depression

chester copperpot

Guys, has anyone consistently had bouts of depression etc over a number of years? That's where I'm at at the minute. Been to the doc a few times, been prescribed pills that had absolutely no effect. I can feel it creeping up on me again even though I try and and stave it off and I know that if I end up where I've been before it could be take months or years for me to feel better. Just seems to go in small peaks and massive troughs. Its starting to make me physically ill.

Feel a bit balls to the wall talking about it on here but I really don't feel like there's anyone I can talk to or relate to in my life about it so hoping someone might have experienced similar.

Sorry to hear you're feeling like that Captain. It's pretty much exactly what I go through. I have episodes every few months. Different things can trigger them and it's a horrible feeling knowing that what little progress you made, you are back at stage one again. As you said, you try and stave it off and pretend everything's ok but deep down you know it's not. Cup final weekend, I was going through a pretty bad episode and that was really difficult because I had people saying to me "You know we've won right?!" and "You're bloody miserable, lighten up"- tried to pass it off as me being nervous/tired but in reality I felt so low and was home in my bed as soon as possible. I've been on the waiting list to speak to someone for 8 months now since my most serious episode and despite calls to check, I've still not been given an appointment. Best of luck.

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• rudi must stay

• JudyJudyJudy

• Morgan

• Captain Canada

Can only echo what has been said previously, you need to see a psychiatrist/psychologist or at the very least a counsellor to discuss the reasons behind where you are the minute.

Demand to see one when next at your GP, I know it's tough but it will benefit you in the longer term.

Good luck!

My partner has suffered depression for two years due to abuse in a previous relationship and drug taking. The latter id say more or less was to block out theses feelings. She was doing well then her father passed away ten days after our six month son was born that brought it on badly for a few months. Things looking up though as shes working and this keeps her mind of it. If poss try and get referred to SAMH ( scottish mental health ass.) theyre hearts mental health charity for the coming season. We are getting free tickets for the inverness game but ive told them every time we get free tickets il donate cash to the big hearts fund. Only advice ive got is try and keep your mind stimulated and do things you enjoy also TALK to family and friends.

My partner has suffered depression for two years due to abuse in a previous relationship and drug taking. The latter id say more or less was to block out theses feelings. She was doing well then her father passed away ten days after our six month son was born that brought it on badly for a few months. Things looking up though as shes working and this keeps her mind of it. If poss try and get referred to SAMH ( scottish mental health ass.) theyre hearts mental health charity for the coming season. We are getting free tickets for the inverness game but ive told them every time we get free tickets il donate cash to the big hearts fund. Only advice ive got is try and keep your mind stimulated and do things you enjoy also TALK to family and friends.

Last sentence is great advice. Although you might feel like all you want to do is lie in bed and hide under your duvet, I find filling your day/evening with as much as you can helps. Call up old friends, go to the cinema etc. I'm starting a second part time job today which I'm pretty excited about and because it's morning shifts I'll be up and about early which means hopefully I'll get back into a normal sleeping pattern too which is another thing that helps. :)

A couple of my close mates are struggling at the moment, and I've tried to make sure I phone them at least a couple of times a week. I try and meet up with them individually for a game of pool and a chat which can provide opportunities for them to offload stuff. I make sure it's individually though, because they're both heavy drinkers when they get together, and that just exacerbates their problems. Two's company and all that.

I think opportunities for guys to open up are few and far between, and conversations are usually restricted to things like football etc. But if you ask the right questions, you'll often find that people are desperate to talk about their issues, and it makes a big difference. Sometimes it can be helpful to reveal personal struggles, to encourage an atmosphere of trust and openness.

I think you're right that men fear that they'll be embarrassed if they mention they're depressed or similar, but I think it's often unfounded. I've had plenty of such problems and nobody has ever laughed or been anything other than concerned and keen to help.

Good on you shapes. Ive seen at first hand how depression affects people even though i dont understand it myself. Shes joining the gym in two weeks so i think this will help her mental toughness if she can push herself when her minds saying no. The worst thing you can do is keep it to yourself as your world will collapse as 9/10 youll do the wrrong thing

I think you're right that men fear that they'll be embarrassed if they mention they're depressed or similar, but I think it's often unfounded. I've had plenty of such problems and nobody has ever laughed or been anything other than concerned and keen to help.

Agreed. I'm sure a lot of mates would be pleased that you valued and trusted them enough to open up to them. It often brings your friendship to a more meaningful place, and find that you develop a great deal of respect for each other.

One of my mates who I previously posted about is doing much better now. He's been off the booze for 6 months and his wife is expecting their second child. The other one seems to be on a downward spiral just now, but things can change so quickly.

Sorry to hear about this, Haddock. Hope this thread can be of some use to you, and I'm glad you bumped it because it's a helpful thread IMO.

Last sentence is great advice. Although you might feel like all you want to do is lie in bed and hide under your duvet, I find filling your day/evening with as much as you can helps. Call up old friends, go to the cinema etc. I'm starting a second part time job today which I'm pretty excited about and because it's morning shifts I'll be up and about early which means hopefully I'll get back into a normal sleeping pattern too which is another thing that helps. :)

Good stuff, Shapes. :thumbsup:

I think you're right about having something to get out of bed for being a big help.

Ive been listening to a self help audiobook called 'Eat that frog' and it's helping me to prioritise things and stop procrastinating. It's quite cheesy and American but it's not bad really. One of the key things I learned from it was to start planning things on paper the night before each day, which seems to help me get more done. I've been letting it slip a bit though :(

The Comedian

I'm not a sufferer so was wondering what the difference is between being stressed out at work say and being diagnosed with depression? For example I dislike my job, struggle to pay bills, have no money for a social life and hate the Monday to Friday grind. I'm stressed out because of this. Am I therefore depressed and suffering from depression?

I'm not a sufferer so was wondering what the difference is between being stressed out at work say and being diagnosed with depression? For example I dislike my job, struggle to pay bills, have no money for a social life and hate the Monday to Friday grind. I'm stressed out because of this. Am I therefore depressed and suffering from depression?

It's a complicated thing. Stress and depression are normal human reactions to events and circumstantances, and they tell us when something's wrong in our life. They force us to examine ourselves and look at changes we might need to make in our thinking, attitudes, lifestyle choices, priorities etc.

The problem most of us have is time. We neglect ourselves unwittingly because we're too busy with work, family life and other time consuming things which sap our energies. When we do get time to ourselves were knackered out, so we spend it soothing our pain with fun things instead of trying to identify and solve the problems that make us so unhappy.

In short we get depressed and we don't know why. We don't have the time or the inclination to find out why. We don't want to open that can of worms, so we all just stick a plaster (in the form of booze, recreation, pills, illeagal drugs, holidays or whatever) over our emotional wounds, and hope that things get better. Sooner or later you may find yourself in trouble, but if you make positive changes it can help a lot.

What a thorougly refreshing thread. Takes baws to talk openly about these things and good to see people being open and honest about a serious illness that has only recently been recognised as such.

Johanes de Silentio

There is probably some set criteria that doctors use for diagnosis.

Most people are depressed by the kind of issues you mention.

Actual depression can be triggered by a particularly harrowing event - it can also be caused by low serotonin levels in a person's physical make-up - stuff like that.

For many people, it can be that bad that they genuinely think about taking their own life.

Hell of a thing.

Actual depression can be triggered by a particularly harrowing event - it can also be caused by low serotonin levels in a person's physical make-up - stuff like that.

For many people, it can be that bad that they genuinely think about taking their own life.

Hell of a thing.

There is, its a questionnaire style thing that gives an indication at the end depending on score, thats what I am led to believe is used.

Johanes de Silentio

There is, its a questionnaire style thing that gives an indication at the end depending on score, thats what I am led to believe is used.

Yup.

It's funny that The Comedian mentioned stress - if you're stressed anough for long enough, that can lead to depression as well, rather than being merely depressed.

Although depression can be triggered its also a chemical imbalance in the brain. Most people neex medication but some can fight it with herbal remedies, sounds daft but that would have to be in it mildest form

scott_jambo

What a thorougly refreshing thread. Takes baws to talk openly about these things and good to see people being open and honest about a serious illness that has only recently been recognised as such.

Well said John.

I have a little booklet the doctor gave me it is called Living Life To The Full, The Rules of Assertion, www.bounceback.ca There is a passage in this small pocket size booklet Overcoming Depression & Low Mood. Dr C Williams(2001/6/9) www.fiveareas.com

The advice about seeking help is excellent, sometimes we and I was one are suffering unusual behaviour and self diagnose and sort of lean to the most prominent topic of the day. In my case it was Depression, I seemed to be having symptoms similar to those of people I know who have depression and are medicated for it. I eventually went to the doctor and bit the bullet opening up my innermost thoughts and concerns to her. She listened shook her head and said you may be depressed but you do not have Depression.

We went through my previous 4 year medical history, and she pointed out no wonder you feel and act differently. I now understand I was stressed, almost a form of PTSD. She gave me the small booklet I referred to, and one of the little aids when I get stressed is to isolate the true problem, sometimes what you think is stressing you is not the real stressor. What worked for me, no medication, a good self kick in the arse, and an act your age you silly old bugger worked for me. But may not for anyone else, I consulted a professional first then with her advice and my handy dandy wee book, am much better, but still have my moments but do understand them which is important.

SanliHearts

That's right.

I fill one out at my check up every 3 months.

Maiden Gorgie

The questionnaire has around ten questions and your scoring helps diagnosis. I have been on meds for this for around a year now, and all is looking good.

But for me, and everyone's experiences will be different, reading up on it helps just as much as the meds.

I read this (twice!)

My link

I'm currently in the process of deciding whether I just feel a bit low at the moment against whether I am starting to experience depression. Got a doctors appointment booked for Friday afternoon to discuss it further. In my case it is largely career driven as I've been keen to do something different for a while now and in the current economic climate that is proving very difficult, so thus a feeling of hopelessness has been my predominant emotion of late. This is in spite of recently getting engaged, living in a nice house etc, things that from the outside looking in would seem to be very positive.

Anythingbutgreen

I've been feeling pretty low of late but im unsure as to whether this is depression or anxiety problems and i have no idea from what it stems from.

There can be days where i feel good and others when i feel the opposite, going a walk down to the shops can be difficult as i feel like everyone is watching me. This has been going on for about 5 or 6 months now, when previously i wouldn't experience things like this before. In some social situations i find it difficult, even being around mates, i feel as if there is a barrier when i speak and sometimes feel like i need to take a big breath/put what im about to say through my head many times before i say it in social situations. Because of this awakward feeling, many times i dont speak up. I had to do a few resits at uni after i didn't bother to attempt some assessments last year in semester 2, i had feelings of no motivation at all to complete them and therefore i didnt do them. Whereas in the previous semester i did very well across my modules. My mum and dad split up over a year and a half ago so this could be a cause, since i've almost been stuck in the middle between them. My mum and dad have both suffered from depression and have had alcohol problems as a result. Thankfully, my dad has recovered and hasn't drunk for a year.

One of the situations in which i feel hard to do is going on public transport, again it feels difficult.

I agree with what previous posters have said about feeling worse after going out or drinking the night before, i seem to become confident as the day goes on after feeling down in the morning.

I have thought about going to the doctors, but as of yet haven't brought myself to do it.

shaun.lawson

I've been feeling pretty low of late but im unsure as to whether this is depression or anxiety problems and i have no idea from what it stems from.

There can be days where i feel good and others when i feel the opposite, going a walk down to the shops can be difficult as i feel like everyone is watching me. This has been going on for about 5 or 6 months now, when previously i wouldn't experience things like this before. In some social situations i find it difficult, even being around mates, i feel as if there is a barrier when i speak and sometimes feel like i need to take a big breath/put what im about to say through my head many times before i say it in social situations. Because of this awakward feeling, many times i dont speak up. I had to do a few resits at uni after i didn't bother to attempt some assessments last year in semester 2, i had feelings of no motivation at all to complete them and therefore i didnt do them. Whereas in the previous semester i did very well across my modules. My mum and dad split up over a year and a half ago so this could be a cause, since i've almost been stuck in the middle between them. My mum and dad have both suffered from depression and have had alcohol problems as a result. Thankfully, my dad has recovered and hasn't drunk for a year.

One of the situations in which i feel hard to do is going on public transport, again it feels difficult.

I agree with what previous posters have said about feeling worse after going out or drinking the night before, i seem to become confident as the day goes on after feeling down in the morning.

I have thought about going to the doctors, but as of yet haven't brought myself to do it.

Good God man, you must, at once! The above are horribly classical symptoms of serious depression and anxiety - and because you've not had any treatment, it's spread throughout your life like a virus. You owe it to yourself to get help - and that means asking for a referral from your doc immediately.

I'm not posting my true thoughts on this thread, not sure why, probably because some people I know are on here and I don't want anyone to know how I am feeling right now and have done for quite a few years now but just want to say that I'm taking a hell of a lot of strength from some of the posts on here.

I've felt depressed for about 5 years now and I'm lucky that my lovely woman is easy to talk to and agrees that I might be suffering from this. She has tried to get me to get help for it but I'm a wee bit scared to be honest.

The thing is though, I have a beautiful woman who I'm marrying next year, a really good job that I love, a nice house, not short of a few bob (not rich) have 3 holidays a year and have just seen my team stuff their biggest rivals in the biggest cup final ever!! I can't / shouldn't be depressed!!

I go to the pub feeling low, meet my mates and get drunk and life's good, go home and then have a massive come down which can last for weeks.

It's taken me about an hour to write this and I've deleted a hell of a lot before posting but just want to say that it's good to know that I'm not alone.

Cracking open discussion on a very important subject. No-one can over estimate the value of a problem shared.

Whether its depression, anxiety or stress it doesn't really matter. All of these states of mind can serve to destroy your self confidence and make your life a misery. We all tread a thin line between a balanced outlook and negative thoughts.

I have always thought of moods as being like a wave form. Pushing the wave to a high results in a corresponding low on the other side. Alcohol and drugs provide an unnatural Hugh but are followed by an equally deep low and the climb out of the trough can be tough. Addin a bad workplace vibe and the whole wave can be thrown down our go into a downward crash. I found that giving away the bevvy really kept me more balanced, but equally some of the highest high points went missing. Work can be soul destroying and out is important that you can identify the drains on your emotional strength and remove them from you're life.that might man dumping the bird that drags you down or dumping the mates who get you I'm the pub ever night. It might also mean caravanning the job that is causing you're anxiety-not an ready task in this economy.

Having a hobby and feeling useful is essential.if your job doesn't provide any satisfaction you better find it elsewhere.that might man fixing up old cars, painting pictures or writing extra long posts to help fellow kickbackers off to sleep.

Many of us have had some deep dark days, what I would say to all who have been brave enough to post their thoughts is that by sharing your experience you have done a good deed for your fellow kickbackers already. I would go as far as to say that anyone who hasn't had the odd dark day or sometimes had doubts about himself probably isn't worth knowing. Walking the line builds character in all of us and over the piece makes us all the more interesting.

I've had depression due to circumstances in the past. It passed when situation improved.

In February I became really ill with a bad virus which took weeks to go away. This seemed to have triggered a very low mood, lethargy and other health related issues. It lasted for weeks which was very difficult work wise as I'm self employed and simply have to keep going. No time off. I felt really, really low. And I slept a lot during the day, given the chance what with having three kids.

However recently it lifted somewhat and my health improved which was a relief. I do still feel tired and seem to have an ongoing cold/virus thing.

It worried me to feel so lethargic. Depressed even.

I know people who suffer very badly with it and you MUST get in contact with your gp or some other health professional.

Left unchecked it can have very grave consequences.

Jambof3tornado

I have my very own mental health nurse(the wife),she helps to keep me sane.

Keeps threatening to have me sectioned and has restrained me on numerous occasions(coz she has to practice on someone)!!!

Its good to talk and sometimes even to a total stranger on the phone,if you are depressed what harm can it do to tell someone? None at all.

• 3 months later...

i've just been diagnosed with anxiety and depression due to repressed grief (they think) but i'm terrified of the anti dpressants.. i'm been given fluoxtine, but usually i can; pull myself out of whatever darkness i fall into

i haven't this time and several years of fighting this has probably done more harm than good

time will ell tell i've done the right thing i'm sure, but right now i feel worse than ever admitting it

Guest GhostHunter

Bev - read through this thread - there are some amazing links (Moonjuice for one) and some great bits of advice that have helped me in the past....

i've just been diagnosed with anxiety and depression due to repressed grief (they think) but i'm terrified of the anti dpressants.. i'm been given fluoxtine, but usually i can; pull myself out of whatever darkness i fall into

i haven't this time and several years of fighting this has probably done more harm than good

time will ell tell i've done the right thing i'm sure, but right now i feel worse than ever admitting it

First off bev well done for having the guts to call it out in the forum having done it myself in the past I know it ain't easy.

As dex has said there's some great advice on this thread, if your Gp feels that you require anti dep's then I would follow their advice however you can do a lot yourself the one thing that I found supringsly useful was exercise it really had and continues to help.

Good luck.

A couple of my close mates are struggling at the moment, and I've tried to make sure I phone them at least a couple of times a week. I try and meet up with them individually for a game of pool and a chat which can provide opportunities for them to offload stuff. I make sure it's individually though, because they're both heavy drinkers when they get together, and that just exacerbates their problems. Two's company and all that.

I think opportunities for guys to open up are few and far between, and conversations are usually restricted to things like football etc. But if you ask the right questions, you'll often find that people are desperate to talk about their issues, and it makes a big difference. Sometimes it can be helpful to reveal personal struggles, to encourage an atmosphere of trust and openness.

Great response :-)

Bev - if you haven't already, find out about getting access to counselling, it can make the world of difference for some people in terms of just offloading everything.

It doesn't work for everyone though, but it's always worth giving it a go.

Good Luck!

cottagecheese11

Didn't really understand depression until I got older. My mum has bi polar, fibromyalgia and a host of other problems.

They say it's genetic with my sister & I having bouts of depression every now and again.

The waves come and go as they please, it might be 5 mins long or 3 days to a week. I've been to the doctor as my mum marched me there to see her doc. I have depression, it's just the feeling that comes down on you that is the worst, even knowing you are going thru a bout of it there's nothing you can do to stop it.

Examples are when I was on a night out having a brilliantt time then all of a sudden my mood changed and I wanted to go home when 5 minutes previous I was chatting away joking and being happy.

The medical profession still can't work out why. I gave my mum grief for years about it until i realised I had it too.

Mines was a trigger from the death of 3 of my closest family members and the break up of a long term realishionship of my childhood sweetheart. ( 11 years )

I'm still really positive and have a support network to help me thru but the dark times are when you feel so alone it's the worst feeling in the world.

I wouldnt wish depression on my worst enemy.

see, i'm able to laugh and have fun, today being a good example, but then i'll want to cry with no reason and that makes me more hyper, trying to be all happy and chat a million miles a word.

thanks to people who've messaged me, and replied on here too

I suffer from depression, diagnosed around 3 years ago and it's good to see it being given more attention in a positive way.

I hid it from everyone for many months without anyone realising what I was going through, in fact if it hadn't been for the fact that my mum is a nurse and realised something was going on I don't know if I would have ever admitted the problem and faced up to dealing with it.

In public I was the life and soul, either at work or out I was appearing to everyone as a positive person but on my own I was a completely different. Depression can take many forms mines was almost a don't care about anything/indifference attitude and I am not ashamed to admit it often breakdown in tears at the most random of things.

Once I admitted to people I suffered from it, I soon found out two of my close friends also suffer from it as well as an older friend who has been dealing with it for over 20 years. It helps to talk with them through things that may seem fickle in the eyes of others but between us we realise its not as easy to "just get on with it". Talking about it made me realise the support network I have available to me from family and friends.

I have good days/months and bad ones, but at least now I know I don't have to deal with it myself and can speak to people about it. Cheesy as it sounds its good to talk about things and a problem shared really is a problem halved. But it really is true. Speak to a friend, family member sometimes even a random stranger can help you get things into perspective.

It's much more common than people realise and the media attention it's getting at the moment can only be a positive.

is this why you have never won a major IYO???

Daydream Believer

Hell of a thing.

2 of my family members did just that. Both of them young men. Another friend tried and failed. 5 years on, he's really sorted himself out - great job, new girlfriend and is genuinely happy. When he tried it though, he just couldn't have ever forseen that things would get better.

Hopefully nobody on this thread ever gets that far, but if so please contact a friend or the Samaritans on 08457 90 90 90, who will just chat with no record kept of the conversation.

Sergio Garcia

is this why you have never won a major IYO???

Nah that will be down to the old putter. But in all seriously I think Sergio Garcia is a sportstar that also suffers from depreession like the ones featured in the documentary, IIRC his stems from the break up with Greg Norman's daughter.

southside1874

First off bev well done for having the guts to call it out in the forum having done it myself in the past I know it ain't easy.

As dex has said there's some great advice on this thread, if your Gp feels that you require anti dep's then I would follow their advice however you can do a lot yourself the one thing that I found supringsly useful was exercise it really had and continues to help.

Good luck.

Doctors are not trained to work with depression and "mental illness" and they don't have the time to give to their patients anymore. They just give out drugs to ease the problem initially but are not getting to the root of the problem. Exercise is one of the best remedies. It gets the bodies organs working, it gets the blood flowing to the brain and it helps us see more clearly.

I'm currently studying stress/depression in my Psychology course at college. I've got a friend who's been diagnosed with depression and he's giving this a shot.

Cultivate supportive relationships -

Turn to a trusted friend or family member. It's best to share what you're going through with the people you love. Even though depression may have caused you to drift from a close relationship you have to understand that your loved ones will always be there for you.

Force yourself to do social activities, even if you really don't want to. When you're depressed you often want to stay in your comfort zone but being in the company of other people will make you feel much better.

Challenge Negative Thinking -

Depression puts a negative spin on things, including the way you see yourself and your ambitions/expectations for the future.

Allow yourself to be less perfect. Most depressed people set their standards far too high and end up feeling down about it when they fail.

Taking Care of Yourself -

Aim for 8 hours of sleep each night. Depression is often caused by your sleeping times, whether that be too little or too much.

Expose yourself to sunlight. Take a short walk once a day, have a coffee in the garden, sit on a park bench and watch the people go by.

Practice relaxation techniques. Try things like yoga, meditation or deep breathing to take your mind of things.

I know this one sounds daft, but buying a pet can really help. They can bring joy to your life and make you feel less isolated. It also makes you feel as if the pet really needs you to be there for it.

Exercise - Aim for 30 minutes of exercise a day. You can start out with 10 minute short bursts to improve your mood and you can take it from there. Do things like taking the stairs rather than the lift, park at the furthest away space etc.

Exercise will really help as it causes new cell growth in the brain, increases mood-enhancing neurotransmitters and releases endorphins.

Healthy Diet -

Don't skip meals. Make sure you eat breakfast, lunch and dinner everyday and don't go longer than 4-5 hours between each meal.

Aim for a balanced diet of proteins, carbohydrates, fruit & vegetables. Carbohydrates such as baked potato, pasta, brown rice, oatmeal and bananas can boost serotonin levels.

I'd say the most important things to do are to regularly speak to people about it and make sure to exercise to take your mind away from everything. Studies have shown that women are far more likely to talk to people about it than men, but I'd encourage you not to keep it to yourself.

I hope this helps and I wish everyone the best.

see, i'm able to laugh and have fun, today being a good example, but then i'll want to cry with no reason and that makes me more hyper, trying to be all happy and chat a million miles a word.

thanks to people who've messaged me, and replied on here too

Sorry to hear that Bev, anxiety and depression seem to go together unfortunately. I normally steer clear of these threads as it's my day job but as I've replied elsewhere..

Did your doc give you another option rather than pills? Or a combination of meds and counselling?

Fortunately for me, I'm able to recognise the signs of bad time and bring my coping mechanisms into play....still get anxious going shopping. Will they recognise me buying the same shite week after week? How many people will be in the queue? Stress....

Oh and as for exercise? That's all well and good but if you're depressed you find it hard to get dressed/washed let alone run about regardless of how well it might make someone feel. Just think it is a lazy response which unfortunately I've used in my job...went with the Uni training rather than my own experience.

Check out the stress-vulnerability model too.

Taking Care of Yourself -

Aim for 8 hours of sleep each night. Depression is often caused by your sleeping times, whether that be too little or too much.

This might help people in terms of sleep:

http://www.sleepyti.me/

It goes in one and half hour sleep cycles which is what your body apparently works in. 8 hours, while good, can actually be worse for many because its right in the middle of a cycle.

Edited by Chester?

Doctors are not trained to work with depression and "mental illness" and they don't have the time to give to their patients anymore. They just give out drugs to ease the problem initially but are not getting to the root of the problem. Exercise is one of the best remedies. It gets the bodies organs working, it gets the blood flowing to the brain and it helps us see more clearly.

This article http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-18335173 suggests that exercise helping with depression is a fallacy. It makes me feel better so I was quite surprised when I read it. I actually find that being immersed in water helps a lot, whether its swimming, a bath or scuba diving, all of these seem to improve how I feel mentally. I guess a shrink might see it as longing for the womb or something and who knows, they may be right.

This article http://www.bbc.co.uk...health-18335173 suggests that exercise helping with depression is a fallacy. It makes me feel better so I was quite surprised when I read it. I actually find that being immersed in water helps a lot, whether its swimming, a bath or scuba diving, all of these seem to improve how I feel mentally. I guess a shrink might see it as longing for the womb or something and who knows, they may be right.

I was really surprised to read that too. Certainly in respect of stress and anxiety I've found excercise to be a great help.

fwiw I wrote on this thread early in the year and had a few PMs that have helped me this year so thanks for that and also just to know you're not alone with dealing with these issues is some comfort.

Oddly enough I wrote a little bit about my own experiences recently, you can read it here - http://no1jamblog.wordpress.com/. I found myself not wanting to go into too much detail though to be honest, so it may not be hugely helpful.

I've recently got back into playing football which has made a difference - I think its a combination of the exercise, being outdoors, but also being valued and feeling like people rely on you. For example, I was actually (believe it or not) made captain on Saturday, and really enjoyed playing. I've also tried to change my attitude towards a lot of things, previously I was very cynical and negative whereas I'm now trying to be a bit more positive.

Another big thing is booze - it can be great at the time, and we all have days where we really need a pint at the end of it, but binge drinking regularly leads to a massively harmful cycle which is definitely to be avoided.

Sorry to hear that Bev. Fluxoteine is nothing to be worried about but its best to be aware that it doesn't fix anything on its own, it more smoothes problems out a bit to allow you to deal with them. Best combined with some kind of talking therapy - it sounds like your Doc has actually done a bit if investigation rather than just doling out the pills. Make sure you push for that not to be the end of it.

Drop me a PM if you need a blether

I'm certainly no expert, my experience and training are cursory at best, and the last thing you should do is put to much store by what some random poster on a football forum says!

That said, from what you are saying, it does not sound to me (a nobody!) as if you're suffering from depression mate, but it does sound as if you're struggling to cope and perhaps suffering from stress.

Make an appointment to see your GP, and explain it to them. The very act of talking it through will help you, and they will be able to give you the appropriate help and advice, for you, and for your personal situation.

There is no "magic bullet", no one single answer. There are different "treatments" available, and different combinations of these treatments will be best for different people. We are not the same, and our situations, stressors, and treatments will all be different. That's why it's important that you speak to your GP, and get the help specific to you.

Some of the posts on this thread show that you're not alone, and that with help you can recover. Good luck. :thumb:

I do apologise mate but I've only just read this now. My notifications must have been playing up. I know it was a long time ago but thanks a lot for replying. :thumbsup:

Safe to say in the time that's gone by things have certainly got much better. I've only just turned 19 so it was a pretty horrible thing for me, but one that I felt no one would understand due to my age. My Dad sorted himself out a lot which in turn helped me out a lot too. I finally managed to get a job and felt less pressure in life. Last 10 months or so has been good and I'm enjoying life. Even found out I'm gonna be a Dad myself not too long ago. :10900:

I finally realised I just had to take control of my own life and you have to try and help yourself before you can rely on help from anyone else. I realised who is important in life and am trying to shun out those who aren't and are having any negative affect on my life. My family have sort of been torn apart in many ways by death and arguments on both sides of the family and I'm the only one who speaks to everybody so in many ways I felt as if I was in the middle and it all got a bit too much. But, I told myself that I had to just start putting myself first and start doing stuff for me for a change and it's definitely worked. Sure, I still feel deep down with the events that have occurred in my lifetime so far, a dark cloud hangs over me. But, there's no point in sitting around moping. My relatives that have passed on would rather I went out and did the best I could with my life rather than constantly mourn them. You have to laugh or else you'll cry at the end of the day.

Safe to say, I'm in a much better place. :thumbsup:

Interesting thread this one, I have been going to cbt therapy in Edinburgh for 10 months and its helped lots, especially the exercise "gathering evidence" against negative thought, recording the evidence on paper works better than recording it your mind where the demon sometimes sit. I would recommend it though. It's not that expensive where I go but when it's you're natal health then money shouldn't come into it hopefully.

J.T.F.Robertson

Sorry to hear that Bev, anxiety and depression seem to go together unfortunately. I normally steer clear of these threads as it's my day job but as I've replied elsewhere..

Did your doc give you another option rather than pills? Or a combination of meds and counselling?

Fortunately for me, I'm able to recognise the signs of bad time and bring my coping mechanisms into play....still get anxious going shopping. Will they recognise me buying the same shite week after week? How many people will be in the queue? Stress....

Oh and as for exercise? That's all well and good but if you're depressed you find it hard to get dressed/washed let alone run about regardless of how well it might make someone feel. Just think it is a lazy response which unfortunately I've used in my job...went with the Uni training rather than my own experience.

Check out the stress-vulnerability model too.

I can personally vouch for this. Despite the fact pride in my appearance (or superficiality) has always been one of my attributes, (go on then, fill your boots) I would inexplicably become "nervous" / "agitated" when it came time to perform even the most mundane tasks. Got to the stage, I couldn't be ersed ironing anything, shaving only every other day, things like that.

Then there were the thoughts. For as long as I can remember, I've never exactly been mr. positive, but about a year ago at this time, I began dwelling almost constantly, on the negative.

Anyway, I've been on meds, now, since about February past (just the one at night and one in the am) and they have certainly helped me. I'm still a miserable kant, but, for the most part at least, I don't feel as if I'm drowning in it.