'Hearts cutbacks could be aided by expiry of 19 players' contracts'

jambo191

My link

Hearts player contract expiry

January 2012: Rudi Skacel, Janos Balogh.

Summer 2012: Eggert Jonsson, Suso Santana, Kevin Kyle, Stephen Elliot, David Obua, Calum Elliott (currently on loan to Dundee), Ryan Stevenson, Jason Thomson (currently on loan to Dunfermline), Gary Glen, Marian Kello, Mark Ridgers (currently on loan to East Fife), Jamie McDonald, Jonathon Stewart, Denis Prychenko (currently on loan to Raith Rovers), Matthew Park (currently on loan to East Fife), Kevin McHattie, Robert Ogelby (currently on loan to East Fife).

Summer 2014: Danny Grainger, Darren Barr, Andy Webster, Ian Black, Andy Driver, David Templeton, Ryan McGowan, Mehdi Taouil, Craig Thomson (currently on loan to Kaunas), Marius Zaliukas, Scott Robinson, Adrian Mrowiec, Dylan McGowan (currently on loan to Brisbane Roar).

I'd keep the ones in bold, make the boys going out of contract in 2014 earn a new deal, otherwise cash in if we get substantial offers for them this jan/summer.

Must say it's excellent news. Alot of clubs have been in this situation but unlike us have had to pay off players as alot of them are tied up for ages. Let the clear out begin I say!

Brood the youngsters, The futures bright, the futures maroon!

FTH

Salaries and potential of the kids will determine who stays.

If Jonnsonn ans Kello have had salaries delayed they will be offski.

Even though Jonsson has huge feelings for the club.

Every 2012 expiry bar Kello and Stevenson could go and it would not worry me.There must be a good chance that Kello and Stevenson will move in January so I think if we are lucky we might keep a couple of young players from that 2012 list.

Takeshi's Tynecastle

Presumably it is summer 2013 not 2014 for the last lot of players listed?

Having basically your entire squad out of contract in the next 18 months is only excellent news insofar as we're in such a mess that we need to cut the squad down drastically asap.

But it is good news that we will finally be rid of a number of players who, with hindsight, should never have been given such long contracts/high wages, or even contracts at all.

We should do all we can to retain players that we know can take the team forward. For me this is Kello and Stevenson. possibly Eggy as well. Ridgers, Prychynenko and Ogleby have the chance this season to show they are capable of taking steps towards the first team, but we can no longer dish out contracts to all promising youngsters - there has to be a stricter culling or we end up with a squad full of Elliots, Glens, Moles, Siveses etc.

Most pleasing is no mention recently of buying/keeping players with "sell-on potential". If we buy/keep players who are good for the team, and the team actually plays well, then pretty much all players will have sell-on potential.

Hopefully the position we have been forced into means we can take the opportunity to build a sensible squad that we can support from our normal income. Any transfer income should be seen as a bonus to service our debt and fund the odd signing for cash. It might be painful but it is something that has needed to happen for a number of years.

It will be interesting to see where we are this time next year.

Prychynenko was reported as signing a deal till 2014 a while back. My link. Also, Black is meant to be out of contract in the summer as well.

I can't see many of the players being kept so it should be interesting. Seems like it's for the best that most players are out of contract soon.

Eggert Jonsson, Suso Santana, Kevin Kyle, Stephen Elliot, David Obua, Calum Elliott (currently on loan to Dundee), Ryan Stevenson, Jason Thomson (currently on loan to Dunfermline), Gary Glen, Marian Kello, Mark Ridgers (currently on loan to East Fife), Jamie McDonald, Jonathon Stewart, Denis Prychenko (currently on loan to Raith Rovers), Matthew Park (currently on loan to East Fife), Kevin McHattie, Robert Ogelby (currently on loan to East Fife).

Summer 2014: Danny Grainger, Darren Barr, Andy Webster, Ian Black, Andy Driver, David Templeton, Ryan McGowan, Mehdi Taouil, Craig Thomson (currently on loan to Kaunas), Marius Zaliukas, Scott Robinson, Adrian Mrowiec, Dylan McGowan (currently on loan to Brisbane Roar).

These players are all players taht I would happily get shot of today. I like Kyle, Kello but we could easily cope without them by recalling Ridgers from East Fife and playing Macdonald in goals. Kyle I think looks like he is finished and the rest of them are hopeless wage thiefs that I would happily hand the youngers boys that played against Spurs a chance next season. We seriously need a recognised goal scorer as we have done for years.

Special Agent Dale Cooper

Honestly wouldn't miss any of them.

it's kinda depressing to admit that huh? never in my time supporting the club have i witnessed a squad with so few fans' favourites. Bar perhaps Kello the whole squad is eminintly replaceable imho.

it's kinda depressing to admit that huh? never in my time supporting the club have i witnessed a squad with so few fans' favourites. Bar perhaps Kello the whole squad is eminintly replaceable imho.

Yep. Might just be my age though. :thumbsup:

Special Agent Dale Cooper

Yep. Might just be my age though. :thumbsup:

Unless of course you are at least 137 years old that will always be the case! :daisy:

Have the BBC not made one or two mistakes here? Craig Thomson and Ian Black are out of contract at the end of the season.

...and it should read summer 2013...not 2014.

We pay the licence fee for these idiots and they can't get simple things like that correct. :vrface:

Fort Vallance

My only concern with the clearout on the level most of the previous posters are looking forward to is the management teams take on it. They clearly signed up to the job with a significantly higher budget and a bigger squad than they're going to have now. Sergio also hinted that he was looking forward to bringing in his own players, but thats not likely to happen.

I'm far from convinced that the current management team are what we need but I am concerned that yet another change would result in yet more instability at a time we could do without it.

Charlie-Brown

My only concern with the clearout on the level most of the previous posters are looking forward to is the management teams take on it. They clearly signed up to the job with a significantly higher budget and a bigger squad than they're going to have now. Sergio also hinted that he was looking forward to bringing in his own players, but thats not likely to happen.

I'm far from convinced that the current management team are what we need but I am concerned that yet another change would result in yet more instability at a time we could do without it.

Paulo Sergio and his team only have contracts to the end of the season as far as iam aware. I quite like him and I think he talks a lot of sense however I don't expect him to be here long term nad he's probably just puting himself in the shop window for clubs in Portugal or elsewhere?

There are lots of errors in the BBC information, you can find far more accurate & detailed information on all of the players here http://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/en/heart-of-midlothian-fc/startseite/verein_43.html

There are errors on that website aswell.

Take Andy Webster for instance:

http://www.heartsfc.co.uk/articles/20110203/webster-clinches-hearts-return_2241384_2284620

Signed a contract till summer 2013.

That transfermarkt says it's till 2014:

http://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/en/andy-webster/profil/spieler_12610.html

Wouldn't miss them either. :thumbsup:

jamboinglasgow

There are errors on that website aswell.

Take Andy Webster for instance:

http://www.heartsfc.co.uk/articles/20110203/webster-clinches-hearts-return_2241384_2284620

Signed a contract till summer 2013.

That transfermarkt says it's till 2014:

http://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/en/andy-webster/profil/spieler_12610.html

Yeah I am sceptical about that site as well, it says Ian Black is here till 2014.

Yeah I am sceptical about that site as well, it says Ian Black is here till 2014.

I'm not in the least sceptical!!!

I KNOW it's skubala!!! After all it's the British Broadcasting Chumps!

Also Aaron Murdoch (currently recovering from a knee injury) is out of contract in the summer. Pretty sure Darren Murray has high hopes for him but now I'm not sure if he will even have the chance to extend his contract.

this is more for the ones wanting to go on their own accord -and I can appreciate why-

what league will they end up playing in earning the money they earn just now as some of them might not be as good as they think they are, it also needs another team to actually want them

jambos are go!

As I understand it all players have always been paid albeit late at times. So would you rather be paid ?5k a week late or ?2k a week elsewhere on time. No brainer so long as the money always turn up.

Tokyo Drifter

Only ones I'd keep:

Stevo

Kello

Temps

Webster (yup!)

Rudi

Blackie

Ryan McGowan

Taouil

Grainger

Robinson

... and maybe Jason Thompson

Johanes de Silentio

Too early to be thinking about those who are out of contract in 2013, unless there are clubs interested in taking them off our hands - I'd expect most players to dig their heels in, and see out their contracts - as long as they are actually being paid, that is.

A good few players out of contract in 2012, thankfully.

I take it Novikovas is only with us on loan then? Does anyone think he should get another try before getting rid or is he not up to it?

jamboinglasgow

I take it Novikovas is only with us on loan then? Does anyone think he should get another try before getting rid or is he not up to it?

No he is contracted with us. Though he is Lithuanian he has never been contracted to Kaunas. I think he actually should get a run of games where he starts as I dont think he has had more then 2 games in a row when he has started. I think if we put Driver on loan and try and sell Templeton in January then he will get a good run of games. He has talent and looks better each time I see him.

No he is contracted with us. Though he is Lithuanian he has never been contracted to Kaunas. I think he actually should get a run of games where he starts as I dont think he has had more then 2 games in a row when he has started. I think if we put Driver on loan and try and sell Templeton in January then he will get a good run of games. He has talent and looks better each time I see him.

All with contract up, punt them all, start again, lets see how good a manger PS is. :rolleyes:

Hold on. Is this not the same report that the EEN published a few months ago? Good to see the BBC keeping up with the times.:rolleyes:

Charlie-Brown

Will Gary Mackay have any of his players left at Tynecastle next season if Ian Black, Craig Thomson and Gary Glen's contracts are due to run out?

It all depends on what on what sort of money people are after but i would want to keep kello, webster, driver ,templeton, johnsson, grainger and maybe hammil.

Not bothered about anyone else. Unless John Sutton pulls his finger out.

I like Kyle, Kello but we could easily cope without them by recalling Ridgers from East Fife and playing Macdonald in goals.

I've said this in countless other threads about Kello. Yes, he's a cracking keeper but if we're as skint as we think then he has to go. Jamie Mac is more than capable of holding his own in the SPL and Ridgers is an able deputy.

There is still way too much thought being put into this when it's really very simple - anyone who has a decent value contract that expires does not get renewed and we actively seek to sell the quality players still under contract.

We are totally and utterly potless and will operate with youths and a few experienced players going forward. And by experienced I'm talking about people potentially like Jason Thompson and Darren Barr who we all know are not the best but at least know the ropes in the SPL and are probably only on modest contracts.

Johanes de Silentio

Jamie Mac is more than capable of holding his own in the SPL and Ridgers is an able deputy.

I like Jamie Mac, but I wouldn't want him as first choice - ideally, we need a keeper like Niemmi, Gordon, or Kello, who are worth 15 points a season to us - doubtful if we could afford such a keeper.

Jury's out on Ridgers these days, I'd say.

I think there's a lot of dead wood there and players we shouldn't have signed. From those listed;

Webster, Jonsson, Stevenson, Skacel (till may), Temps, Driver, Robinson and MacDonald should all be re-signed.

Guys like Taouil, Suso, Elliot(t), Zaliukas can all go. Kello if we are offered any cash in January will likely go as will Zaliukas. After that though I reckon we'd need to sign a striker. We'd be left with Ogelby and Smith by the looks of things. We'd need an experienced striker to help bring these guys through.

Its when you see them listed like that you really appreciate the salaries involved. It is also noteworthy how many have played minimal games due to injury or not being considered by manager and coaches. With no outlet reserve team for example for the really fringe players, ,it is actually nonsense.

I like Kevin Kyle, I believe sincerely for a very short time he was exactly what we needed, I however wonder if he should have been signed in the first place when his record of injury and particularly hip problems was so well known. I appreciate my hindsight is 20/20, but our record of players unable to be used because of extended injury time is abysmal.

I admire the optimism on show in some threads. We have too many players is true. We have some promising young players is true. The chance of us choosing who stays is remote and the lesson from history is that only a small percentage of young players will improve our team so a bit of realism is required. Yes we are crap just now with our imbalanced squad but people should remember that not long ago they were debating who to sign to fill the gaps. Tough times ahead apart from an improvement in the wage bill. Should have been fun while it lasted!:ermm:

The guys listed are the ones taking us towards a very mediocre (along with manager) season.

No major loss most of them - Kello would be a keep if poss along with Temps. Skacel has moments but nearing the end. Webster when fit is an asset. The full backs are decent but we should be aiming for better.

Sad reflection.

kennyblack'sshot

I admire the optimism on show in some threads. We have too many players is true. We have some promising young players is true. The chance of us choosing who stays is remote and the lesson from history is that only a small percentage of young players will improve our team so a bit of realism is required. Yes we are crap just now with our imbalanced squad but people should remember that not long ago they were debating who to sign to fill the gaps. Tough times ahead apart from an improvement in the wage bill. Should have been fun while it lasted!:ermm:

I like many others thought that we had our best close season since 2005 - signings wise - this year. We signed solid SPL players in positions we needed strengthening. Still think this squad can get us 3rd if they're allowed to.

The players themselves face a dilemma so there may not be a rush for the exits if they can help it. Unless they get an OF move (and only Temps, Kello, Skacel and Webster (plus Driver if fit) would improve the OF's squads or have a real chance of playing) they're looking at a major salary cut to stay in Scotland. So the alternative is hoping a Championship or League 1 teams comes in for them - bit of a gamble, unlikely in most cases and a big upheaval to move.

Keep Eggy, Stevo, Rudi, Sutton, Kyle(wouldnt give up on him), Webster, McGowan, Barr, Driver, Grainger, Robinson, Kello.

Along with youngsters who are doing well in u-19.

Keep Eggy, Stevo, Rudi, Sutton, Kyle(wouldnt give up on him), Webster, McGowan, Barr, Driver, Grainger, Robinson, Kello.

Along with youngsters who are doing well in u-19.

Barr? He is deadwood and should be told to find a new club.

Barr? He is deadwood and should be told to find a new club.

No doubt he will be told to find another.

No doubt either that he won't even think about it if he's being paid.

He is getting in excess of ?5k a week and won't get near that anywhere else.

Now as for Macdonald -- asking for guarantees before he will sign :verymad: -- just move on and go elsewhere then -- you're not so good that you can't be replaced and you will not get another club as good as the one you are at now.

No player gets a guarantee let alone an average goalkeeper and as for moaning about his role as understudy to Kello -- get over it you are nowhere near as good.

Archived