Your first memory

The Comedian

A thread in the terrace got me thinking about this, just how early in life do people remember back to?

I remember the oil wells being on fire during the first gulf war which puts my age at 5 years old in 1990.

Napoleon  Wilson

I think its of having the chicken pox and not feeling very well at all.

The first pieces of music i remember hearing was from the Genesis album, Invisible Touch. Still listen to it to this day.

I remember my mum going into hospital for my wee brother being born.

I was 1 month shy of being 3.

I also remember the summer before that being really hot. So I'd be 2 1/2.

And I struggle to remember what I was doing yesterday. :blink:

I remember going to a playgroup fancy dress party as Worzel Gummidge and my twin sister was Aunt Sally aged 3.

Carl Fredrickson

My earliest memory is of us being locked out of our car with the keys inside it at the car park at Edinburgh Zoo. My folks said I was 2 at the time but doubted my memory of it - putting it down to the story being retold. That was until i was able to provide details of the incident that others had forgot!

I too now struggle to mind what I had for my tea yesterday :rolleyes:

My earliest memory is of us being locked out of our car with the keys inside it at the car park at Edinburgh Zoo. My folks said I was 2 at the time but doubted my memory of it - putting it down to the story being retold. That was until i was able to provide details of the incident that others had forgot!

I too now struggle to mind what I had for my tea yesterday :rolleyes:

Similar.

I can remember a photographer coming to the house and taking pictures of me and my sisters. Years later, my mum too doubted my memory until I reminded her that we were sat on a maroon candlewick bedspread thrown over a table. (you can't see either in the b&w photo). Something mum had forgotten and my sisters didn't know. I was 18 months at the time. Christ knows what happened, I've got to write an awfy lot of thing down these days.

I remember my Dad taking me to see my sister when she was born. I was 2 yrs 9mths.

Then I remember the Christmas after that, four months later, quite clearly, I had just turned three.

Nowadays I suffer from what I call the hereafter, I walk into a room and wonder "what am I here after?".

Getting driven to hospital sitting on my mum's lap (in the passenger seat!) with a towel wrapped round my hand after tripping up while holding a milk bottle. I was 3 1/2 and still have the scar on my left palm 40-odd years on!

Millport beach late 50's building a sand castle which wasn't there the next day as the tide had washed it away. Tragedy for someone so young. :(

I always have a memory of staying in the high flats at Calder, and an orange bed cover my Auntie had. Weird memories to have, especially as I would've only been at most 1 year old. :huh:

I remember my Da having to hold my body over the draining board while my Ma was washing my hair in the sink and learning every swear word in the English language going round the Royal Musselburgh when my Da had a day off.

So that was before I was 4.

I also remember an erse kicking contest with my Da, during which a bit of coal fell out the fire and the Auld man bends over to pick it up and I caught him squarely in the plums and he hit his head on the mantelpiece clutching his baws. At least he forgave me, unlike John White, Spurs, who to this day he crosses his legs when mentioned, because the auld man stopped one of his shots with his nads.

I can remember several things going back to when I was just over two years old... :blink:

Like others, I now struggle to remember what happened this morning, never mind last week... :sad:

Sorry, what was the question again...? :unsure:

I always have a memory of staying in the high flats at Calder, and an orange bed cover my Auntie had. Weird memories to have, especially as I would've only been at most 1 year old. :huh:

I don't believe you.

I think my first memory is getting in trouble at Oxgangs nursery for climbing over the small dividing wall between the nursery and primary school play areas. I wanted to see my big brother.

I spent hard time in the building block area after being caught. :sob:

scots civil war

during which a bit of coal fell out the fire and the Auld man bends over to pick it up and I caught him squarely in the plums and he hit his head on the mantelpiece clutching his baws..........

sore one that

mines,chicken pox nitemare at largs on holiday.....was at the time of the poseidon adventure release in the seventies.

do remember peeing my shorts at primary school n all......oh,and the first day as well when im crying as the mum waves goodbye at the classroom door....oh ffs

I remember seeing Star Wars when I was 3 (and a bit). I remember making my mum sit through it 3 times, and we had to leave midway through the 4th showing as she was feeling sick due to lack of fresh air, otherwise I was quite happy to just stay there :D

Have quite a good childhood memory.

Memory is a funny old thing.

I'm willing to wager that a fair proportion of the memories shared so far were actually put there by stories told by parents or photos looked at years after the event.

I remember two birthday cakes made by my aunt at my 3rd birthday, one the shape of a rabbit, one an owl. Spoke to her at xmas and she remembers the rabbit but not the owl. There's a very good chance I got the owl a different year but looked at pictures at the same time later on. Still, in my memory its fixed that they both happened when I was 3.

I doubt its my first memory but I do remember in September 1939 being sent out of the house,while the adults listened to the radio, and some of the other kids outside were talking about a war starting. Didn't seem a big deal to me at the time, but soon grew in to realising how momentous an occasion it was.

Sheriff Fatman

I remember showing off to my mother at the age of 3 and a half by running along a wall as fast as I could. Of course I tripped up and went head first into the corner of another wall. My most vivid memory of the event is being in the Sick Kids and the doctor telling me that she could see my skull through the cut on my forehead.

Can mind being bathed in the kitchen sink. Can't of been very old, less than 3 I'd imagine. Can mind being in a buggy once. Can mind the two occasions of splitting my head open when I was 3 and being in sick kids at 4 anaw.

I remember splitting my ankle open at age 2. Me and my sister were sitting on the edge of a table, she jumped off and tipped the thing over with me still on it. 5 stitches at the Western General.............Bitch, i'm sure she meant it :verymad:

Sitting in a buggy, dressed in yellow trousers, studying goldfish on the top of a roof, in Goldbergs.

I am the Walrus!

Sitting in a buggy, dressed in yellow trousers, studying goldfish on the top of a roof, in Goldbergs.

I am the Walrus!

Ah Goldbergs!

I remember having a go on the helicopter ride at the entrance to Goldbergs.

Can't remember goldfish on the roof though :lol:

I'm willing to wager that a fair proportion of the memories shared so far were actually put there by stories told by parents or photos looked at years after the event.

I remember two birthday cakes made by my aunt at my 3rd birthday, one the shape of a rabbit, one an owl. Spoke to her at xmas and she remembers the rabbit but not the owl. There's a very good chance I got the owl a different year but looked at pictures at the same time later on. Still, in my memory its fixed that they both happened when I was 3.

My mum has a photo of me when I was 18 months old taken in my aunts house. when I was younger I could vividly recall the picture being taken much to my mum's amazement - she didn't believe me until i told her I wasn't making it up and I could remember that just before the picture was taken I'd been eating a banana. she was gobsmacked by that. even now I can recall from that same time ( a summer hol down south) being carried on my dad's shoulders across a cornfield because my feet were hurting.

Definitely. My sister used to always say how well she remembered and liked one of our relatives who had died when she was young. It turned out that she was only one when he died. No chance she actually remembers him. Instead, she'll rememeber people talking about him and will have and now have the "memory" of him and think it's real.

I have hardly any early memories. I remember a couple of specific things that happened when I was at nursery. Other than that I don't think I can remember anything before Primary One. Seems like most people seem to remember more that happened when they were that age than I can.

It's quite funny that a lot of individuals first memories are bad ones, usually ending in hospital visits!

My earliest memory would have been when I was 2. Came home from Blackford Pond with my Grandad with a collection of sticks. My mum then chased me round the flat trying to get me to have a bath. I was eventually caught :down:

Another memory I have is when I was bursting for the loo, think I was 4. Thomas the Tank Engine was starting on the tv so I ran to the bathroom to try and not miss the beginning but slipped on the wet bathroom tiles and smacked my forehead off the toilet seat. Ended up going to the hospital for stitches. Missed the whole episode of Thomas the Tank :down:

I 2/3, somewhere around there. Looking up at the surgeon's table lights. Lopped off my foreskin. :unsure:

It's quite funny that a lot of individuals first memories are bad ones, usually ending in hospital visits!

My earliest memory would have been when I was 2. Came home from Blackford Pond with my Grandad with a collection of sticks. My mum then chased me round the flat trying to get me to have a bath. I was eventually caught :down:

Another memory I have is when I was bursting for the loo, think I was 4. Thomas the Tank Engine was starting on the tv so I ran to the bathroom to try and not miss the beginning but slipped on the wet bathroom tiles and smacked my forehead off the toilet seat. Ended up going to the hospital for stitches. Missed the whole episode of Thomas the Tank :down:

This ... because of the trauma. Next memories after the jerry's helmet episode was standing behind dad as he filled up the snowmobile when I was 4 ... overfilled, pulled out too quickly and bang, face full of gasoline for yours truly. A few months later sliding on s snowmobile windshield and didn't stop in time ... ended up piling into a bridge made up pf 45 gallon drums welded together - result KO and a welding rod through the side of my mouth (kids pulled me back up the hill on another sled but laid me head down hill on the sled ... you can imagine the scene that awaited my mother. Freaked.

I remember going on the train from Bonnyrigg to Peebles or Waverley...and Bob Mayne crying on his first day at Primary School. :ninja:

I copied my big brother and put a pussy willow up my nose. When I tried to pull it out I pushed it further up. I forgot about it and followed my mum to nursery.

A few days passed and I had a sore swollen nose. An amused nurse at the sick kids outpatients dept fixed me out.

My 2nd earliest memory involves peeing myself in primary 1 or 2, I'm not sure which.

Archived