worst ever Hearts defender

BigAlim

• Replies 156
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Petric was so bad that even his half chance on the edge of the box v Stuttgart is now remembered as a missed tap in from one yard out.

Petric was so bad that even his half chance on the edge of the box v Stuttgart is now remembered as a missed tap in from one yard out.

Broke my heart when he missed it though.

Johanes de Silentio

Crawford Boyd

David Winnie

Jim Denny

Brian McNeill

Colin More

Stuart Gauld

Jim Denny was food in the '79/80 promotion season - '80/81 was just hellish for everyone! :down:

Lithuania are nowhere near the level of Scotland but you are correct.

Where's the Darren Barr nominations?

Agree regarding Darren Barr. A player so bad that he can't get a game even as a sub.

Petric gets my vote as the worst, though as Buffalo Bill says, he cost a fortune in transfer fee, wages, and eventual contract termination.

Petric and Kevin James were demonstrated at their worst in the 6-2 defeat by the vermin.

Now, I remember Stewart McLaren getting MASSIVE stick from our fans in The Shed - no-one else seems to remember this, though?

Anyone confirm this?

Apparently, Chopper is a jambo now!

McLaren was more a central defensive midfielder for us. Did a decent job in the first division for us. Good surname as well... :smiliz64:

Gordan Petric has to be up there. Remember him looking as if he was running backwards against Celtic I think. However, his near namesake Martin Petras, who played under Rix,was abysmal and my nomination for worst defender.

Crawford Boyd

David Winnie

Jim Denny

Brian McNeill

Colin More

Stuart Gauld

no chance of a pieceful sleep tonight reading that horror list :smiliz21::smiliz21:

Oh,and Don Murray

Beat me to it. Came with all kinds of press about what he'd done/been down at Cardiff and was as hopelessly out of his depth as I've seen. And that includes Kevin James, Petric and David Winnie.

Regal Kingston

Fraser Wishart didn't try and leg for a Hearts side that simply went through the motions and almost ended up in the First Division. I remember a game where he simply refused to run faster than jogging pace - yet to some people he's regarded as a hero of the game.

Petric cost us about ?1M in transfer fees and wages. Pound for pound, the worst piece of business in the club's history along with the Bosnian Bullet.

Kenny Milne was terrible.

The White Cockade

Jim Denny was food in the '79/80 promotion season - '80/81 was just hellish for everyone! :down:

No wonder he lost weight!

From my youth, Frank Liddell;he was a tryer but not much good.

Big Frank was all right.

winston churchill

Did he not score the winner one mid-week that took us back up.I also remember the fence at the front of the shed being pulled down for the pitch invasion.

Did he not score the winner one mid-week that took us back up.I also remember the fence at the front of the shed being pulled down for the pitch invasion.

Scored against Airdrie(?) on a Wednesday night iirc. Frank was a good enough defender for the first division.

Scored against Airdrie(?) on a Wednesday night iirc. Frank was a good enough defender for the first division.

That goal won us the first division title. :smiliz19:

I always thought he was the spitting image of Bobby Ewing from Dallas!!!

Johanes de Silentio

McLaren was more a central defensive midfielder for us. Did a decent job in the first division for us. Good surname as well... :smiliz64:

Aye, but in his first season McLaren played sweeper behind big Roddie McDonald,* and it wasn't working too well, but very little was at the time. :(

McLaren did better for us later in a defensive midfield position, though, as you say.

*We signed McDonald from Celtic when they stole Aberdeen's Willie Garner from under our noses - we got the better end of the deal there! :thumbsup:

Willie Garner - what a fat lump of useless shite he was! :lol:

Aye I was one of the first on the pitch that night.

Managed to buy a bottle of Pomange near the Haymarket because the queues in the offies were huge. There was bottles and cans going about like mad and everyone was pished.

School was a bugger the next day though

Johanes de Silentio

IIRC it was a bullet of a header from a corner :rolleyes: Gorgie road end

Now - was it not from a corner by the much-maligned Archie Whyte?

Now - was it not from a corner by the much-maligned Archie Whyte?

I don't remember Archie Whyte at all, no recollection whatsoever.

Johanes de Silentio

I don't remember Archie Whyte at all, no recollection whatsoever.

Lucky you - a ?15,000 signing from Oxford Utd, either by Ormond or Moncur - total shyte!

stirlingshirejambo

Stuart Gauld was pretty pesh back in the 80s

No he wasn't Bambi was half decent. Not great but certainly not the worst

My back 4 from hell would have to be David Winnie, Graeme Hogg, Kevin James and Fraser Wishart.

That's ******* harrowing :(

Glamorgan Jambo

Nothing wrong with my Avatar in the First Division. Cracking header to win us the title on the first and only night I've been on the pitch at Tynecastle. :smiliz19: :smiliz19:

Stewart Mclaren was a midfield 'destroyer' if I remember correctly rather than a defender.

Joint winners for me are Petric and Crawford Boyd.

Malcolm Tucker

Folk are actually suggesting Zaliukas, and being serious about it?

Some people on this thread need taken away and executed in front of their familes.

Some people on this thread need taken away and executed in front of their familes.

Agreed. Take a look at the Times interview with Lennon after Saturday's game...' Zaliukas had a great game for them at centre-half' Lennon is probably a better judge than most posters on here.

Jam Tarts 1874

Scored a league winning goal for us against Airdrie - top man!

Petras, Zaliukas, Bouzid and Barasa getting mentions on this thread... :rofl:

Funny yet totally unsurprising. I'm willing to wager most of them are border-line simpletons with IQ's barely reaching their shoe-size.

Worst defender in my lifetime? Leclerq...Petric for purely monetary reasons, he wasn't that bad a defender, we just spent an obscene amount of money on an average defender, that was the main problem.

My most hated defender in my lifetime? Jamie McAllister. :smiliz46:

Jam Tarts 1874

Stuart Gauld was pretty pesh back in the 80s

He demanded more cash from Mercer when he got into the first team.

Went on to be a star in Ireland after getting a 10 year ban from Scottish football for thumping a referee in a Sunday league game in which his brother was playing. Those were the days! lol!

Gordan Petric :yucky:

This!

IMO JJs worst signing ever. Still haven't forgiven him (petric) for his sitter against Stuggart, which would have given us the best win in Yurope ever :down:

Johanes de Silentio

He demanded more cash from Mercer when he got into the first team.

Went on to be a star in Ireland after getting a 10 year ban from Scottish football for thumping a referee in a Sunday league game in which his brother was playing. Those were the days! lol!

If I remember this right, he was on ?80 a week basic, and asked for a ?15 raise - we offered him an extra fiver! :lol:

He want to an Irish club shortly afterwards - I think he was a Musselburgh lad, maybe.

Gauld was a trier with a decent attitude, but he was a long streak of pishy water.

And some folk need to wake up and smell the coffee. Zaliukas has cost us more times in the last few seasons than any other player. I've recently watched the season dvd's from 2 and 3 years ago, lost count how many times his lack of positioning or half heartless passes go to opposition players and cost us, loads of games where you hear things like "and, mistake by Zaliukas!" or "very slack defending by Zaliukas" and such like.

I'll always support any player during a match wearing a Hearts jersey but, if folk are honest... there's almost a sharp intake of breath around the ground when the ball goes near him, and a huge sigh out if he does what he has to do correctly. Sorry, i see it all around me at games.

First thought was Kucharski....or Kucarthorse as I liked to call him.

Then thought about Barassa...who looked like a Henchman from a Bond film.

Then I thought McKenna......his positional sense was atrocious ;)

But has to be Petric. His miss against Stuttgart....if only.........if only.........

My old man was pretty mellow when it came to Hearts in the bad old days. There were a couple that frustrated him as I recall but he despised Crawford Boyd with a passion.

So I'll go with that.

Archived