weapon in our right hand.

What about left handed folk? Do they have the fork on the left?

No they don't

Reasons?

Way I see it the fork goes on the left when eating and the knife on the right, we read from left to right therefore fork and knife.

Knife and fork. The other way around just sounds weird. It's like saying pepper and salt or something.

What about left handed folk? Do they have the fork on the left?

No they don't

Why would my fork not be on the left hand side? I've never seen another lefty use a fork with their right hand either

I'm not a lefty but check this out........

I use my fork in my right and my knife in my left. I also wear my watch on my right wrist.

It's how jeniuses roll!

Oh, I say knife n' fork. :thumbsup:

The other way around sounds rude. :(

Hearts Heritage

"A knife a fork a bottle and a cork that's the way you spell 'New York'"

K and F for me

I P Knightley

"A knife a fork a bottle and a cork that's the way you spell 'New York'"

K and F for me

:mellow:

Is that supposed to make any sense at all?

I only use fork'n knife when in polite company and wishing to cause a "did he just say that?" moment. As in, "Your Majesty, would you like a ******* knife for your scotch egg?" Goes nicely with (at the end of the meal) "You f'coff, eh? (your Majesty)", giving her the opportunity to come back with "Ahf'cup.You can tickle my arse wi' a feather." Oh, the larks!

I use my fork in my right and my knife in my left. I also wear my watch on my right wrist.

It's how jeniuses roll!

I do this too. :thumbsup:

The People's Chimp

:mellow:

Is that supposed to make any sense at all?

I only use fork'n knife when in polite company and wishing to cause a "did he just say that?" moment. As in, "Your Majesty, would you like a ******* knife for your scotch egg?" Goes nicely with (at the end of the meal) "You f'coff, eh? (your Majesty)", giving her the opportunity to come back with "Ahf'cup.You can tickle my arse wi' a feather." Oh, the larks!

Hey Jim!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YG5Sy0R9jAc

Why would my fork not be on the left hand side? I've never seen another lefty use a fork with their right hand either

Every lefty I know has the fork on the right hand side and I include myself in that.

In polite company I say knife and Fork.

With the boys I would say something like,, 'where's the Forkin Knife', and make it sound something blue! rolleyes.gif

Fork in left hand and knife in right for me and I'm left handed. Although I'm more mixed tbh. Left handed for writing but a mixture for everything else.

It's how jeniuses roll!

The Mrs is the same, so much so she takes great pleasure when the table is set up for family gatherings she goes round swapping them about

Never say fork & knife, mainly because it encourages all sorts of inane responses "no need to swear ha ha" etc and repeat ad nauseum

The only time it's aceeptable.

"Pass me that forkin knife." Watch your Irish granny nearly explode.

It's how jeniuses roll!

:)

I see the point that a fork is on the left and a knife the right but some things just are. It's not cheese and chalk or chips and fish, or pants shaton. All this shit has a rhyme and reason and weirdos shouldn't be allowed to **** with it.

BoJack Horseman

The word fork now means nothing to me. I've read it so much it's now just a weird jumble of letters.

Knife & Fork.

The alternative is only used by the type of idiot who also says things like "bread on jam".

Edited by Ezio Auditore da Firenze

BoJack Horseman

Knife & Fork.

The alternative is only used by the type of idiot who also says things like "bread on jam".

Or roll on sausage.

Templeton'sUnderpants

Or roll on sausage.

I say fork and knife and think roll on sausage is the most ridiculous phrase ever.

Templeton'sUnderpants

ac8352f0d4539f32ce064af425fe72c4.png

Entirely proves my original point. People who think it is knife and fork and nothing else are really uptight about it and cannot give any reasons why.

People who say fork and knife and don;t really care about others saying knife and fork are just pretty chill and the laid back cool people in life.

Enjoy your OCD my man.

I say Knife and Fork and until this thread, I had never heard it the other way around, though if thats how someone wants to say it, then it doesnt bother me.

Doing a quick Google search, it appears it might be Knife and Fork rather than Fork and Knife, because the Knife was invented first. It could be completely wrong though!

Entirely proves my original point. People who think it is knife and fork and nothing else are really uptight about it and cannot give any reasons why.

People who say fork and knife and don;t really care about others saying knife and fork are just pretty chill and the laid back cool people in life.

Enjoy your OCD my man.

Deliberately saying something wrong all the time seems more OCD'ish tbh :lol:

I say Knife and Fork and until this thread, I had never heard it the other way around, though if thats how someone wants to say it, then it doesnt bother me.

Doing a quick Google search, it appears it might be Knife and Fork rather than Fork and Knife, because the Knife was invented first. It could be completely wrong though!

I imagine it's because it sounds more eloquent. Same as the reason we dont say onion and cheese crisps etc.

Templeton'sUnderpants

Deliberately saying something wrong all the time seems more OCD'ish tbh :lol:

•  
  • Deciding the order of words in a statement which have no effect on it's accuracy is important and something to be corrected.
  • Saying something a little bit different to others but still making perfect sense.

Which of those seems the actions of the more unhinged person?

I imagine it's because it sounds more eloquent. Same as the reason we dont say onion and cheese crisps etc.

Possibly that too. Though I reckon we say Cheese and Onion rather than Onion and Cheese because C comes before O.:lol:

• Deciding the order of words in a statement which have no effect on it's accuracy is important and something to be corrected.
  • Saying something a little bit different to others but still making perfect sense.

Which of those seems the actions of the more unhinged person?

2nd one :smuggy:

• Maple Leaf locked this topic