depression

chester copperpot

On 06/10/2019 at 12:12, AlimOzturk said:

Having a pretty tough old time ATM. Never been one to let things get to me but this past couple of months have taken their toll. 

Unfortunately my Grandad has taken seriously ill and doesn't have long left. Been watching him deteriorate and watching the impact this is having on my family is getting to me. Been drinking alot of alcohol, started smoking again, eating shit and haven't done a bit of excercise. Have been snapping at my wife and kids as well 

Need to snap out of this. Never knew how much something like would affect me. 

Sorry to hear that , Have you any one you can lean on or talk to to let the rants out or drag you to the gym to help move you forward. The shit eating will be making it worse as your serotonin levels will be dropping with the bad diet. Hope you get through it. Took me two years and roughly 40kgs gain to get on top of it.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• rudi must stay

• JudyJudyJudy

• Morgan

• Captain Canada

13 hours ago, Mikey1874 said:

Another positive development in research. Again about doing something/ learning a skill.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.bbc.co.uk/news/amp/world-us-canada-50167812

Certainly doesn't work for humans. Got my HGV re-test later and really not wanting to go anymore as I know how I'll be and what my mind will be thinking when I fail again - I can't take the abuse I'll get from my colleagues if I don't pass and would rather just not be here than suffer that. 

Failure comes naturally to some, like me, so learning a new skill is more of a stress than relaxant. 

On 05/10/2019 at 17:31, Col1874 said:

This video just popped up on my YouTube 'suggested videos' and it's a cover of one of my favourite songs. 

One More Light by Linkin Park is pretty much about telling a suicidal person that you care, and the song has some powerful lyrics, but this cover by 'One Voice Children's Choir' takes it to another level, just watch the video and you'll see what I mean. 

Children's choir isn't the sort of thing I'd watch, but this is good.

My favourite song. That's a fantastic version, kids singing it takes up another level of emotions.

6 hours ago, Col1874 said:

Certainly doesn't work for humans. Got my HGV re-test later and really not wanting to go anymore as I know how I'll be and what my mind will be thinking when I fail again - I can't take the abuse I'll get from my colleagues if I don't pass and would rather just not be here than suffer that. 

Failure comes naturally to some, like me, so learning a new skill is more of a stress than relaxant. 

These rats didn't learn to drive their tiny cars in order to pass an exam though--it was for the "joy" of it. I'm terrible at work that involves using your hands, and yet I built an arcade machine a few years ago as an outlet to relieve anxiety and depression. It was about the journey and the learning and the fruits of your efforts, not about being naturally talented at it or passing some arbitrary test with sufficient marks, you know?

Sorry to hear about your struggles all the same--I hope a surprise is coming your way to blow through that pessimism!

Despite my worries mentioned on my previous post, I still went through the test. 

... I passed.

Another fail would have destroyed me. 

Konrad von Carstein
4 hours ago, Col1874 said:

Despite my worries mentioned on my previous post, I still went through the test. 

... I passed.

I read your previous post and was concerned by your fatalism regarding your test, I am so very happy that you posted this.

Well done!

been here before

... I passed.

👍 Well done man!

... I passed.

well done Col 👍

5 hours ago, Col1874 said:

... I passed.

Well done bud. The fear of failing and the anxiety it can bring is awful, been there. 

Hope you can relax and enjoy the weekend  now 👍

... I passed.

Fantastic, well done. :bravo: 

... I passed.

Nice one Col, well done mate. 👍

I was at a party on saturday, there was a younger than me lady there, I have known for 20+ years. I have seen her go from "wow", to 26st. When at her worst, remember, I am not a close friend, you could see the change in the vibrant, if for me, not likeable person you knew.

It was quite wonderful, she is back on track and seemingly  happy.

Point being, I was not in a good place, years ago when I knew her, only later when I saw her, good bank job, seemingly life, by this time,.I realised how true depression had taken its toll on her, it was quite heartbreaking, not just her physical appearance, but the whole aura of uselessness ?

I've been, as most, low at times, true depression, is abused as a sickness/malady, those using it as an excuse for whatever, are abusing those who really suffer the condition.

Depression is a chemical imbalance in the brain, circumstances can amplify this, but that imbalance, if its there, can be hard to recover from.

On 25/10/2019 at 16:07, Col1874 said:

... I passed.

👍

On 25/10/2019 at 16:07, Col1874 said:

... I passed.

Cracking stuff. A monkey well and truly off the back. Well done! 

Салатные палочки

Nice to see this thread is still going strong.  Anyone looking in but too worried to post can see that they are not alone with their problems.  This is a great thread for getting whatever is worrying you off your shoulders and there is a lot of great advice from people who have been through the same issues.  

7 minutes ago, Salad Fingers said:

Nice to see this thread is still going strong.  Anyone looking in but too worried to post can see that they are not alone with their problems.  This is a great thread for getting whatever is worrying you off your shoulders and there is a lot of great advice from people who have been through the same issues.  

Very well said.

I'm fortunate in that I have never suffered from depression, but I have been faced with supporting those around me who do suffer. This goes as far as supporting those closest to me who have attempted to take their own life.

I'm also fortunate to have an employer that trains staff in mental health awareness and offers training to ensure a number of mental health first aiders are spread across the workforce. Having undertaken this training, I'm probably at a level of understanding of this debilitating illness that allows me to provide as much support as possible. Unfortunately, it isn't always enough. 

I find this thread hugely comforting. To those that do suffer - you are not alone and help is available. For those that don't suffer - you have friends, family and colleagues that will appreciate your support and understanding. 

I know of two people in the recent past,who have taken their own lives, with a lot to live for. No money worries, good career, loving family. Yet, committed suicide, people who use depression,as a means to get sick pay off work, piss me off, royally.

33 minutes ago, Jambothump said:

I know of two people in the recent past,who have taken their own lives, with a lot to live for. No money worries, good career, loving family. Yet, committed suicide, people who use depression as a means to get sick pay off work, piss me off, royally.

You and me likewise.

I knew a few folk who did that, especially on a Friday and a Monday (oddly enough :rolleyes: ) and were soon right as rain again.

Feckin chancers and parasites.

52 minutes ago, Morgan said:

You and me likewise.

I knew a few folk who did that, especially on a Friday and a Monday (oddly enough :rolleyes: ) and were soon right as rain again.

Feckin chancers and parasites.

Same. Absolutely sickens me.

Салатные палочки
2 hours ago, Jambothump said:

I know of two people in the recent past,who have taken their own lives, with a lot to live for. No money worries, good career, loving family. Yet, committed suicide, people who use depression,as a means to get sick pay off work, piss me off, royally.

I have never encountered anyone who has done this.  It's pretty sick to say the least, especially given that those who are suffering are usually the ones who are making their work every day. 

5 hours ago, Salad Fingers said:

correct, I posted my problems fairly recently as I’m absolutely terrible at opening up, I had some really lovely, supportive messages from people. 

A couple of jobs ago, I had to get signed off with depression as I would come home wanting to seriously hurt myself and one time found myself break down in tears at work. Used the time to find a new job which I stuck for a while before leaving to find something better paid, from which I was dumped as I hadn't been able to handle it, which I believe led me back to this thread in the summer. Since then, I've found a new job completely different to before, upped the meds and in recent times have turned a new leaf entirely.

Things can look hopeless indeed but the dark times can pass

9 minutes ago, Salad Fingers said:

I have never encountered anyone who has done this.  It's pretty sick to say the least, especially given that those who are suffering are usually the ones who are making their work every day. 

I've seen a couple, one would spend a day in the pub, tanning half a bottle of Jack Daniels, alcohol is a freckin' depressant ! The other, horribly verbally bullied by her family, but she's not a nice person either, an attention seeker to compensate. Believe me, the second one had and has mental health problems, depression is not a major one of them.

I was prescribed Prozac, my girlfriend at the time, had went full term with her second child, born dead, and had been prescribed and taking that years before.

True depression, is a serious chemical imbalance, where meds are needed, and is much less common that we would think. There's the difference between needing a psychologist and a psychiatrist.

As pointed out before, changes to lifestyle, work, social activities, can help a lot of people, it did for me.

26 minutes ago, Irufushi said:

correct, I posted my problems fairly recently as I’m absolutely terrible at opening up, I had some really lovely, supportive messages from people. 

In dark times, I've had a few friends, who out of the blue, have picked up the phone for a blether. No particular reason, but their calls are an abiding memory for me.

If you know someone who is a bit "off", give them a call.

1 hour ago, Thommo414 said:

A couple of jobs ago, I had to get signed off with depression as I would come home wanting to seriously hurt myself and one time found myself break down in tears at work. Used the time to find a new job which I stuck for a while before leaving to find something better paid, from which I was dumped as I hadn't been able to handle it, which I believe led me back to this thread in the summer. Since then, I've found a new job completely different to before, upped the meds and in recent times have turned a new leaf entirely.

Things can look hopeless indeed but the dark times can pass

It's always darkest just before the dawn.  

Good to hear things are looking up for you, Thommo.

Morgan

I’m in the middle of a terrible time mentally. Silly argument with my wife and now we are divorced- all within 7 weeks. Don’t ask but it’s happened. Thing is she had a lot to do with my depression as she never supported me like I would expect a wife to do - always paid lip service. I was a very undemanding husband but as depression took over me I had no one to talk to really. 

However I’ve done a few things that have helped me both now and going forward. Got a dog - amazing help and encourages me to leave the house. Signed up for the Changing Room project at Hearts and I now do volunteer work.

Whilst I’m on medication and have many bad days currently I have felt a small improvement so there is always hope that a better life and general well-being is in reach. My issue is that I suffer from self loathing so I don’t want to be happy as I don’t deserve it etc

A vicious circle in all honesty 

5 hours ago, Morgan said:

It's always darkest just before the dawn.  

Good to hear things are looking up for you, Thommo.

Morgan

Thats exactly it! 

As I recall, last year, the first time I contributed to this thread, it was yourself who got in touch to show support. 

You're a good guy, Morgan! Thank you! 

1 minute ago, Thommo414 said:

Thats exactly it! 

As I recall, last year, the first time I contributed to this thread, it was yourself who got in touch to show support. 

You're a good guy, Morgan! Thank you! 

Absolutely no problem, Thommo.

Keep your chin up, my friend, take care.

Morgan

10 hours ago, PTBCAL said:

Got a dog - 

The wee fella on the left, was a life saver for me. Better for me, than any drugs that could be prescribed, but I know it was my circumstances and not true depression, where I was.

3 hours ago, Jambothump said:

The wee fella on the left, was a life saver for me. Better for me, than any drugs that could be prescribed, but I know it was my circumstances and not true depression, where I was.

so true - Pippa has been amazing for me and she has taken a real shine to me also 👍

And you meet so many lovely people whilst out walking with the dog 

Captain Canada

I always find this time of year much harder with the lack of daylight and bad weather. I'm trying to get out on my mountain bike when I can and walk during my lunch breaks to get some natural light and a change of scene. 

I've also been driving to work a bit earlier and doing some meditation in the car which helps me feel a bit calmer before a busy day ahead. 

I know this won't be everyone's cup of tea but there's a guy called Dr. Joe Dispenza who has a lot of interesting videos on YouTube about changing negative thought patterns which is where a lot of my own problems stem from. 

55 minutes ago, Captain Canada said:

I always find this time of year much harder with the lack of daylight and bad weather. I'm trying to get out on my mountain bike when I can and walk during my lunch breaks to get some natural light and a change of scene. 

I've also been driving to work a bit earlier and doing some meditation in the car which helps me feel a bit calmer before a busy day ahead. 

I know this won't be everyone's cup of tea but there's a guy called Dr. Joe Dispenza who has a lot of interesting videos on YouTube about changing negative thought patterns which is where a lot of my own problems stem from. 

Yep Autumn/ Winter really are horrid. Can feel myself beginning to feel crap due to lack of daylight... Excercise and being open really does help though.

If anyone needs a rant drop me a pm.

• 3 weeks later...
23 minutes ago, Captain Canada said:

Bumping this because I know how difficult this time of year can be for lots of people. 

Nice thought.  :thumbsup:

Christmas time can be so happy, yet so sad.

I actually have a page on Facebook called “ I am Determined”. Share a meme ask for help.

my idea for it, came around as so many who suffer from mental health, wont say anything to their family and friends, so I came up with the “ share a meme”  it’s too alert their friends list they are suffering.  

34 minutes ago, Zlatanable said:

I can't imagine anyone being that depressed whilst looking at your massive bouncing boobs. 

edit- massive bouncing boobs therapy

Alas, sadly they are not on my page. 

The Real Maroonblood

To all those with depression and mental health issues I wish you all the best.

Hopefully with treatment and therapy you all come through it and put it behind you.

Good luck and take care.

12 minutes ago, LeftBack said:

Struggling today folks. Side effects of drugs kicked in. Very dark thoughts. Ill get there though. Just thought id reach out 

Shit, G, sorry to hear that, mate 

Please, please take care and for Christ's sake, don't do anything daft.

Keep us/me informed.

PM if you like?

Edited by Morgan

11 hours ago, The Real Maroonblood said:

To all those with depression and mental health issues I wish you all the best.

Hopefully with treatment and therapy you all come through it and put it behind you.

Good luck and take care.

Seconded.  

30 minutes ago, LeftBack said:

Struggling today folks. Side effects of drugs kicked in. Very dark thoughts. Ill get there though. Just thought id reach out 

On the same stuff as yourself (150 mg). I can't say I have dark thoughts all too often unfortunately so I may not be much help but just keep going, you will come out the other side much better! 

Just now, Morgan said:

Shit, G, sorry to hear that, mate 

Please, please take care and for Christ's sake, don't do anything daft.

Keep us/me informed.

PM if you like?

Thanks mate. Im getting there. Its not nice. I know its maybe not the best idea but am getting half season ticket. Miss going to tynecastle no matter how bad we are. Its somewhere i feel settled. Mon the jts

Been a while since I was in the shed.

I am now the well-being champion for my work, and founded the well-being and mental health committee. Secured an annual budget for our group too.

Got my health anxiety under control, and my depression is virtually non-existent. Still have the odd bout if I have too much too drink. Usually the day after or that night. Think I’m about to have a heart attack. Weird to explain if people don’t already know what your talking about.

Doing the mental health first aid course soon. I’ll post my thoughts.

❤️

6 hours ago, Icon of Symmetry said:

I am now the well-being champion for my work, and founded the well-being and mental health committee. Secured an annual budget for our group too.

Got my health anxiety under control, and my depression is virtually non-existent. Still have the odd bout if I have too much too drink. Usually the day after or that night. Think I’m about to have a heart attack. Weird to explain if people don’t already know what your talking about.

❤️

That’s awesome stuff. Good luck. 

12 hours ago, Icon of Symmetry said:

❤️

Good on you, Mothy.  

Be interesting to read your thoughts in due course.

AlphonseCapone
22 hours ago, Icon of Symmetry said:

❤️

Good stuff mate. Massive issue for me too, rare to find others that understand it.