depression

chester copperpot

Signed off for a further 4 weeks and a different sleeping tablet as the temazepam done nothing. Lets see how this one works

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• rudi must stay

• JudyJudyJudy

• Morgan

• Captain Canada

Signed off for a further 4 weeks and a different sleeping tablet as the temazepam done nothing. Lets see how this one works

Hope you see some progress soon Bev.

There's no telling how long the tunnel is but just remember there is light at the end of it. :hug:

I think the anti depressants will start to kick in properly soon. I reckon the counselling and lack of help initially set me back a bit so will be interesting to see once I get the proper counselling. I'm also going to look into cbt as well.

Discussed cbt with a mate who's doing that just now and I think that would be a good help with the negativity and lack of self worth where the counselling will sort my other shit out

I know it'll be worth it in the end even if it doesn't feel that way yet

Guest Bilel Mohsni

I think the anti depressants will start to kick in properly soon. I reckon the counselling and lack of help initially set me back a bit so will be interesting to see once I get the proper counselling. I'm also going to look into cbt as well.

Discussed cbt with a mate who's doing that just now and I think that would be a good help with the negativity and lack of self worth where the counselling will sort my other shit out

CBT is a great shout.

One thing that I found really helpful was 'enjoying the moment' use some of your free time to have a wee look around. I was going through a really hard time a few weeks ago and followed this advice and it really helped ground me a little bit.

I just took a stroll round the galleries, museums and the Royal Mile etc. Walk really slowly and look all around you as you go, don't rush along staring at the ground or looking at your phone with your iPod on. Take some nice photos with your phone as you go, the castle, the mile, the gardens etc. Later when you feel down remember that nice happy relaxed feeling and look at the photos. My Facebook cover photo is one such memory of doing this.

Edited by Shaun William Ryder

Hope everyone in this thread manages to find what it takes to help them manage their depression.

In the past I have had 2 relationships with women who suffered from depression, the first refused any kind of treatment and basically thought that she didn't really have a problem. The second was seeing a doctor that simply wanted to medicate and offered no additional support.

I really do think that medication has it's place but only as part of a full treatment plan. The meds can allow you to function but they don't treat the root cause and as I have seen first hand the second the meds stop people suffering from depression can crash very very quickly. My ex that was taking meds, went to the docs one day and he decided to switch her medication. The only thing was that she had to stop what she had been taking then wait a week before taking the new meds that then took a further 2-3 weeks to take effect, that was a horrible, horrible 4 weeks for both of us!

Great thread, and even greater replies...

I've suffered with depression/anxiety on and off for a few years, had a few months of work about 3 years ago and ended up on Citalopram. I didn't feel the drugs were having much effect on me so I ended up ditching them and trying to carry on myself, trying to be strong willed and not let it beat me type approach. My best friend was killed in a motorbike accident last summer and that sparked it off again so I went back to the docs, and was given CBT through the surgery but with the waiting list that didnt happen until the beginning of this year. My mind-set is down to childhood issues so its been a lot of suppression of them really.

Started the course of 8 cbt meetings in January and at the very end of that month my ex-wife emigrated to USA with my 7yo daughter and my father died, all within 3 days. Took my wee girl down to see her Grandad on the Saturday for the last time (didn't realise then it WAS the last time), I said goodbye to her on Sunday, she flew off Monday and my dad passed away Tuesday night. Strange story there regarding fate, I was supposed to fly down to London early Tuesday morning but for the 1st and only time in my life i missed my flight and re-scheduled for Weds morning, then on Tuesday night I got the call from the old folks home that my dad was poorly so dashed down to Edinburgh to see him at the end. I should've been down south but for some reason I didn't get that plane...

I missed my next cbt session and picked up again a week later and without having those sessions, especially around that time, I don't know what kind of mess my head would be in now.

People will react and be helped by different things. For me, the drugs made no difference, but to sit and speak openly to someone who has no judgement about you whatsoever was what helped. It really was a simple as someone listening. I did most of the talking, and with some pointers and questions back from her, I realised what was wrong and why I was feeling that way.

I don't think I'll ever be fully over these things, as others have said, there are good periods and bad. As other do, I probably go out too much but going home to an empty flat isn't the greatest, and chatting to the regulars in the pub is my "outlet" I suppose. Been going to more games this season, and managed to see more gigs this year than before so the guys who say you've got to get out are spot on.

For me it's stimulation for the mind, having something to focus on, look forward to...that's what stops you sinking again.

CBT is vital imo.

The drugs can help and raise your mood to a level where you can apply strategies but CBT teaches you to control the thought process on an ongoing basis.

One of the best books I ever read on CBT and it was published quite a while back before CBT was even called CBT (I think) is STOP THINKING, START LIVING by Richard Karlson.

Cheesy title but it is a fantastic read. Simple, pratical and to the point and really helps you to challenge the river of negative thoughts in your head.

It's one of those books where you read it and it feels like the author has written it just for you.

I don't think I'll ever be fully over these things, as others have said, there are good periods and bad.

I think that is a key point Paul, I don't think a predilection for depression can be 'fixed' and aiming for a fix or a cure can itself be just as emotionally damaging when you don't get there. Aiming to effectively manage your depression is far more achievable and less prone to making people feel worse about themselves when they have a minor setback. By managing it rather than trying to cure it you are able to have bad days but it is easier the next day to say to yourself 'I'm allowed a bad day, it's ok'.

I think that is a key point Paul, I don't think a predilection for depression can be 'fixed' and aiming for a fix or a cure can itself be just as emotionally damaging when you don't get there. Aiming to effectively manage your depression is far more achievable and less prone to making people feel worse about themselves when they have a minor setback. By managing it rather than trying to cure it you are able to have bad days but it is easier the next day to say to yourself 'I'm allowed a bad day, it's ok'.

Great post.

Unfortunately it's not curable, but with the right help it can become manageable.

You gotta take the journey into self with cbt, takes a while but rome wasn't built and all that, turning around years of negative traits cant be sorted with pills imo.

After saying I thought things had improved, I've had a particularly bad few days. I've still not been to the doctors which I know is wrong but im under pressure with uni and work and have barely had a moment to myself over the past few weeks.

The latest episode has involved lying sobbing for what feels like hours on end, severe panic attacks including one at my exam which has made me even worse because I already took time out last year and just want to graduate in June and no motivation to do anything including going to work. I know I should be signed off from work because im in no mindframe at all to work but its a temp job which finishes just after Christmas and they already think im a freak for having a panic attack at work. On Friday night I lay awake all night before going to work at 6am with no sleep. At work i was being sick, sweat was dripping off me and then i proceeded to have a massive panic attack.

Self esteem has been extremely low recently too. I worry that he thinks other girls are more attractive and will leave me for someone prettier and who is a lot more fun, because lets face it im not exactly a barrel of laughs just now. I've had negative comments about my appearance too in the last year or so which I've never had any sort if problem with since the early days of high school. So for people, some which I've never met, to say hurtful things when im 23 and not expecting this sort of thing is doing nothing for how i am feeling.

I feel like im a burden on those around me just now. My mum has been worried sick about me, as has my dad and i keep worrying that my boyfriend can't cope with me like this, especially when i take a bad turn at his house.

If anyone has any advice about speaking to someone quickly about this then much appreciated. I was meant to go to self help at he beginning of the year but after being on the waiting list i never heard anything.

After saying I thought things had improved, I've had a particularly bad few days. I've still not been to the doctors which I know is wrong but im under pressure with uni and work and have barely had a moment to myself over the past few weeks.

The latest episode has involved lying sobbing for what feels like hours on end, severe panic attacks including one at my exam which has made me even worse because I already took time out last year and just want to graduate in June and no motivation to do anything including going to work. I know I should be signed off from work because im in no mindframe at all to work but its a temp job which finishes just after Christmas and they already think im a freak for having a panic attack at work. On Friday night I lay awake all night before going to work at 6am with no sleep. At work i was being sick, sweat was dripping off me and then i proceeded to have a massive panic attack.

Self esteem has been extremely low recently too. I worry that he thinks other girls are more attractive and will leave me for someone prettier and who is a lot more fun, because lets face it im not exactly a barrel of laughs just now. I've had negative comments about my appearance too in the last year or so which I've never had any sort if problem with since the early days of high school. So for people, some which I've never met, to say hurtful things when im 23 and not expecting this sort of thing is doing nothing for how i am feeling.

I feel like im a burden on those around me just now. My mum has been worried sick about me, as has my dad and i keep worrying that my boyfriend can't cope with me like this, especially when i take a bad turn at his house.

If anyone has any advice about speaking to someone quickly about this then much appreciated. I was meant to go to self help at he beginning of the year but after being on the waiting list i never heard anything.

Hi shapes.

The first thing you need to do is speak to your GP. It then opens up other paths.

Take care.

PS. Don't worry about the boyfriend thing. If he is the right person for you he will be there to support you through thick and thin and if anything it will bring you closer together. It brought me and my wife closer together and the same happened with my parents.

Edited by Budgie.

Alright Shapes, if you are that low and need to claim benefit as a result. Let me know and I can give you all the info you need to know on the process and that goes for anyone else who is reading.

It seems to be a lot more difficult to get help if you cant afford the cash, counselling on the nhs usually involves a waiting list which is very unfortunate ass when your low you dont want to have to wait, I pay ?25 quid a week for cbt pull shapes but i obviously dont know your budget, its poor that there has been some unsavoury comments towards you bringing back some child like feelings.

I wish you well.

i would try CBT but i certainly can't afford ?25 a week. shapes being a student would i think be on a fairly tight budget.

i am on a waiting list for bereavement counselling though, and i've mentioned CBT to my doc, so fingers crossed

i would try CBT but i certainly can't afford ?25 a week. shapes being a student would i think be on a fairly tight budget.

i am on a waiting list for bereavement counselling though, and i've mentioned CBT to my doc, so fingers crossed

Does your work offer any support Bev as part of their HR policy??

I work in HR and we have a company who does our counselling etc free of charge to employees, their friends & family for the first 6 sessions and can also do CBT etc.

I know some companies don't really promote this side of things - due to them having to pay a fee everytime they are used - but it might be worthwhile looking into?

If you need any info, just drop me a pm.

yeah i went through my company, but the counsellor was of the opinion she wasn't going to be able to help as the problems were too deep rooted to be discussed in only 6 sessions.

what i'm going to try is calling bupa to see if there is anything with them, as i do have health insurance through work.

i did just get a leaflet through the post from work a day or 2 ago with some info on it, so will be getting on to HR soon as well.

signed off til 11th of jan, so i have time to try and work something out. also the waiting list i'm on should be around 6-8 weeks according to my doc, and i've been on the list for over a month now, so should hopefully be hearing from them soon too.

thanks for the info though as i'm not overly sure what our HR dept offers outside of assist

Not a problem at all, if you need any HR info or if they try and give you a bit of a runaround, just drop me a pm and I can give you a steer.

All the best!

Edited by Floyd

I think I might have mentioned it earlier in the thread but I think the Eric Liddell Centre (or someone based there or closeby) do counselling free of charge. I think thats where Mrs Chester went and they were brilliant with her. I'm not sure if they do CBT though most counselling techniques (in my limited knowledge) will use elements of CBT. I cant recommend it enough.

Fingers crossed for everyone discussing this.:)

Juan Rom?n Riquelme

Don't even consider what your workmates or anyone that doesn't know you properly thinks of you. If they're judging you with no knowledge of you and the problems you're facing they're not worth any time in your thoughts.

Worry about your mum and dad is perfectly understandable.

Your BF will either stick around if he's a good guy and support you or won't if he's not.

You just have to focus on getting yourself to a better place as worrying about what anyone else just brings more pressure on yourself.

Don't even consider what your workmates or anyone that doesn't know you properly thinks of you. If they're judging you with no knowledge of you and the problems you're facing they're not worth any time in your thoughts.

Worry about your mum and dad is perfectly understandable.

Your BF will either stick around if he's a good guy and support you or won't if he's not.

You just have to focus on getting yourself to a better place as worrying about what anyone else just brings more pressure on yourself.

Couldn't agree more with this post.

Thanks for the replies.

Was meant to be in work at 7 this morning but as I got ready the tears started and then came the panic attack.

My mum and dad can't cope with it. Started shouting at me which made me worse. They've calmed down now but I just needed a hug and support, not to be shouted at whilst in the middle of a severe panic attack. I know it is difficult for them too though.

Have phoned the doctors and managed to get an appointment for this morning.

Went to the doctors but they were running late and I tried to speak about what was going on but I just got cut off and given a line for work and diazepam for my panic attacks and told to come back in a week. Phoned work and they weren't the best, pushing for personal information etc and asking me if this was my resignation, so I said yes. Only had just over a week left anyway.

It seems to be a lot more difficult to get help if you cant afford the cash, counselling on the nhs usually involves a waiting list which is very unfortunate ass when your low you dont want to have to wait, I pay ?25 quid a week for cbt pull shapes but i obviously dont know your budget, its poor that there has been some unsavoury comments towards you bringing back some child like feelings.

I wish you well.

It's actually been one of the most difficult things to cope with. It's not something that I've had experience of for a long time and not something I expected to encounter but to be talked about by people that have never met me, being called a munter etc is pretty difficult to deal with on top of everything else that's going on. The sad part is, quite a lot of the comments I'm being told are actually coming from someone who suffers from depression themselves and has actually talked about it and actually used to give me advice about things but has now jumped on the bandwagon and is making unsavoury comments which is pretty hurtful. I would never make comments like that about these people who I don't know so I don't expect them to be made towards me. Sometimes people should think about what they are writing on social media. Instead of trying to popularise themselves with people they've only met once or twice then should think about how it might affect the person they are writing about, especially if they know this person has underlying issues and if they also have issues themselves.

Very unfair comment IMO. Don't think it's fair to judge whether someone's a good guy (or girl for that matter) based on that.

Speaking from experience, some folk can only do so much and that doesn't mean that they're horrible people.

Generic Username

That's a valid point Ross.

There may come a time when PS and her boyfriend realise that perhaps he's just not well enough equipped to help with such serious issues, that wouldn't make him a bad boyfriend. He sounds like a stand up gent right now and is doing what he can but I think people should be careful with suggesting if he isn't on the scene anymore it makes him "a shit".

It could be that PS decides to be the one who ends it (these are all hypotheticals by the way) but I'd be wary of adding any further pressure on a young couple who're already dealing with this. The additional pressure of worrying about what other people expect of your relationship shouldn't be a factor.

Guest Bilel Mohsni

It's actually been one of the most difficult things to cope with. It's not something that I've had experience of for a long time and not something I expected to encounter but to be talked about by people that have never met me, being called a munter etc is pretty difficult to deal with on top of everything else that's going on. The sad part is, quite a lot of the comments I'm being told are actually coming from someone who suffers from depression themselves and has actually talked about it and actually used to give me advice about things but has now jumped on the bandwagon and is making unsavoury comments which is pretty hurtful. I would never make comments like that about these people who I don't know so I don't expect them to be made towards me. Sometimes people should think about what they are writing on social media. Instead of trying to popularise themselves with people they've only met once or twice then should think about how it might affect the person they are writing about, especially if they know this person has underlying issues and if they also have issues themselves.

First step should be to remove and block these people from your social media. What's stopping you from doing that?

Obviously I mean the guys that you don't really know anyway.

Edited by Shaun William Ryder

Very unfair comment IMO. Don't think it's fair to judge whether someone's a good guy (or girl for that matter) based on that.

Speaking from experience, some folk can only do so much and that doesn't mean that they're horrible people.

I agree completely Ross. Just because somebody can't help or deal with it it certainly doesn't make them a bad person. I know I'd find it difficult if the shoe was on the other foot but as long as an effort is made to support the person suffering then that's all that counts. If they can't cope with it I don't think it's their fault. Luckily I seem to have a good un who I'm going to have to get an extra Christmas present for for putting up with me.

First step should be to remove and block these people from your social media. What's stopping you from doing that?

Obviously I mean the guys that you don't really know anyway.

Yeah I don't use it myself but keep being told about things that are being said. It's not a frequent thing anymore, just the odd comment here and there but it can sometimes be enough to trigger feelings of extreme anxiety. Going away for the evening tonight to see the view so I'm hoping that will help take my mind off things for a bit. Although, it is in Dundee...

Thanks for the advice and to the folk who haven't wrote on here but have PMd me instead, it means a lot.

Get him to change his username and post a victory video.

Then he can get a Christmas present.

We're going up to Dundee for the view tonight and I'm sure he'll be having a few drinks so I'll try my best :)

Guest Bilel Mohsni

Yeah I don't use it myself but keep being told about things that are being said. It's not a frequent thing anymore, just the odd comment here and there but it can sometimes be enough to trigger feelings of extreme anxiety. Going away for the evening tonight to see the view so I'm hoping that will help take my mind off things for a bit. Although, it is in Dundee...

Thanks for the advice and to the folk who haven't wrote on here but have PMd me instead, it means a lot.

No worries. Hope it gets easier. It used to be easier before Facebook and Twitter, if folk were cocks, you could just stop being around them.

People usually say derogatory things to make themselves feel better, it's unfortunate but going by why you said ps its sounds like that to me, going back to anxiety or "child like state" isn't good at all, can't say I'm a fan of the doctors way of thinking "I'm too busy, here is some pills" I prefer a deeper approach.

Sterling Archer

I think you need to explain to the people telling you this that they should stop. It's clearly not beneficial.

Sergio Garcia

PS I have had to block one or two acquaintances for comments on Facebook, another friend because I was convinced she was coming to the same boozer or restaurant as me and my friends when we have discussed our plans on there (Just been told she is doing that tonight) and then talking about stuff that used to send me on a downward spiral, which in turn ended up with me drinking more and ending up in her company. I just unfriended them, blocked their numbers, ignored them when out (which others can think is rude all they like but I don't care) and moved on, they can still make these comments but more often than not I do not see them. Sometimes my friends will comment on them (or tell me about them) which makes me see them but I try to avoid these comments as much as possible.

As my friend said got to remember social media/email tones are hard to tell although at times they can annoy the hell out of me.

The important thing is to keep a close knit of friends and family around and try and ignore the rest, if they can't deal with the fact you are suffering from depression then as has been said above although it may not be their fault then you need to stop seeing them socially. As I said way back in the thread I have close friends who suffer from depression so we are lucky in a way that we can help each other through it with no stigma attached to it when we chat about it, also my mum is a nurse so she understands it more than most parents, my Dad sometimes treats it like most older generation "Get on with it attitude" not his fault as he doesnt understand it, he tries but he just doesnt get it.

Would it help if your parents went with you to your GP? Maybe they can discuss with him or her how they can help, its important to remember they might not know what to do and think they are helping with "tough love" or the like.

As has been said on this thread, there is no one size fits all formula, some people have their own ways of coping, you just need to find yours and hopefully it can work. Chin up and remember there are plenty of people on here you can talk to. Drop me a pm if needed.

The People's Chimp

We're going up to Dundee for the view tonight and I'm sure he'll be having a few drinks so I'll try my best :)

Apparently Abbey Clancy manages the support act so she'll be there. At least you know his eyes will only be on Falconer so that's one less thing to worry about.

Apparently Abbey Clancy manages the support act so she'll be there.

That's the only thing that would get me to a The View gig. :P

Gregory House M.D.

Apparently Abbey Clancy manages the support act so she'll be there. At least you know his eyes will only be on Falconer so that's one less thing to worry about.

580758_491496347542009_334670581_n.jpg

:wub:

Captain Canada

Where I am there's a six month waiting list for 1-1 CBT sessions so I'm going to do a group course in the new year which will hopefully help.

• 2 weeks later...
PaulHartley10

I've always been certain that I have a mild form of depression or an anxiety problem, although I'm not sure which.

I just wish I had the balls to do something about it. I couldn't goto a doctor about it, what am I supposed to say? 'hi there, I think I may have depression'? How many times must they hear that? Then It's nothing but judgement after that...

I couldn't tell a family member either. I just wish there was a way to deal with it over the counter with no judgement and people thinking your at it.

I've always been certain that I have a mild form of depression or an anxiety problem, although I'm not sure which.

I just wish I had the balls to do something about it. I couldn't goto a doctor about it, what am I supposed to say? 'hi there, I think I may have depression'? How many times must they hear that? Then It's nothing but judgement after that...

I couldn't tell a family member either. I just wish there was a way to deal with it over the counter with no judgement and people thinking your at it.

Not being funny mate, but your GP will have heard lots worse and they are trained to be non judgemental, and anyways unless you socialise with them or drink in the same boozer as them, what's the chances of them remembering you the next time they see you without reading your notes??

It will be the hardest and yet best thing you do, pick up the phone tomorrow, make the call and get an appointment.

At least this way you will put your anxieties to rest.

Good Luck! :thumbsup:

Cairneyhill Jambo

Mate, 99% of people don't want to go to their doctors because they "don't want to bother them", whether they have the cold, an unfamiliar lump, or because they think they may be suffering from depression or some other illness. A lot of people who have mental health problems don't believe they have an illness. "Its not an illness because there's nothing physically wrong with me" type attitude. Don't be frightened to go to your doctors. Just explain how you feel. Doctors are a lot more tuned in to mental health than they used to be.

PaulHartley10

Mate, 99% of people don't want to go to their doctors because they "don't want to bother them", whether they have the cold, an unfamiliar lump, or because they think they may be suffering from depression or some other illness. A lot of people who have mental health problems don't believe they have an illness. "Its not an illness because there's nothing physically wrong with me" type attitude. Don't be frightened to go to your doctors. Just explain how you feel. Doctors are a lot more tuned in to mental health than they used to be.

I'm only worried about when they ask why I think I have depression. I could sit here right now and list all sorts of stuff, but I'd feel like a ###### saying it infront of someone and I wouldn't come off well.

How are other people's experience of first meetings with the doctor?

Thanks for the reply, Floyd. Appreciated :)