depression

chester copperpot

Some excellent posts on this thread. I suffer from panic attacks as well and the whole "imaginary" thing is very true. And like Ezio I tend to feel embarrassed that I'm having one which makes it worse and I worry what people think about me.

Been feeling really low this week. A combination of a lot of things I think. Had a meeting with my year tutor at Uni yesterday about suspending my studies until September as I feel I'm too far behind now to catch up and graduate in the summer. This has made me anxious because I feel bad that I don't feel like I can complete this year and I'll end up graduating when I'm 24 when I should have when I was 22 had I completed my original degree. It also means finding a full time job until September which I don't feel like I have the motivation to do just now. Also handing the keys back over to the letting agency for my flat that I rented with my ex. We split up in October and I lived in the flat myself up until mid November when I hit my lowest. I then moved back home and nobody has lived there since. It's not the break up that I'm feeling down about, as it was in fact me that ended the relationship, it's more the "what could have been" and the feeling of being alone. It was a lovely flat and there could have been many good times ahead in it but something in me couldn't let it happen.

I'm on the waiting list for counselling sessions and it does feel like a long wait, but knowing that I can always just pick up the phone and phone my doctor and he'll fit me in brings some sense of comfort. I know myself that there are a few changes I need to make to my lifestyle but it's difficult. The first thing is that I know I shouldn't be drinking alcohol with the way I am feeling. Every time I have done so over the past few months I have got myself into a ridiculous state then spent the whole of the next week feeling extremely low. It's more that I feel I HAVE to go on nights out with friends or they will judge me. Another thing is relationships- although I split up with my ex at the end of October, I have been involved in something really complicated from as soon as that ended. It's not good for me and I know I just need to be on my own. Just not got the motivation to do anything just now. Meant to be going out with my friend later (no alcohol involved) and she is excited about it but I just don't even want to do that. Strangely, I don't feel stupid writing this on here because of what other people have wrote. :ermm:

Hi PS, a lot of what you say rings very true to me when i was younger. Think the way forward is not to dwell in the past too much ie. your ex and the feeling of losing your flat and try looking to the future and take one day at a time.

As far as uni is concerned if you finish youre degree one or two years late, so what !!, you are still young. :) My son finished his degree this summer one year later than planned and he used to worry about what folk would say etc. Now he never gives it a second thought because at the end of the day he achieved his goal in getting the degree.

As far as shutting people out and trying to hide things as you know it is the worst thing you can do,it just makes you feel even more isolated.

Take all the help you can get not only from the medical people but from your family and friends. Saying that you dont want to go out with your pal tonight, nah ,guaranteed if you go you will enjoy yourself but more importantly you will feel better when you come home and even tomorrow and the next few days.

You are right about drinking too much as well. At the time you feel great but the next morning and the next few days it will put you on a downer because basically alcohol is a depressant and increases your levels of depression, anxiety etc.and gets you into a vicious circle.

You seem like an intelligent girl ( even accounting where you come from ) B) and have taken the first steps to get on top of things, and its now just a case of keep being open with your doc. family and friends and carrying out the things you know will help you.

Sure things will start to improve soon and remember look forward and not back.

Good luck pal, sure you will be fine. :thumbsup::thumbsup:

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• rudi must stay

• JudyJudyJudy

• Morgan

• Captain Canada

Sergio Garcia

Some excellent posts on this thread. I suffer from panic attacks as well and the whole "imaginary" thing is very true. And like Ezio I tend to feel embarrassed that I'm having one which makes it worse and I worry what people think about me.

Been feeling really low this week. A combination of a lot of things I think. Had a meeting with my year tutor at Uni yesterday about suspending my studies until September as I feel I'm too far behind now to catch up and graduate in the summer. This has made me anxious because I feel bad that I don't feel like I can complete this year and I'll end up graduating when I'm 24 when I should have when I was 22 had I completed my original degree. It also means finding a full time job until September which I don't feel like I have the motivation to do just now. Also handing the keys back over to the letting agency for my flat that I rented with my ex. We split up in October and I lived in the flat myself up until mid November when I hit my lowest. I then moved back home and nobody has lived there since. It's not the break up that I'm feeling down about, as it was in fact me that ended the relationship, it's more the "what could have been" and the feeling of being alone. It was a lovely flat and there could have been many good times ahead in it but something in me couldn't let it happen.

I'm on the waiting list for counselling sessions and it does feel like a long wait, but knowing that I can always just pick up the phone and phone my doctor and he'll fit me in brings some sense of comfort. I know myself that there are a few changes I need to make to my lifestyle but it's difficult. The first thing is that I know I shouldn't be drinking alcohol with the way I am feeling. Every time I have done so over the past few months I have got myself into a ridiculous state then spent the whole of the next week feeling extremely low. It's more that I feel I HAVE to go on nights out with friends or they will judge me. Another thing is relationships- although I split up with my ex at the end of October, I have been involved in something really complicated from as soon as that ended. It's not good for me and I know I just need to be on my own. Just not got the motivation to do anything just now. Meant to be going out with my friend later (no alcohol involved) and she is excited about it but I just don't even want to do that. Strangely, I don't feel stupid writing this on here because of what other people have wrote. :ermm:

Sometimes it is easier talking to "strangers" on a forum rather than close friends and family as you can pick and choose when you "see" them. Alcohol is my issue as well at times, one night can lead to a few days to a week of feeling guilty and low about going out or worse it turning into a few days bender, so much so that I try to avoid it for a while and make up excuses not to go out with friends as If I dont I get pestered until I go out.

It's amazing how even a night out with friends can make you worried and nervous when afflicted with this. At the moment I find exercise is helping more and more, which was recommended by my GP as I wasn't keen on taking the drugs. Some days its a battle to do anything, other times I can go weeks and even months without having to deal with it. Then all of a sudden I feel like drowning under everything going on in life.

Guest GhostHunter

This is a stern warning to members.

If you start trolling, or generally try to take this thread off at a tangent where it doesn't belong, you'll find your posting priviledges suspended for 2 weeks.

Sounds like you're heaping extra preassure on yourself by setting your goals a wee bit too high PS. Ask yourself why it's bad to graduate at 24. Are you comparing yourself with a brother, sister or friend who is doing very well accademically? Is one of your parents overly critical and you don't want to let them down? This kind of preassure can lead to negative self defeating thoughts like "I'm never gonna be as good as so and so" or "I'm letting my parents down".

CBT (cognitive behavioral therapy) might be worth a punt.

Have you talked to your friends about your problems? If they are true friends then they won't judge you about missing a night out.

Edited by Captain Oates

Don't get too worried about the taking time out of uni thing Shapes.

I had a bad episode of anxiety and depression at the start of the third year of my degree. I spoke to the uni and they were really supportive and allowed me to take a year out.

When I was well enough I got a full time job in Tesco and worked there until I went back to uni.

To be honest I didn't think I would go back and finish my degree but I did and although I was a year older than I would have liked I've not let it get in the way of my career.

The sense of accomplishment at my graduation was one of the best feelings of my life and gave me the knowledge that no matter the damage depression tries to do to my life, I can repair it and make evertything whole again.

It'll be the same for you. Have a think what is best for you and try not to worry about what anybody else is thinking. Your anxious mind will tell you they are thinking you a quitter or a loser when they will actually be worried about you and wanting to help.

If you need a chat/advice just drop me a PM. :thumbsup:

Don't feel bad about taking time out of Uni, as others have said it does seem as if you are putting too much unnecessary pressure on yourself.

You are still young and will still be young when you graduate, I bottled out of going to Uni when I was younger and am now at the wrong side of 30 on the home straight for completing my masters in HR Management.

It doesn't matter one bit when you graduate, what's important is that you look after yourself. Talking about things helps and I find that exercise, particularly running helps me loads as it clears my mind and gives me a sense of achievement at the end.

Sometimes it's good to spend time on your own, but it's not good to shut yourself away.

Go out with your friend tonight, you will feel better for it, I promise!

It's funny you mention the football as something which helped.

I've always found that when I'm in the middle of a bad spell I lose almost total interest in most of my favourite things, including Hearts and football. I've been to games before where my mind has been in a totally different place, not even watching the game. I've also went back home just before a match as I couldn't face it.

This season I lost all interest in football between August and November and Saturday was the first game I've been to this season. It feels great to be back to my normal self and my passion for Hearts has returned 100%.

it just goes to show how powerful depression can b if it can overpower a lifelong passion like supporting the JTs!

Glad to hear you are back :thumbsup: .

I've had similar feelings with other things that I love where I totally lose interest. I find football helps, if I'm good enough to get to the game, if not sticking the radio on even if I just fall asleep, or fail to take in anything that is being said is something that I may not want to do, but it helps knowing that I've made the effort to try and do something positive. Although, I can tell when my condition is on the slide when it some how seems acceptable to try and listen to talksport :lol:

Just to clear it up I'm not casting judgement on people who can't face that sort of thing, just adding my experiences to the official JKB catharsis thread! Good luck to one and all who at times have to wrestle with the black dog

Dusk_Till_Dawn

The whole alcohol/depression thing is weird. I find that more and more I feel unusually low and anxious the day after a good drink. I've started to rationalise it by saying 'you feel tense because you were drinking last night' but whereas hangovers used to be part of the fun, they're something I now try to avoid.

chester copperpot

The whole alcohol/depression thing is weird. I find that more and more I feel unusually low and anxious the day after a good drink. I've started to rationalise it by saying 'you feel tense because you were drinking last night' but whereas hangovers used to be part of the fun, they're something I now try to avoid.

this is my big issue as well. I hate feeling shitey the next day because of alcohol. I've tried like mad to control what I drink these days, but I still have the odd lapse were I go mental and feel very low the next day. I try to turn these days into positives though as I use it to try control my drinking better, which I feel helps.

Bobby_swing_the_bar

This is a really interesting thread. Suffered from depression myself, sometimes i feel ok and sometimes i feel awful. It built up to a head back in 2007 where i would burst into tears at the slightest thing. I pushed people away and bottled everything up. Eventually i ended up getting signed off work for a month and led to me leaving my place of work. Although i was offered anti-depressants i did manage to refuse these.

I have been a lot better these past few years, but still have good days and bad days. I do find i get anxious very easily, the slightest thing can make me worry all day, go into cold sweats and stop me sleeping at night.

I would say if anyone feels they are struggling, try not to bottle it up, speak to someone about it. Don't suffer in silence as i feel that makes things worse.

You seem to be doing the right things JS. But, a couple of years ago I would have posted something similar. Are you sure you are in control? Thought I was, but I wasn't and it took a couple of shocks I would rather not repeat to get me back on track. Just what you have posted reminds me of a mental situation I was in. I really hope I'm wrong but work your support network really hard. Anyone in your support network that doesn't relish the hard work is, by definition, not part of it. If I'm wrong I apologise. Hope it all makes better sense soon though.

This is a stern warning to members.

If you start trolling, or generally try to take this thread off at a tangent where it doesn't belong, you'll find your posting priviledges suspended for 2 weeks.

Or maybe longer.

Not impressed. :down:

Or maybe longer.

Not impressed. :down:

Did I miss something?

Anyway back on topic- thanks for the replies guys. It brings a sense of comfort knowing that others are going through the same thing. I suppose with the Uni thing Captain Oates was right- my brother who is three years younger than me is at Glasgow Uni and is really clever and I constantly feel like I'm second best to him. My parents try to reassure me that's not the case but I feel like it is. My dad does put a lot of pressure on me as well. I dropped out of Stirling uni after three months because I was feeling pretty much the same as I have been the past few months. No motivation to get out of bed, go to classes. Hated the halls and hated my course. After that my dad put a lot of pressure on me to go back to uni the following September, which I did. Part of me thinks I only did that to please him.

I went out with my friend today and we had a good time but since I've been home I've just been feeling worse again. I hide myself in my room so my parents can't see that there's anything bothering me because I hate talking to them about it. It sounds daft but when I get my GSH session I feel I'll be able to talk to a complete stranger about things more than I can to my parents. Even talking to my GP helps more.

What happened? Decent thread by all accounts surely?

I'm guessing posts have been deleted. Just reading between the lines, disappointing if people are being arseholes on a thread like this. :thumbsdown:

Been feeling really low this week. A combination of a lot of things I think. Had a meeting with my year tutor at Uni yesterday about suspending my studies until September as I feel I'm too far behind now to catch up and graduate in the summer. This has made me anxious because I feel bad that I don't feel like I can complete this year and I'll end up graduating when I'm 24 when I should have when I was 22 had I completed my original degree.

I couldn't agree more about the first part and can relate to it all. I actually sent Ezio a PM the other day saying the exact same thing and even just knowing you aren't the only one that feels like that does help because that's something I've always felt but reading this thread has helped a lot.

Don't worry about what age you graduate, it's about giving yourself the best possible chance to not only do it but also enjoy it. I didn't graduate until I was 25. I had a lot of problems at school which was the start of my problems with depression, self confidence and the feeling that I just wanted to hide away because I didn't want anyone else around. I left school with nothing and it wasn't until I was 19 that I felt able to start from the beginning as up until that point I just couldn't have done it. It's all about what you feel comfortable with, that's the main thing. The difficult thing is that so many people don't understand and it's the feeling with that and others things you said that instead of being able to do what you want, its the feeling of having to do things because others expect it. Make sure anything you do is because you want to do it.

It's funny you mention the football as something which helped.

That was something that helped me a lot especially for a lot of years going back. Going to Tynecastle or the away games was the one place where I felt I could be myself, so probably another reason why Hearts mean so much to me. Think it was that sense of identity.

That was something that helped me a lot especially for a lot of years going back. Going to Tynecastle or the away games was the one place where I felt I could be myself, so probably another reason why Hearts mean so much to me. Think it was that sense of identity.

The feeling of sitting there and not really caring if we won or lost just made me even more aware that something was very wrong to be honest.

It doesn't really matter what, or who, was deleted.

If folk want to make arses of themselves leave them to it.

Just a guess but I noticed: Guest_Tony Benn_*

On this thread? Hadn't seen him post on here unless that was the one that got removed that you sae?

It doesn't really matter what, or who, was deleted.

If folk want to make arses of themselves leave them to it.

This!

Let them make an arse of themselves and then the rest of the sensible people can sit back and watch them get launched as a result.

Came across this website earlier this evening:

moodgym.anu.edu.au

It's called MoodGym and it explains depression and anxiety in a very readable way. Also seems to offer step by step CBT if you want to try it.

It's another Aussie site, like BeyondBlue and appears to be one of many. Australia really seems to have its finger on the pulse when it comes to mental health, certainly compared to over here.

I went to the doctors recently and the wifie thinks I have depression.

Cannae really see it myself but I have a lot of symptoms. Random like and they gave me this stuff to download and stick on the Iphone.

I kept on thinking a few weeks back that my head was gonnae explode when I was in bed if I fell asleep, was shit scared thinking I was going to die.

Died of embarrassment telling the doc that like, but that as well as adrenalin shots through the body when sleeping is anxiety which is brought on through depression.

Edited by Jezza

Vancouver Canucks are participants in a web page dealing with mental illness particularly depression. This is in the form of a memorial for a former Canuck player Rip Rypien who suffered from severe depression, and subsequently at 27 took his own life.

The page is mindcheck.ca. It may have some additional information for anyone suffering from depression

southside1874

Vancouver Canucks are participants in a web page dealing with mental illness particularly depression. This is in the form of a memorial for a former Canuck player Rip Rypien who suffered from severe depression, and subsequently at 27 took his own life.

The page is mindcheck.ca. It may have some additional information for anyone suffering from depression

depression is the new cool, its all about accepting it. :thumbsup:

Came across this website earlier this evening:

moodgym.anu.edu.au

It's called MoodGym and it explains depression and anxiety in a very readable way. Also seems to offer step by step CBT if you want to try it.

It's another Aussie site, like BeyondBlue and appears to be one of many. Australia really seems to have its finger on the pulse when it comes to mental health, certainly compared to over here.

Got to agree FD, I came over here nearly 6 years ago am in that time I've had more help and support of my gp here than in the previous 15 years that I struggled with at home.

They really are quite vociferous in support here especially for men as they know we don't like talking about it.

Edited by teepee

Guest Bilel Mohsni

My mum suffers from depression. She was treated very badly by my dad. Throughout my teens, after they divorced, she would come home from work and then just lie on the settee and cry until she fell asleep. Same routine for years. Didn't matter what you did, nothing could make her happy. She took all kinds of medication but she eventually stopped becasue she felt that they just dulled her emotions and made her just accept that things were shit rather than doing something about the things that are shit. She beat it on the whole by changeing her life one step at a time and to this day only suffers very occasional and mild bouts of it.

See the comments about needing good family and friends? That is right on the button by the way. See if you know someone who suffers from it, go the extra mile to support them when you can and do not just wait for them to ask for help. If they do pluck up the courage to ask for help though, make some time for them because even just giving them an understanding face to unload towards can do a hell of a lot.

Edited by Robert Finlayson Cook

My mum suffers from depression. She was treated very badly by my dad. Throughout my teens, after they divorced, she would come home from work and then just lie on the settee and cry until she fell asleep. Same routine for years. Didn't matter what you did, nothing could make her happy. She took all kinds of medication but she eventually stopped becasue she felt that they just dulled her emotions and made her just accept that things were shit rather than doing something about the things that are shit. She beat it on the whole by changeing her life one step at a time and to this day only suffers very occasional and mild bouts of it.

See the comments about needing good family and friends? That is right on the button by the way. See if you know someone who suffers from it, go the extra mile to support them when you can and do not just wait for them to ask for help. If they do pluck up the courage to ask for help though, make some time for them because even just giving them an understanding face to unload towards can do a hell of a lot.

Glad your mum beat it Mothy.

Second paragraph of your post is bang on the money too :thumbsup:

I went to the doctors recently and the wifie thinks I have depression.

Cannae really see it myself but I have a lot of symptoms. Random like and they gave me this stuff to download and stick on the Iphone.

I kept on thinking a few weeks back that my head was gonnae explode when I was in bed if I fell asleep, was shit scared thinking I was going to die.

Died of embarrassment telling the doc that like, but that as well as adrenalin shots through the body when sleeping is anxiety which is brought on through depression.

Jezza,

It sounds like you are suffering from anxiety which is when our bodies are producing too much adrenaline. Its our fight or flight reflex.

Your mind is telling your body there is danger so your body is producing adrenaline (to fight the woolly mammoth, run away from the sabretoothbtiger etc.) but there is no real danger as its all in the mind.

Anxiety causes depression and depression causes anxiety.

Anxiety can be a bit of a vicious circle because as you start to feel the physical elements( sweating, heart beating fast) this nakes you have even more negative thoughts which then leads to more physical elements. Eventually you change your behaviours as a result and dtart avoiding situations and places.

Methods like deep breathing, progressive muscular relaxation and exercise are good treatments for anxiety and have all helped me in the past.

Hope this helps mate :thumbsup:

Don't know if these self help sites have been mentioned but they include lots of material using evidence based techniques including Cognitive Behaviour Therapy:

www.getselfhelp.co.uk

www.moodjuice.co.uk

Obviously if you are too anxious or depressed to concentrate on self help materials you should seek help from your GP.

• 6 months later...
Juan Rom?n Riquelme

Guys, has anyone consistently had bouts of depression etc over a number of years? That's where I'm at at the minute. Been to the doc a few times, been prescribed pills that had absolutely no effect. I can feel it creeping up on me again even though I try and and stave it off and I know that if I end up where I've been before it could be take months or years for me to feel better. Just seems to go in small peaks and massive troughs. Its starting to make me physically ill.

Feel a bit balls to the wall talking about it on here but I really don't feel like there's anyone I can talk to or relate to in my life about it so hoping someone might have experienced similar.

Edited by Captain Haddock

ArcticJambo

My advice would be to have a look at the 'Have a Right Good Moan Thread' ... bound to cheer YOU up I'm sure. :unsure:

Juan Rom?n Riquelme

Eh? Not sure if that YOU has some significance I don't understand or you're just RANDomly emphasiSING syllables like AL Pacino?

Pacinoshout.jpg

ArcticJambo

I dunno ... I tend to be in the not particularly convinced camp however I can see how it's possible to get negative about things/life, especially in this day in age ... the here today gone tomorrow world. There's plenty of times when I can't be bothered but plough on all the same. I don't necessarily think the internet is a good thing, and a good break from it would likely do ME wonders however ... I'm addicted.

Try something completely different ... something that involves the outdoors and getting away ... something that helps others or improves something, something voluntary, that'll hopefully also make you feel better about yourself.

Juan Rom?n Riquelme

Mate, its a mental illness we're talking about here. If I could just go kayaking or some shit I'd have done that by now.

shaun.lawson

ArcticJambo: be quiet please. :rolleyes:

Captain: sorry to hear this man. It's very good news that you're recognising the signs of it creeping up on you though - a lot of sufferers ignore these and end up knee deep in the brown stuff. You mention having been prescribed anti-depressants in the past; thing is though, have you had any counselling? If you haven't, you really must: how can you expect to deal with this problem without getting to the root cause of it?

If you've had this on and off, on and off over a number of years, it seems to me you need a thorough, holistic approach to dealing with it. Not just medication (maybe not medication at all, though that's for you and a GP to decide); but a change in your whole attitude to it really, meaning better diet, more exercise, regimented hours and so on. And counselling above all.

Depression's an absolute ***** of an illness. It's come and gone with me for many years now, and I had another episode with it a few weeks back. Deep down though, I know it's my responsibility to look after myself properly and keep it under control; things can slip at times, but I've got it back under control again now, and you need to do the same. With help, with support, and through talking and other therapies.

ArcticJambo

Mate, its a mental illness we're talking about here. If I could just go kayaking or some shit I'd have done that by now.

Aye okay ... good luck then. Didn't suggest kayaying ... no wonder you reacted as you did. How 'bout we give each other pelters ... if you think that will help ?

ArcticJambo

Captain: sorry to hear this man. It's very good news that you're recognising the signs of it creeping up on you though - a lot of sufferers ignore these and end up knee deep in the brown stuff. You mention having been prescribed anti-depressants in the past; thing is though, have you had any counselling? If you haven't, you really must: how can you expect to deal with this problem without getting to the root cause of it?

If you've had this on and off, on and off over a number of years, it seems to me you need a thorough, holistic approach to dealing with it. Not just medication (maybe not medication at all, though that's for you and a GP to decide); but a change in your whole attitude to it really, meaning better diet, more exercise, regimented hours and so on. And counselling above all.

Depression's an absolute ***** of an illness. It's come and gone with me for many years now, and I had another episode with it a few weeks back. Deep down though, I know it's my responsibility to look after myself properly and keep it under control; things can slip at times, but I've got it back under control again now, and you need to do the same. With help, with support, and through talking and other therapies.

is basically what I said, but in less words ... :rolleyes:

Juan Rom?n Riquelme

Thanks Shaun.

Tbh, I've tried getting more sleep, I've started running but they don't really help much when I start to feel badly. I literally have spent months at a time where the only thing I've left my bed for is to go to work or uni and then come home and go back to sleep. I was close to seriously hurting myself I think, before my mum eventually forced me to go the Doctor's a couple of years ago. I'm really not sure where I'd start if I went to talk to someone. The few times I've went to my GP its been a five minute in and out job with him prescribing me tablets each time without ever really listening to anything I had to say.

shaun.lawson

Thanks Shaun.

Tbh, I've tried getting more sleep, I've started running but they don't really help much when I start to feel badly. I literally have spent months at a time where the only thing I've left my bed for is to go to work or uni and then come home and go back to sleep. I was close to seriously hurting myself I think, before my mum eventually forced me to go the Doctor's a couple of years ago. I'm really not sure where I'd start if I went to talk to someone.

Hey, I know talking about it with a professional is scary. It is for many depressives. But what you've been trying to do repeatedly is just paper over the cracks; you've never dealt with the reason behind the problem, meaning it's bound to just keep recurring. And it's like you're spending your time thinking "this doesn't work, and that doesn't work", but running away from the one thing you must do which really can help.

You can't do this by yourself, man: you have to let people in and get expert help. What a counsellor will do, just by letting you talk and asking you questions, is clear your head little by little: and once you understand whatever underneath or in the past is causing this, then you'll be well on the way to learning how to manage and control it in the future. But right now, while being easy on and not giving yourself a hard time, you must be brave and confront your fears. That you're brave enough to discuss it on here means you're part of the way there already, mate. :thumbsup:

PS. On your edit: DEMAND that he refers you to a psychologist. There might be affordable counsellors you can find privately in Scotland too: the system's better up there, or at least, I thought it was?

Edited by shaun.lawson

Guys, has anyone consistently had bouts of depression etc over a number of years? That's where I'm at at the minute. Been to the doc a few times, been prescribed pills that had absolutely no effect. I can feel it creeping up on me again even though I try and and stave it off and I know that if I end up where I've been before it could be take months or years for me to feel better. Just seems to go in small peaks and massive troughs. Its starting to make me physically ill.

Feel a bit balls to the wall talking about it on here but I really don't feel like there's anyone I can talk to or relate to in my life about it so hoping someone might have experienced similar.

I've suffered with depression for the most part of the last 2 and a half years. I'm in the same position as you in that I've gone through numerous different prescribed SSRIs without any of them helping.

I didn't know whether to post this or not because I've got nothing positive to say about my own experience, but Shaun's spot on with his advice: ask to be referred to a psychiatrist/psychologist by your GP. There's so many other treatment options - here's hoping you find the right one!

Guest GhostHunter

Haddock - try Moodjuice site - http://www.moodjuice.scot.nhs.uk/mildmoderate/entry.asp - then make an appointment with a different doctor and properly explain how you feel and the thoughts you've had.

If the tablets they are giving you aren't helping, tell them and ask for something different, though I'd always encourage you to properly talk to someone...