depression

chester copperpot

CavySlaveJambo

If you can speak to people in person can you do it online?

There are a few self-help sites out there.

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• rudi must stay

• JudyJudyJudy

• Morgan

• Captain Canada

Gorgiewave

Vallance, you obviously can express yourself on kickback, you just have. Speaking to a GP would be a good thing, but they might not have a lobg time to chat. You could try speaking to a minister or priest. I'm not a Christian, but I've found that pastors I've known (at Charlotte Baptist Chapel) to be very sympathetic and happy to listen. I've had loads of depression over the years and I've spoken to friends, family and even PMd folk on KB, and everybody's listened, many of them have had similar experiences.

Gorgiewave

I know it's not a panacea, but I would say to anybody on here that going for a long walk has always done me a lot of good. Suddenly things seem brighter after half an hour.

Guest GhostHunter

I am struggling right now to get out my bed before 2pm. I have had chances to sort my life out but seem to feck everything i do up! Don't want to go to a doctor as i am shite at expressing myself. I thought about suicide but it would devastate my family obviously. Really have noone to talk to, any advice would help!

It seems silly, but read this thread from Page 1.

The info in here, has helped me immensely over the last year or so - plus, I'm pretty sure that most of us who have posted on this thread, would gladly chat to you via PM on here.

The hardest step is recognising you need to speak to someone, the biggest step is going to speak to someone, but the easiest step is talking when you're there.

Check this website out just now though..

http://www.moodjuice.scot.nhs.uk/

Chin up mate - there's people here and out there that can help you ...

Gorgiewave

I imagine this is only a small aspect, if at all, but I work at home most of the time and I can get up and go to bed when I like. I normally go to bed late (2-3 am) and get up late (9-10 am). But lately I've been getting up at 7 and going to bed at about 12.00. I'm waking up less and definitely do more. It might be worth trying for anybody who gets up late.

• 2 weeks later...
Sergio Garcia

Been a good few months where I was feeling great and fine and then tonight it all hit me in a bad way.

All of a sudden felt like an outsider, worthless and wanting to get to bed and curl up and disappear. Usually I can tell what triggers these episodes but tonight it worrying me because I cant sense the trigger.

Part of me is happy because I have alerted others to how I am feeling but at the same time I feel weak and attention seeking by doing it. One positive is the amount of support I received straight away but as I said part of me is annoyed at myself for this.

Sorry for the randomness but its where I am at tonight.

Ok... I have suffered from this horrible ilness for the last couple of years... it is trully a difficult thing to talk about, but it does help to know you're not alone.

My experience is a series of highs and lows - the highs are infrequent and the lows when they come are devasting :(

I think/hope that things will improve long-term. Just seems difficult to believe at this time!!

Great thread btw... thanks to the OP!!

Guest GhostHunter

Been a good few months where I was feeling great and fine and then tonight it all hit me in a bad way.

All of a sudden felt like an outsider, worthless and wanting to get to bed and curl up and disappear. Usually I can tell what triggers these episodes but tonight it worrying me because I cant sense the trigger.

Part of me is happy because I have alerted others to how I am feeling but at the same time I feel weak and attention seeking by doing it. One positive is the amount of support I received straight away but as I said part of me is annoyed at myself for this.

Sorry for the randomness but its where I am at tonight.

How you doing today Sergio ?

When I get down, and it comes too quickly to prepare, I immediately plonk shoes on, and go for a walk, however recently, I'm using the 190512 video as a kind of therapy - you can't help but still feel the energy we generated that day, and whilst it doesn't "solve" the problem, it certainly removes you from the situation for a couple of hours...

Gorgiewave

I'd echo what Dexter and Zico have said: walking does wonders for me. I think it's both getting the blood flowing and getting away from computers, phones, work, traffic, etc., that calms me down.

Sergio Garcia

How you doing today Sergio ?

When I get down, and it comes too quickly to prepare, I immediately plonk shoes on, and go for a walk, however recently, I'm using the 190512 video as a kind of therapy - you can't help but still feel the energy we generated that day, and whilst it doesn't "solve" the problem, it certainly removes you from the situation for a couple of hours...

Luckily for me this episode passed as quickly as it arrived, went for a long run on Tuesday morning to help clear my head and get the blood flowing which helped a lot. The most alarming thing for me this time was I never saw it coming, just hit me out of the blue which worries me a bit.

Cheers for the advice guys.

Christian Benteke

I got it really bad when my wee man was born, 18 and having to get a full time job with mother and son to depend on me I'm not afraid to admit I crumbled.

Still have the odd moment here and there where I think the whole world is against me and what's the point carrying on but I've learned to just shrug my shoulders and get on with it these days.

• 2 months later...
Juan Rom?n Riquelme

Hi guys. Just wanted to share about my story and thoughts on depression, mainly to get it off my own chest. I've posted a bit in here before but I've never went into any great detail and I feel this is the only outlet where I can comfortably express myself at the moment.

I was first diagnosed with depression on my 19th birthday in March 2010 (although I feel I may have suffered from it before this time). This was after I'd basically been going to work and coming in and going straight to bed for a couple of weeks and my mum had contacted the GP and insisted I go because she was worried about me. Was in the Doctor's for about 5 minutes and he asked me a few of the standard questions and prescribed me fluoxetine. I left feeling confused and ashamed about being on anti-depressants as I'm sure a lot of young men would and only ended up taking them for about a month and never went back to the Doctor because I felt he really couldn't care less. Probably not the case but I was younger and dafter at the time.

That summer was one of the worst periods of my life as I spent most of my time in my bedroom with the curtains drawn, staying up all night and sleeping during the day. Ending up missing work several times as it was a shit job and I just couldn't drag myself there some mornings. I contemplated suicide a number of times during this period but the fear of doing it and the guilt and shame I felt when I thought about what it would do to my family stopped me.

In September 2010 I left my job and moved to Uni in Stirling. Freshers week in halls was basically a disaster as I had the flu and was depressed so spent the whole week in my bed and didn't meet anyone from my floor. This kind of set the tone for my whole time in halls unfortunately as I really wasn't up to living with a bunch of other people I didn't know. I'm a quiet guy most of the time but the depression made it massively worse and I spent most of that year trying to avoid the folk I stayed with and feeling like a bit of a nutter. Made friends with a couple of the guys who I still speak to after they made a point of getting to know me which was good of them as I'm sure it wasn't easy.

The actual academic side of things in 1st was so easy that even though I was putting about 5% effort in I still passed everything fine but I hated being there and it was a massive relief when I moved back home in the summer of 2011.

I've been commuting to Uni since then and as the work has got more difficult I've struggled to find the motivation to do it but still got reasonable grades and passed everything.

At the beginning of 2012 I ended up having another nightmare period again where I went from feeling depressed to genuinely feeling like I was on the verge of taking my own life. It was my family again that made me go to the Docs. Unfortunately it was the same GP again. He didn't remember me from our previous meeting and asked me the same questions and gave me the same tablets again, which I took for about a month and a half before chucking them in the bin (again, stupid on my part).

That year went by so fast that I genuinely don't remember most of it, with the only highlight being May 19th which was the happiest and most carefree day I'd had for years (amazing what football can do).

Into my 3rd year at Uni now and I'd been feeling steadily more unwell until one day this April. I had been missing Uni, had a load of work racked up that I was never going to get handed in and things personally were just generally awful. I got home the Friday before this Scottish Cup semi finals and just burst into tears - strange for me as I never cry. My sister heard this and must have told my mum and dad as they phoned the Doctor's once again and made me go down there.

I saw a new GP which was helpful as she took a lot more time to listen to me and I was diagnosed with depression and anxiety. She also recommended I take a leave of absence from Uni until after the summer which I have done. Not sure If I'll go back now though. I got put on fluoxetine for a while until the Doc decided they were the wrong medicine and I'm now on Venlafaxine which is pretty strong stuff but doesn't seem to have done much so far, apart from give me a lot of pretty bad side effects.

I now regularly have to go and speak to a Community Psychiatric Nurse as well as a Psychiatric Doctor. Both are very nice and I can tell they're doing their utmost to help me feel better but nothing they've really came up with has been much use so far. The nurse is convinced that I should try meditating and relaxation tapes and that sort of thing, which is the last thing which I can see helping. The Doctor just seems to ask a lot of questions and takes notes and then tells me to do whatever the nurse tells me.

I've been doing all the standard stuff you get told to do when trying to overcome depression. Been walking, running, etc. Been watching what I eat and trying to get a good sleep pattern going. Also made more of an attempt to be sociable and even ended up taking a bird from my work out a couple of weeks ago which seems mad to me with the way I am just now.

I think the worst thing about depression has been the feelings of aloneness and isolation that comes with it. Sometimes I feel like I'm so far removed from everything and everybody, even when I'm in a room full of people I've know for years. It really eats away at me. I've always been quiet and an introvert but until my late teens always had fun with other people and could relate but now I feel as though I watch the world from behind a one way mirror.

The other feelings have mostly consisted of shame and anger. Shame that I've considered suicide and still do when I know it would destroy people's lives and also anger that those same people have watched me struggling away for years but only waited till I've been as low as possible before trying to step in and help me.

There has also been the stigma of having a mental illness. I've not told any of my friends and its only my immediate family. I feel this is one of the worst aspects for men and is a reason why suicide rates among men are so high. It angers me quite a bit at the lack of attention drawn to this as I'm sure if women were dying from suicide at such a disproportionate rate there'd be an outcry but I won't hold my breath for any campaigns geared towards men taking their own lives.

I know I've got a long battle ahead of me and I feel as though this is an illness which will follow me around for my whole life. I'm terrified at the prospect of my family/friends/girlfriend being trapped in my cage of depression with me as I know how it can drag people down. I'm doing my utmost to over come it and get better but every single day I wake up and feel as though I'm swimming against the tide.

I know this post is long winded and self indulgent so thanks If you're still reading. Just needed to get this off my chest.

Edited by Captain Haddock

Stuart Lyon

CH - I hope that you manage your situation if you can't overcome it completely. Don't look back and take every bit of help you can get from friends and family. Don't despair.

CH - you got a friend in me. And us. JKB has been a fantastic bit of support for many people.

Keep strong young padowan.

CH - what can anyone say other than wow! You'll probably think I'm being a patronising **** here but you've accomplished quite a lot. You've confronted your problem and you're regularly making use of the help provided. Not only that but you've held down a job and studied at Uni. And you've made an effort to do the things that are advised so as to help your situation.

Well done mate. Really.

A lot of people never confront these issue and end up with all sorts of problems. Although you've not felt a massive change, your undoubtedly on the road to good things. It might seem like a long road but your on it mate.

Focus on the positives and become as sociable as you can. I'm not minimising how you feel here but I know a number of people who feel awkward and uneasy in company. It's normal to feel like this sometimes unless your a big brash in people's face type.

Of course, you've got to confront your issues about guilt and shame but mate, you've got nothing to feel shame for. Your illness isn't your fault. Be proud of yourself for what you've accomplished and keep fighting.

Coming on here and offloading more regularly might help too. It's a brave thing to do and if it helps then do it.

Take card mate.

I'd say to Captain Haddock that I've had depression for years, not always diagnosed, but the one thing I've never had is anybody laugh at me or think I'm less of a "man". I lived with an Australian guy in Edinburgh who was a real hardman because of his background but it turned out he was depressed and we talked about it. Unfortunately, bored and hurried doctors are the only people who have not symapthetically heard me out. If a doctor does that, you have to ask for a new one. If you don't feel up to that because it seems embarrassing, ask somebody else to do that. People should always feel at ease to mention this topic: people always listen. This thread is a troll-free zone, which is a minor miracle on KB.

Though on, I hope, a lighter note, 19 May 2012 was the least carefree of days until 16.05. I woke up early and hyper, like the day of a final exam.

Sergio Garcia

CH - I, like you, felt getting it off my chest on here helped. Its good that your family know and you are in constant dialogue with medical professionals as they can spot things and help you either get help or get through it, anytime I have feel myself slipping back I know it wont be as hard as the first time when I told people as they are already aware of it and are more equipped with dealing with it.

Around a month or so a go I had a bad episode completely out the blue and decided to talk about it on twitter, it helped immensely as people listened and gave me advice. Its cliched but it really is good to talk,talking to anyone, be it a complete stranger or your best friend, helps I find. It shares the load a little and as you say allows you to get things off your chest.

If you need to chat to someone, feel free to PM me on here.

Alwaysinourshadows

Don't know if it's classed as depression but I'd say maybe once every month or two I feel extremely low and feel emotional for no reason,I only feel like it for maybe 2 or 3 days though. I think about suicide but doubt I'd ever do it. Then the next day I'll wake up and feel fine.

I'm struggling big time at the minute. I don't know if it's depression or not as i don't think i've had it before.

I am working full time and studying for a degree which i am struggling big time to manage. The pressures of work aren't allowing me to get my best work done for uni.

I came back from what i though was a fantastic holiday with my girlfriend last week. Last night i found out she has been cheating on me.

On top of all this i am 7 weeks into quitting smoking and i'm doing well so far but it's just something else thats getting on top of me.

I'm struggling big time at the minute. I don't know if it's depression or not as i don't think i've had it before.

I am working full time and studying for a degree which i am struggling big time to manage. The pressures of work aren't allowing me to get my best work done for uni.

I came back from what i though was a fantastic holiday with my girlfriend last week. Last night i found out she has been cheating on me.

On top of all this i am 7 weeks into quitting smoking and i'm doing well so far but it's just something else thats getting on top of me.

Concentrate on the first thing you mentioned. And ask your doctor's advice about whether you are running yourself down physically. The other stuff, will come from your initial consultation.

Captain Canada

I've suffered from depression on and off for years. It's so hard to tell friends and family how you're feeling.

I got to the point recently where I felt I had to tell two of my mates because my behaviour had been more erratic. They couldn't believe what I told them and were really supportive and understanding.

It doesn't really matter if you tell your friends or a total stranger, just getting it out there is the most important thing.

Captain Canada

Also, a psychotherapist told me one time that depression stems from depletion. In other words not taking time to do things you enjoy and letting things like work and studying take over is a big risk factor.

I spent five years building my own business and doing very little else and it turned me into a different person.

Juan Rom?n Riquelme

Don't know if it's classed as depression but I'd say maybe once every month or two I feel extremely low and feel emotional for no reason,I only feel like it for maybe 2 or 3 days though. I think about suicide but doubt I'd ever do it. Then the next day I'll wake up and feel fine.

If you're feeling suicidal you'd be best to make an appointment with your GP and speak to them about it. Don't just try and ignore it.

Sounds like all of that stuff getting on top of you could seriously risk making you depressed.

Have you been doing things you enjoy/Getting pleasure from things?

I'm so pleased this thread is still knocking about and being helpful to people. To realise other understand and have gone through the same, or similar was of great value to me. Haddock, you need to be proud you found the strength to open up here

You'll get a lot of help and comfort and if you ever need a chat, in fact any of the posters here want to chat, just pm me

You are never alone truly, even though you feel that you are. There are more of us who have fought this thing than I think a lot of people realise. Good luck to everyone and listen to the encouragement and wise words from others

They may just strike a chord that helps

Saul Goodman

Great thread, glad people can take matters off there minds and read what others are going thru and help them the same way they were helped

not sure if it was depression but my son was born in 05 and i spent the whole year drinking myself to sleep and running to work just so i could be in peoples company to chat to.

i didnt want to be alone, and always needed someone to take my mind off it

being a father at the age of 21 i was so scared of dying, not scared of death itself just the fact my son wouldnt grow up knowing me. having this amazing gift then not being able to see him grow up, by the end of 06 i let it go and not sure if it was anixety or depression but finally got over the fear.

still these days i know its not depression but i get myself worked up to easy, my harshist critic is myself, i expect to much from myself most times.

i hope everyone who has posted on this thread gets thru this and stay safe

jack D and coke

Dunno if this'll help anybody but I quite like it. By Rocky Balboa of all people but a pretty good message all the same....

meqa9adu.jpg

Good luck to anybody struggling. I know how it feels believe me. Things get better though if you stick in there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

Great thread, glad people can take matters off there minds and read what others are going thru and help them the same way they were helped

not sure if it was depression but my son was born in 05 and i spent the whole year drinking myself to sleep and running to work just so i could be in peoples company to chat to.

i didnt want to be alone, and always needed someone to take my mind off it

being a father at the age of 21 i was so scared of dying, not scared of death itself just the fact my son wouldnt grow up knowing me. having this amazing gift then not being able to see him grow up, by the end of 06 i let it go and not sure if it was anixety or depression but finally got over the fear.

still these days i know its not depression but i get myself worked up to easy, my harshist critic is myself, i expect to much from myself most times.

i hope everyone who has posted on this thread gets thru this and stay safe

Had exactly this in 2002 when my first was born. Went on for some time as well.

It was a paralyzing fear of losing either my own life or hers. The feeling of being extremely vulnerable.

It was pretty grim at times.

By the time my 3rd came along I never gave it much thought.

Haven't had time to read through all of this but can see it has been therapeutic for those of you with some kind of anxiety disorder to open up about it.

It scares me that more suicides occur in NZ that road deaths each year. John Kirwan got a knighthood for his work in raising awareness. Just shows that even wealthy, high profile and highly successful people are far from immune.

Good luck to all of you who suffer to some degree from this curse.

• 2 months later...

Off topic slightly but still mental health related. My doc referred me to an adult ADHD specialist recently and after spending a bit of time with him he has decided to start me on meds. Concerta XL on a 2 week trial. Bit worried about how it'll affect me but hopeful that it'll make a difference.

I don't experience the hyperactivity or impulsivity but throughout my life I've been a day dreamer and struggled to pay attention in class, been forgetful and disorganised. I felt as though it has held me back so I thought I'd reach out and see if there was something that could help me with it.

Anyone else on here been diagnosed with ADHD as an adult?

• 3 months later...

Been cutting down meds over the last week or so and feeling unbelievably shit. A quick google confirms the side effects while coming off bur no mention of hpw long they can last. Was sick a pig earlier which I suspect might just be a coincidence but the nausea and tiredness is the worst. I know its thw home stretch so want to wean off them in thw right way but wondered if anyone could shed sone light on how long the symptoms might last?

Took about 6 to 8 weeks to settle down when I started them so are we looking at a similar time scale?

I'm not a sufferer so was wondering what the difference is between being stressed out at work say and being diagnosed with depression? For example I dislike my job, struggle to pay bills, have no money for a social life and hate the Monday to Friday grind. I'm stressed out because of this. Am I therefore depressed and suffering from depression?

Looking at this post I made 18 month's ago, I'm wondering If I was suffering from some level of depression. The reason I posted that is I wasn't feeling great and felt so much pressure.

At that point I had a 2 year old and the usual expenses of life which I wasn't coping with. My partner doesn't earn much and the pressure was on me to keep the wheels turning. My job involved difficult weld tests to get a start, the strain I felt knowing bills were mounting up and I needed to pass to get work only made me worse. My quality of work plummeted and a vicious cycle started. I couldn't get/stay in work, money woes built up and the pressure piled on again, wash rinse repeat. I could barely drag myself out the door and barely slept at that point. It culminated in me breaking down in front of my partner after another call to say don't come in tomorrow.

A few day's later my folks were taking my partner and daughter on holiday and I got to go too seeing as I was jobless (again) and my mum knew something was up with me. I was greeting down the phone to her that I couldn't take another boot in the baws like I had. I felt trapped and worthless at that point which Isn't me at all.

And so, after a few day's there I checked my email and had a new job to come back to and to retrain. I feel like a different bloke now. I travel way less, I love what I do as opposed to hate, sleep much better and have more time for myself and family. I've chipped away at my finances and things are much better.

The reason I'm posting this is that the difference In me is huge. What do people think?

Just be careful, if you were/are on medication, stick to it until your gp eases you off them. Is too easy to go back to square one.

The thing that gets to me about depression is that it's impossible to talk to anyone about it. Nobody understands unless they have been through it themselves, not even the "professionals". My manager at work has to be the worst for not understanding, she acts as if I'm just naturally a horrible person, even though she knows about my situation. Might as we'll wave goodbye to my annual bonus! Disability discrimination act comes to mind...

If it wasn't for my wife & kids I can safely say I wouldn't be here right now, life is worthless!

Hope that has cheered everyone up?

thanks Col..

the reduction in meds has been discussed and i'm clear on what i need to do now. just feels like a wee step backwards with the tiredness, headeaches and such. with doctors advice i am now going every second day without a tablet for the next few weeks and i've been down to 1 a day for about 4 weeks now.

came home from work and literally just climbed into bed. not long woken, but going back to sleep again now to see how i feel in the morning. blinding headache though

Juan Rom?n Riquelme

Been cutting down meds over the last week or so and feeling unbelievably shit. A quick google confirms the side effects while coming off bur no mention of hpw long they can last. Was sick a pig earlier which I suspect might just be a coincidence but the nausea and tiredness is the worst. I know its thw home stretch so want to wean off them in thw right way but wondered if anyone could shed sone light on how long the symptoms might last?

Took about 6 to 8 weeks to settle down when I started them so are we looking at a similar time scale?

I know what you're going through.

I was on quite a high dose of Venlafaxine and just before Christmas I threw them all in the bin on a whim.

They really weren't doing me any good but I've since found out that under no circumstances should you do that but oh well.

It's probably been about 4 to 5 weeks now and I still feel quite a bit of side effects such as tiredness, weird sensations in my head, trouble with needing to go to the toilet a lot which is a strange one.

I guess it depends on how big a dose you were taking but it's a pretty major shift seeing as the whole chemical balance of your brain is shifting.

I've read some places about people cutting a tablet into halfs/quarters/eights etc or taking the individual wee balls out of slow release capsules and dividing them up though.

Obviously I've no experience with this though :lol:

Juan Rom?n Riquelme

Missed that you mentioned nausea there.

That was really, really bad for me but passed after about a fortnight.

thanks captain. i hate feeling sick. i can handle headache etc, but throwing up is a different matter entirely.

still, end is in sight

Matthew Le Tissier

I grew up having Adhd. I was put on ritalin aged 4 and concerta aged 13. Now I am not not going to lie I have had a pritty easy up bringing good family around me etc. When I hit 16 I came off the concerta. I felt like their was no point in taking it and that the hospital would always palm me off.

Im now 23 and ive considered doing daft things alot. Ive been chucked out of college and sacked from a job. I spent 4 years on the dole. During those 4 years I came close to ending it all. (drama queen yeah I know). Found myself on the edge of the platform at Edinburgh W and also on the bus to the FRB.

The two times I came close I was stopped by a simple phone call off my ex telling me the wee fella is asking for me.

I know how have a job , but still get myself really down about things and still have those thoughts of what if

Just be careful, if you were/are on medication, stick to it until your gp eases you off them. Is too easy to go back to square one.

The thing that gets to me about depression is that it's impossible to talk to anyone about it. Nobody understands unless they have been through it themselves, not even the "professionals". My manager at work has to be the worst for not understanding, she acts as if I'm just naturally a horrible person, even though she knows about my situation. Might as we'll wave goodbye to my annual bonus! Disability discrimination act comes to mind...

If it wasn't for my wife & kids I can safely say I wouldn't be here right now, life is worthless!

Hope that has cheered everyone up?

think this is quite informative: http://hyperboleandahalf.blogspot.co.uk/2013/05/depression-part-two.html

I grew up having Adhd. I was put on ritalin aged 4 and concerta aged 13. Now I am not not going to lie I have had a pritty easy up bringing good family around me etc. When I hit 16 I came off the concerta. I felt like their was no point in taking it and that the hospital would always palm me off.

Im now 23 and ive considered doing daft things alot. Ive been chucked out of college and sacked from a job. I spent 4 years on the dole. During those 4 years I came close to ending it all. (drama queen yeah I know). Found myself on the edge of the platform at Edinburgh W and also on the bus to the FRB.

The two times I came close I was stopped by a simple phone call off my ex telling me the wee fella is asking for me.

I know how have a job , but still get myself really down about things and still have those thoughts of what if

Are you no longer getting treatment for it? Maybe best getting some help from a specialist and explore options. If concerta didn't work then maybe adderall or one of the other ones will help.

If your ADHD is stopping you from holding down a job then that's gonna leave you feeling pretty shit, and if your feeling shit and have impulsivity then that could be a dangerous combo mate.

My brother is 35 this year and was diagnosed with ADHD when he was 16. He has always refused treatment but has struggled throughout his life to hold down a job or finish a college course, and I can't help think that he is wasting his life by refusing treatment. He's a bright guy but his condition is holding him back and he's too proud to admit he needs help.

After I got diagnosed with ADD (I only have the poor concentration without the hyperactivity or impulsivity) I was given concerta which has really helped me, I thought my brother might see that it's not that big a deal, but he's still against taking meds. He might regret that one day though :(

rodger whittaker

Hi folks. I'm not much of a poster, more a lurker, but I could really do with advice from people not involved in my situation to give me a neutral perspective.

About 5 months ago my partner and I had a beautiful baby girl. This is my first daughter and my partner's second. We have had our ups and downs over our two year relationship like anyone else, but overall are very strong and loving. The woman is the love of my life.

Anyway, following the birth of our daughter my partner started becoming increasingly suspicious of my movements and activities whenever I was out. Even if I was out with our baby girl she seemed suspicious that I was out meeting other women. Obviously I wasn't. I tried to address it with her but it was always just dismissed as nothing to worry about and her mind working overtime. I should say that my partner and I got together when I was in another relationship so I have a history of cheating (one that I'm not proud of) but I have NEVER cheated on her. I never would. This escalated until a couple of weeks ago when we were in the process of moving house and there was a fairly innocuous incident which my partner admitted she over reacted to. Following this she has decided she can't trust me and it's better if we are apart. I have given explanations and proof to the contrary for every suspicion she has yet she says she can't trust me and cannot 'live in doubt' although she still loves me. There was never any doubt prior to our baby girl arriving.

Also since our daughter arrived, my partner has been extremely tired alsomst constantly, irritable, varying between low mood to almost extreme highs, low libido, making comments about her not being attractive (seeking constant reassurance on this) and uninterested in her friends or doing anything together. I realise that these could all be part of being a new mum coupled with going back to work fairly quickly after our daughter arrived. But it's just such an extreme change I'm worried she may have some form of Post Natal Depression. I'm not an angel and we have our problems like anyone else. My partner has a fiery side to her and if you cross her then hell mend you. But I have never, ever known her like this. It's almost like I don't recognise her anymore. She has a history of low mood and went through something similar after the birth of her first daughter - although PND was never suggested to my knowledge. It was put down to her having her first daughter very young.

Since this kicked off we have both said some horrible things, which I know I don't mean - and she tells me she doesn't either, and the other night I blurted out I thought she may be suffering from PND. Now she won't speak to me, has emptied all of her and the kids belongings from the house and is staying elsewhere and has told friends she is disgusted by that suggestion as it implies she can't look after our girls. Nothing could be further from the truth - she is a fantastic mother.

I love my partner dearly. Up until a couple of weeks ago we were excited about or future (marriage, new house, holidays, more kids etc), but now this all seems to be gone - for her at least. I've thought about approaching her family but I'm worried this could make things worse if they don't agree with me. Who knows, maybe they could be right and the relationship has broken down irretrievably, but it's just such a massive shift, I'm worried about her.

I've researched PND online and spoken with a couple of support groups and it appears she could be displaying symptoms of PND. Does anyone have any advice on how - or even if - I should approach this in the best manner for my partner, our kids and our relationship?

Thanks.

Hi folks. I'm not much of a poster, more a lurker, but I could really do with advice from people not involved in my situation to give me a neutral perspective.

About 5 months ago my partner and I had a beautiful baby girl. This is my first daughter and my partner's second. We have had our ups and downs over our two year relationship like anyone else, but overall are very strong and loving. The woman is the love of my life.

Anyway, following the birth of our daughter my partner started becoming increasingly suspicious of my movements and activities whenever I was out. Even if I was out with our baby girl she seemed suspicious that I was out meeting other women. Obviously I wasn't. I tried to address it with her but it was always just dismissed as nothing to worry about and her mind working overtime. I should say that my partner and I got together when I was in another relationship so I have a history of cheating (one that I'm not proud of) but I have NEVER cheated on her. I never would. This escalated until a couple of weeks ago when we were in the process of moving house and there was a fairly innocuous incident which my partner admitted she over reacted to. Following this she has decided she can't trust me and it's better if we are apart. I have given explanations and proof to the contrary for every suspicion she has yet she says she can't trust me and cannot 'live in doubt' although she still loves me. There was never any doubt prior to our baby girl arriving.

Also since our daughter arrived, my partner has been extremely tired alsomst constantly, irritable, varying between low mood to almost extreme highs, low libido, making comments about her not being attractive (seeking constant reassurance on this) and uninterested in her friends or doing anything together. I realise that these could all be part of being a new mum coupled with going back to work fairly quickly after our daughter arrived. But it's just such an extreme change I'm worried she may have some form of Post Natal Depression. I'm not an angel and we have our problems like anyone else. My partner has a fiery side to her and if you cross her then hell mend you. But I have never, ever known her like this. It's almost like I don't recognise her anymore. She has a history of low mood and went through something similar after the birth of her first daughter - although PND was never suggested to my knowledge. It was put down to her having her first daughter very young.

Since this kicked off we have both said some horrible things, which I know I don't mean - and she tells me she doesn't either, and the other night I blurted out I thought she may be suffering from PND. Now she won't speak to me, has emptied all of her and the kids belongings from the house and is staying elsewhere and has told friends she is disgusted by that suggestion as it implies she can't look after our girls. Nothing could be further from the truth - she is a fantastic mother.

I love my partner dearly. Up until a couple of weeks ago we were excited about or future (marriage, new house, holidays, more kids etc), but now this all seems to be gone - for her at least. I've thought about approaching her family but I'm worried this could make things worse if they don't agree with me. Who knows, maybe they could be right and the relationship has broken down irretrievably, but it's just such a massive shift, I'm worried about her.

I've researched PND online and spoken with a couple of support groups and it appears she could be displaying symptoms of PND. Does anyone have any advice on how - or even if - I should approach this in the best manner for my partner, our kids and our relationship?

Thanks.

Try to get her to her GP. Not trying to fob you off, but she's probably better speaking to somebody who properly understands what's going on with her. Good luck!

rodger whittaker

Try to get her to her GP. Not trying to fob you off, but she's probably better speaking to somebody who properly understands what's going on with her. Good luck!

Thanks mate.

Thanks mate.

If she's defensive as you say, I'd imagine it might be best presented as being for her benefit, rather than "you've been behaving weirdly lately, getting paranoid about nothing and it's got to stop. Get to your doctor and get it sorted".

rodger whittaker

If she's defensive as you say, I'd imagine it might be best presented as being for her benefit, rather than "you've been behaving weirdly lately, getting paranoid about nothing and it's got to stop. Get to your doctor and get it sorted".

Definitely mate. I doubt very much she'll agree to go but I think I'm going to bite the bullet and speak to a family member to see if they'll help.

blondejamtart

I think that might be the way forward - it definitely sounds as if it could be PND, and if it is, then she does need to get some help sooner rather than later, not only for her own sake

rodger whittaker

I think that might be the way forward - it definitely sounds as if it could be PND, and if it is, then she does need to get some help sooner rather than later, not only for her own sake

Thanks blonde. I need to do something, because right now our relationship has hit a brick wall. It's almost as if she hates me and she's not even letting me see the kids. I've seen my little girls for less than an hour since the weekend.