U19's game today

K1874M

Charlie-Brown

Hibs are the home team today , last weeks game was a riccarton - anyone know the venue & kick off time for todays game?

Hibs are the home team today , last weeks game was a riccarton - anyone know the venue & kick off time for todays game?

Borxburn, albion park 11 am.

Charlie-Brown

I probably would have gone to this game but I wanted to watch QoS v Dons semi final to see how our Jamie MacDonald has progressed.

Hopefully some of the U19 regulars will update us later on after the game.

jamboinglasgow
I probably would have gone to this game but I wanted to watch QoS v Dons semi final to see how our Jamie MacDonald has progressed.

Hopefully some of the U19 regulars will update us later on after the game.

sadly back at uni so cant go to the game, but hopefully it is a good game. I was at a party last night and got speaking to a celtic fan. We got talking about youth academies in Scotland and said about Hearts, told him the most promising player is Scott Robinson, and he went I know all about him. He was saying about one of his friends who is also a jambo goes to all the U19 games and raves about him (guy didn't know if his friend went on kickback.) But from the discussion we had, I think Scotland having four big academies should bring about a better quality of Scottish player. THough he was going on about Celtics new academy is going to be amazing due to them having gone to all the best youth academies around the world and incorpartating them into theirs. THough was glad to hear that Celtic dont encourage people to play for Ireland unless they are Irish (though I still remain sceptical.)

One of things he said was that we dont have anyone coming through, driver was the last. I told him that is nonsense, but it got me thinking, does each level of Hearts youngsters through the academy look better than the next?

Charlie-Brown
sadly back at uni so cant go to the game, but hopefully it is a good game. I was at a party last night and got speaking to a celtic fan. We got talking about youth academies in Scotland and said about Hearts, told him the most promising player is Scott Robinson, and he went I know all about him. He was saying about one of his friends who is also a jambo goes to all the U19 games and raves about him (guy didn't know if his friend went on kickback.) But from the discussion we had, I think Scotland having four big academies should bring about a better quality of Scottish player. THough he was going on about Celtics new academy is going to be amazing due to them having gone to all the best youth academies around the world and incorpartating them into theirs. THough was glad to hear that Celtic dont encourage people to play for Ireland unless they are Irish (though I still remain sceptical.)

One of things he said was that we dont have anyone coming through, driver was the last. I told him that is nonsense, but it got me thinking, does each level of Hearts youngsters through the academy look better than the next?

The Academy systems will help if clubs give youngsters a clear path from the youngest age group all the way through to the first team - sadly a lot of head coaches due to pressure to get results prefer to play with senior players as they offer more consistency of performances as well as naturally being better / more experienced.

I wonder how many kids at the Old Firm will actually get chances to progress or will they be blocked by more expensively brought in players. Many have to move elsewhere to get game time.

I think the hardest part of developing young players is when they graduate from the Academy into the first team squad - young players need careful development at this stage - they also need chances and patience even if a senior player might be a better (short term) option to get a result.

How Hearts or any of the other clubs next batch of youngsters develop will be determined by the opportunities and help / patience they are given when they get first team appearances.

jamboinglasgow
The Academy systems will help if clubs give youngsters a clear path from the youngest age group all the way through to the first team - sadly a lot of head coaches due to pressure to get results prefer to play with senior players as they offer more consistency of performances as well as naturally being better / more experienced.

I wonder how many kids at the Old Firm will actually get chances to progress or will they be blocked by more expensively brought in players. Many have to move elsewhere to get game time.

I think the hardest part of developing young players is when they graduate from the Academy into the first team squad - young players need careful development at this stage - they also need chances and patience even if a senior player might be a better (short term) option to get a result.

How Hearts or any of the other clubs next batch of youngsters develop will be determined by the opportunities and help / patience they are given when they get first team appearances.

I mentioned the issue of whats the point of having an amazing youth system if you just keep on buying players in rather than play youngsters. He claimed Celtic do play youngsters. However when you look at the team that played against motherwell:

Boruc, Hinkel (Hutchinson 87), Caldwell, McManus, Naylor, Nakamura, Scott Brown, Donati (Robson 69), McGeady, McDonald (Samaras 60), Vennegoor of Hesselink. Subs Not Used: Mark Brown, Wilson, Sno, Hartley.

out of a squad of 18 players, only two came through Celtics youth.

Think in terms of comparissons, the OF youth academies, will only bring through one or two players into their senior team (Rangers I think may have more if Walter is in charge) which should be quailty (Rangers have Fleck, Adam and Durie as big young players coming through. Not heard of any major celtic players.) But I think it will be Hearts and possibly Hibs will bring through more players of quality due to the abilty of being able to play them.

Charlie-Brown

Unless there is a major change in team-building policy then the Old Firm youth academies will in reality be feeder teams for other clubs in the SPL & SFL - very few kids (only the very very best) will get a look in at either Old Firm club even then it's probably not much better than 50% that they will be given enough game time to develop fully unless they are really exeptional.

jamboinglasgow
Unless there is a major change in team-building policy then the Old Firm youth academies will in reality be feeder teams for other clubs in the SPL & SFL - very few kids (only the very very best) will get a look in at either Old Firm club even then it's probably not much better than 50% that they will be given enough game time to develop fully unless they are really exeptional.

the silly thing is that Barca have proven that you canbuild a great team by raising a good youth side and raising these players into their team and then suplamenting them with one or two quality signings. The old firm could do well if they used that method.

Trained One

Just back from the game.

Finished 2-2. Good guttsy performance from the youngsters. Eddie Mearns levelled from the spot. We had most of the play in the 2nd half but squandered two great chances to put Hearts in front.

Hibs had a man sent of around the 90 minute mark....shocking challenge on Mearns.

Eddie Mearns seems to be having really good games lately. Think he has a chance to get involved int he first team at all?

Geoff Kilpatrick
Eddie Mearns seems to be having really good games lately. Think he has a chance to get involved int he first team at all?

Ha! By all accounts he's getting a "freebie"!

portobellojambo1

I heard from somebody at work, a young lad who goes to watch the u19's regularly and knows 2 or 3 of them personally, that Eddie Mearns will be released at the end of the season.

Maybe thats why he has been playing better lately then. I went to watch quite alot early on in the season and wasnt impressed by him.

Charlie-Brown
Just back from the game.

Finished 2-2. Good guttsy performance from the youngsters. Eddie Mearns levelled from the spot. We had most of the play in the 2nd half but squandered two great chances to put Hearts in front.

Hibs had a man sent of around the 90 minute mark....shocking challenge on Mearns.

What was the Hearts team line up?

Toxteth O'Grady
I heard from somebody at work, a young lad who goes to watch the u19's regularly and knows 2 or 3 of them personally, that Eddie Mearns will be released at the end of the season.

If that is true they are clueless

Ryan Gosling
If that is true they are clueless

Why? Eddie's committed and fierce and 'feisty' but he'll never make it at Hearts sadly.

Toxteth O'Grady
Why? Eddie's committed and fierce and 'feisty' but he'll never make it at Hearts sadly.

I think he could do a job but it doesn't look like he'll get the chance to prove it.

If this is part of a large clear out then I guess I'd have no complaints.

There are far too many players at the club in that age group so I guess some tough choices will have to be made.

I'd still keep Eddie though:)

chickalittle

Apparently the Hibs guy sent off today is the same one who was sent off last week when the "scuffle" broke out.

jamboinglasgow
Just back from the game.

what was the team though?

chickalittle
what was the team though?

Johnny Stewart, McGowan, Balatoni, Johnny Brown, Woods, Mearns, Thomson, Scott Robinson, Wallace, Mulrooney, Ridgers in goal

Charlie-Brown
Johnny Stewart, McGowan, Balatoni, Johnny Brown, Woods, Mearns, Thomson, Scott Robinson, Wallace, Mulrooney, Ridgers in goal

How was the game? how did our boys play? who played well etc.? :)

Goose Baxter

Stayed for about 70 min of the game today as i had to go off to work but i thought hearts done really well today. Think the side are lacking in the height department, an awfull lot of wee guys in the team. But it was a very even game that either team could have won. Hearts did have a few chances to put hibs out of the game toward's the end of the 1st half and the start of the 2nd.

Was pi$$ing myself laughing when towards the end of the 1st half a high ball come in for the keeper and Grolf shouted 'KEEPERS' at the top of his voice and then fell flat on his arse. Classic!!!!

Goose Baxter
How was the game? how did our boys play? who played well etc.? :)

Peach of a goal by the young boy who scored and i thought Mearns had a howler of a 1st half. Just seems to stand about looking for the ball. Improved in the 2nd half.

Was impressed with him in the reserve mid-week game but not today.

Anyone got an update on the young boy who went off injured in the 2nd half with the ice pack on the foot. Didnt look to good and seen the crutches brought out of the team mini-bus

Charlie-Brown
Stayed for about 70 min of the game today as i had to go off to work but i thought hearts done really well today. Think the side are lacking in the height department, an awfull lot of wee guys in the team. But it was a very even game that either team could have won. Hearts did have a few chances to put hibs out of the game toward's the end of the 1st half and the start of the 2nd.

Was pi$$ing myself laughing when towards the end of the 1st half a high ball come in for the keeper and Grolf shouted 'KEEPERS' at the top of his voice and then fell flat on his arse. Classic!!!!

Mearns, J.Stewart, R.Wallace, D.Thomson, Woods & Robinson are all wee but have good heart, some really good skills and aren't afraid to get stuck in. The last 3 i mentioned are still U17 players so maybe they can still grow a bit yet?

I reckon quite a few of those 6 players have a chance of making it - certainly they should all become players either at Hearts or elsewhere in the Scottish Leagues.

Charlie-Brown
Peach of a goal by the young boy who scored and i thought Mearns had a howler of a 1st half. Just seems to stand about looking for the ball. Improved in the 2nd half.

Was impressed with him in the reserve mid-week game but not today.

Anyone got an update on the young boy who went off injured in the 2nd half with the ice pack on the foot. Didnt look to good and seen the crutches brought out of the team mini-bus

What position was he playing? what did he look like?

Goose Baxter
What position was he playing? what did he look like?

Sure it was number 3. Wasnt too long after the 2nd half. Boy went of injured on the hibs side of the pitch

Goose Baxter
Mearns, J.Stewart, R.Wallace, D.Thomson, Woods & Robinson are all wee but have good heart, some really good skills and aren't afraid to get stuck in. The last 3 i mentioned are still U17 players so maybe they can still grow a bit yet?

I reckon quite a few of those 6 players have a chance of making it - certainly they should all become players either at Hearts or elsewhere in the Scottish Leagues.

Yeah i agree with what you mean. Just when you compaired them to the hibs team, who had a few big lads on the park. Hearts done very well but they are still small young men, and as you say some can play in the u17's

Personally i think McGowen is the only one realisticly (sp) who can get a chance with hearts. I can see this young buy going far in the game.

And j.Stewart is this the boy who played o'brian in his back pocket during the reserve game the other day. Was very impressed with him.

Charlie-Brown
Yeah i agree with what you mean. Just when you compaired them to the hibs team, who had a few big lads on the park. Hearts done very well but they are still small young men, and as you say some can play in the u17's

Personally i think McGowen is the only one realisticly (sp) who can get a chance with hearts. I can see this young buy going far in the game.

And j.Stewart is this the boy who played o'brian in his back pocket during the reserve game the other day. Was very impressed with him.

McGowan is the closest one to being ready but the others are at varying stages of development - I think you'll be surprised and a number of them will be given their chance over time - how well they do then is down to them but it's often the case for young players become better players by playing with older & more experienced players at first team level.

Just back from the game.

Do you know if jordan cropley (son of Alec Cropley) played for hibs. My son used to play up front with him in youth football.

Malcolm Tucker

I heard that Johnny Brown was the shizness?

And then I heard from someone that hes one of the young'uns getting released at the end of the season. Anyone confirm this? Or is it just p!sh?

Charlie-Brown

And then I heard from someone that hes one of the young'uns getting released at the end of the season. Anyone confirm this? Or is it just p!sh?

Brown was on the bench at Ibrox for the 1st team earlier in the season - I would doubt he'd be released but who knows - how do these rumours start?

Brown was pretty good, mearns awful first half then ran it in the second... (we really are clueless if we're getting shot of him, he may get booked every game but he looks the most composed I could go on the boy sticks out like a sore thumb in the side)

Husband done well when he came on in fact we were murder until he came on 20 mins in to the 2nd half.

Rigders had a mare today very very poor at crosses.

Darren Murray, not convinced by him at all.... might be a nice bloke blah blah but he doesnt convince me at all, dono what it is.

Mcgowan wasnt bad he made a couple of mistakes but also saved Ridgers blushes at times.

Malcolm Tucker
Brown was on the bench at Ibrox for the 1st team earlier in the season - I would doubt he'd be released but who knows - how do these rumours start?

Yeh I know I thought it sounded like baws as well. He said there was quite a few getting the chop so who knows.

With Hearts, I only believe stuff when I actually see it with my own eyes.

Wow I wish I was at that party, I really do :)

jamboinglasgow
Wow I wish I was at that party, I really do :)

by the time I started speaking to the celtic fan I was really tired, wanting to go home but had to wait for my flatmate who was completely ****ed and refusing to leave, even with her boyfriend trying to make go.

jamboinglasgow

I was at the game last week and was stunned when I saw Wallace jump as high as he did.

Still think Robinson looks really good and cant wait to see his goal on hearts world. I keep thinking he is 17 or 18 then remember the boys only turned 16. Has a bright future.

Trained One
Do you know if jordan cropley (son of Alec Cropley) played for hibs. My son used to play up front with him in youth football.

There was a player playing for Hibs called Jordan. Well I'm sure I heard at least one Hobo saying his name.

Trained One

Husband done well when he came on in fact we were murder until he came on 20 mins in to the 2nd half.

QUOTE]

Husband came on 35mins into the 1st half!

Jeremy Goss

only caught the 2nd half but we must be mad if we let wee Mearns go, best Hearts player by a mile.

Frail was watching but contributing nothing, only interested in nicking some young guys wine gums!

QUOTE]

Thats what I meant.... lol

N.O 14 I think... played well, big laddie for his age.

CornhillHearts

Kenny is saving his expertise for meeting Charlie Chan. Mind turn up on time now, no sleeping in, missing bus or going to wrong place.

portobellojambo1

QUOTE]

Thats what I meant.... lol

Easy to understand how you got confused Kenny, 35 minutes into the 1st half, 20 minutes into the 2nd, sort of easy mistake anyone can make. ;)

Archived