Would you play for free?

number-16

A Hearts scout has spotted you playing fives and decides you're good enough to pull on the famous maroon. However, after the scout recommends you to the club the news comes back that we can't afford to bring in any more paid staff. The situation is this; you have the opportunity to train and play with the Hearts first team squad but in order to do so you have to give up your job and do all the training that the rest of the team do. All kit is provided free; gym membership, travel and food is provided - there is no direct cost to you of playing for Hearts.

Given the above scenario, would you play for Hearts for free?

A nice thought but I suspect that there would be a huge stand off between myself/agent and the club due to my imagine rights

southside1874

A Hearts scout has spotted you playing fives and decides you're good enough to pull on the famous maroon. However, after the scout recommends you to the club the news comes back that we can't afford to bring in any more paid staff. The situation is this; you have the opportunity to train and play with the Hearts first team squad but in order to do so you have to give up your job and do all the training that the rest of the team do. All kit is provided free; gym membership, travel and food is provided - there is no direct cost to you of playing for Hearts.

Not while someone like Clum or others ****ed about at the club picking up wages for no effort?? In all honesty though, I feel that some folk do work for Hearts for no pay and kick every ball. I also think there are a lot of Ryan Stevensons out there that find it difficult.

gorgie rd eh11

Or you've signed for HMFC on decent contract despite the widespread belief that things are going to go t*ts up financialy for Hearts in the not to distant future. The worst comes to the worst and the well runs dry. What do you do? Do you or your agent go greeting to the monkeys or do you go and prove to possible future employers that you are worth a punt?

yes

i'd get the missus to go out and do a few extra shifts

after we got into europe and won the cup on the back of my signing, i'm sure i'd get a wee bonus

then when one of the top six in england or barca or real madrid came into sign me, i would let hearts have some/all of the signing on fee (?20 million or thereabouts)

then after years of gracing the top leagues and winning countless trophies, i would go back to hearts and play for nothing again as a repayment for them giving me the opportunity in the first place

thumbsup.gif

Juan Rom?n Riquelme

Yes. I think I'd literally burst with pride if I walked out on to the pitch at Tynecastle as a player for Hearts.

jong-tae-se-crying-2010-south-africa-world-cup-vs-brazil.jpg

coatbridgejambo

Yes. I think I'd literally burst with pride if I walked out on to the pitch at Tynecastle as a player for Hearts.

This

As long as my boss continued to pay my salary, lovely thought, but if it was my main source of income, nope, family comes first every time .

Fans like to trot out this scenario, to players it's a job, I'm sure once we bring the wage bill come down to a level comparable with other SPL clubs, we will start seeing players who in the past would have signed for HMFC , may decide for the same wages they may be better of career wise at Aberdeen or Hibs, something that in recent history hasn't happened very often.

southside1874

As long as my boss continued to pay my salary, lovely thought, but if it was my main source of income, nope, family comes first every time .

Fans like to trot out this scenario, to players it's a job, I'm sure once we bring the wage bill come down to a level comparable with other SPL clubs, we will start seeing players who in the past would have signed for HMFC , may decide for the same wages they may be better of career wise at Aberdeen or Hibs, something that in recent history hasn't happened very often.

family comes first??? The amount of girls thats been rejected because they had affiliations to Hibs or Celtic., The influence my dad had over me becoming a Jambo, the fact that Hearts are a constant in my life whereas I will change Jobs and friends, girlfriends, My music tastes differ from time to time but the team I love is always the same. Try to shake off being a Jambo and get back to methumbsup.gif I want that same commitment from the players

i have nothing to add

family comes first??? The amount of girls thats been rejected because they had affiliations to Hibs or Celtic., The influence my dad had over me becoming a Jambo, the fact that Hearts are a constant in my life whereas I will change Jobs and friends, girlfriends, My music tastes differ from time to time but the team I love is always the same. Try to shake off being a Jambo and get back to methumbsup.gif I want that same commitment from the players

To me , this is what it means to be a jambo.

If i was any good at playing , I would pay hearts to wear the famous maroon

Yes. But I wouldn't play for another team under those circumstances.

southside1874

To me , this is what it means to be a jambo.

If i was any good at playing , I would pay hearts to wear the famous maroon

I doubt I could do better than the players just now so therefore I would abstain. However, the commitment from the players couldn't be better just now but this is down to the fact that Sergio has been pushing folk to the hilt to discover their commitment. This cuts the wheat from the shalf and we get folk coming out and saying they can't compete or deal with the situation. The amount of effort that Sergio and his coaching staff have put in to achieve this is commendable. This is what we need to get rid of our wage bill and its going to piss some players off, but its required and we need to know who is playing for Hearts or playing for themselves.Its great that we have had a turn of results and the players are obviously doing their bit. When anyone works in a team at work and we all commit then we can achieve, if the goal is the same and the effort is rewarded then its simple. As much as I will get shot down in flames for this, but you don't do things for financial rewards. You do things for the love. If you do something because you care then financial rewards may come to you if the finance doesn't come then you have still done something you care about. You are not professional without this ethic.

Creepy Lurker

In that situation? Yes, probably.

If, on the other hand, I was a paid professional already at HMFC, living the lifestyle of a professional footballer at SPL level, and the club suddenly ceased to pay my wages, the situation could be different.

I think that that's a more interesting question to ponder than whether or not, as someone with no club affiliation, I'd take the once in a lifetime opportunity to play professional football for the club I love( or, even if it was another team, to put myself in the shop window). I suspect that I'd be tempted to down tools, but worried that it could impact negatively on how other managers would see me.

I wd be a wee bit worried that our scouting system was picking up players from 5 a side games but on the other hand that would explain a lot of our signings.

But taking the question on face value, I would pay for the honour :thumbsup:

if I was good enough to play professionally, no I wouldn't play for free. As a fan, of course I would.

If I had been paid a **** load of money for 3-4 seasons that the club really couldnt afford and prob more than I really was worth.

If I had a mad owner subsidising the club to the tune of ?5M + pa.

If my wages were being late rather than never turning up.

If I knew the directors were trying their hardest to resolve the situation.

If I knew the transfer window was less than a fortnight away.

If I knew other clubs might sniff around, take advantage of the clubs situation, potentially take the p on a transfer fee, which I could use as a bargaining tool to offset to a higher salary.

I might not play for free but I would still turn up to training and play.

I'd also make sure I didnt have a thick as mince WAG incapable of earning who would spend half my salary on fake tan, peroxide and a boob job. Wait a minute?

Jambof3tornado

Mostly shite!!!

chester copperpot

A nice thought but I suspect that there would be a huge stand off between myself/agent and the club due to my imagine rights

You always make me smile GA, brilliant.

As long as Hearts are happy to play me every week with my bad lungs, gammy leg and 2 left feet then I will be delighted to play for Hearts for phree. :thumbsup:

As long as Hearts are happy to play me every week with my bad lungs, gammy leg and 2 left feet then I will be delighted to play for Hearts for phree. :thumbsup:

So your Nade?!

If they agreed to pay my rent as well, I would play for absolutely nothing. If I am not earning, I would still need to pay for somewhere to live.

I would quit my job in a flash and play for Hearts. I would never transfer anywhere else, and I would give my all for the club.

I'm still holding out hope that this might happen. I know I'm good enough, my virtual pro on FIFA is rated 85/100. :whistling:

Play for free?

I'd give my left bollock to play for Hearts.

I think if I ever scored for them too I'd break down in sheer emotional joy.

The last few responses kind of sum up whhy I have **** all sympathy for Ryan Stevenson.

That said, I'm maybe a bit different in that I've done worked for free in other jobs before: when they cut the TA pay when I was at university I went for six months without pay and also when I interned for a politician two days a week while I was a student. Perhpas skewed since student funding is more than JSA mind you.

Malinga the Swinga

Given that i'm almost 50 and the only pace I can muster is slow, I would reckon the scout would need to be certified insane. However, if that offer arrives, I would play for free for the remaining 8 years of my playing career, retiting when I get over 55, and then go back and write my story, earning the amount I would need to repay debts from 8 year career.

Not really realistic though, as I am a supporter, and to these guys, it is a job.

Imagine you're in the position of KK this time last year.

Packed Tynie, sell out crowd, expectations, time drawing to a close and then you pop up and do what he did.

You immediately duck and dive under every Hearts players congratulations while running up the touchline of the Wheatfield while kissing the badge repeatedly.

Then you arrive at the Roseburn and give the biggest GIRFUY to the tramps, running the whole lengh of the touchline at only arms lengh from them. Then you get to section N and just collapse among the throngs of invading fans, while still giving it the :greggy: to the Roseburn.

A red card or booking awaits.

Why..............., Hearts would be earning income from my playing, I would only play for free if they let the fans in for free

Archived